Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Index - Week 1
Burrow not getting any respect. Can we still consider him a media darling?

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-week-1-ranking-all-32-starters-entering-2021-nfl-season

Bengals Twitter is all up in arms.

I find it fascinating national media has Burrow so far behind Herbert in general. I know Herbert had a great (healthy) year, but it's becoming not even close in the eyes of the pundits. You'd think Burrow was a bust.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 02:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow not getting any respect. Can we still consider him a media darling?

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-week-1-ranking-all-32-starters-entering-2021-nfl-season

I find it fascinating national media has Burrow so far behind Herbert in general. I know Herbert had a great (healthy) year, but it's becoming not even close in the eyes of the pundits. You'd think Burrow was a bust.

It's Gregg Rosenthall. He's a *******.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Those initial reports of shakiness aren’t going to go away until he performs well in a game. Lots of people taken that and ran with it because it fits their anti-cinci motives. Probabaly have a Cinci ruined Joe Burrow article written up and ready to go, just laying the groundwork now so that it’s easy to jump on later.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Those initial reports of shakiness aren’t going to go away until he performs well in a game. Lots of people taken that and ran with it because it fits their anti-cinci motives. Probabaly have a Cinci ruined Joe Burrow article written up and ready to go, just laying the groundwork now so that it’s easy to jump on later.

From the stupid shit he wrote, he obviously did zero homework on Burrow and his progress; how he feels, working with Palmer to strengthen his core/arm, etc. 

Zip, Zero, Zilch. 

This guy is a hack. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Meh, I'm sure Burrow ends the year higher than 26, but he was the 24th ranked QB last year before he got majorly injured. Such is life.

Pretend this is a depth chart and love the idea that a young guy has to prove himself before he moves up it.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 02:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow not getting any respect. Can we still consider him a media darling?

gotta do it on the field to get recognition  Burrow has 2 wins 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: gotta do it on the field to get recognition  Burrow has 2 wins 

Right.  It sucks to say it, but 1 year into Burrow's career and so far the Bengals have fulfilled the pessimistic take that they'd limit and/or break Burrow.  We've proven the haters wrong so far, so I wouldn't expect much credit until we prove otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: gotta do it on the field to get recognition  Burrow has 2 wins 

True (I believe he would have had more he just got injured right when we hit some winnable games). 

Herbert didn't win that many more, and Burrow did lead in yards etc up until his injury. The space between the two qb's has grown and I am surprised how quick it happened. I think it is just hate on the organization. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right.  It sucks to say it, but 1 year into Burrow's career and so far the Bengals have fulfilled the pessimistic take that they'd limit and/or break Burrow.  We've proven the haters wrong so far, so I wouldn't expect much credit until we prove otherwise.

I feel like you mean we've proved them right. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: I feel like you mean we've proved them right. 

Yeah, I did.  I'm a big ol' sexy idiot sometimes. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right.  It sucks to say it, but 1 year into Burrow's career and so far the Bengals have fulfilled the pessimistic take that they'd limit and/or break Burrow.  We've proven the haters wrong so far, so I wouldn't expect much credit until we prove otherwise.

'credit where it's due' aside, that drivel he wrote up is just that, lazy drivel. 

I worry about the offensive line (i'd wager he has no idea who the starters are). I worry about the arm strength Burrow showed as a rookie(obviously doesn't have a clue about the articles that were written/training camp reports). I worry about Zac Taylor. I worry about Burrow missing the offseason coming off a torn ACL(duh). I worry he'll take a step back in the areas of his game that are his calling cards -- accuracy and uncanny confidence -- coming off surgery(based on what?). Burrow could be very good in the long run without being that good this year, especially early(ahhh, the good ole CYA)

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: True (I believe he would have had more he just got injured right when we hit some winnable games). 

Herbert didn't win that many more, and Burrow did lead in yards etc up until his injury. The space between the two qb's has grown and I am surprised how quick it happened. I think it is just hate on the organization. 
there is only a 5 games played difference and Herberts numbers are better across the board.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 04:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is only a 5 games played difference and Herberts numbers are better across the board.

I thought Burrow led him in yards/completion percentage (and maybe even wins) week 10 still. Maybe I am wrong. I know Herbert had the better QBR. I haven't looked tho to see.

Reply/Quote

which is 2 more than any of the rookies ranked ahead of him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 'credit where it's due' aside, that drivel he wrote up is just that, lazy drivel. 

I worry about the offensive line (i'd wager he has no idea who the starters are). I worry about the arm strength Burrow showed as a rookie(obviously doesn't have a clue about the articles that were written/training camp reports). I worry about Zac Taylor. I worry about Burrow missing the offseason coming off a torn ACL(duh). I worry he'll take a step back in the areas of his game that are his calling cards -- accuracy and uncanny confidence -- coming off surgery(based on what?). Burrow could be very good in the long run without being that good this year, especially early(ahhh, the good ole CYA)

Pretty nuts this tool gets paid to not research anything...
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 'credit where it's due' aside, that drivel he wrote up is just that, lazy drivel. 

Ida know...I think he makes some logical points.  You can't expect people to say Burrow and the o-line are going to be fine simply because they looked good in training camp, can you?

(09-09-2021, 05:58 PM)pally Wrote: which is 2 more than any of the rookies ranked ahead of him

1 year ago a 0-0 Burrow was ranked 8 spots ahead of Mitch Trubisky who had a winning record and made the playoffs twice.
Reply/Quote
Tua being ahead of Burrow is certainly…well it’s a take.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 04:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought Burrow led him in yards/completion percentage (and maybe even wins) week 10 still. Maybe I am wrong. I know Herbert had the better QBR. I haven't looked tho to see.

This is off a quick glance, but Herbert was ahead of Burrow by about 20 YPG (289 to 268) last season. Burrow took a hit there because of the WFT game but Herbert also played 15 games, which boosts his ‘per game’ numbers.

Herbert had higher rating, yards per game, touchdowns per game, higher completion percentage and a bunch of other stats such as yards per attempt etc. He also scored five touchdowns rushing.

Herbert was really, really good last season.
Reply/Quote
I’m not going to get too worked up over this. Burrow had very promising play last season but he had very teachable moments. I’m a huge believer in Burrow, so I think after this season the rankings will be different.
Reply/Quote
*opens link*

*seems Gregg Rosenthal's name*

*closes link*
Reply/Quote