Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Bengals bring back Frank Pollack
(01-10-2021, 03:19 PM)kalibengal Wrote: looking  in to future. ..is Pollack a good candidate for a HC job in case ZT finally implodes? 

No, he is not, but that’s okay. We never need to hire another position coach again and make him head coach. Zac Taylor should be the poster child for “too young, too fast.” Sure, he worked for Sean McVay but so did the Rams’ water boy.

In 2018, at least for the first half of the season, Frank Pollack did an adequate job with the Cincinnati Bengals’ offensive line. The early-season injury to Billy Price certainly didn’t help and at the time the Bengals lacked quality depth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I like Pollack too. I'm just astounded that even when the dates are pointed out, people (you and others) can't seem to accept that Pollack decided to go elsewhere prior to Taylor being hired. 

My bad. Glad he’s back.
Reply/Quote
I'm interested to see how this all plays out. Mixon had a great year under him, but the underperformers still underperformed, so if the OL isn't addressed in FA, it's hard to see them making a major step up.

Also, I don't really put too much into the whole run game coordinator part. That's fine that he'll help with that part of the game, but the OC/playcaller still has to utilize what's being done in the proper way, which means this all still comes to Taylor. For all we know, Turner was a brilliant run game coordinator but the plays he drew up for Zac to use weren't used properly.

I find it interesting that this guy has been an OL coach for 15 years and bounces from one team to the next every couple of years. I think he's an upgrade over Turner, but I'm not dancing naked in the snow to celebrate this hire, either.
Reply/Quote
Good news, I like Pollack and was sad when he left. Surprised he came back honestly.

Good move. I thought there was no chance he would come back here. Upgrade over Turner big time.
Reply/Quote
Excited to hear about the RB and DL coach prospects (I know, desperate, but this is the only "excitement" we get).

Good to have Pollack back. Fresh eyes would have been nice (and a bit of a gamble), but realistically it was probably between Pollack and Alexander with this FO.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 05:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Excited to hear about the RB and DL coach prospects (I know, desperate, but this is the only "excitement" we get).

Good to have Pollack back. Fresh eyes would have been nice (and a bit of a gamble), but realistically it was probably between Pollack and Alexander with this FO.

Who are the DL coach prospects?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 06:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who are the DL coach prospects?

Jay Hayes
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I hope that Pollack is given say in who plays on the line also. And seeing as he has a track record of being able to coach up young linemen (lest we forget he had Price playing pretty decently), I want to see how Adeniji develops and if he can work a miracle and get MJ to be at least backup quality. Plus while turner was here I felt drafting Sewell would be a waste - with Pollack that changes.
Reply/Quote
Frank Pollock's press conference
2nd one down

https://www.bengals.com/#

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 06:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who are the DL coach prospects?

I don't know any. Just meant it's the next two things left of interest. 

I remember when Pollack was hired he was shocked at the lack of practice and training support the Olinemen had. The FO spent on a bunch on equipment/machines/training gadgets for offseason workouts.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
A couple of good/interesting quotes from Pollacks presser:

“We've got a good young quarterback. You've gotta do everything you can to protect him.”

On Zac Taylor: “He's got flexibility. He's open-minded to what we want to do schematically.”

Looks like Pollack will be working to change the current run game scheme and understands that protecting Burrow is paramount.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 09:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: A couple of good/interesting quotes from Pollacks presser:

“We've got a good young quarterback. You've gotta do everything you can to protect him.”

On Zac Taylor: “He's got flexibility. He's open-minded to what we want to do schematically.”

Looks like Pollack will be working to change the current run game scheme and understands that protecting Burrow is paramount.

I will give Taylor credit for one thing *gasp* that’s not the first time I’ve heard the bold.

Now Lou otoh seems to be a “my way or the highway” type coach.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I will give Taylor credit for one thing *gasp* that’s not the first time I’ve heard the bold.

Now Lou otoh seems to be a “my way or the highway” type coach.

I hadn’t seen much flexibility from ZT until this offseason. But, willing to change out coaches and now looking at a scheme tweak, I’ll have to change my view of ZT on that front. I’d still like to see him give up playcalling until he has a better handle on just being the HC.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 09:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: A couple of good/interesting quotes from Pollacks presser:

I want to be so positive and upbeat about this, but a couple of things concern me.  

First, the bolded part in the quote.  I mean really?  Did Turner not get that?  Did anyone not get that?  The real test isn't going to be Pollack's OL coaching, it's going to be what this FO does to boost the OL.  I'd think this comment is a given and doesn't even need to be said.

As far as flexibility, I guess we'll see.  There are a lot of changes to position coaches this year.  Does that really mean Zac is changing things up?  Will he let someone else influence his play calling?  Zac could be the most flexible guy in the room during an interview or in coaches meetings during the week.  But on Sunday, when the plays are being called, is he going to drive it like he has?  He's been "flexible" in his play calling that I've seen up to this point in games.  Unpredictable, gone with different ideas.  They just haven't been the right ideas for the opponents.  And if continues to hold control of the calling, I just don't know that it matters what anyone else is bringing to the table during the week.  Wait and see is all we've got. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 08:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't know any. Just meant it's the next two things left of interest. 

I remember when Pollack was hired he was shocked at the lack of practice and training support the Olinemen had. The FO spent on a bunch on gear for offseason workouts.

I remember Lap talking about how Pollack's training was much different than Paul Alexander's. Pollack had the OL being more aggressive instead of the sit and catch technique than Alexander was utilizing.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 10:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I remember Lap talking about how Pollack's training was much different than Paul Alexander's. Pollack had the OL being more aggressive instead of the sit and catch technique than Alexander was utilizing.

That’s encouraging if we get Sewell. Plays to his strengths.

Reply/Quote
God I hope we get Sewell now.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 07:17 PM)pally Wrote: Frank Pollock's press conference
2nd one down

Really good interview, buzzing already for next season
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 07:17 PM)pally Wrote: Frank Pollock's press conference
2nd one down

I liked that PC. So happy Pollack is back I think he will really help out this entire team immensely.

Really liked what I heard, smart guy Pollack.
Reply/Quote

I don't care about flexibility. Just win, baby!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote