Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prospects The Bengals Met With
(03-02-2016, 11:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Why not?  We got Iloka in the 5th round and he is a very good talent they developed.  It seems if you aren't elite fast as a safety, they don't get drafted very high.  If you watch Fej, he would be making tackles on consecutive plays (and solo tackles at that) in completely different ends of the field.  The guy just has outstanding football IQ.  

Obviously, there are more pressing needs than our 4th safety (WR, DE, DT) but if he is available in round 5, I could see the Bengals making a run at him.  

Here's the safety history under Marvin Lewis:

Madieu Williams
Ethan Kilmer
Marvin White
Chinedum Ndukwe
Corey Lynch
Robert Sands
George Iloka
Shawn Williams
Derron Smith

Yep, we've hit on a lot of these safeties.

Iloka has clearly worked out. Williams didn't get significant playing time until this year, and we have no idea what Lee can provide. All the other safeties didn't work out. That's why I'm not high on relying on another late round safety.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 10:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yep. Could be an indication that the Bengals are wanting to move on from Lamur going forward.

They will. Eman had his chance to solidify his roster spot, and blew it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Say it aint so...

Man it would just suck not to get a decent DT out of this extremely deep class.

Would be a major screw up IMHO.
100% on board with you.   Hopefully Duke and Guenther bang the table hard for this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Also saw that the Bengals have an interest in LB Josh Forrest, LB from Kentucky
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 04:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Also saw that the Bengals have an interest in LB Josh Forrest, LB from Kentucky

Great. Another late round project.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 05:47 PM)3wt Wrote: 100% on board with you.   Hopefully Duke and Guenther bang the table hard for this.

Those are the two guys that give me hope.

That new Hobspin piece frickin pissed me off. The coaches love Peko blah blah blah... Sad
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 10:05 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Great. Another late round project.

He's actually not that bad. He's a poor man's Reggie Ragland in this draft. Little more atheltic but has more trouble recognizing plays. He's also pretty raw.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Those are the two guys that give me hope.

That new Hobspin piece frickin pissed me off. The coaches love Peko blah blah blah... Sad

It was a knee jerk reaction to people saying that Peko is inferior.   He's a good DT - but his snap count is dropping.   2015 showed he can still play quality ball if he's not in there too often.

The assumption coming out of that opinion is that we already have enough at the run stopping position.  That's what really frustrates me about Hobson's take.   What has Thompson's "quick first step" done for us in the last 3 years???  Pretty much nothing.  Neither Sims or Thompson can stay on the field, so Peko's snap count goes up and his efficacy goes down.  And our failure at crunch time continues.

You know the definition of stupid...

Everyone has their priority for what we need, and we could go in a lot of directions depending on what's available and who we've signed.

My priorities are stopping the run, running the ball and covering linebackers and TEs in about that order (though I could reverse the first two depending on the level of talent available).

It seems to me that the best talent available for stopping the run is available in the first round.   In the 2nd round we could get LUCKY with Austin Johnson or Kenny Clark.  I'm not a fan of Washington and Chris Jones does not have much production. I think waiting till the 2nd round lowers the odds of getting the quality DT we want.

There are other interesting producers like Hargrove and Ridgeway - but I'm not sold on taking them in the 2nd round.

Statistics are deceiving.  And though we have a good record against the run, we were not able to stop the run when it counted last season.  Nor could we run the ball when we wanted.

My dream would be to upgrade at DT and Center in the first two rounds and get a good 3 down backer or at least a LB/S hybrid who could cover on 3rd down in the 3rd round.

Everything beyond that is gravy this year.    If we keep our corners, and one each of our safeties and Marvin Jones and upgrade the offensive and defensive interior we have a Super Bowl team.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 12:34 PM)3wt Wrote: It was a knee jerk reaction to people saying that Peko is inferior.   He's a good DT - but his snap count is dropping.   2015 showed he can still play quality ball if he's not in there too often.

The assumption coming out of that opinion is that we already have enough at the run stopping position.  That's what really frustrates me about Hobson's take.   What has Thompson's "quick first step" done for us in the last 3 years???  Pretty much nothing.  Neither Sims or Thompson can stay on the field, so Peko's snap count goes up and his efficacy goes down.  And our failure at crunch time continues.

You know the definition of stupid...

Everyone has their priority for what we need, and we could go in a lot of directions depending on what's available and who we've signed.

My priorities are stopping the run, running the ball and covering linebackers and TEs in about that order (though I could reverse the first two depending on the level of talent available).

It seems to me that the best talent available for stopping the run is available in the first round.   In the 2nd round we could get LUCKY with Austin Johnson or Kenny Clark.  I'm not a fan of Washington and Chris Jones does not have much production. I think waiting till the 2nd round lowers the odds of getting the quality DT we want.

There are other interesting producers like Hargrove and Ridgeway - but I'm not sold on taking them in the 2nd round.

Statistics are deceiving.  And though we have a good record against the run, we were not able to stop the run when it counted last season.  Nor could we run the ball when we wanted.

My dream would be to upgrade at DT and Center in the first two rounds and get a good 3 down backer or at least a LB/S hybrid who could cover on 3rd down in the 3rd round.

Everything beyond that is gravy this year.    If we keep our corners, and one each of our safeties and Marvin Jones and upgrade the offensive and defensive interior we have a Super Bowl team.

Nice post, the thing about this Draft is we could get a very good DT in the first 3 rounds that is better than everyone
but Geno in my honest opinion. Peko had a decent year but as you say the guys behind him did not and Geno was the
main reason for Peko's decent season.

If we just had a guy besides Geno that actually was good all by himself the whole team would benefit.

Center cannot be ignored as you state and an athletic Linebacker would also make a huge difference. Burfict is out for
the first three games afterall. We need a Linebacker that can cover TE's and chase down RB's badly. Dawson may be
that dude but we need to hedge that bet with another addition. Travathan would be a great FA pick. Doubt it happens
but this would really help our team.

But this is why i usually do not do a Mock Draft until after FA. Just too many ifs goin on.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 05:23 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He's actually not that bad. He's a poor man's Reggie Ragland in this draft. Little more atheltic but has more trouble recognizing plays. He's also pretty raw.

It's just that the guy didn't start playing football until his junior year in high school. He's also moved from WR to becoming the popular S/LB hybrid before becoming a full time LB.

If they take him, then I'm hoping for a later round pick. I don't want another 3rd round project.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 04:03 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's just that the guy didn't start playing football until his junior year in high school. He's also moved from WR to becoming the popular S/LB hybrid before becoming a full time LB.

If they take him, then I'm hoping for a later round pick. I don't want another 3rd round project.

Well, they were looking at Killebrew. So it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted him to play the S/LB hybrid.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 04:08 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Well, they were looking at Killebrew. So it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted him to play the S/LB hybrid.

I'd rather roll with Killebrew between the two, but Killebrew apparently was awful in the interview process.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 04:19 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'd rather roll with Killebrew between the two, but Killebrew apparently was awful in the interview process.

Hope that's true.  Might make him available in the third.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 08:11 PM)3wt Wrote: Hope that's true.  Might make him available in the third.

CBS has him 3/4 I'm thinking he may be there in 4 now.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals talked with Rutgers OLB Quentin Gause after his pro day today.
Reply/Quote
At Colorado's pro day, Bengals had a private interview with 6'6 322lbs OT Stephane Nembot.

Nembot is projected as a late round pick.
Reply/Quote
Updated. Kind of surprised there hasn't been more names announced for the Bengals since they've been going to a few pro days.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 03:19 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I am more interested when we start finding out who is visiting. We seem to draft or bring in a lot of players that we bring in for workouts or private visits.

Out of around 30 some visits that were reported they ended up drafting ..
Cedric Ogbuehi - Visit
Jake Fisher - Visit
Paul Dawson - Visit
Marcus Hardison - Visit
Josh Shaw - Visit
Derron Smith - Visit

and then they also signed as UDFA two others...
Jake Kumerow (Workout)
Terrell Watson (Workout)
Tom Obarski (Workout)

They did not visit with or have a private meeting with Eifert though, surprisingly.

The Bengals are pretty good at holding their cards. Dennard and Hardison did not think the Bengals were going to take them.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 04:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Usually there's always a thread like this every year, so figured I'd start one this year.
If there are any other meetings/interviews I'll update the list.

Corey Coleman, WR. Baylor. - Combine
Miles Killebrew, S. Southern Utah. - Combine
Jay Lee, WR. Baylor. - Senior Bowl
Clayton Fejedelem, FS. Illinois. - East-West
David Onyemata, DT. Manitoba. - East-West
Mackenzie Alexander, CB. Clemson - Combine
Quentin Gause, OLB. Rutgers - Pro Day
Stephane Nembot, OT. Colorado - Pro Day
Zeth Ramsay, OT. Mesa State - Pro Day
Zack Sanchez, CB. Oklahoma - Pro Day

I really like him, hope we can grab him in the 3rd/4th and be set at CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2016, 05:44 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Updated. Kind of surprised there hasn't been more names announced for the Bengals since they've been going to a few pro days.

I'm sure we'll hear about more as players make their pre-draft visits. I know some teams have asked prospects to not post any visit information on social media so teams can keep their needs and board more private.
Reply/Quote