Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Bengals bring back Frank Pollack
(01-09-2021, 10:57 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Not mad at it. Just would bet the retreads happen more here than anywhere and the smaller scouting department and family run operation are why we don't have the larger roladex. 

Outside of Head Coaches a great Offensive Line Coach is the hardest position to fill. 

Pollack has shown he can be a solid OL coach and the Bengals need that. Plus the added Run Game Coordinator is huge and shouldnt be ignored.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 11:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Outside of Head Coaches a great Offensive Line Coach is the hardest position to fill. 

Pollack has shown he can be a solid OL coach and the Bengals need that. Plus the added Run Game Coordinator is huge and shouldnt be ignored.

Agree. Our poor decision 2 years ago cost is dearly. Should've just keep the guy 
Reply/Quote
Unexpected but welcome. Glad they got this done early so the he and Taylor can get on the same page early in the off-season.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 11:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: So, the mastermind behind the Cordy Glenn trade and Billy Price pick is back?

That trade is on Tobin. I’m sure Pollack would have loved to stay put and take Ragnow.

Reply/Quote
Pollack is a good hire - Nicomo is correct. He got a line arguably worse than ours in NY to play somewhat like an NFL line, coached up two extremely good young linemen and got 4.1 YPC from a backfield lacking good backs. In Dallas he did overall a good job and the OL decline was on a different pair of individuals (Garrett and Jones for not retaining needed players).

In his brief stint here he got a bunch of garbage to play relatively decently. Also it should be remembered that it was under Pollack that Price looked to be developing into a good lineman - like a lot of our linemen he regressed under Turner.
Reply/Quote
Welcome back, Coach Pollack.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Glad to see him back. 
Now that they have a better coach, I wonder if they'll give Michael Jordan another chance to protect Joe Burrow at LG? Whatever
I'm sure Mike Brown would hate to lose that $244K in dead money by cutting MJ.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
How did the Jets OL do with Pollack running the show the past two seasons? I'm curious how he did there.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let me be the 1st:

Mixon is just saying what players are told to say. He's really unhappy. 

Ok then let me also be the 1st:

With this hire I predict the Bengal will go 11-5 and win the division next year and finally go deep into the playoffs....YEAHHHH who wants fudge?
Reply/Quote
Sounds like MB is mixing the KoolAid

Reply/Quote
The more I see thi selection less I like it. We needed a fresh start at Oline was hoping we would not look at previous coaches plus as I stated Jets under Pollack did not protect their franchise QB giving up over 90 sacks in 2 years, how can we feel good about that with Burrow. We have been analyzing other Oline candidates and their performance so let's not forget Jets were ranked last in most ranking last 2 years.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 01:08 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The more I see thi selection less I like it. We needed a fresh start at Oline was hoping we would not look at previous coaches plus as I stated Jets under Pollack did not protect their franchise QB giving up over 90 sacks in 2 years, how can we feel good about that with Burrow. We have been analyzing other Oline candidates and their performance so let's not forget Jets were ranked last in most ranking last 2 years.

From Pollack’s first season in NY to his second the Jets improved from 31st in rushing to 23rd, and from 29th in sacks allowed to 23rd. That’s significant improvement in both areas. Especially with one of the worst rosters in the league.

Out of the realistic candidates this was an excellent choice.

Reply/Quote
Welcome back Pollack. A very welcome upgrade over Jim Turner.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 12:32 AM)GodFather Wrote: How did the Jets OL do with Pollack running the show the past two seasons? I'm curious how he did there.

Not good especially protection 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 12:36 AM)GodFather Wrote: Ok then let me also be the 1st:

With this hire I predict the Bengal will go 11-5 and win the division next year and finally go deep into the playoffs....YEAHHHH who wants fudge?

LOL I know you aren’t being serious, but wouldn’t going 12-5 or 11-6 (17 games next season) be fantastic?!?!  

Why can’t we?  With Burrow at QB with a better line that helps both he and the run game, I can see it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let me be the 1st:

Mixon is just saying what players are told to say. He's really unhappy. 

Huh? He was vocal when pollack left that he was pissed that we let pollack go.  So yes he's very happy he is back.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/16/joe-mixon-cryptic-tweet-bengals-letting-frank-pollack-go/amp/
Reply/Quote
I like the move. We should have kept him instead of hiring Turner two years ago. Pollack has a head start in getting to know the personnel. In his one year, the players seemed to be improving under his leadership, rather than regressing with Turner. I’d like to see what he can do. Also shows that Zac isn’t afraid to put ego aside, learn from mistakes, and do what’s best for the team.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:15 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Huh? He was vocal when pollack left that he was pissed that we let pollack go.  So yes he's very happy he is back.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/16/joe-mixon-cryptic-tweet-bengals-letting-frank-pollack-go/amp/

He’s just being sarcastic about people not believing Burrow about Taylor.

Reply/Quote
Going from Turner to Pollack is an upgrade.

However I hope this doesn't point towards the FO rolling with him to use too many existing players.

If we're lucky this means the opposite.

Hopefully with this immediate hire of Pollack means they want his input with FAs and the draft.

You'd think that Frank is probably salivating at the possibility of Sewell for our 1st round pick.

Adding decent proven interior line help via FA being the cherry on top.

Bringing Pollack back might not be the ecstatic hiring some were looking for but with circumstances in place he should progress our O-line well.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm all for a upgrade. Mixon really flourished under his coaching.
Reply/Quote