Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punter Dru Chrisman
Dru was signed to a futures contract for the 2022 season. This will make his approximately 347th time with the Bengals.

Seriously though, if this weekend turns out the way we hope I can see Kevin and Clark both retiring.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I don't think Harris is planning to retire:

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 02:13 PM)pally Wrote: Dru was signed to a futures contract for the 2022 season.  This will make his approximately 347th time with the Bengals.

Seriously though, if this weekend turns out the way we hope I can see Kevin and Clark both retiring.

Oh my, my brain is slow to process information today. It took me forever to realize the humor of the 347th transaction involving Chrisman.

Let's hope Huber and any player in their last game as a member of the Bengals walks away a Super Bowl champion!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 02:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't think Harris is planning to retire:

Yeah, Clark I don't see retiring. I legitimately think he's going to try and be something like, "the longest-tenured LS ever," or, "the greatest LS ever," or SOMETHING like that and play as long as he wants.

He's got the character and the makeup of a complete winner and cool guy, so I think he's just going to ride it out until he doesn't want to anymore.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 02:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, Clark I don't see retiring. I legitimately think he's going to try and be something like, "the longest-tenured LS ever," or, "the greatest LS ever," or SOMETHING like that and play as long as he wants.

He's got the character and the makeup of a complete winner and cool guy, so I think he's just going to ride it out until he doesn't want to anymore.

I don't want to see Clark or Huber retire. Right now, when Shooter lines up for a field goal, I have faith in Clark and Huber. Too much history of watching botched snaps and botched catches and laces the wrong way.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 02:51 PM)Nepa Wrote: I don't want to see Clark or Huber retire. Right now, when Shooter lines up for a field goal, I have faith in Clark and Huber. Too much history of watching botched snaps and botched catches and laces the wrong way.

By all accounts a really good guy and was very solid for the Bengals for many years, but if Matt Araiza is there when the 96th pick of the draft rolls around for the Bengals, I think you gotta take him. The capability of ripping off 70-80 yard punts when you need them is just devastating, and 47% of his punts trapped the opposing team inside the 20, better than Huber's career best, 14% better than Huber's 33% this year.

Get the best kicker of a draft in 2021, get the best punter of a draft in 2022, and then just be set at K/P with top level play and not have to worry about it for the next 15-20 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: By all accounts a really good guy and was very solid for the Bengals for many years, but if Matt Araiza is there when the 96th pick of the draft rolls around for the Bengals, I think you gotta take him. The capability of ripping off 70-80 yard punts when you need them is just devastating, and 47% of his punts trapped the opposing team inside the 20, better than Huber's career best, 14% better than Huber's 33% this year.

Get the best kicker of a draft in 2021, get the best punter of a draft in 2022, and then just be set at K/P with top level play and not have to worry about it for the next 15-20 years.

If the Bengals take a punter in Rd 3 over offensive/defensive depth, we riot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals take a punter in Rd 3 over offensive/defensive depth, we riot.

How is taking a game changing punter who will actually participate in improving the team and helping to win in all 17 games worse than taking depth?

"If we take a starter rather than a backup, we riot!"

It doesn't make sense.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: By all accounts a really good guy and was very solid for the Bengals for many years, but if Matt Araiza is there when the 96th pick of the draft rolls around for the Bengals, I think you gotta take him. The capability of ripping off 70-80 yard punts when you need them is just devastating, and 47% of his punts trapped the opposing team inside the 20, better than Huber's career best, 14% better than Huber's 33% this year.

Good points.  Although I think Araiza is known as a punter who hits balls with a low hang-time, getting a lot of yardage, but more of line drives. Will it translate to the NFL or will it change how the NFL operates, or will he adjust to add hang-time? I don't know if its 100% slam dunk like Shooter was. Maybe it is and he will be a huge weapon. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals take a punter in Rd 3 over offensive/defensive depth, we riot.

Yeah I'd tend to agree.

We've done outstanding at upgrading several starting spots but we still need a few more, and our depth isn't great. Even picking that far back in the third, we could probably find a solid backup or maybe even a better center.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How is taking a game changing punter who will actually participate in improving the team and helping to win in all 17 games worse than taking depth?

It doesn't make sense.

Typically if you're taking an offensive or defensive guy in Rd 3, they're either gonna end up starting or be one of the first guys off the bench.
A 3rd round DL, DB, or OL could get quite a few snaps as part of a rotation or injury.

Why spend a Rd 3 pick on a punter when you can get a punter on (late) Day 3 or just roll with Chrisman, who is a fine punter?
Maybe I devalue punters, but I would never draft a punter that early.
Earliest I'd probably consider is Rd 5.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How is taking a game changing punter who will actually participate in improving the team and helping to win in all 17 games worse than taking depth?

It doesn't make sense.

People tend to underrate a punters impact. A really good punter can be a weapon. I wouldn't be opposed to selecting a punter if he is the real deal. 
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing we don't draft a punter based on Chrisman continuing to get deals. They surely are invested in him for the future if they keep coming back to him. I guess no other teams thought Chrisman was worth snagging throughout the season as an improvement over their existing punter?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: People tend to underrate a punters impact. A really good punter can be a weapon. I wouldn't be opposed to selecting a punter if he is the real deal. 

Ray Guy has entered the chat
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:57 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Ray Guy has entered the chat

....Shane Lechler has entered the chat

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 03:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Typically if you're taking an offensive or defensive guy in Rd 3, they're either gonna end up starting or be one of the first guys off the bench.
A 3rd round DL, DB, or OL could get quite a few snaps as part of a rotation or injury.

Why spend a Rd 3 pick on a punter when you can get a punter on (late) Day 3 or just roll with Chrisman, who is a fine punter?
Maybe I devalue punters, but I would never draft a punter that early.
Earliest I'd probably consider is Rd 5.

The last 10 Bengals 3rd round picks...

Joseph Ossai
Logan Wilson
Germaine Pratt
Sam Hubbard
Malik Jefferson
Jordan Willis
Nick Vigil
Tyler Kroft
Paul Dawson
Will Clarke

...you have a Sam Hubbard, Logan Wilson (maybe), and then a whole mountain of disappointment and sadness.

If Chrisman was such a "fine punter", he wouldn't have been cut 5 times in his rookie year without making a roster a single time. Why waste a draft pick McPherson if you can have Randy Bullock who is a fine kicker? Because if you can get a guy who is a significant upgrade for your team, it doesn't matter what his position is.

Reply/Quote

The #96 pick is pretty much a 4th rounder.
Reply/Quote

It doesn't make sense.

Fix the OL and we barely need a punter.  A decent one would suffice.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 04:20 PM)M.W. Wrote: Fix the OL and we barely need a punter.  A decent one would suffice.

Only 3 teams punted less than 51 times (3 per game) in 2021... 

Patriots: 49
Chargers: 47
Chiefs: 40

If it helps, rather than imagining improving your field position by an extra 3-5 yards on every punt... imagine the difference being somewhat like forcing opposing teams to take an extra 30-to-50 delay of game penalties throughout the year.

My mind is blown that Bengals fans can see the difference adding a great kicker had made to this team and says "lets just get a mediocre punter".

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 04:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only 3 teams punted less than 51 times (3 per game) in 2021... 

Patriots: 49
Chargers: 47
Chiefs: 40

If it helps, rather than imagining improving your field position by an extra 3-5 yards on every punt... imagine the difference being somewhat like forcing opposing teams to take an extra 30-to-50 delay of game penalties throughout the year.

My mind is blown that Bengals fans can see the difference adding a great kicker had made to this team and says "lets just get a mediocre punter".

Probably because the difference you're talking about doesn't seem that much.
The top punter in 2021 had an average of 50.0.
The 32nd punter in 2021 had an average of 42.9.

Every starting punter had a long punt of 60+ yards.

So when you think about it, is it that big of a deal if a team ends up taking over at the 25 vs 20?
I'm not sure how much that matters.
It obviously does if you're punting closer to your own EZ and trying to get the opposing team to start on their own side of the field compared to the 50, but the Bengals offense should not be struggling much that they should be punting close to their own end zone frequently.

On the flip side, a good kicker directly results in points.
And McPherson is able to hit far more 45+ yard FGs than Bullock.
So McPherson compared to Bullock is the difference of many points.

I guess the way I look at it is I expect a 3rd rounder to become a starter within ~3 years.
Would you rather have a future starter on offense/defense, or a punter who may average 5 more yards per punt?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote