Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Bengals bring back Frank Pollack
(01-09-2021, 07:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: This is good! Pollack is both OL coach AND run game coordinator. Now make me super happy and announce Joe Walter or Willie as a special technique instructor as well.

looking  in to future. ..is Pollack a good candidate for a HC job in case ZT finally implodes? 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 03:19 PM)kalibengal Wrote: looking  in to future. ..is Pollack a good candidate for a HC job in case ZT finally implodes? 

I’d say promoting another position coach to HC would probably not be a good idea after the ZT experiment...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 03:19 PM)kalibengal Wrote: looking  in to future. ..is Pollack a good candidate for a HC job in case ZT finally implodes? 

(01-10-2021, 03:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d say promoting another position coach to HC would probably not be a good idea after the ZT experiment...

Perhaps he meant as an interim HC, to get through the rest of the season?  In which case I would think that would go to Darrin Simmons, as he is the Asst. to the HC, i.e. the number 2 in command.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 03:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps he meant as an interim HC, to get through the rest of the season?  In which case I would think that would go to Darrin Simmons, as he is the Asst. to the HC, i.e. the number 2 in command.

Yeah, if Taylor gets the axe mid season it’s definitely Simmons. I don’t see that happening no matter bad it gets though.

Reply/Quote
I'm not as high on Pollack as some are, but I'll take him everyday of the week over Turner. 
Reply/Quote
I see Hopkin’s comments as typical for players with new coaches (or old coaches in this case). Pollack gave Hop 8 starts as an injury replacement. Zak/Turner pretty much went with Hop as their starting center from day one. I am always skeptical hearing coaches and players kumbaya comments. More likely IMO is a 29 year old, coming back from a serious knee injury concerned with his 20mil 3 year extension. He will be a cap casualty if he can’t hold his starting spot.

This whole ‘technique’ crap I hear on CJ is pretty laughable. Players just don’t get much practice time on the field anymore. It’s hard to learn when you’re sitting on your butt. Most get their technique refinements at camps nowadays (eg. Willie’s or LeCharles Bentley) or with private coaching in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 05:21 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: I see Hopkin’s comments as typical for players with new coaches (or old coaches in this case).  Pollack gave Hop 8 starts as an injury replacement.  Zak/Turner pretty much went with Hop as their starting center from day one.  I am always skeptical hearing coaches and players kumbaya comments.  More likely IMO is a 29 year old, coming back from a serious knee injury concerned with his 20mil 3 year extension.  He will be a cap casualty if he can’t hold his starting spot.

This whole ‘technique’ crap I hear on CJ is pretty laughable. Players just don’t get much practice time on the field anymore. It’s hard to learn when you’re sitting on your butt.  Most get their technique refinements at camps nowadays (eg. Willie’s or LeCharles Bentley) or with private coaching in the offseason.

This is false. NFL offensive line coaches will coach which technique to use on specific run design. They want it block specifically a certain way. Offseason coaches will help refine those techniques but it's the the OC and Line coach that tells you how when and why.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 11:46 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Good old revision history, I thought he left before Taylor hire some on here just want to blame everything on ZT.. no surprise. ,  now I was open to Pollack being interviewed but once it settled in to the quick hire with, lack.of other interviews and the eye sore of 90 sacks with jets I just felt we should have went different direction and went in a DIY direction. He will be an upgrade though and it actually shows well no bridges were burn. Hope for the best

The announcement of Pollack leaving was made on Jan 15th. The Rams had just had a playoff game 3 days prior and had another one coming up 5 days later. Then the Super Bowl after that.

The Bengals made the announcement about Zac on Feb 4th, the day after the SB, and made the announcements on his picks for coaches on Feb 7th. 

That means Pollack left 3 weeks before Zac was announced. The most likely scenario is that they made contact and Zac told him he was looking at Turner to be Oline coach. I'd also not be surprised to find out that Pollack had reached out and had an agreement with the Jets, if it didn't work out with the Bengals. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/15/frank-pollack-out-bengals-offensive-line-coach/

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let me be the 1st:

Mixon is just saying what players are told to say. He's really unhappy. 

(01-10-2021, 05:21 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: I see Hopkin’s comments as typical for players with new coaches (or old coaches in this case).  Pollack gave Hop 8 starts as an injury replacement.  Zak/Turner pretty much went with Hop as their starting center from day one.  I am always skeptical hearing coaches and players kumbaya comments.  More likely IMO is a 29 year old, coming back from a serious knee injury concerned with his 20mil 3 year extension.  He will be a cap casualty if he can’t hold his starting spot.

This whole ‘technique’ crap I hear on CJ is pretty laughable. Players just don’t get much practice time on the field anymore. It’s hard to learn when you’re sitting on your butt.  Most get their technique refinements at camps nowadays (eg. Willie’s or LeCharles Bentley) or with private coaching in the offseason.

Beat you
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 05:36 PM)Synric Wrote: This is false. NFL offensive line coaches will coach which technique to use on specific run design. They want it block specifically a certain way. Offseason coaches will help refine those techniques but it's the the OC and Line coach that tells you how when and why.

You’re talking about a scheme-oriented approach. Not really what I was talking about. Many of those king of things are put in specifically in walk-through late in the week and are not an overall teachable moments that are central to technique (o-line or otherwise) that apply for players going forward.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 06:54 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: You’re talking about a scheme-oriented approach.  Not really what I was talking about.  Many of those king of things are put in specifically in walk-through late in the week and are not an overall teachable moments that are central to technique (o-line or otherwise) that apply for players going forward.

It starts with installs in May.

The OC and OL coaches tell the offensive line how when why. It's the same at all levels of football. The offensive line and run game coordinators teach show which technique and how they want it blocked on specific run designs. Those plays are the staple of the offense. Yes adjustments are made throughout the year depending on how defenses favor which formations they use but it starts in may with the OC and OL coach teaching how when and why.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Good God People....really?

Lol. I have a name. My profile is only representative of one person (me).

Is there an Offensive Line Coach you would prefer (who’s available)?

I like Pollack. Zac screwed up replacing him with Turner. Maybe Boling doesn’t retire if he was the coach (speculation, I know). This offensive line would have likely looked better if he kept Pollack. This was Zac’s most obvious screw up when putting his staff together. He corrected it. Mixon and others approve of the hire. This is good news in my book (haven’t actually written a book, but you know what I mean).
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 07:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But that doesn't make Zac look bad. 

Zac doesn't need any help in looking bad. He's done a great job of that all by himself.

Selecting his friend Turner and the horrible job he's done with the running game is just a couple of those things he did that made himself look as bad as he actually is.

I see it as Taylor/Callahan having the running game taken away from them. Next will be the exit door, but sadly we'll have to wait another year for that to happen.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:14 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Zac doesn't need any help in looking bad. He's done a great job of that all by himself.

Selecting his friend Turner and the horrible job he's done with the running game is just a couple of those things he did that made himself look as bad as he actually is.

I see it as Taylor/Callahan having the running game taken away from them. Next will be the exit door, but sadly we'll have to wait another year for that to happen.

I agree 100%. So why do folks try so hard? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree 100%. So why do folks try so hard? 

LOL

I only try to counter his supporters. But I do see your point.

Reply/Quote
what good is a run coordinator if the Coach wont call the run plays lol
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:04 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Lol. I have a name. My profile is only representative of one person (me).

Is there an Offensive Line Coach you would prefer (who’s available)?

I like Pollack. Zac screwed up replacing him with Turner. Maybe Boling doesn’t retire if he was the coach (speculation, I know). This offensive line would have likely looked better if he kept Pollack. This was Zac’s most obvious screw up when putting his staff together. He corrected it. Mixon and others approve of the hire. This is good news in my book (haven’t actually written a book, but you know what I mean).

I like Pollack too. I'm just astounded that even when the dates are pointed out, people (you and others) can't seem to accept that Pollack decided to go elsewhere prior to Taylor being hired. 
Reply/Quote
The biggest red flags I see here are his inability to develop guys like Obghui, Price, and Fisher. We didn't really produce any quality lineman from our draft when he was here.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The biggest red flags I see here are his inability to develop guys like Obghui, Price, and Fisher. We didn't really produce any quality lineman from our draft when he was here.

I think you can take Fisher off that list. He developed heart problems and likely would have floundered under any coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The biggest red flags I see here are his inability to develop guys like Obghui, Price, and Fisher. We didn't really produce any quality lineman from our draft when he was here.

Player development  ultimately falls on the player. At the end 
Of the day only he can decide if he succeeds or fails.
Pollack cant suit up and play his position for him
Reply/Quote