Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Index - Week 1
Meh, can't disagree. Until he plays a full game, we don't know what kind of shape he (or the line) is in.

But it's pretty laughable Ben was that high, or that Tua was one spot above Joe.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 09:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know...I think he makes some logical points

You can't expect people to say Burrow and the o-line are going to be fine simply because they looked good in training camp, can you?

*lazy points. What's logical about ignorance?

No one needs to say they'll be fine, that's a bit extreme and illogical. Do a little homework though and at least have a clue what you're writing about. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I'm sure Burrow ends the year higher than 26, but he was the 24th ranked QB last year before he got majorly injured. Such is life.

(09-09-2021, 03:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: gotta do it on the field to get recognition  Burrow has 2 wins 

On almost any other NFL team Joe Burrow would be an instant — and healthy — success. Most head coaches are better than Zac Taylor. Most offensive lines are better than the waddling flinch bait the Bengals trotted out in 2020. Most offensive coordinators wouldn’t have Joe chucking the ball 50+ times behind a leaky line.

We really need to face the truth in Cincinnati: Carson Palmer underachieved. In 2003 when he was drafted which of us did not think he would lead the Bengals to multiple Super Bowl titles? Carson was in the top three in the AFC along with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Andy Dalton overachieved. Despite his abysmal record in the playoffs he holds every single Cincinnati passing record except one. Dalton was never considered elite but his win-loss record as a Bengal is better than what Carson Palmer put up.

Joe Burrow, rightly or wrongly, was set up for failure last year. Considering the offense he was given and the playbook he had to use I don’t see how he could’ve done any better.
Reply/Quote
LOL. 

Jameis Winston
3 rookies that haven't played in the NFL yet
Daniel Jones
Carson Wentz
Tua

All ahead of Burrow. superlulz

Burrow should be right around 17ish.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 10:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: *lazy points. What's logical about ignorance?

No one needs to say they'll be fine, that's a bit extreme and illogical. Do a little homework though and at least have a clue what you're writing about. 

What is he ignorant of?  Our o-line is a concern.  Burrow himself has said he's got to shake off the injury mindset.  Burrow throwing the ball hard at practice is fine, but until he does it in a real game the general public isn't going to believe it.  I just don't see the hate here...I see this as Bengals fans putting a lot of stock into training camp because that's all we have at the moment.

Burrow having a single good pre-season game like Trevor Lawrence, or Pig Ben, or even Sam Darnold would have bumped him up a few slots on here.  We are kicking the can down the road to the regular season, so we can only speculate based on practice.  

I think people just take this national media stuff too seriously.  I just want Burrow to get on the field and get stuff done so we can stop waiting for the national media to give us a medal for looking good at practice.

(09-09-2021, 10:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: On almost any other NFL team Joe Burrow would be an instant — and healthy — success.  Most head coaches are better than Zac Taylor.  Most offensive lines are better than the waddling flinch bait the Bengals trotted out in 2020. Most offensive coordinators wouldn’t have Joe chucking the ball 50+ times behind a leaky line.  

Joe Burrow, rightly or wrongly, was set up for failure last year.   Considering the offense he was given and the playbook he had to use I don’t see how he could’ve done any better.

Yeah, I get all this and agree with it.  This is why going into 2020 when the national media said the Bengals may be setting Burrow up for failure I wasn't one of the people saying "Stupid national media hates us, they're just pissed Burrow isn't on the Steelers."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 10:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What is he ignorant of?  Our o-line is a concern.  Burrow himself has said he's got to shake off the injury mindset.  Burrow throwing the ball hard at practice is fine, but until he does it in a real game the general public isn't going to believe it.  I just don't see the hate here...I see this as Bengals fans putting a lot of stock into training camp because that's all we have at the moment.

Burrow having a single good pre-season game like Trevor Lawrence, or Pig Ben, or even Sam Darnold would have bumped him up a few slots on here.  We are kicking the can down the road to the regular season, so we can only speculate based on practice.  

I think people just take this national media stuff too seriously.  I just want Burrow to get on the field and get stuff done so we can stop waiting for the national media to give us a medal for looking good at practice.

So up till the injury, Burrow was getting glowing reports and was considered the frontrunner for RoY by pretty much everyone, on a bad team. 

They added a quality vet at RT to match the quality LT (notice there's no hyperbole here--just 2 solid, better than average tackles). They have two Gs that protected the QB well the 2nd half of the year last year, during the several games they were able to play while healthy. They have 2 young Gs as backups that are easily better than what they trotted out there the last couple years. They have a top 5 passblocking C. Yes, past injuries are a concern with 3 of the 5, but that part about seeing it during the season applies here too. Until they get injured, it's not a problem this year. 

He talked about his lack of arm strength. There's quanifiable proof as well as anecdotal evidence--from the players themselves--that his ball has more zip. 

He (Rosenthal) is "speculating" about all 32 QBs, so the speculation on Burrow isn't any different than on any other QB. 

The bottom line is, if you're going to step in the kitchen and start cooking (writing articles/giving your opinion) you damn well better be able to take the heat when you don't bother doing any homework or put any effort into providing context on bad, lazy takes. 

I'm not taking anything too seriously. I'm commenting on a bad take and providing examples of where he's wrong. I really don't care how the national media sees the Bengals. The Bengals haven't given anyone reason to be positive over the last 5 years and especially the last 2. The QBs i named in another post, that are above Burrow, are simply laughable based on pure talent, ability and past results alone. 

If i were going to create a thread on here about another team's QB, you better believe i'm going to do some research on him and not just spew 'hot takes' based on what i've seen in the past. I don't think that's too much to ask of a national writer. 

To put a nice bow on all this, journalism these days isn't really journalism anymore. It's just shitty hot takes for clicks and Rosenthal is a guy that likes to hog the bathroom. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 11:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: To put a nice bow on all this, journalism these days isn't really journalism anymore. It's just shitty hot takes for clicks and Rosenthal is a guy that likes to hog the bathroom. 

The rest of your post makes sense, but I still don't see how hot of a take "24th ranked QB who got a major injury is now ranked 27th" is some sort of ultra-hot shitty journalistic clickbait take.  I'd actually say putting Burrow up 7+ spots would be more of a sensationalist take.

At any rate, I think this ranking just shows how quickly the NFL and the public attention moves on.  Burrow was the hot 1st overall pick rookie QB a year ago and was ranked above a number of QBs who had done stuff in the NFL.  Now there are new fresh faces to get hyped about and veterans who are coming back, or trying to get one last push in, etc.  Burrow has been off the field for a long time.  At least Sunday he gets to be back on the damn field and we can get back to talking about reality and stop speculating and extrapolating. 
Reply/Quote
He didn't miss any off-season..WTF is this guy talking about?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 11:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The rest of your post makes sense, but I still don't see how hot of a take "24th ranked QB who got a major injury is now ranked 27th" is some sort of ultra-hot shitty journalistic clickbait take.  I'd actually say putting Burrow up 7+ spots would be more of a sensationalist take.

That part was just an overall take on the profession and how GR fits into it. 

But i'd disagree that moving him up a few spots would be sensationalistic. Putting him up around 10, sure. Not 17ish though. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 11:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That part was just an overall take on the profession and how GR fits into it. 

But i'd disagree that moving him up a few spots would be sensationalistic. Putting him up around 10, sure. Not 17ish though. 

Well, he was ranked 24th last year, he got a big injury, and the Bengals organization and coaching staff isn't known to improve a QBs odds of success.  If Burrow hits the ground running in week 1 and plays like an elite QB then this all just becomes an outdated snapshot.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 11:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, he was ranked 24th last year, he got a big injury, and the Bengals organization and coaching staff isn't known to improve a QBs odds of success.  If Burrow hits the ground running in week 1 and plays like an elite QB then this all just becomes an outdated snapshot.

That in itself, is sad because then it just gives guys like Rosenthal a free pass to fling shit on the wall and throw his hands up with a "not me". 

I'm not arguing anything you're saying about what the Bengals did to protect/not protect Burrow or how they handle business as a team. This is 100% on someone lazily going off that and not spending any time at all pointing out how the stich could be improved, "because". 

He could have easily left him at 27 and made any of the points i did, with a 'wait and see', instead of the CYA line he finished with. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 11:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That in itself, is sad because then it just gives guys like Rosenthal a free pass to fling shit on the wall and throw his hands up with a "not me". 

I'm not arguing anything you're saying about what the Bengals did to protect/not protect Burrow or how they handle business as a team. This is 100% on someone lazily going off that and not spending any time at all pointing out how the stich could be improved, "because". 

He could have easily left him at 27 and made any of the points i did, with a 'wait and see', instead of the CYA line he finished with. 

I'm not following what CYA is...maybe I'll kick myself when you explain it.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 11:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: At any rate, I think this ranking just shows how quickly the NFL and the public attention moves on.  

100% agree. 

Like the squeaky wheel getting the grease, the shiny new toy gets played with most. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 11:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not following what CYA is...maybe I'll kick myself when you explain it.

Cover Your Ass.

If you were a regular poster on these very boards, you'd see it a lot. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 11:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Cover Your Ass.

If you were a regular poster on these very boards, you'd see it a lot. Ninja

Ah, well I think that's a logical thing to say in this case more than covering his ass.  It makes logical sense to say even if Burrow wasn't elite last year and even if he starts this year slowly he should be really good.  
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 11:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ah, well I think that's a logical thing to say in this case more than covering his ass.  It makes logical sense to say even if Burrow wasn't elite last year and even if he starts this year slowly he should be really good.  

It's quite a leap of faith to say that he's being logical as opposed to CYA, with specifically what he wrote. 

But...i don't disagree with your posit. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 05:58 PM)pally Wrote: which is 2 more than any of the rookies ranked ahead of him

they also dont have 8 losses on their record.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 02:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow not getting any respect. Can we still consider him a media darling?

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-week-1-ranking-all-32-starters-entering-2021-nfl-season

Bengals Twitter is all up in arms.

I find it fascinating national media has Burrow so far behind Herbert in general. I know Herbert had a great (healthy) year, but it's becoming not even close in the eyes of the pundits. You'd think Burrow was a bust.

Pretty hilarious.  He was amazing at times DESPITE the line and dearth of talent, not to mention an awful defense, and he is ranked behind rookies like Lawrence, WIlson, and Mac Jones.  Further insulting is ranking him behind all-time turnover machine Winston, Turd storms like Fitzpatrick, and Baker Mayfield's 62% completion %?  With that line and running game?  Please.

It is just more of the same as far as impressions of the Bengals.  Palmer changed the perception around here, and so did Dalton (which everyone seems to have forgotten).  Burrow will take it to new heights.  

These rags (although they are largely not print) don't really bother me other than their consistent laziness and parroting of popular, uneducated opinions.  
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 08:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pretty hilarious.  He was amazing at times DESPITE the line and dearth of talent, not to mention an awful defense, and he is ranked behind rookies like Lawrence, WIlson, and Mac Jones.  Further insulting is ranking him behind all-time turnover machine Winston, Turd storms like Fitzpatrick, and Baker Mayfield's 62% completion %?  With that line and running game?  Please.

It is just more of the same as far as impressions of the Bengals.  Palmer changed the perception around here, and so did Dalton (which everyone seems to have forgotten).  Burrow will take it to new heights.  

These rags (although they are largely not print) don't really bother me other than their consistent laziness and parroting of popular, uneducated opinions.  

Yeah, but oh how I hope Burrow read that pos article. Light that competitive edge up even hotter.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 08:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, but oh how I hope Burrow read that pos article. Light that competitive edge up even hotter.

I don't know where he gets his fire, but I don't think he needs more of it.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote