Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raiders' Gruden Used Racist Trope in Email
I'd say Urban owes Gruden at least a muffin basket for taking the spotlight from him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10014345-raiders-jon-gruden-used-racist-trope-to-describe-demaurice-smith-in-2011-email
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Meh. If a black dude says a white guy has a huge nose, it's nothing.
If a white dude says it about a white guy, again, nothing.
If a black dude says it about a black dude, again, nothing.
If a white man says it about a black man, oh crap time to break the internet and ruin this guy's life.

If we're going to have strict standards of what constitutes racism, then we should be consistent at least. Overall, what Gruden said was awful, but I don't view it as inherently racist. He didn't say all black people have big lips.

Maybe their was racism behind it, but without knowing his heart or intent, it could very well be that Gruden just thinks Smith in particular has big lips. Without knowing what's in his heart, it's just a dick comment about another human being...10 years ago.

That's my 2 cents, and I'm certainly not getting into any political debate with some of you who live for PnR. But yes...I'm sure Urban is thrilled about this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Btw, who leaks this kinda stuff from decades ago? It seems to happen a lot these days. I'm sure everyone famous is scared half to death that if they tick off the wrong person, some private conversation from 14 years ago will bubble to the surface, ending with your cancelation.

Not that I feel for famous people, but dang. I know I've said some dumb stuff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 11:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, who leaks this kinda stuff from decades ago? It seems to happen a lot these days. I'm sure everyone famous is scared half to death that if they tick off the wrong person, some private conversation from 14 years ago will bubble to the surface, ending with your cancelation.

Shit humans with nothing better to do, so to make themselves feel better they try to find something that can be viewed as controversial or racist and release it.

Honestly, no one worth a damn would release something from 10 years ago. The only exception would be if he was being investigated for this type of stuff currently and they were looking for a pattern of behavior. Otherwise, this is just some turd in the punchbowl that released it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 11:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, who leaks this kinda stuff from decades ago? It seems to happen a lot these days. I'm sure everyone famous is scared half to death that if they tick off the wrong person, some private conversation from 14 years ago will bubble to the surface, ending with your cancelation.

I doubt it really has anything to do with this, but I’m very curious. I had heard rumblings that Smith was on his way out of the NFLPA a little while back and then right before the vote this issue pops up?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 11:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, who leaks this kinda stuff from decades ago? It seems to happen a lot these days. I'm sure everyone famous is scared half to death that if they tick off the wrong person, some private conversation from 14 years ago will bubble to the surface, ending with your cancelation.

It's the Cancel Culture. They live for the opportunity to destroy someone's life. I guess it makes them feel powerful or something. Jealousy is what it is. You never see them going after the beer bellied high school dropout flying a Confederate Battle Flag from his front porch, but if someone with a little money does or says something a little sideways, they are all about wrecking their life. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 11:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's my 2 cents, and I'm certainly not getting into any political debate with some of you who live for PnR.

OK then let me just say that I don't think it was racist either.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 11:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not that I feel for famous people, but dang. I know I've said some dumb stuff.

Oh my, so have I. I could not survive the scrutiny for sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2021, 10:21 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh my, so have I. I could not survive the scrutiny for sure.

Heck, these boards alone would be a treasure trove of dumb quotes from me. LOL

It's bound to happen when you make 10+k posts.
Reply/Quote
This is overblown, but acting like cancel culture is new is also pretty stupid.  60 years ago people Didn't exactly laugh when john Lennon made his "bigger than Jesus" joke.

I will say people who were burned at the stake for their beliefs probably would have a real laugh at us acting like cancel culture is new and worse than ever.

I think the Raiders just want out of the Gruden era 5 years early.  Can he break .500 in year what year 4?  Ouch. 
Reply/Quote
why are people getting grudens emails?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:33 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This is overblown, but acting like cancel culture is new is also pretty stupid.  60 years ago people Didn't exactly laugh when john Lennon made his "bigger than Jesus" joke.

I will say people who were burned at the stake for their beliefs probably would have a real laugh at us acting like cancel culture is new and worse than ever.

I think the Raiders just want out of the Gruden era 5 years early.  Can he break .500 in year what year 4?  Ouch. 

When Lennon said that, his label didn't drop him and ruin his career. Also the internet - specifically social media - is storing every quote. In the past, the wackos didn't have an extensive database that tracked 20 years of random quotes by any and every person, so we can execute them for something they said decades ago.

The other thing you mention (burning people at the stake) is something that hasn't been commonplace in roughly 150ish years. If we don't call out cancel culture for what it is, we will eventually devolve back into burning people at the stake. Don't laugh. It's very possible.

Tbh, I don't see why anyone would defend cancel culture. Especially you. You have a great sense of humor. This trend has been death to comedy. We can't laugh about anything because we're supposed to feel miserable about every sin that's ever occurred. Every feeling that's ever been hurt.

We even have to feel bad about having this country because we stole the land from natives...even though natives did worse to each other. One tribe would dominate another tribe, scalp them, and "steal" their land. But we're bad because we won. I guess.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: When Lennon said that, his label didn't drop him and ruin his career. Also the internet - specifically social media - is storing every quote. In the past, the wackos didn't have an extensive database that tracked 20 years of random quotes by any and every person, so we can execute them for something they said decades ago.

The other thing you mention (burning people at the stake) is something that hasn't been commonplace in roughly 150ish years. If we don't call out cancel culture for what it is, we will eventually devolve back into burning people at the stake. Don't laugh. It's very possible.

Tbh, I don't see why anyone would defend cancel culture. Especially you. You have a great sense of humor. This trend has been death to comedy. We can't laugh about anything because we're supposed to feel miserable about every sin that's ever occurred. Every feeling that's ever been hurt.

We even have to feel bad about having this country because we stole the land from natives...even though natives did worse to each other. One tribe would dominate another tribe, scalp them, and "steal" their land. But we're bad because we won. I guess.

Im not defending cancel culture so much as just pointing out that it isn't new.  Treating it like emerging new crisis seems odd to me and gets mixed up im all this culture war stuff where people want to be a victim of cancel culture victimizing people. 

This Will go the same way as Josh Allen's n-bomb tweets.  Some people get upset, and some people get upset about people getting upset.  Am i getting upset about people getting upset about people getting upset?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Im not defending cancel culture so much as just pointing out that it isn't new.  Treating it like emerging new crisis seems odd to me and gets mixed up im all this culture war stuff where people want to be a victim of cancel culture victimizing people. 

This Will go the same way as Josh Allen's n-bomb tweets.  Some people get upset, and some people get upset about people getting upset.  Am i getting upset about people getting upset about people getting upset?

It's nothing new, and I agree with that. There is a difference now though, and that's what I'm driving at. Twitter and the like are extremely powerful tools, where the rage mobs can reach billions at the click of a button, and they have an endless database of things to rage about.

The biggest problem now, is that corporations are now bending to the will of these mobs, which legitimizes their lunacy AND gives them power. That's the key difference between what happened back in the day with instances like what happened with Lennon.

That's not to say corporations never bent to the will of an angry mob before, but I'd say it's much more common now. We had a huge wave of changes made last year alone, and many or them were incredibly silly, such as Uncle Ben's rice and Aunt Jemima logos being linked to racism, when those links were clearly faulty. Still they bent to the pressure.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's nothing new, and I agree with that. There is a difference now though, and that's what I'm driving at. Twitter and the like are extremely powerful tools, where the rage mobs can reach billions at the click of a button, and they have an endless database of things to rage about.

The biggest problem now, is that corporations are now bending to the will of these mobs, which legitimizes their lunacy AND gives them power. That's the key difference between what happened back in the day with instances like what happened with Lennon.

That's not to say corporations never bent to the will of an angry mob before, but I'd say it's much more common now. We had a huge wave of changes made last year alone, and many or them were incredibly silly, such as Uncle Ben's rice and Aunt Jemima logos being linked to racism, when those links were clearly faulty. Still they bent to the pressure.

I hear ya, but tines change.  Gotta adapt or go the way of the dinos.  Before you say or type you have to remember that people are going to take things the wrong way.

An email from 10 years ago isn't quite as fair as a dumbass tweet.  People arent big on forgiveness and bygones and all that.  Every person now has access to global exposure and we have to start taking that into account.  

Act in haste, repent in leisure.  

Im not in a position to weigh in on the aunt jemima stuff, nor can I stop the company from changing their logo.  I'm free to own a poster of aunt jemima, though.  Die hard have their ways of keeping their treasured pancake lady.

I bet you can even have your name legally changed to Washington Redskin if you want. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 04:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya, but tines change.  Gotta adapt or go the way of the dinos.  Before you say or type you have to remember that people are going to take things the wrong way.

An email from 10 years ago isn't quite as fair as a dumbass tweet.  People arent big on forgiveness and bygones and all that.  Every person now has access to global exposure and we have to start taking that into account.  

Act in haste, repent in leisure.  

Im not in a position to weigh in on the aunt jemima stuff, nor can I stop the company from changing their logo.  I'm free to own a poster of aunt jemima, though.  Die hard have their ways of keeping their treasured pancake lady.

I bet you can even have your name legally changed to Washington Redskin if you want. 

I'm fine with change and had no attachment to the things listed.

I just don't think society should be shaped by the loud crazy minority that's looking to score internet cool points.

I think that's how most anti-cancel culture people feel. Life is hard enough without having to feel guilty over made up drama or the sins of our great-great-great grandfathers.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 04:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm fine with change and had no attachment to the things listed.

I just don't think society should be shaped by the loud crazy minority that's looking to score internet cool points.

I think that's how most anti-cancel culture people feel.

I can agree every side is upset about a loud crazy fringe minority wrecking stuff for everyone.  
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 04:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can agree every side is upset about a loud crazy fringe minority wrecking stuff for everyone.  

What other loud crazy fringe minority is shaping society now?

Eh, I give up. This already went further than I planned.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2021, 10:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It's the Cancel Culture. They live for the opportunity to destroy someone's life. I guess it makes them feel powerful or something. Jealousy is what it is. You never see them going after the beer bellied high school dropout flying a Confederate Battle Flag from his front porch, but if someone with a little money does or says something a little sideways, they are all about wrecking their life. 

Silly rabbit, this was not from Cancel Culture.

If Gruden wrote the same remarks in the 1990's he would have been fired. And there was no Cancel Culture as it is today then. 
It was a treasure trove of emails that canned him.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 12:59 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Silly rabbit, this was not from Cancel Culture.

If Gruden wrote the same remarks in the 1990's he would have been fired. And there was no Cancel Culture as it is today then. 
It was a treasure trove of emails that canned him.

I think of that Michael Richard's rant with the n-bomb and how that was way back in 2006 before the culture wars stuff made "cancel culture" into the latest thing that's comming for ya.
Reply/Quote