Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
RIP Ken Riley
(06-07-2020, 10:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually Dillion has the numbers and what a performance in the year the Patriots won the Super Bowl...  AJ has a solid run first 6 years but last 3 nope.. don;t think he has a chance now.. Geno will be overshadowed by Donald and noseguards are rare in the HOF...  Whit probably will have a better shot than Willy with him playing longer and getting to super bowl helped elavate him

Dillion?
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2020, 05:38 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Dang...1 of my favorite all-time Bengal.  His HOF snub is one of the most biggest errors for induction.  I still say there is a conspiracy for Bengals not getting into the HOF.  May Ken Riley rest in peace.

Yeah, too often those that vote on HOF have personal motives and those that actually contribute the most are passed over for those that really haven't done anything. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2020, 10:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually Dillion has the numbers and what a performance in the year the Patriots won the Super Bowl...  AJ has a solid run first 6 years but last 3 nope.. don;t think he has a chance now.. Geno will be overshadowed by Donald and noseguards are rare in the HOF...  Whit probably will have a better shot than Willy with him playing longer and getting to super bowl helped elavate him

Jesus Christ:

1. Dillon.
2. Geno will be in 100%.
3. WILLIE. WILLIE FFS.

How can someone who knows so much about the team, get these simple things wrong?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I heard Mo Egger say that he thought the Rattler was hurt because the perception at the time seemed to be that he got INTs due to the fact that he player opposite Parrish. Teams were afraid to throw at Parrish, so Riley got the picks. This is dumb as hell IMO. You still have to make the play when all is said and done, and he made a ton of them over a sustained period of time. He had a hell of a year 14 seasons into his career. How many corners maintain that these days? Do you penalize a hitter that hits 300 and get 30 bombs because he's protected by a feared player on deck?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 04:40 AM)samhain Wrote: I heard Mo Egger say that he thought the Rattler was hurt because the perception at the time seemed to be that he got INTs due to the fact that he player opposite Parrish.  Teams were afraid to throw at Parrish, so Riley got the picks.  This is dumb as hell IMO. 

I don't know about opposing QBs throwing at Riley because they were afraid of Parrish, but I do know that Parrish was a much flashier player who probably stole a good bit of media attention from Riley.

Parrish held the NFL career record for return TDs for 2 decades before Deion Sanders passed his total in 1996.  Lemar still has the highest single season punt return average since the 1970 NFL/AFL merger (18.8 '74).  In fact I would argue that Parrish (8 time Pro Bowl) has a better HOF resume than Riley, but he got blackballed by the NFL due to drug trouble after he retired.
Reply/Quote
So why isnt Parrish in the HOF ?
Reply/Quote
To repeat everyone else, it's a crime he didn't get in while he was alive. If they put him in now, the family should refuse. They had 30 years to do the right thing. OK maybe they shouldn't refuse, but it's BS
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 04:40 AM)samhain Wrote: I heard Mo Egger say that he thought the Rattler was hurt because the perception at the time seemed to be that he got INTs due to the fact that he player opposite Parrish.  Teams were afraid to throw at Parrish, so Riley got the picks.  This is dumb as hell IMO.  You still have to make the play when all is said and done, and he made a ton of them over a sustained period of time.  He had a hell of a year 14 seasons into his career.  How many corners maintain that these days?  Do you penalize a hitter that hits 300 and get 30 bombs because he's protected by a feared player on deck?

then based on their logic Parrish should be in the HOF afterall he was so great no one even tested him...gimme a break

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Absolutely shameful that he didn't make the HOF while he was alive.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2020, 07:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, too often those that vote on HOF have personal motives and those that actually contribute the most are passed over for those that really haven't done anything. 

Yep. Look at Chris Webber in the NBA. Sure fire Hall of Famer. He's not in due to politics. Something that happened at Michigan.

TO had to sit several years because the media didn't like him. Small market players face an uphill battle.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 03:37 PM)impactplaya Wrote: So why isnt Parrish in the HOF ?

(06-11-2020, 11:59 AM)pally Wrote: then based on their logic Parrish should be in the HOF afterall he was so great no one even tested him...gimme a break

Parrish is not in the Hall of Fame because he got blackballed by the NFL for getting in trouble with drugs after he retired.

Seriously, he held the NFL career record for return TDs for 20 years yet his name is never mentioned among great players.  Even many young Bengal fans don't know how good Parrish was because the NFL acts like he never existed.
Reply/Quote
RIP Rattler.

Not given a chance to play QB. Converted to CB. More INTs than any pure CB (no picks at safety) in NFL history. But NOT in the Hall.

Just another injustice. Hopefully they rectify this one.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2020, 11:37 AM)pally Wrote: The Bengals great was 72

May his memory be a blessing

https://famuathletics.com/news/2020/6/7/former-rattler-football-legend-ken-riley-passes-away.aspx

I would like to see the team sport a #13 patch on jersey or on Helmets this season.
Lets see if it happens
Reply/Quote
Tommy Casanova was probably destined for a career worthy of induction as well, but he would probably have been overlooked also. The Bengals had one of the better defensive backfields the NFL has ever witnessed, but one historically grossly overlooked.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 03:37 PM)impactplaya Wrote: So why isnt Parrish in the HOF ?

thought about that myself.. he had more press and flash and more PR than Riley though I think Riley was better as a CB
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2020, 01:09 AM)Mobster Wrote: Dillion?

20th in NFL all time rushing.. RB tend to get in alot.. most in front of him are in.. and he has some accomplishments like SB ring with a great season that Super Bowl Run over 1,600 yards and setting NFL records during his career gives him a legit shot.... 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2020, 08:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Jesus Christ:

1. Dillon.
2. Geno will be in 100%.
3. WILLIE. WILLIE FFS.

How can someone who knows so much about the team, get these simple things wrong?

20th in NFL all time rushing.. RB tend to get in alot especially over lineman.. straight up facts.. even if not fair. most in front of him are in.. and he has some accomplishments like SB ring with a great season that Super Bowl Run over 1,600 yards and setting NFL records during his career gives him a legit shot all things equal.. but we are the Bengals and if Anderson can;t get in.. i don;t know if any of our great players can...

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 11:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 20th in NFL all time rushing.. RB tend to get in alot especially over lineman.. straight up facts.. even if not fair. most in front of him are in.. and he has some accomplishments like SB ring with a great season that Super Bowl Run over 1,600 yards and setting NFL records during his career gives him a legit shot all things equal.. but we are the Bengals and if Anderson can;t get in.. i don;t know if any of our great players can...

He was pointing out you got 2 of the best players in franchise history names wrong...

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Parrish is not in the Hall of Fame because he got blackballed by the NFL for getting in trouble with drugs after he retired.

Seriously, he held the NFL career record for return TDs for 20 years yet his name is never mentioned among great players.  Even many young Bengal fans don't know how good Parrish was because the NFL acts like he never existed.

Seems like a petty thing to blackball a player for.  From what I've read after reading your comments, Parrish has cleaned up and gotten his life together.  Hopefully one day both of these guys will get the recognition they deserve.
Reply/Quote
I did some googling and found a piece comparing Parrish and Riley and their HOF cases. It was written by a non-Bengal source and took a few things into account.

What seemed to be apparent, if the article is to be believed, is that the Bengals as an organization championed Riley over Parrish when asked by writers about their HOF cases.

It seems that in addition to his off-field issues, Lemar Parrish left the team on extremely acrimonious terms. He wanted a deal worth 100k per year, which the team was not willing to give him. He then went on to blast team ownership for their frugal ways when he was traded to the Redskins along with Coy Bacon. I have no idea how the team brass views Parrish now, but there seemed to be no love lost when the wounds were somewhat fresh.

Riley, on the other hand was a well-liked player within the organization who wasn't vocal in criticizing ownership. He had no off-field issues that anyone knows of and was by all accounts both an intellectual and moral pillar. He was a quarterback by trade, but took up another position and excelled without much complaint.

It's worth noting that both became head coaches at their respective alma maters later in life.

Also worth noting that Riley somehow never selected to a Pro Bowl, although Parrish went to 8.
Reply/Quote