Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protesting and Legality of Blocking Highways
Just curious what everyone's take on this is.

In Missouri, There was an SUV that was stuck in the front of a BLM Protest that was blocking the highway and she spoke to an officer and then shortly afterwards pushed her way thru the crowd. No one was injured, but her SUV did suffer $5k damage, and 2 protestors were charged with damaging her SUV. This is just the first one that I've heard that's recently pushed their way thru the crowd, but there have been many protests blocking highways recently.

What I don't get is why the Police are not removing the protestors asap? Are they trying to avoid a confrontation?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
My guess is it requires too many bodies and they're worried about any violence that may occur if they do. They also may not be prepared to detain that many people if they resist.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-13-2016, 03:48 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Just curious what everyone's take on this is.

In Missouri, There was an SUV that was stuck in the front of a BLM Protest that was blocking the highway and she spoke to an officer and then shortly afterwards pushed her way thru the crowd. No one was injured, but her SUV did suffer $5k damage, and 2 protestors were charged with damaging her SUV. This is just the first one that I've heard that's recently pushed their way thru the crowd, but there have been many protests blocking highways recently.

What I don't get is why the Police are not removing the protestors asap? Are they trying to avoid a confrontation?

I think it is stupid to block any road while protesting.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
My thoughts are that it is stupid to do so & unlawful. Also up in Chicago some members of the BLM protest was trying to disrupt the local Taste of Chicago festival held annually, like are done in a lot of cities. If this is going to be an ongoing tactic by some BLM protestors, they arent going to win over many people by disrupting peaceful/community events that in essence indirectly bring people to together.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Screw around in cincinnati and one of these people driving around shooting up heroin is going to mow through the crowd. Guess they wont be satisfied until a bunch of people get hurt or killed for playing around on the highway.
It doesn't help their image to block highways. A narrow artery or in front of a court house etc I'm good with. Also in the old days these tactics were to draw attention to causes better. But today's media is already there beforehand now in droves. It is not needed to block highways. It looks inconsiderate to drivers who genuinely need to be at places.
Blocking a highway is the equivalent of a national heart attack. It's probably not ok.
(07-13-2016, 05:41 PM)Goalpost Wrote: It doesn't help their image to block highways.  A narrow artery or in front of a court house etc I'm good with.  Also in the old days these tactics were to draw attention to causes better.  But today's media is already there beforehand now in droves.  It is not needed to block highways.  It looks inconsiderate to drivers who genuinely need to be at places.

I think we all agree that it's wrong of them to be blocking the highways. And you are right on that last line. People need to get to work, truckers need to get their goods delivered on time, etc.

Now, to state this another way, is it legal what the lady did by driving through a group that was blocking her path.

The cops haven't charged her (the SUV driver) with anything and the protesters claim she should be charged.
(07-13-2016, 06:13 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Now, to state this another way, is it legal what the lady did by driving through a group that was blocking her path.

The cops haven't charged her (the SUV driver) with anything and the protesters claim she should be charged.

As long as the woman claims that she feared for her life.
The insurance will pay for the damages, then sue any individuals that are found to be responsible.
I could see the insurance companies suing cities for failing to disperse such things.
The sad thing is that somebody WILL die in one of these instances.
It's just a matter of time.
Didn't Reginald Denny stop because protesters blocked the way?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-13-2016, 06:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't Reginald Denny stop because protesters blocked the way?

Yes he did, and he's also probably the reason many truckers pack heat. They all think to themselves that they are not going to be the next "Denny".
(07-13-2016, 06:13 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Now, to state this another way, is it legal what the lady did by driving through a group that was blocking her path.

Depends on the location. Jaywalking is not a law that exists in Virginia, but the road belongs to vehicles. If there is a sidewalk that is passable, then you can be cited for walking in the road. A pedestrian does not have the right of way in that situation, or if they are not crossing the road in a crosswalk (and if there is a pedestrian symbol it must give them the go, or if the pedestrian was in the crosswalk before the vehicle approached).

So, unless someone is striking the pedestrians purposely they aren't doing anything illegal in Virginia.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
According to NC General Statutes, it would be a felony, likely to include several other charges, on many levels, particularly if it would be classified as a riot or civil disturbance.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_36A.html

At above link, you can read all the legalese, as it pertains to unlawful assemblies in NC.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

[Image: 13654206_998033746984577_634883506745300...e=57EC759F]

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Standing on a freeway?

#BlackLivesScatter or else #BlackLivesSplatter
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Looks like some plans for protesting in 37 cities this Friday.

http://pastebin.com/t51Y8x8c
(07-14-2016, 04:02 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Looks like some plans for protesting in 37 cities this Friday.

http://pastebin.com/t51Y8x8c

This is such a stupid means of protesting. You get attention, but you get just as much hate.

Also, if they wanted to make a scene in Baltimore, they should have planned it an hour earlier and a couple of blocks west. It would have disrupted the O's game.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-14-2016, 09:42 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This is such a stupid means of protesting. You get attention, but you get just as much hate.

Also, if they wanted to make a scene in Baltimore, they should have planned it an hour earlier and a couple of blocks west. It would have disrupted the O's game.

Probably wasn't planned by a local.
If you want to hold an event, then organize it with the municipality. You will get a police presence for security, you will have an area blocked off for you if it is requested and approved, and people may be inconvenienced but at least it will all be done legitimately. Rights are not limitless, and the sooner people recognize this, the better. These people need to make friends with those that understand bureaucracy to help them out. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR