Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quinton Spain Believes He's the NFL's Most Underrated Player!
(07-08-2021, 09:21 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: So Decastro is still a free agent…

Because he's one step from crippled, and contemplating retirement..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Remember Spain basically came in off the street (granted he wasn't there a long time) and got shuffled all over the place. Also when he finally got to play in the same spot consistently (which was when XSF returned and he and XSF were at G) he played well.

The Guard room this season already looks a lot better than last seasons. Spain and Carman is far better than Jordan and Redmond (the Guard combo with which a lot of the really BAD play on OL occurred). Also XSF is first off the bench which again is an improvement.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 07:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Even if the Bengals took Penei Sewell Quinton Spain would still have been a starting guard....

Would he though? What if they took Sewell and Carman? Went WR in 3 and signed an edge rusher in FA?

Then you have Jonah, Carman/XSF/Spain, Hopkins/Price, Reiff, Sewell

Can't really say he would be starting because the draft may have gone completely different for them.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 06:42 PM)bengals67 Wrote: We will all be complaining about the o line 3 or 4 games int season.

When you have JB and cap space its hard to understand declining to put a lot more chips down on the o line.

Maybe they are trying to get Bates and Hubbard extended first as per reports. Maybe they will look at who is still available once they contracts are sorted and they know how much cap they have left
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 09:21 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: So Decastro is still a free agent…

He's also not going to play this season due to surgery, and will most likely retire.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 11:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: Remember Spain basically came in off the street (granted he wasn't there a long time) and got shuffled all over the place. Also when he finally got to play in the same spot consistently (which was when XSF returned and he and XSF were at G) he played well.

The Guard room this season already looks a lot better than last seasons. Spain and Carman is far better than Jordan and Redmond (the Guard combo with which a lot of the really BAD play on OL occurred). Also XSF is first off the bench which again is an improvement.

I don't remember Spain giving us much to complain about. Like you said, he came in off the street and played the day after he got here. played multiple positions, and I thought under the circumstances he did so admirably.  He said a could of months ago that with a full offseason with the playbook and being healthy, he was going to "show who he was", so this is not the first comment he's made about coming in and proving it this year. He knows in order to start, he has to beat out XFS. It's hard to complain about any player coming in with this attitude. Just back it up.
Reply/Quote
If he flops he can always apply for asylum in Spain.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 07:38 PM)Go Cards Wrote: I do believe that Reiff is a good addition, Jonah will come into his own and prove he is not made of glass.

Plus really like the Carman pick for where we drafted him yet Carman is a rookie and switching positions so there will be a few growing pains even if he is good. 

Would have loved to have gotten Sewell and Carman though. But once Burrow lobbied for Chase I canceled Christmas on that wish.
Yet do like Chase and wanting Sewell is no knock on him. Remember saying about Burrow before drafting that my only concern was that Chase may have been making him look better than he actually was. Glad Joe proved otherwise.

But just don't have faith in the other two o-lineman who will start until I witness it first hand.

Reiff allowed less sacks and committed fewer penalties than both Thuney and Orlando Brown last season. He is a major upgrade
over Hart. Jonah played well last year considering it was the first time playing in the NFL, hope the injury bug is over as you say.

Carman is an upgrade already over Redmond and was made to play Guard at the next level. He won't have to face speed rushers
and can just maul defenders in the run game. If Hopkins comes back healthy he is a good pass protector. I think between Spain 
and XSF the LG position will have a good competition. This isn't even mentioning the upgrade at OL coach.

I think we could be more than decent this year on the OL if we stay healthy. The question is depth after our starters IMO.

I did want Sewell and would of loved a Sewell/Carman start to the Draft but no one can deny Chase's talent.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 05:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Reiff allowed less sacks and committed fewer penalties than both Thuney and Orlando Brown last season. He is a major upgrade
over Hart. Jonah played well last year considering it was the first time playing in the NFL, hope the injury bug is over as you say.

Carman is an upgrade already over Redmond and was made to play Guard at the next level. He won't have to face speed rushers
and can just maul defenders in the run game. If Hopkins comes back healthy he is a good pass protector. I think between Spain 
and XSF the LG position will have a good competition. This isn't even mentioning the upgrade at OL coach.

I think we could be more than decent this year on the OL if we stay healthy. The question is depth after our starters IMO.

I did want Sewell and would of loved a Sewell/Carman start to the Draft but no one can deny Chase's talent.

Nate's posts always give me hope and get me excited!

Like he said, as seems to be the case every year, the main concern is health and depth.

I'm just hoping that Frank can coach them up enough to be average because that's more than Mixon needs and Burrow's chemistry with Chase, as well as Higgins and Boyd, will require him to not have to hold onto the ball for too long.  I'm also hoping that Uzomah, Moss, and Sample can be get open quickly and be safety valves in the middle of the field and up the hashes if Burrow does get into trouble.
Reply/Quote
Drug test incoming.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 07:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Even if the Bengals took Penei Sewell Quinton Spain would still have been a starting guard....

Disagree, if Sewell and Carman were picked like I suggested think Spain would be out.

Really did not tab Carman as someone before draft but knew I wanted Sewell and the best available OL in 2nd which ended up being Carman. 

Anyway do not see any way Spain would be starting unless one of the rookies just were not ready to go immediately. 

We already know carman is moving to OG and Reiff played Guard in college. So in this scenario believe it would be Carman and Reiff at Guards and Jonah and Sewell manning the Tackles.

Maybe that's foolish on my part though ? 

Now I do not hate Spain and hope he steps up his game and becomes a force to reckon with. Not completely sold as of yet and the homer in me wants to believe because the Bengals did not go this route and our success will hinge on that interior line and imo. 

If Burrow is sacked at same rate as last year it would be 54 sacks ! That would make for a very long year that hopefully Joe lives through. 

Yet I have faith it will be better, but track record says it needed lots of help. 

Still like Chase though and think he will be great so it was a pick your poison selection for Bengals. 

But once again would have much more faith if OL were Sewell, Reiff, Hopkins, Carman, Jonah

Yet do love this the WR corps, so get the allure. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Maybe? Not over Sewell though. Had we taken Sewell, he would've started somewhere on the line.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 02:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Obviously but he it's the offseason and confidence helps players improve and it helps the team.

That explains why the 2019 Browns and 2011 Eagles were so awesome. 
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 09:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That explains why the 2019 Browns and 2011 Eagles were so awesome. 

Did I say it helps the team improve or did I say individual players?
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 10:02 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Did I say it helps the team improve or did I say individual players?

You said:

Obviously but he it's the offseason and confidence helps players improve and it helps the team.

Which led me to reply about a pair of memorable situations where off-season confidence didn't translate to wins.  At any rate, it's impossible keeping up with the optimistic takes at times.  One day we are over the moon about how much confidence and swagger the team has and then we're excited at how quiet and confident and humble and under the radar they are.
Reply/Quote
Actions speak louder than words, but I do think Spain did a very good job last year compared to the rest of our guards. Don’t know about most underrated but I do think he doesn’t get enough respect. He has all the chance in the world this year to go out there and prove it on the field.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 10:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You said:

Obviously but he it's the offseason and confidence helps players improve and it helps the team.

Which led me to reply about a pair of memorable situations where off-season confidence didn't translate to wins.  At any rate, it's impossible keeping up with the optimistic takes at times.  One day we are over the moon about how much confidence and swagger the team has and then we're excited at how quiet and confident and humble and under the radar they are.

A good example would be our own head coach. Very confident and talks it up, but it hasn’t done a damn thing on the field. I do think he’s had some pretty cruddy luck so far though. Got into the game too late year one and really awful luck with injuries for the past 2 seasons. I think we absolutely would have been better with a more seasoned coaching staff, but I think we all expected a young first time head coach to have some serious growing pains. This is also his year to prove himself. No more excuses (even if they are legit we don’t have time to waste on it anymore)
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 07:05 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: A good example would be our own head coach. Very confident and talks it up, but it hasn’t done a damn thing on the field. I do think he’s had some pretty cruddy luck so far though. Got into the game too late year one and really awful luck with injuries for the past 2 seasons. I think we absolutely would have been better with a more seasoned coaching staff, but I think we all expected a young first time head coach to have some serious growing pains. This is also his year to prove himself. No more excuses (even if they are legit we don’t have time to waste on it anymore)

You really believe 2 weeks in Jan is what separates Zac Taylor and young first time head coach Mike Vrabel? Or 3 weeks separates Zac Taylor and young first time head coach Sean McDermott in their respective rookie coaching seasons? Dude took a 6-10 team that had the 17th scoring offense... and went 2-14 and called the 30th ranked scoring offense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2021, 07:30 PM)Destro Wrote: Drug test incoming.

For Spain?

H is not claiming he is the best.  He is just claiming he is underrated.  He was a starter by the second half of his rookies season and then a regular starter for 4 straight years.  Seems like a pretty good resume for a guy who had to settle for league minimum contract.  I can see why he feels disrespected.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 10:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You really believe 2 weeks in Jan is what separates Zac Taylor and young first time head coach Mike Vrabel? Or 3 weeks separates Zac Taylor and young first time head coach Sean McDermott in their respective rookie coaching seasons? Dude took a 6-10 team that had the 17th scoring offense... and went 2-14 and called the 30th ranked scoring offense.

Okay but I didn’t say his late start was the only excuse for him so go ahead and calm on down.
Reply/Quote