Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RG3 in AFCN
He will be out for the season with injury before the halfway point of the season. He is too thin to be an ACN quarterback. We nearly broke him in half when we played the skins his rookie season.
Reply/Quote
I think it's smart move by Hue. Sign RG3 and draft Wentz as the QB of the future. Let Griffin get killed for two years behind a bad o-line and no weapons as you build the team through the draft. Wentz gets the right amount of experience without damaging his confidence and he finally takes over in his third year with an improved oline and WR.

just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
If Hue is smart he will rotate RGIII and Terrelle Pryor similar to the way other teams rotate RBs. Hell take Braxton Miller in the 2nd and playing them could be a nightmare.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If I were a Browns fan, I'd like the move. Griffin had enough talent to get some team to offer up a slew of draft picks just a few years ago. He was sensational as a rookie and he really wasn't all that bad in his other 2 seasons either.

People keep saying he's glass, but outside of his rookie season, when has he missed time due to injury? They intentionally sat him for the last 3 games of 2013 to "keep him healthy" (to get a look at Cousins). They benched him in 2014 after 7 games. They kept him benched last year.

So where is all this time missed due to injury? He's actually had 1 injury that caused him to miss time and then Shanny rushed him back for that playoff game before he was truly ready to go - which led to further injury of the same knee. His speed hasn't been the same since. Or at least it seems that way.

In short, if Hue can get RGIII to improve in the pocket (which seems possible, given his work with Dalton), then I think this could be a very good signing for the Browns. At the very least, RGIII is a decent QB as is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Something told me we'd see this guy in a Browns uni eventually.
Reply/Quote
I think RGKnee can play just as well as any other Cleveland QB since 1999. I know that's not saying much, but it is what it is. How many starting OLine players did Cleveland let walk this FA? 2? 3? A mobile QB is probably what they need since the protection may not be there.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 06:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If Hue is smart he will rotate RGIII and Terrelle Pryor similar to the way other teams rotate RBs. Hell take Braxton Miller in the 2nd and playing them could be a nightmare.

Play deep and contain the QB, doesn't seem like that hard considering RGIII is the best passer of them all and he's going to be rotated. And Pryor just isn't good.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 02:41 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Wow so they're just skipping the step where they draft a QB that can't play in the NFL and just go sign one instead. If that keeps them from wasting their first round pick on another QB bust then it'll be a really good pickup.

LMAO

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 04:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My guess is that Griffin was brought in by the Browns, to be the transitional guy, while Wentz gets up to speed.

Scratch that, I just saw the details of the deal.  2 years, $15M, possibly as high as $22M.  They are indeed expecting him to produce.  Otherwise that is a lot of money for a transitional/insurance guy.

Possibly, but with the cap going up maybe that's closer to the standard of a fringe/bridge type than we think.  It isn't a great deal, but it isn't bad either and he is still able to run for his life. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Signed by Browns.

Wonder how close Hue and Gruden were?

I am probably one of the only people here that roots for the Browns when they aren't playing the Bengals.  

I have been scratching my head over this move, largely due to the guarantees of the contract.  Does this mean they won't be drafting a QB?  Wentz has a NFL-body, with strength and mobility to hold up in a division like the AFCN.  RGIII is built like a track athlete and has had difficulty staying healthy in one of the weakest divisions in terms of defenses.

I would normally applaud Cleveland for thinking outside the box and not just "getting a QB", when they have so many other needs, but RGIII doesn't seem like the answer to me.  

Maybe the Browns will get a nice package of picks to slide in Rd 1 and still get a guy like Paxton Lynch.  I don't know, but I remember thinking drafting Manziel would set them back for years.  It has.  
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 05:14 PM)MentalRage Wrote: I think it's smart move by Hue. Sign RG3 and draft Wentz as the QB of the future. Let Griffin get killed for two years behind a bad o-line and no weapons as you build the team through the draft. Wentz gets the right amount of experience without damaging his confidence and he finally takes over in his third year with an improved oline and WR.

just my opinion.

I get what you are saying, but if you are drafted #2 overall, you are going to be expected to play your first year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 07:42 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Play deep and contain the QB, doesn't seem like that hard considering RGIII is the best passer of them all and he's going to be rotated. And Pryor just isn't good.

But, he is really fast.  The idea of having 3 fast QBs rotating in and out, staying fresh, could really tire out a defense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If I'm a Browns fan. I'd approve of this. Dynamic player despite the glass body.

As an AFC rival, it's just sort of "whatever" to me. Not really moved.
Reply/Quote
He's an upgrade over what they have had recently. Is he the future face of the franchise. No.
Reply/Quote
if the browns give hue time to build its a good signing. RGIII isnt gonna turn around that franchise. But he gives them something "Exciting" for the fans for the next few years while they rebuild around him. Use RGIII build up around him and then your new QB will have something to work with.

And who knows RGIII could pan out... But the AFCN is where the big boys play. Hes gonna have to learn to pass from the pocket to survive here.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 10:26 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: if the browns give hue time to build its a good signing.  RGIII isnt gonna turn around that franchise.  But he gives them something "Exciting" for the fans for the next few years while they rebuild around him.   Use RGIII build up around him and then your new QB will have something to work with.

And who knows RGIII could pan out...  But the AFCN is where the big boys play.    Hes gonna have to learn to pass from the pocket to survive here.

Or, just to survive in the NFL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 06:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In short, if Hue can get RGIII to improve in the pocket (which seems possible, given his work with Dalton), then I think this could be a very good signing for the Browns. At the very least, RGIII is a decent QB as is.

Wasn't that where Gruden was criticized? For trying to make him more of a pocket passer?

Personally, I think it's good for Hue. He likes gimmicks and RGIII has a potential to be a very gimmicky QB. And I don't mean just gadget plays (although I'm sure that will be part of it). But if Hue wants to run non-traditional sets or try something out of the norm, RGIII has a good skillset for that.

But I don't think it's long-term. This may free the Browns up to not draft a QB first this year (and it's probably best if they don't as they'd get into everyone asking 'how long until the bench RGIII'). But I'd expect Hue to take one in the first few rounds to groom as the heir apparent. It's a good move by Hue, though, as it frees him up to build up the team for a season or two, and still be entertaining. If management gives him three or four seasons — and if Hue drafts well — we might all have to stop laughing at the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 09:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, he is really fast.  The idea of having 3 fast QBs rotating in and out, staying fresh, could really tire out a defense.

Wouldn't that really limit the playbook?

Throwing QBs tend to get into a rhythm. Unless a defender forces a turnover, it makes the offense really hard to stop when a QB is hitting 3-out-of-4 throws and eating up yards. And that opens it up for the occasional big run or a dump off that breaks big. But with rotating QBs in and out, none of them are going to get into that rhythm, so you'd have to limit it to plays that have potential for fewer yards, but are more likely to get some kind of yardage.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 11:10 AM)Benton Wrote: Wouldn't that really limit the playbook?

Throwing QBs tend to get into a rhythm. Unless a defender forces a turnover, it makes the offense really hard to stop when a QB is hitting 3-out-of-4 throws and eating up yards. And that opens it up for the occasional big run or a dump off that breaks big. But with rotating QBs in and out, none of them are going to get into that rhythm, so you'd have to limit it to plays that have potential for fewer yards, but are more likely to get some kind of yardage.

Remember, this is Cleveland that we're talking about.  They seem to do many highly illogical things.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 12:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember, this is Cleveland that we're talking about.  They seem to do many highly illogical things.

LOL

Fair point.
Reply/Quote