Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about mccarron
I'm not trying to start another draft thread, but how will that work still? If he loses his case like others are claiming do we sign him and go back to Cleveland before the draft? I know they will almost certainly take a qb but they will also want someone with some kind of experience. Hell Rosen has come out and said he will go back to school if the browns consider taking him. When do we sign him and when do we trade him? I know a lot will depend on the new head coach and if Mikey wants to get butts back in the seats he has to give up some control especially when it comes to free agency. I do think we will sign one maybe two players in the offseason and I would bet they are both oline players. The next question is with Mandy. Does the new regime give him the benefit and say he sucks because of the line or is he possible trade bait for us to move up in the draft and take a qb that just needs guidance and a great line like mayfield or Jackson?it will be interesting to play out but something's gotta give here or the stands will start looking like the 90s again. Our fans our ruthless and will let the players sometimes unfairly have it. If Ross isn't going to contribute in some way we need to find a number 2 because lafell is not the answer. Boys is what he is. If eiffert isn't healthy I'd let him walk sure he will be dirt cheap but if kroft is our best tight end option we may need to look in the draft because cj isn't the answer either both are decent neither is good. I would say kroft is one step above Gresham. The next guy HAS to have mixon and Bernard in together atleast 5 series a game. Look at the saints there is no reason why we can't do that as well. I would love to hear your insight and how you see this playing out starting with the coach.
Reply/Quote
A coach with half a brain would not blow the team up.

They also would certainly give Dalton a chance under new guidance and an obvious need to improve a bottom dwelling O-line(reality folks).

Fixing that line and improving the RB production will be a true measure of what Dalton's future will be.

Also throw in pinpointing WRs abilities to secure a consistent depth chart.

No way the new coach would trade/cut him under the first year of taking the helm.

I'd think a more likely scenario would be trading/cutting Dalton if he under performs with personnel upgrades.

McCarron was a 5th round pick. Generally that means he was destined to be a backup QB in the first place.

Who knows what this franchise wants to do with him? It's not the norm.

As far as Eifert goes... if the guy is going to be "dirt cheap"... then why again is he signing with the Bengals?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We gotta trade McCaron for at least a 2nd rounder.
Reply/Quote
McCarron is and will probably always be a backup baring catastrophic injury to whoever is the starting QB.  Can anybody seriously say he would have fared any better than Andy behind our Oline all season? I could say it, but not without laughing the entire time. 
The notion that there are more teams other than Cleveland willing to cough up high round draft picks for him is plain silly and the only reason Cleveland was considering it was because of Hue. If anyone else was serious about McCarron it would have been plastered all over this forum every day. 
This doesn't mean he won't go elsewhere and make hay from a new team, but for now the only mention of him getting traded for a high pick has been with Cleveland and inside a few people's imaginations. Imaginary draft picks don't typically turn into super bowl titles except in imaginations..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 09:35 AM)grampahol Wrote: McCarron is and will probably always be a backup baring catastrophic injury to whoever is the starting QB.  Can anybody seriously say he would have fared any better than Andy behind our Oline all season? I could say it, but not without laughing the entire time. 
The notion that there are more teams other than Cleveland willing to cough up high round draft picks for him is plain silly and the only reason Cleveland was considering it was because of Hue. If anyone else was serious about McCarron it would have been plastered all over this forum every day. 
This doesn't mean he won't go elsewhere and make hay from a new team, but for now the only mention of him getting traded for a high pick has been with Cleveland and inside a few people's imaginations. Imaginary draft picks don't typically turn into super bowl titles except in imaginations..  

Sir......you'd be surprised.  There are plenty on here that believe it, and the comments sections of articles and the team's Facebook page have even more.  Some people just don't understand the impact of a terrible offensive line.  It not only totally disrupts the x's and o's, timing of plays, it also effects inner clocks of players and their psyche.....especially the QB.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 10:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: Sir......you'd be surprised.  There are plenty on here that believe it, and the comments sections of articles and the team's Facebook page have even more.  Some people just don't understand the impact of a terrible offensive line.  It not only totally disrupts the x's and o's, timing of plays, it also effects inner clocks of players and their psyche.....especially the QB.

Hell even Romo mentioned that he felt that Dalton was peeking at his OTs when the ball is snapped.

Then went on to explain how that damages the QBs psyche.

Now you gotta wonder what is going through his head when only one player out of the whole line is playing average?!?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
1- There's decent odds Marvin Lewis is back in 2018... so I would say the approach to AJM, Dalton, the line, receivers, rookies, etc., has decent offs of staying the same in 2018.
2- In the event there's a new coach, it's highly unlikely his approach is to cut everyone, and rebuild QB & OL (along with whatever spots need filled due to FA/injury) with seven picks. To me, it wouldn't make much sense to try and rebuild with as many positions of need as we have by shopping AJM for a 2 or 3, or AD for a 1 & 2 given that we'd have to turn around and try to draft a new starting QB. Unless the staff feels there's going to be the guy of the next decade somewhere after the first 10 picks, I don't think they'll trade either one of our current QBs.
3- We probably will take a QB regardless of coaching changes given that we're not going to have AJM under contract much longer.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 03:31 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Hell even Romo mentioned that he felt that Dalton was peeking at his OTs when the ball is snapped.

Then went on to explain how that damages the QBs psyche.

Now you gotta wonder what is going through his head when only one player out of the whole line is playing average?!?

Right.  I've seen it in where he had progressed all the way up until about week 6 of 2016 to where he has landed in 2017.  It's not in the stat lines, it's what I'm seeing in the lack of confidence in his blockers.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 09:02 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: The next question is with Mandy. Does the new regime give him the benefit and say he sucks because of the line or is he possible trade bait for us to move up in the draft and take a qb that just needs guidance and a great line like mayfield or Jackson?
Well, considering that Dalton doesn't suck, the only question is whether the new coach wants to go with his own QB or stick with a QB that you know you can win regular season games with.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 05:46 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: We gotta trade McCaron for at least a 2nd rounder.

well then McCarron isn't going anywhere
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 10:43 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Sir......you'd be surprised.  There are plenty on here that believe it, and the comments sections of articles and the team's Facebook page have even more.  Some people just don't understand the impact of a terrible offensive line.  It not only totally disrupts the x's and o's, timing of plays, it also effects inner clocks of players and their psyche.....especially the QB.

The line play — especially the offensive line — was Paul Brown’s secret to success with Cleveland in the 1950s and 1960s and with the Bengals in the 1970s and 1980s. He stressed drafting the smartest players, not just the strongest.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 04:17 PM)Benton Wrote: 1- There's decent odds Marvin Lewis is back in 2018... so I would say the approach to AJM, Dalton, the line, receivers, rookies, etc., has decent offs of staying the same in 2018.
2- In the event there's a new coach, it's highly unlikely his approach is to cut everyone, and rebuild QB & OL (along with whatever spots need filled due to FA/injury) with seven picks. To me, it wouldn't make much sense to try and rebuild with as many positions of need as we have by shopping AJM for a 2 or 3, or AD for a 1 & 2 given that we'd have to turn around and try to draft a new starting QB. Unless the staff feels there's going to be the guy of the next decade somewhere after the first 10 picks, I don't think they'll trade either one of our current QBs.
3- We probably will take a QB regardless of coaching changes given that we're not going to have AJM under contract much longer.

If Lewis IS back, I am not!
Reply/Quote
It's hard to have a serious football discussion with someone who refers to the starting QB of the team he follows and is part of the inspiration of his screen name "Mandy". Is this first grade?

At the end of the day, it's not going to matter who lines up center for this team unless the OLine is seriously addressed. Unless the Brown family finally severs ties with Alexander the Great, learn how to use/actually participate/properly use free agency, draft players of need instead of BPA, and suddenly values interior OLine play, none of it matters. I don't care if it's McCarron, Mayfield, Jackson, or the second coming of Christ himself, this team isn't going to be a serious threat or contender until most of those things are actually fixed.

It isn't rigged games, it isn't bad luck, it isn't some conspiracy, and it isn't some supernatural whatever-the-hell. It's Mike Brown that holds this team back. As long as he owns the team, is the GM, and has say in the decisions, we're doomed. We have 27 consecutive years of proof.
Reply/Quote