No
37.93%
11 37.93%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quinton Spain
We've now seen him for 5 games. He initially impressed with his efforts at RG having not practiced with the team. He then impressed with his efforts at the unfamiliar position of RT. Since then the lines has taken several steps backwards (or in the case of Bobby Hart when faced with an onrushing defender, sideways) and some of that initial shine has worn off.

We know Jordan isn't but, is Spain the answer at LG for next year?
Should we bring back Dan France?
Reply/Quote
I think he should definitely be retained and given the opportunity, but hopefully we have a new coaching staff next year and it will depend on what scheme they run and who is brought in to coach the line.
Reply/Quote
I voted no because Thuney needs to be LG next year. Spain, maybe back up RG or Bengals should draft Trey Smith.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe. I really wish we kept Jon Miller and played him instead of MJ.

Miller wasn't great, but he was average in a lot of ways...which is better than bad.

Spain is mediocre. I'd rather upgrade, but if we can't...he'd be ok.
Reply/Quote
I would have liked for there to have been a third option.

I think he should be in the conversation for starting on this offensive line but only as a possibility. In an ideal world, we sign Joe Thuney, draft Penei Sewell and then, depending on the rest of the draft, Jonah Williams may be the LT, RT or the LG. IF we draft Sewell in the first and then another tackle in the 2nd, for example, then our line could be Sewell - Williams - Hopkins - Thuney - 2nd round rookie. At this point, Spain would be just a back up. But that all depends on the off season.

But for now I'll say yes with a very large asterisk next to it.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:20 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would have liked for there to have been a third option.

I think he should be in the conversation for starting on this offensive line but only as a possibility. In an ideal world, we sign Joe Thuney, draft Penei Sewell and then, depending on the rest of the draft, Jonah Williams may be the LT, RT or the LG. IF we draft Sewell in the first and then another tackle in the 2nd, for example, then our line could be Sewell - Williams - Hopkins - Thuney - 2nd round rookie. At this point, Spain would be just a back up. But that all depends on the off season.

We are so unlikely to sign Thuney. I just can't see us giving a Guard $15 million a year.

The funny thing is we let Zeitler go. There he is graded at 75.2 this year at age 30. The money we saved on him, what did we spend it on? All out of the principal that a Guard isn't worth that much.

In a lot of ways I get letting Whitworth go as guys that are 34/35 at Tackle fall off a cliff. But Zeitler was in his prime.
Reply/Quote
Heck, he should be LG this year.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:20 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would have liked for there to have been a third option.

I don't think he'd be happy returning as a back-up. He asked for his release when that happened to him at Buffalo.
Reply/Quote
Have we even seen him play at LG this year? Seems like we've sorta just moved him around. I definitely think he should be out LG moving forward. Just quit putting him everywhere else.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Everyone takes a step backwards when they line up next to Hart.

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:38 PM)ah5 Wrote: Everyone takes a step backwards when they line up next to Hart.

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk

Literally isn't the Bengals pass blocking scheme predicated on 'catching' the defender?
Reply/Quote
Spain should be the starting RG or LG next year depending on if we sign Thuney (doubtful) and where he would play.
Reply/Quote
I can't answer this yet.

1.) I need to see him play more. Does he look more like the guy that earned the new contract with Buffalo and had started a bunch of games, or does he look like the guy that was released from that same contract in the first year?

2.) What's his price going to be? (3-5 per??? How many years???)

It would be very wise for the Bengals to play Spain, XSF, and Finney all as much as possible from here on out. You might as well see what you have there. Because, as it stands right now, we really don't have a clue. These guys haven't played enough to get a read.
Reply/Quote
I think him as the 4th or 5th best linemen is fine. Much like Hopkins. If we have them as our best, we are in trouble.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 10:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Spain should be the starting RG or LG next year depending on if we sign Thuney (doubtful) and where he would play.

What about XSF?  He's already under contract.  Do we know that Spain is better than him yet?

Zac Taylor really needs to play these two from here on out if healthy.  Wouldn't hurt to get Finney some serious reps as well, as he's also under contract.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Literally isn't the Bengals pass blocking scheme predicated on 'catching' the defender?

That, I do not agree with them doing.  At least by coming up to meet the defender, the defender has to spend at least a second or so to beat the man, rather than having him breeze right through an opening created by immediately jump stepping backward at some random direction.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 11:36 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think him as the 4th or 5th best linemen is fine. Much like Hopkins. If we have them as our best, we are in trouble.

This.

I’m fine with him or XSF at one of the OG spots (never going to have 5 studs out there), as long as we bring in a top FA on the other side.

Reply/Quote
Spain should play the remainder of the year at the spot he's most comfortable with - LG. That way we can determine if he deserves a starting spot, but I'd extend him regardless for depth at minimum.
I think Spain and XSF can compete for one starting OG spot and a new FA acquisition can take the other spot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 11:37 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What about XSF?  He's already under contract.  Do we know that Spain is better than him yet?

Zac Taylor really needs to play these two from here on out if healthy.  Wouldn't hurt to get Finney some serious reps as well, as he's also under contract.

Let me rephrase. I think it is very important to resign Spain, as he can play at a quality level just about anywhere but Center. I really like the XFS pick, but I haven't seen him play much, if he gets healthy and takes the starting spot so be it. Dallas fans thought their line was better with XFS playing than with the starter.  I agree I want to see all 3 of them on the field for the rest of the year as much as possible.
Reply/Quote
Spain is fine as a depth piece. Or spot starter. It is hard to judge any player with Taylor, Turner, and Lou coaching them.

We need a stud OG at one side. If XSF looks good he has the other spot. Hart/Spain/Adeniji can fight for backup duties. Or a draft pick.
Reply/Quote