Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race for the 2018 NFL Draft No. 1 pick: Loser of Colts-Bengals has a real shot
Fans on the board were talking playoff run after beating the Browns and Bills...then we lost to the Steelers.

Well CBS Sports thinks the loser of the Colts vs Bengals game has a real shot at the 1st pick in the draft.

We're currently slotted for the #5 pick in the draft.

With that said, I don't see us finishing with a worse record than the Browns or 49ers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/race-for-the-2018-nfl-draft-no-1-pick-loser-of-colts-bengals-has-a-real-shot/
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, it would take an extreme meltdown for us to lose, but we still have an outside shot at a top 5 pick. As Marvin says keep digging and grinding it out boys
Reply/Quote
I'm not so sure it would take a meltdown. We both have 2 wins.

We should beat them on paper...but I bet their fans think they should beat us too.
Reply/Quote
We're not going to be picking #1 were not that fortunate.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Not even the end of October and already talking draft position. Damn.
Reply/Quote
We would probably just draft a WR or CB with that #1 pick.

So no thanks lets kick some Colt butt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 09:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fans on the board were talking playoff run after beating the Browns and Bills...then we lost to the Steelers.

Well CBS Sports thinks the loser of the Colts vs Bengals game has a real shot at the 1st pick in the draft.

With that said, I don't see us finishing with a worse record than the Browns or 49ers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/race-for-the-2018-nfl-draft-no-1-pick-loser-of-colts-bengals-has-a-real-shot/

Being 62 and going on 63 in January, and having seen all 50 Bengals and Bungles years, I lost my thrill for the draft back in the Bungles 1990's.  Watching some of the latest drafts hasn't helped much.  See, I learned in the Bungles 1990's and early 2000's there is one HUGE problem with rooting for and getting a top draft pick.  That problem is your team is so awful draft picks aren't going to turn this pile of garbage around.  If you could draft Superman, he couldn't help.  This means you are picking so low you are rebuilding and years away from a Super Bowl.  That's OK for you Kids, but I'm running out of years and time. As far as death goes, I'm on the clock in draft terms.  

The Bengals made 5 straight play-offs. No play-off wins, but I was hoping 2011 to 2020 would be our dynasty decade.  That this team would go from play-off losses to Super Bowl to finish decade and reap the full rewards of that AJ Green and Dalton draft to start decade.  Well. Mike Brown went crazy and blew up the O Line.  His draft pick tackles aren't cutting it, and his going cheap at guards and center isn't cutting it.  Instead of Super Bowl Bengals won 6 games last season and may not win that many this season.  

So I don't share in any youthful enthusiasm for blowing the whole thing up and starting over.  I'm running out of time, I'm now on the clock, and I was hoping this would be our decade.  I just can't get excited about draft picks for the 2020 to 2029 decade.  Plus don't be surprised if The Brown Family tries to switch cities in the next decade to St Louis, San Diego or Oakland on a new stadium deal. Paul Brown Stadium will have reached the age Riverfront became and Mike is on the clock in age as well.  Paul Browns grand kids and great grand kids may just go to the biggest best city offer. 

My mood in 2017 went to doubtful in Mike Brown moves, to hopeful, but with no disgusted mood I'm now with disappointed which is as close to disgusted as they have.  It looks like the 1980's will be the best decade of Bengals in my lifetime. Hey Mike Brown, Guess What, In our Best Decade Ever your Dad actually paid for and had a Great Offensive Line across the board. Not just Munoz but a Pro Bowl right tackle as well.  Pro Bowl Max Montoya who you refused to pay as soon as Dad Died.  Good center and another good guard and good depth.  Imagine that Mikey Boy old boy, a good offensive line got us to 2 Super Bowls.  Your awful O Lines can't do anything but lose, Mikey. 

So, I can't share in the blowing up and rebuilding euphoria. I will say that if a Mike Ditka type ever offers The Bungles every pick in the draft plus the # 1 picks the next 2 years, TAKE IT.  Don't listen to some Cincinnati drugstore owner with a list he pulled out of his aspirins.  If the Bungles are so bad they have a top draft pick then it means Superman can't fix this team so take all the draft picks.  I don't think anybody will offer what Ditka did again though, but it was Classic Bungles they turned Ditka down and took the one and only Akili Smith, not exactly heading to the Hall Of Fame. 

So World Series not over and talking draft, it must be another year of BUNGLES.....I see Pittsburg and Baltimore of Tomlin and Harbaugh are the top teams as usual.  The Ohio teams, well.  One is named after Paul Brown and the other plays in a Stadium named after Paul Brown. Problem is Paul Brown is long dead and the Ohio teams may have his name, but that's all they have as they are last place door mats.  I hoped good football would return to NFL in Ohio, but I'm starting to see, not in my lifetime.  Well, Ohio NFL was good in the 1980's. We had the O Line, Cleveland had the defense.  Mike Brown is too smart to pay offensive linemen. This decade should have ended with 5 play-offs to going Super Bowl, but Mike Brown ruined it as he always ruins it. He took over his Dads Super Bowl team and ruined it.  ....So I just can't get excited about last place and top draft picks.  That isn't Super Bowl, that is Toilet Bowl. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 02:00 AM)Go Cards Wrote: We would probably just draft a WR or CB with that #1 pick.

So no thanks lets kick some Colt butt.

An injured one, no less.  

As stated, the Browns and 49ers have 3 more losses than us, 2 less wins than us, and have way less talent on their teams.  I can't see the future, but we would have to finish 2-14 to even have a shot at being worse than those two CFL-level squads.
Reply/Quote
This team is better than it's 2-4 record. I think that we could have won any of our first 3 games with Lazor as our OC in training camp. Do I think that this team will come back and go to the playoffs? No. Do I think we could go somewhere around 6-10 to 8-8? Definitely.

Games that will most likely lose
Steelers
Jags
Broncos

Games that it's a toss up
Titans
Vikings
Lions
Ravens

Teams that we should win
Colts
Browns
Bears

A lot could happen in the next few weeks to change which team is in which column (like injuries). We will just have to wait and see what happens. I hope that we win out and win the super bowl, but that's as likely as me sleeping with Jessica Alba. I think we will pick somewhere around 10.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 09:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fans on the board were talking playoff run after beating the Browns and Bills...then we lost to the Steelers.

Seriously, Pistons, you need to stop.

If things go well, we could make the playoffs.

If things go crappy, we STILL won't get the #1 pick.

This constant doom and gloom is seriously getting bothersome and old, we don't need to know how the sky is falling and the 20+ years of mistakes, multiple times each day.

Tired of this crap.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Amen brother. I have been there for 50 years also.

We care more about the Bengals winning than Mike Brown or most of the players.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 08:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: This team is better than it's 2-4 record. I think that we could have won any of our first 3 games with Lazor as our OC in training camp. Do I think that this team will come back and go to the playoffs? No. Do I think we could go somewhere around 6-10 to 8-8? Definitely.

Games that will most likely lose
Steelers
Jags
Broncos

Games that it's a toss up
Titans
Vikings
Lions
Ravens

Teams that we should win
Colts
Browns
Bears

A lot could happen in the next few weeks to change which team is in which column (like injuries). We will just have to wait and see what happens. I hope that we win out and win the super bowl, but that's as likely as me sleeping with Jessica Alba. I think we will pick somewhere around 10.

All irrelevant.

There is zero chance of this team winning a playoff game or competing for the Super Bowl.

But we have no chance of winning division and after last night it seems clear that Ravens with 17 players on IR are a far superior team.

Too many losses already to get a wild card only to crash out in first game because we choke or meltdown.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 09:26 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Seriously, Pistons, you need to stop.

If things go well, we could make the playoffs.

If things go crappy, we STILL won't get the #1 pick.

This constant doom and gloom is seriously getting bothersome and old, we don't need to know how the sky is falling and the 20+ years of mistakes, multiple times each day.

Tired of this crap.

^ This ^^^
Reply/Quote
I just don't see any way the Bengals end up with the first pick of the draft. I think they're going to end with at least 6 wins. While tough, I don't think an 8-8 season is completely out of the question. 6-10 or 7-9 seem realistic. For the Bengals to have a legit shot at the #1 pick, they'd have to lose out and I just don't see that happening.
Reply/Quote
CBS Mock draft has Bengals drafting 7th taking Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey

Believe Bengals will finish 7-9 and pick about 10th

Unless Staley is brought in and makes a huge splash. Then I would put us on the bubble for playoffs.

Not expecting that to happen though.

But would be fine if that is the player we select.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
To be fair though will say that do not believe they have updated this recently per having GB picking 29th.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I could see the number one pick to trade down with, but otherwise it is a non issue to me. Barkley is number one on most boards. We wont go RB at that pick.
Reply/Quote
I expect the following teams being worse than the Bengals record-wise for sure:
Browns
49ers
Giants

Teams I expect COULD be worse than the Bengals, but might not be:
Colts (we'll see how many wins they can get once Luck comes back in Nov)
Cardinals (we'll see how much David Johnson can boost this offense, especially with Palmer out for ~2 months)
Jets (crappy passing game, but running game and defense might get them ahead of Bengals)
Bears (ditto)

Very low chance of being worse than Bengals by year's end, but still possible I think:
Ravens
Buccaneers
Dolphins
Chargers

Therefore, I think this team picks #4 at best, #12 at worst. My money is on pick 5-8. I think the Bengals record will be anywhere from 5-7 wins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 12:00 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I just don't see any way the Bengals end up with the first pick of the draft. I think they're going to end with at least 6 wins. While tough, I don't think an 8-8 season is completely out of the question. 6-10 or 7-9 seem realistic. For the Bengals to have a legit shot at the #1 pick, they'd have to lose out and I just don't see that happening.

I think the Browns and 49ers will struggle to win 2-3 games...so we won't pass them. The fact that the media puts us in the discussion is interesting.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 12:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: CBS Mock draft has Bengals drafting 7th taking Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey

Only happens if the new HC recognizes that having a good OL is the foundation of having a good offense.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote