Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions Regarding our 3rd LB Spot
Couple questions, I'd like folks thoughts on.

Do we need an upgrade to LB3?
Are we content with LB3,4,5 being special teams positions?
If Pratt or Wilson go down are we comfortable with LB3 stepping in full time?
Would you consider drafting a LB early (Trotter)
Would you consider signing an upgrade FA? Or content with re-signing all 3 backups?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Our LB3 played less than 10% of the defensive snaps in 2023. Our LB4 played less than 3%.

As long as Lou is here, I don't know if there's any point in worrying about LB3 if he isn't going to ever use them. Certainly can't draft LB early when you have so many other needs and he's going to spend his time playing special teams.

I think you re-sign 2 of the 3 backup LBs for ST and just add a 7th rounder/priority UDFA guy to fill the final spot at rookie league minimum just to make sure you don't get older and more expensive on your ST guys.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
As TLL shows our 3rd Linebacker doesn't play often at all. I would bring back ADG though, I still think if needed he could fill in and
do well if one of Logan or Germaine go down. ADG I still find intriguing blitzing once in a while and he does play ST's pretty well.
Reply/Quote
Would the philosophy change if we had a legit 3rd linebacker that could push for playing time. Or at least allow Pratt to come off the field on passing downs? Or are we okay with Pratt playing all downs? I know that was his thing, but his play slipped this year when he was used more.

Will Lou change his philosophy with no Reader?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Our signed guys are Wilson, Pratt, and Harper. Heyward is a PS guy we signed to a Future's contract.

ADG, Bailey, and Bachie are FA's. I think they all could be back. ADG would be my preference but if he wants to try and start somewhere, he needs to move. Bailey & Bachie & Harper are deep bench/backup types.

I really do not see us using a high pick on a LB. In a vacuum it makes sense, and there could be good value there. But we are talking about depth at LB. We need starters at WR2, WR3, DT/NT, RT, & TE. And a punter upgrade. And better interior pass rush.

And that is buying Turner and Hill as starters in the secondary. DB depth (CB & S) and OL depth would both rank higher on my needs list than LB depth.

Top Tier needs:
1. WR2 (Higgins)
2. RT starter (Rd1 pick)
3. NT/DT Run stuffer (Reader)

2nd Tier:
4. Interior pass rush (FA or draft Rd 1-Rd4)
5. WR3 (draft or FA)
6. TE1 (FA or draft)

3rd Tier:
7. Secondary depth (CB & S)
8. OL depth (OT & IOL)
9. Punter upgrade

4th Tier:
10. LB depth
11. RB depth

No real need: QB, DE, PK, LS
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 07:38 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Our signed guys are Wilson, Pratt, and Harper. Heyward is a PS guy we signed to a Future's contract.

ADG, Bailey, and Bachie are FA's. I think they all could be back. ADG would be my preference  but if he wants to try and start somewhere, he needs to move. Bailey & Bachie & Harper are deep bench/backup types.

I really do not see us using a high pick on a LB. In a vacuum it makes sense, and there could be good value there. But we are talking about depth at LB. We need starters at WR2, WR3, DT/NT, RT, & TE. And a punter upgrade. And better interior pass rush.

And that is buying Turner and Hill as starters in the secondary. DB depth (CB & S) and OL depth would both rank higher on my needs list than LB depth.

Top Tier needs:
1. WR2 (Higgins)
2. RT starter (Rd1 pick)

2nd Tier:
5. WR3 (draft or FA)
6. TE1 (FA or draft)

3rd Tier:
8. OL depth (OT & IOL)
9. Punter upgrade

4th Tier:
10. LB depth
11. RB depth

I also would like to bring back Markus Bailey and even Bachie. Both Logan and Germaine really disappointed me last year especially Pratt.
Reply/Quote
I would let ADG test FA...
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 07:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: Would the philosophy change if we had a legit 3rd linebacker that could push for playing time. Or at least allow Pratt to come off the field on passing downs? Or are we okay with Pratt playing all downs? I know that was his thing, but his play slipped this year when he was used more.

If they decide to draft a LB sometime early on I like Edgerrin Cooper and he can cover TE's.  Later on I like Ty'Ron Hopper.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 07:38 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Our signed guys are Wilson, Pratt, and Harper. Heyward is a PS guy we signed to a Future's contract.

ADG, Bailey, and Bachie are FA's. I think they all could be back. ADG would be my preference  but if he wants to try and start somewhere, he needs to move. Bailey & Bachie & Harper are deep bench/backup types.

Top Tier needs:
1. WR2 (Higgins)
2. RT starter (Rd1 pick)

2nd Tier:
5. WR3 (draft or FA)
6. TE1 (FA or draft)

3rd Tier:
8. OL depth (OT & IOL)
9. Punter upgrade

4th Tier:
10. LB depth
11. RB depth

RB depth is gonna be much higher than you think. Good chance Mixon is gone which saves 6 million. Travyeon WIlliams is a FA as well...That leaves us with Chase and Evans...feel good abpout going into the season with those 2 as the main RB's? I didn't think so. Gotta draft a RB on day 2 at least.
Reply/Quote
LB is an underrated need particularly a passing down LB. Both Pratt and Wilson struggled last season. So adding a guy who can cover RBs and TEs wouldn't be the worst idea. Also Pratt was a 2 down player who struggled in a full time role last season(at least according to PFF). Ideally we would re-sign ADG but if not I would kick the tires on Isiah Simmons LB from the Giants.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
All three backups played well when asked to play over the last few years. I don't think that they're going to waste a draft pick and hope that he sticks. All three should be easy to re-sign without pushing the cap.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 11:05 PM)pulses Wrote: RB depth is gonna be much higher than you think. Good chance Mixon is gone which saves 6 million. Travyeon WIlliams is a FA as well...That leaves us with Chase and Evans...feel good abpout going into the season with those 2 as the main RB's? I didn't think so. Gotta draft a RB on day 2 at least.
Negative..Mixon is not going anywhere after restructuring last year...Brown is the future starter...draft another 4rh/5th rounder to develop...there is absolutely no reason to use that high of a pick on RB...also there will be multiple options in FA firvthe cheap if you want an experienced guy
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 10:48 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Negative..Mixon is not going anywhere after restructuring last year...Brown is the future starter...draft another 4rh/5th rounder to develop...there is absolutely no reason to use that high of a pick on RB...also there will be multiple options in FA firvthe cheap if you want an experienced guy

Mixon straight up took a paycut, I don't think that's any kind of certainty that he'll be back in 2024 at all.

I don't think "future starters" and "developing" RBs are really all that much of a thing. It largely seems to be a position where the majority of the greats are ready year 1 and if you're not ready to be the starter for year 2, the odds are you're probably never going to be one. Even if he beats the odds and does, there goes all your cheapest years and he's nearly a FA.

- - - -
(Obviously there's exceptions like Michael Turner being stuck behind a HoFer like LT, but Mixon ain't LT, lol.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Top Tier needs:
1. WR2 (Higgins)
2. RT starter (Rd1 pick)

2nd Tier:
5. WR3 (draft or FA)
6. TE1 (FA or draft)

3rd Tier:
8. OL depth (OT & IOL)
9. Punter upgrade

4th Tier:
10. LB depth
11. RB depth

Why, in your opinion, do you believe the Bengals need a #3 receiver? LOLOL After watching the Chiefs win the title with Kelce and just a bunch of guys it is funny to me to think that the Bengals fans believe we need four #1 receivers! Bengals need to upgrade their defensive and offensive lines, they have enough receivers already SMH

Chase
Tee
Yoshie
Jones
Irwin

Where is the need for a #3? WOW
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
I was a fan of Willie Gay coming out of college; nothing's changed.

Also wouldn't mind either of JB's ex-teammates Queen/White. Although Queen will be too expensive.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 07:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As TLL shows our 3rd Linebacker doesn't play often at all. I would bring back ADG though, I still think if needed he could fill in and
do well if one of Logan or Germaine go down. ADG I still find intriguing blitzing once in a while and he does play ST's pretty well.

When they signed Harper, I figured they were preparing to let ADG walk. Harper has similar attributes etc.   
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 07:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: Would the philosophy change if we had a legit 3rd linebacker that could push for playing time. Or at least allow Pratt to come off the field on passing downs? Or are we okay with Pratt playing all downs? I know that was his thing, but his play slipped this year when he was used more.

In order for that to happen, I think the LB would have to be a player like Isaiah Simmons who can be a versatile LB/DB kind of player.
And I do think having an actual 3rd LB could help against the run, which the AFC North is strong at.
With that said, Anarumo prefers to have 5 DBs a majority of the time, so I doubt the LB3 would be any more than a ST guy who could fill in if needed for an injury to Wilson/Pratt.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 11:24 PM)J24 Wrote: LB is an underrated need particularly a passing down LB. Both Pratt and Wilson struggled last season.  So adding a guy who can cover RBs and TEs wouldn't be the worst idea. Also Pratt was a 2 down player who struggled in a full time role last season(at least according to PFF). Ideally we would re-sign ADG but if not I would kick the tires on Isiah Simmons LB from the Giants.

Lou has already put the blame on the subpar LB play this year on communication issues due to the turnover in the secondary.  I don't think anyone in the building is blaming Pratt and Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 12:27 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: Why, in your opinion, do you believe the Bengals need a #3 receiver? LOLOL After watching the Chiefs win the title with Kelce and just a bunch of guys it is funny to me to think that the Bengals fans believe we need four #1 receivers! Bengals need to upgrade their defensive and offensive lines, they have enough receivers already SMH

Chase
Tee
Yoshie
Jones
Irwin

Where is the need for a #3? WOW

First off, my post clearly puts RT & DT/NT above WR3. And a pass rushing DT equal. Did you not see that? 

I don't think Jones nor Iosivas showed they are ready to start yet. Irwin is OK v zone but cannot shaky sticky man to man. We play 3 ir 4 WR often. I think a Boyd replacement is a fairly obvious need.

I mean, Boyd had more yards than Irwin, Yoshi, and Jones combined. 

Boyd: 67 for 667 
Irwin: 25 for 316 
Yoshi: 15 for 116 
Jones: 7 for 64 

Beyond Murphy & Newton, I am not in love with the DT classes pass rushers. And we need RT in Rd1. I could see DT in Rd2/Rd3/Rd4. But the WR class is deeper. And we also need TE and DB depth. 

I think Rd1 or paying big money for WR3 is not happening. But spending a Day2 pick is certainly in play. We need more non-Chase dynasism on offense. Guys like Legette, Polk, Worhy, Walker, Roman Wilson, Pearsall, Corley, or McMillan make sense to me in Rd2-4. 

Picking the RT/WR/TE in the draft allows you to use your cap to make a run at established guys at DT. If you think DT is more important, you should go FA at that spot to get a surer thing. 

What you prioritize does not fit how you are going about it. 

Again, we have 6 needs that I would be willing to spend significant capital on: $$ or Rd1-3 draft: WR2, DT/NT run defender, RT, DT pass rush, WR3, and TE.

Depending in how we attack FA and contract negotiations, I'd expect at least 3 big FA signings, but it could only be 2 with 2-3 smaller ones instead. So, 3-5 in FA + 3 high draft picks = 6-8.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 01:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: Lou has already put the blame on the subpar LB play this year on communication issues due to the turnover in the secondary.  I don't think anyone in the building is blaming Pratt and Wilson.

Agreed, I also remember hearing that.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote