Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about NFL players union vs. MB
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article202352354.html

The MLB players union has filed a grievance against 4 MLB teams. Rays, Pirates, A's, and Marlins for not spending all of their profit sharing money.

My question is, is there any chance the NFL players union can take action against Mike Brown and other teams for there funny money practice every off season ?

I know the thing came out a few years ago where NFL teams must spend up to a certain % every season. So how does MB continue to play $$$$$ games ? 10 million rollover, 10 million just because, 10 million injury pool - which is never used. And we magically never have any money to spend.

Just wondering ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 10:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article202352354.html

The MLB players union has filed a grievance against 4 MLB teams. Rays, Pirates, A's, and Marlins for not spending all of their profit sharing money.

My question is, is there any chance the NFL players union can take action against Mike Brown and other teams for there funny money practice every off season ?

I know the thing came out a few years ago where NFL teams must spend up to a certain % every season. So how does MB continue to play $$$$$ games ? 10 million rollover, 10 million just because, 10 million injury pool - which is never used. And we magically never have any money to spend.

Just wondering ?

Baseballs issue comes from being an uncapped sport. Because we have a cap and a required percentage to spend there is no vagueness to it. We are following the rules like all other teams currently do. By the way the NFLPA accounts for money we really aren’t even close to being in jeopardy of not hitting the four year floor.
Reply/Quote
Really thought the new rule would force MB to spend the same as other teams and was so excited.

But they left plenty of wiggle room it seems.

Know that can not do anything about it but sure wish they could.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
or force him to sell team

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, he DOES spend money, just not the way that you want him to.

I'll try to find the numbers, but I remember reading somewhere that the Bengals are generally in the upper half of spending each year.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 01:29 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Unfortunately, he DOES spend money, just not the way that you want him to.  

I'll try to find the numbers, but I remember reading somewhere that the Bengals are generally in the upper half of spending each year.

TY for getting facts. I hate when people trash others with wrong info. I believe in 2015 or 2014 the Bengals exceeded the CASH cap spend. It is my understanding Bengals are in top 15 for spending, maybe just don't spend wisely due to MB loyalty of never cutting under performers like most teams.

Now teams with 100 million left like Browns and Jags recently have to wonder how they fit into honoring their cash spend.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
In both '15 and '16 the Bengals spent OVER the league salary cap. They were able to do this because Mike Brown rolled over unused cap space instead of pocketing it like some other teams.

Some people like to mock Hobson and claim everything he says is false propaganda, but a lot of the information thrown around by members of this board is just as false and misleading.
Reply/Quote
Well as of late it is not that we are not willing to spend the money it is the decisions on WHO to spend the money on.

For example, we should of spent the money on Whit and Reggie Nelson and we would of been in a much better spot the last two years.

Once in awhile we need to go after a top tier FA to get us over the hump. Last year it would of been nice to get a top Center in FA as it
would be once again this year. I actually liked the Minter pickup last FA but evidently he wasn't the player i thought he was. Could of got
about a half dozen Linebackers that would of been better for us.

Hindsight is 20/20 but most of us saw the writing on the wall with letting Whit go.

This year we need a top tier OT or Center, we will see if hiring Pollack will influence this FO in a good way or not.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In both '15 and '16 the Bengals spent OVER the league salary cap.  They were able to do this because Mike Brown rolled over unused cap space instead of pocketing it like some other teams.

Some people like to mock Hobson and claim everything he says is false propaganda, but a lot of the information thrown around by members of this board is just as false and misleading.

Just another one of those things that gets said here, then parroted over and over until people believe it. Just like the "Marvin doesn't play rookies" line....
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown has actually spent his fair share of the money he's required to spend. In fact, he's spent more than he's technically required, but he just doesn't use it all every year.

What has essentially happened with the Bengals is they didn't spend near the cap one year and have essentially rolled over about $10-15 mill each year. The thought is that the money is being rolled over to eventually be used, but it does just seem to still be rolled over. However, it's not accumulating much at all so that essentially translates into Mike Brown spending right around the normal cap amount each year.

One problem though that the Bengals have with how they are spending their cap is that there is some overpaying involved with certain players because they (arguably) are no longer performing at the level that justifies the contract. And they typically don't restructure contracts after the fact nor do they often cut underperforming players to free up cap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 10:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article202352354.html

Just wondering ?

Bengals are usually right around the cap and above the floor every year.  Maybe check the numbers first?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In both '15 and '16 the Bengals spent OVER the league salary cap.  They were able to do this because Mike Brown rolled over unused cap space instead of pocketing it like some other teams.

just about everyone here has no clue how to budget a nfl team...
Reply/Quote
I never understood why people think the left over $ goes to Mike's bank account?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 01:29 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Unfortunately, he DOES spend money, just not the way that you want him to.  

This ^^

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 03:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: just about everyone here has no clue how to budget a nfl team...

Nor do they need to know how to  Yawn
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 06:14 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Nor do they need to know how to  Yawn

if they are gonna pretend to know how to then I would think they should take a little time to learn how it works
Reply/Quote
I'm going to take a gander and say there are more than a few people who buy into the idea that they always know more about running a team than people who have been doing it their entire lives. It kind of runs along the same lines as people believe that governments ought to balance the budget the exact same way people balance their check books despite the fact that ordinary citizens just don't have the ability to create money out of thin air the same way governments can and do. To hear some people (and politicians ) talk the average citizen should be able to take over their neighborhood and seize all the assets of the guy living next door through military force to balance their checkbook..
Of course that's a bit of a silly example, but there's plenty of dopes out there who seem to think that way  
I have the feeling that the NFL budgeting process is a whole lot more murkier than most of us want to believe. It's really not as simple as I have 10 dollars and want to buy 3 packs of gum, a gallon of milk and a pound of rutabagas. What other grocery items should I cut out of my shopping list to afford them? The easy answer of course is that rutabagas don't taste good enough so cut the rutabegas. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 02:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mike Brown has actually spent his fair share of the money he's required to spend. In fact, he's spent more than he's technically required, but he just doesn't use it all every year.

What has essentially happened with the Bengals is they didn't spend near the cap one year and have essentially rolled over about $10-15 mill each year. The thought is that the money is being rolled over to eventually be used, but it does just seem to still be rolled over. However, it's not accumulating much at all so that essentially translates into Mike Brown spending right around the normal cap amount each year.

One problem though that the Bengals have with how they are spending their cap is that there is some overpaying involved with certain players because they (arguably) are no longer performing at the level that justifies the contract. And they typically don't restructure contracts after the fact nor do they often cut underperforming players to free up cap.

You are probably right on this whole post especially the end. Yet it always seems other teams find ways. 

Bengals just keep a lot of dead weight.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 05:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well as of late it is not that we are not willing to spend the money it is the decisions on WHO to spend the money on.

For example, we should of spent the money on Whit and Reggie Nelson and we would of been in a much better spot the last two years.

Once in awhile we need to go after a top tier FA to get us over the hump. Last year it would of been nice to get a top Center in FA as it
would be once again this year. I actually liked the Minter pickup last FA but evidently he wasn't the player i thought he was. Could of got
about a half dozen Linebackers that would of been better for us.

Hindsight is 20/20 but most of us saw the writing on the wall with letting Whit go.

This year we need a top tier OT or Center, we will see if hiring Pollack will influence this FO in a good way or not.

This too

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 01:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: You are probably right on this whole post especially the end. Yet it always seem other teams find ways. 

Bengals just keep a lot of dead weight.

IIRC the Bengals believe the way they do contracts is a positive for drawing in talent. It seems they fear changing up the approach would lead to fewer players wanting to come play in Cincinnati.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote