Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Proud Boys
(01-08-2021, 01:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: Do you consider Boogaloo boys far right? One shot and killed two federal security officers back in May in Oakland.

Actually, they are a mix of both, so it would depend completely on which group of them we'd be talking about.  Boogaloo groups want a civil war and there are crackpots on both ends of the spectrum who desire this.

Quote:Also this details some of the Far-Right crime on cops.
https://start.umd.edu/sites/default/files/files/media/Far-Right_Attacks_on_US_Law_Enforcement_PressRelease.pdf

The other issue is that the Far Right has infiltrated local law enforcement itself. As far back as 2006 the FBI was warning people about the growth of Far Right memebers in LE.

Yeah, I've had a training on this.  A department would have to have a very poor background check system in place to have this happen, so this is largely a problem for smaller, or underfunded departments.  Of course, there's no way to prevent a person from morphing into that ideology after they are hired.  I can say from first hand experience that this is not an issue in the Los Angeles are (although we have our own problems) but, again, this could be evidence of the far left state in which I reside.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, I've had a training on this.  A department would have to have a very poor background check system in place to have this happen, so this is largely a problem for smaller, or underfunded departments.  Of course, there's no way to prevent a person from morphing into that ideology after they are hired.  I can say from first hand experience that this is not an issue in the Los Angeles are (although we have our own problems) but, again, this could be evidence of the far left state in which I reside.

It tends to be smaller towns where the lines blur. People know each other so hire people they know from what I understand. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 01:41 PM)Benton Wrote: Dunno about that guy. The only Id I've seen is the newly elected pro trump state rep that was filming himself
Pretty phenomenal rhythm guitarist Jon Shaffer of Iced Earth is a Trump supporter. I love Thrash(Iced Earth is not Thrash) but JS has some of the most amazing triplet picking you'll ever hear.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/iced-earth-guitarist-jon-schaffer-photographed-storming-the-us-capitol-building-during-pro-trump-riot

[Image: X8AmaMcN7RURyRtftJzVTd-970-80.jpg.webp]

He wrote this ballad after 9/11

Here's some of that amazing triplet picking AKA horse trot picking back in 1999 (guitarist on the left)

That's probably the tightest band that he put together, but he's hard to work with and can't keep a steady lineup. Gonna be hard to travel to other countries now.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:17 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Pretty phenomenal rhythm guitarist Jon Shaffer of Iced Earth is a Trump supporter. I love Thrash(Iced Earth is not Thrash) but JS has some of the most amazing triplet picking you'll ever hear.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/iced-earth-guitarist-jon-schaffer-photographed-storming-the-us-capitol-building-during-pro-trump-riot

[Image: X8AmaMcN7RURyRtftJzVTd-970-80.jpg.webp]

He wrote this ballad after 9/11

Here's some of that amazing triplet picking AKA horse trot picking back in 1999 (guitarist on the left)

That's probably the tightest band that he put together, but he's hard to work with and can't keep a steady lineup. Gonna be hard to travel to other countries now.

I discovered them when Richard Christy joined the Stern Show.  They're older stuff is pretty good.  I was a huge metalhead in High School, graduated in '92, the year that saw Metallica sell out.  I can't tell you how many shows I saw in those days; Slayer, Maiden, Anthrax, Testament, Corrosion of Conformity, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Type O Negative, Megadeth, Metallica, hell I saw Pantera at a club called the Cowboy Boogie that only holds a few hundred people.  For newer stuff Amon Amarth and, amusingly, Dethklok are tops.  Brendon Small is so criminally underrated it's not even funny.  I even started getting into Dimmu Borgir who write surprisingly good melodies for a Swedish Death Metal band.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I discovered them when Richard Christy joined the Stern Show.  They're older stuff is pretty good.  I was a huge metalhead in High School, graduated in '92, the year that saw Metallica sell out.  I can't tell you how many shows I saw in those days; Slayer, Maiden, Anthrax, Testament, Corrosion of Conformity, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Type O Negative, Megadeth, Metallica, hell I saw Pantera at a club called the Cowboy Boogie that only holds a few hundred people.  For newer stuff Amon Amarth and, amusingly, Dethklok are tops.  Brendon Small is so criminally underrated it's not even funny.  I even started getting into Dimmu Borgir who write surprisingly good melodies for a Swedish Death Metal band.

Geez I'm way outta the loop on this stuff.  Does the Baker Gurvitz Army count as heavy metal?  I've got their records.

And to make this on topic, it's still hilarious that Trump assured his mob that he was going to walk with them to the capitol and then he just got in a limo and left. I've never seen someone who is so able to just lie to people's faces and to see them completely disregard it. I mean, it's possible one supporter there was like "Yeah! Wait...he's not coming with us. Screw this." but I doubt it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Geez I'm way outta the loop on this stuff.  Does the Baker Gurvitz Army count as heavy metal?  I've got their records.

And to make this on topic, it's still hilarious that Trump assured his mob that he was going to walk with them to the capitol and then he just got in a limo and left.  I've never seen someone who is so able to just lie to people's faces and to see them completely disregard it.  I mean, it's possible one supporter there was like "Yeah!  Wait...he's not coming with us.  Screw this." but I doubt it.

Hah, you're not out of the loop, most of the bands I mentioned are old school metal.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:11 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Hah, you're not out of the loop, most of the bands I mentioned are old school metal.

Well, Adrian Gurvitz was making music for General Hospital a decade after that, but hey those older albums rock pretty hard!

Side note, here is a forbes writeup on the 5 deaths:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/01/08/woman-possibly-crushed-to-death-these-are-the-five-people-who-died-amid-pro-trump-riots/?sh=3dc79a71737c&fbclid=IwAR0_Prc-jgXX3ILid55Q1Gn-YdeUTcqZSMAvXoZogpsfXmcN-aQWxoa4AQo

I can only imagine that when these people pictured dying for a cause the cause was more than "I'm going to get crushed by a mob of people eager to put a MAGA hat on a Gerald Ford statue and literally urinate on the senate floor.
Reply/Quote
While they can continue to spin and stretch beyond the realm of reality the truth is this was a right wing event.

That's the cold hard fact.  Not "my mom's friend knows a guy who's sister saw something on a website on the dark web that proves the left was at least a small part of this so the Proud Boys and Maga are now absolved and anyone that is still blaming them is delusional and partisan!"

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/extremists-made-little-secret-ambitions-occupy-capital-weeks-attack-n1253499

Quote:Extremists made little secret of ambitions to 'occupy' Capitol in weeks before attack

On Thursday, Washington Police Chief Robert Contee said at a news conference that there was "no intelligence that suggested there would be a breach of the U.S. Capitol."

[Image: 210108-capitol-riot-se-1029a_c3e5a9fb684...t-760w.jpg]
Trump supporters gather in front of the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.Jon Cherry / Getty Images

Jan. 8, 2021, 11:58 AM EST / Updated Jan. 8, 2021, 12:36 PM EST
By Ben Collins and Brandy Zadrozny
A digital flyer made public on Instagram and Facebook in December made little secret of the ambitions of some of the people planning to visit Washington on Jan. 6: “Operation Occupy the Capitol.”

That call to arms is just one of the many warning signs on extremist sites and mainstream social media platforms that extremism experts say were easy to spot but ultimately disregarded by law enforcement in the runup to Wednesday's riot at the Capitol, which led to the deaths of five people, including Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, 42, who was reportedly hit with a fire extinguisher during the melee.

On the fringe message board 8kun, which is popular with QAnon followers, for example, users talked for weeks about a siege of the Capitol, some talking about it like a foregone conclusion. Others simply debated how violent the uprising should be, and if police should be exempt.

"You can go to Washington on Jan 6 and help storm the Capital," said one 8kun user a day before the siege. "As many Patriots as can be. We will storm the government buildings, kill cops, kill security guards, kill federal employees and agents, and demand a recount.”

Some users pushed back. “Why kill cops and security guards? I was under the impression the enemies were the high government officials and the rest are uninformed masses?” The Network Contagion Research Institute, a nonprofit that tracks disinformation trends, cataloged some of the threats before the rally. They said there was a substantial uptick in insurrectionist hashtags both on extremist sites and on the open web, specifically a large bump in traffic around the hashtags “1776” and “Occupy” in the night before the rally.

[Image: 1610110372521_tdy_news_7a_gabe_capitol_q...60x428.jpg]

How Trump’s connection to conspiracy theory community fueled Capitol riot
JAN. 8, 202103:34

[/url][url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=How%20Trump%E2%80%99s%20connection%20to%20conspiracy%20theory%20community%20fueled%20Capitol%20riot&via=nbcnews&url=https://www.today.com/video/how-trump-s-connection-to-conspiracy-theory-community-fueled-capitol-riot-99131461898&original_referer=https://www.today.com/video/how-trump-s-connection-to-conspiracy-theory-community-fueled-capitol-riot-99131461898]
“When you have tens of thousands of attendees convinced they are a part of a plan to imprison or overthrow lawmakers, however, this possibility, even at a low noise, becomes a plausible threat,” said Alex Goldenberg, the institute’s lead intelligence analyst.

On Thursday, Washington Police Chief Robert Contee said at a news conference that there was "no intelligence that suggested there would be a breach of the U.S. Capitol."

Users on extremist sites have continued to urge armed insurrection even after Wednesday’s siege.

Denver Riggleman, a former Republican congressman from Virginia who has been warning for months about potential violence from QAnon supporters, said he is particularly worried about extremist groups in the 12 days remaining in President Donald Trump’s presidency.

“I think we better be ready for Jan. 20, and I mean at every state Capitol that was contested, also,” Riggleman said. “We need a coordinated effort to detect groups planning now for Inauguration Day — a whole-of-government approach with public trust, data companies and research universities.”

Reports from numerous news organizations warned that online forums were being flooded with calls for mayhem.

A day before the rally, the investigative journalism website Bellingcat published an article detailing the online convergence of radical conservative groups with QAnon and white supremecist groups leading up to what the president promised would be a “wild protest,” specifically mentioning their online discussion about storming and burning the Capitol and specific threats directed at D.C. government officials and police.

The Washington Post published a similar article, citing specific posts on the encrypted app Telegram and Parler, a Twitter alternative, about sneaking illegal weapons into the rally. NBC News also published an article highlighting the threats, using research from Advance DemocracyInc., a global research organization that studies disinformation and extremism.

“Proud Boys and Hardcore Trump Supporters Are Turning Their Backs on Cops,” was the headline at Vice News on Tuesday, reporting that the arrest of the Proud Boys leader Henry “Enrique” Tarrio, 36, by D.C. police had resulted in online threats from members to “burn down” the Capitol.

Trump urged his supporters to join his rally in the days before the event. Once at the rally, he urged his supporters to march on the Capitol
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
I did not know he was Antifa/"the left".

Reply/Quote
Ok, so the mob was ANTIFA...Trump cheered them on from his viewing party and then said he loved them, why? This is so stupid. It would be like when Jeremy Hill fumbled in that 2015 playoff game and Bengals fans were like "Jeremy Hill sucks and what he did was bad and he is also on the Steelers not the Bengals."
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I discovered them when Richard Christy joined the Stern Show.  They're older stuff is pretty good.  I was a huge metalhead in High School, graduated in '92, the year that saw Metallica sell out.  I can't tell you how many shows I saw in those days; Slayer, Maiden, Anthrax, Testament, Corrosion of Conformity, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Type O Negative, Megadeth, Metallica, hell I saw Pantera at a club called the Cowboy Boogie that only holds a few hundred people.  For newer stuff Amon Amarth and, amusingly, Dethklok are tops.  Brendon Small is so criminally underrated it's not even funny.  I even started getting into Dimmu Borgir who write surprisingly good melodies for a Swedish Death Metal band.
I graduated in 85 . . . I waited on Master Of Puppets to be released.
Jamey: Dude, I just went to the record store!
Me: What did you get?
J: New Queensryche - Rage For Order
M: Cool, I read it's a bit different than The Warning
J: I also got the new Van Halen with Sammy, 5150
M: COOL! I always liked Sammy Hagar more than Van Halen, this should be interesting. Anything else?
J: New Metallica album called Mast . . .
M: I'M ON MY WAY!!!! *click*

The sad part is that Metallica put out three of the greatest Metal albums ever in a three year period and their next seven studio albums came out in the next 30 years. Really dig their last album, though, and I'm actually excited about them working on a new album.

Later, I was into Old Man's Child and then main man Galder got the guitar gig in Dimmu Borgir so that opened them up to me. You're right about the melodies. Most European music is based off of Classical music and arrangements, including the Death Metal, and almost all American music is based off of Blues. Completely different harmonies, melodies and song structures. Most of my favorite bands are European.

After Metal died in '92, it more or less stayed dead in America, but it ***** exploded in Europe in '97-'98. My previously stagnant for 5 years Metal CD collection (about 300) doubled from '98 until about 2006 when I got out of radio for the 2nd time. Since 2010, it's been almost all vinyl from almost every style. From my 250 original back in the day LPs in 2010 to over 4,000 LPs and also 3,800 45 rpm 7 inch records today. That's 32 Sierra Nevada 12 pack bottle boxes packed full of 45 rpm records. I'll sell off most of my collection once I finally record all of them, about 3/4 done.

Alright, enough off-topic.

Trump not going to the inauguration . . . does this lower or raise the chances of a repeat of Wednesday's uprising? I'm thinking the Proud Boys and other groups are a bit too wary of the publicity that they got and stay home. They know that the Biden administration is not going to look the other way like Trump did and they'll never be able to repeat the success that they had on Wednesday.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 04:12 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Trump not going to the inauguration . . . does this lower or raise the chances of a repeat of Wednesday's uprising? I'm thinking the Proud Boys and other groups are a bit too wary of the publicity that they got and stay home. They know that the Biden administration is not going to look the other way like Trump did and they'll never be able to repeat the success that they had on Wednesday.

I omitted the other stuff, but trust that I read it all.  I don't think you see a repeat of that any time soon.  I doubt they still hold their opposition rally on the same day as inauguration either.  One interesting tidbit though, I keep seeing how the police response would have been different if this was a BLM or other protest.  While I do not believe this to be true I will say that any future such attempts, by any group, will meet with a much harsher response.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 04:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I omitted the other stuff, but trust that I read it all.  I don't think you see a repeat of that any time soon.  I doubt they still hold their opposition rally on the same day as inauguration either.  One interesting tidbit though, I keep seeing how the police response would have been different if this was a BLM or other protest.  While I do not believe this to be true I will say that any future such attempts, by any group, will meet with a much harsher response.

Just look at what the DC Metro PD did to them that evening. If you can find some of those clips, you can see they weren't playing around once curfew hit.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 04:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Just look at what the DC Metro PD did to them that evening. If you can find some of those clips, you can see they weren't playing around once curfew hit.

And that is how it should be with every single group from now on.
Reply/Quote
Maybe we didn't hear about right wing violence in places like Oregon becuase they didn't need to break into building there...the GOP just let them in.   Mellow

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2021/01/video-clearly-shows-rep-mike-nearman-helping-right-wing-demonstrators-breach-oregon-capitol.html

Quote:

Security video obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive under a public records request clearly shows Rep. Mike Nearman, a Republican from Independence, open two doors to the Capitol during a Dec. 21 special legislative session, allowing violent demonstrators who were protesting immediately outside the door to illegally enter the building.

Oregon’s Capitol was and is closed to the public due to the pandemic, although journalists are allowed inside to report on proceedings and the meetings are streamed live and archived online.

The demonstrators, many of whom were unmasked and some of whom carried rifles, objected to the state’s coronavirus restrictions and sought to disrupt the session underway. State troopers and Salem police ultimately prevented them from entering the building’s rotunda or reaching the House or Senate chambers, but not before some of the rioters allegedly sprayed six troopers with a chemical substance that was reportedly pepper spray. The video shows spray being deployed.

Some demonstrators physically attacked journalists who were reporting on the event. At least one person was arrested after trying to enter the Capitol by breaking the window in a door. People also gained entrance without breaking in — and this security footage shows exactly how.

At least two people have so far been arrested on charges related to the breach on the morning of Dec. 21.

House Speaker Tina Kotek said on Thursday that legislative leaders were exploring how they could sanction any lawmaker who aided rioters in forcing their way into the Capitol on Dec. 21. Oregon State Police are investigating the incident, she said.

House Republicans never responded to a request for comment on the incident Thursday.

— Hillary Borrud

Weird.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 05:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe we didn't hear about right wing violence in places like Oregon becuase they didn't need to break into building there...the GOP just let them in.   Mellow

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2021/01/video-clearly-shows-rep-mike-nearman-helping-right-wing-demonstrators-breach-oregon-capitol.html

Weird.  Mellow

Except we did hear about them, it was reported on the news.  
Reply/Quote
This is interesting.....

MAGA turning on Trump?

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/08/maga-internet-turns-on-trump-456490?fbclid=IwAR0S71g79ItCoy-VRF7QmlG54UmDa2JBw3umNDfOoxa7qXZfQZheCB3W0RA
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 06:05 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: This is interesting.....

MAGA turning on Trump?

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/08/maga-internet-turns-on-trump-456490?fbclid=IwAR0S71g79ItCoy-VRF7QmlG54UmDa2JBw3umNDfOoxa7qXZfQZheCB3W0RA

This is why I say that Trumpism isn't going away. These people had Trump as a rallying point, but they existed before he came to prominence and they will exist long after.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 06:05 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: This is interesting.....

MAGA turning on Trump?

Wait... So you mean to tell me this huckster ass conman doesn't care about his minions? I'm shocked.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote