Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RG Jonathan Cooper
(09-01-2018, 06:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: So you know better than two O line coaches who feel he isn’t good enough to start?

Never said that.

This is my opinion and i think you would know better than to ask such a stupid question.

(09-01-2018, 07:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I thought he was not that great with colts on a few played, I was at game , he a a clear whiff on a pass block lost his feet on a couple plays against 2nds and 3rds., I never said he played terrible thi preseason but Hopkins played a clean preseason no sacks or penalties I believe against mostly ones was not terrible . As the season unfolds we will see, I believe coaches will make changes if needed.

Cool Essex, i know you know a lot about Line play so i will digress on Westerman's play.

Hopkins is a good backup IMO.

I want a clear starter at RG along with RT and i don't know if they are here yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 02:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Never said that.

This is my opinion and i think you would know better than to ask such a stupid question.

Cool Essex, i know you know a lot about Line play so i will digress on Westerman's play.

Hopkins is a good backup IMO.

I want a clear starter at RG along with RT and i don't know if they are here yet.

You might be right on Hopkins more of a backup , I do like he can move around on the line.. my gut says he is better than Redmond and Westerman with calls and he does seem to play a clean game.. the other two might be stronger overall position players but at this time i am guessing Hopkins just has the intangibles over them which is also important to coaches.  I will agree Westerman is the most physical of the guards but I have a feeling he struggles with line calls, switches etc and that is why he is not giving much chance at RG some players are just not as strong with the playbook and movement along the line, those players are best at staying in one spot so they don;t have too much on their plate.. I do believe though no one on the right side whoever it is come Indy is safe for Baltimore starting if they don't perform well for Pollack 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 04:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: lets cut both backup guards in Redmond and Westerman both very one dimensional anyway and pick up two new ones from other teams.. 

Even better.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 04:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: lets cut both backup guards in Redmond and Westerman both very one dimensional anyway and pick up two new ones from other teams.. 

With both of them being in their 3rd year, this should have been the "make or break" camp and preseason for both of them.  Unless the team is simply interested in keeping them around as career backups, it doesn't appear that either of them are developing into starter quality material.  Because, let's be honest here, beating out Trey Hopkins isn't exactly a bar of high achievement, in terms of NFL standards.  If you can't unseat that guy, you're not likely going to start on many, or any NFL OL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Other teams are not releasing players better than what we have.

People here claimed Bodine should not even be a back up in the NFL, and last i checked he was in line to start for the Bills.

Bengal fans hate Bengal players worse than other people around the league.
Reply/Quote
Worth kicking the tires but as people pointed out Pollack already knows everything about how he fits his system.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 11:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Not sure who you're looking at, but Cooper has only played 5 years.
2. He started 13 games for the Cowboys last year.
3. Andre Smith had more injuries than Cooper, and most on here loved that guy. We also have Cordy Glenn, who has had his fair share of injuries lately.
4. Cooper is more familiar with the o-line coach than any guy on our roster.

...and in the end, that's really all that matters. I'd plug him in at RG over Trey Hopkins without blinking.

That said, signing him doesn't even mean we have to start him.

He could be insurance in case there are problems, and his familiarity with Pollack would automatically give him a leg up.

Yep, think he is worth a cheap signing if healthy.   

If not healthy ? Sadly he still may be better than our back ups. Yet would pass if not healthy.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Considering our lack of talent at the guard position i don't see why we don't at least entertain the proposition of adding him.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 11:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not even close.  In Dres first five years he played in 59 games including 50 starts.

In Coopers first five seasons he has played in 42 games with about half as many starts as Dre (27) .

I think that I'd still feel more comfortable with Cooper, even as a backup, with his 27 starts in 42 games worth of experience.  That is more than double the game experience of Hopkins 12 starts in 14 appearances, Redmond 0 starts in 5 appearances, and Westerman with 2 starts in 2 appearances.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
FYI the Bills named Ryan Groy the starting Center. And I checked on Bills boards and the prevailing opinion was Bodine should not have ever been signed in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 02:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: FYI the Bills named Ryan Groy the starting Center. And I checked on Bills boards and the prevailing opinion was Bodine should not have ever been signed in the first place.

Anyone attempting to convey the idea that Bodine was a good player that we lost to another team is a complete and utter moron. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 02:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: FYI the Bills named Ryan Groy the starting Center. And I checked on Bills boards and the prevailing opinion was Bodine should not have ever been signed in the first place.

And to think, we were stuck with that guy for 4 entire years. This team makes a lot of smart moves, but then is also capable of being stubborn on horrible players.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 02:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: And to think, we were stuck with that guy for 4 entire years.

He was not a starting caliber C. It's pretty simple. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Other teams are not releasing players better than what we have.

People here claimed Bodine should not even be a back up in the NFL, and last i checked he was in line to start for the Bills.

Every fan base is like that. You hurt my team and you can go kick rocks.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 02:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: And to think, we were stuck with that guy for 4 entire years. This team makes a lot of smart moves, but then is also capable of being stubborn on horrible players.

Throw in Marvin's tenure, there are a few reasons why they havent won a playoff game in almost 28 years, Bodine being an example of one.  
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 02:58 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: He was not a starting caliber C. It's pretty simple. 

Same thing happened with Kyle Cook. 

We started him forever, then he's out of the league when we're done with him. Cook was only 30.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 03:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Same thing happened with Kyle Cook. 

We started him forever, then he's out of the league when we're done with him. Cook was only 30.

This. Just because P.A. determined a guy was a starter does not mean they should  be.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Other teams are not releasing players better than what we have.

He got beat out by an Undrafted free agent. On one of worst of the offensive lines in football. I’d say people were spot on in evaluating Bodine
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 03:14 PM)N_B Wrote: He got beat out by an Undrafted free agent.  On one of worst of the offensive lines in football.  I’d say people were spot on in evaluating Bodine

Yeah, it doesn't take an NFL senior scouting coordinator to realize that your Center isn't supposed to go backwards every play, and or end up on his butt, or in the QBs lap.

But, he did all the bench presses at the combine.  We should have been fine, right??   Cool 

Wait, there's a moral of story, or an adage, or something like that here.  Oh, I know..  

"Don't let your bench press write a check that your ass can't cash"   Mellow   How 'bout that one?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 03:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Throw in Marvin's tenure, there are a few reasons why they havent won a playoff game in almost 28 years, Bodine being an example of one.  

It all goes back to Mike Brown as usual. We've always had an issue with keeping some guys too long.

Marvin Lewis
Bob Bratkowski
Paul Alexander
Kyle Cook
Russell Bodine
Cedric Ogbuehi

We've had some great teams. Very talented rosters, but some of these guys have been anchors that have really held us back from even greater success.
Reply/Quote