Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rams to be the first truly global team in the nfl?
Could the LA Rams become the NFL's first truly global team?

http://gu.com/p/4t79y?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Uhmm..I doubt it. First they would have to win consistently which they haven't and then win the SB more than just once over the past 20 years.
Does anyone believe that the Rams will become the latest and greatest big thing around the globe? I certainly don't. People around the world aren't going to flock to go watch a 3-13 team. This is like predicting the 90s Bengals as being the premier global team..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hard to be a global team if you suck. LA fans don't flock to their teams if they're not on top. Look at the Lakers the last few years. There were a lot of empty seats until Kobe announced his retirement. Clipper games were empty until Griffin and Paul showed up. USC games aren't as packed as they used to be.

The Rams have to find a franchise QB to put them on the map.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I think the patriots are pretty well known around world... Anyways football won't be an international game until international players start playing the game at a high rate. I think its a mistake for the NFL to think that if they put a team in another country that it will automatically raise the sports profile.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
You guys are thinking too hard. It basically means they're going to skip the "Los Angeles Rams of _____" like in baseball and call "infinity" by calling themselves the Earth Rams.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 04:24 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Hard to be a global team if you suck. LA fans don't flock to their teams if they're not on top. Look at the Lakers the last few years. There were a lot of empty seats until Kobe announced his retirement. Clipper games were empty until Griffin and Paul showed up. USC games aren't as packed as they used to be.

The Rams have to find a franchise QB to put them on the map.

well we always send bad teams overseas so who knows maybe thats what they are going for.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 12:25 AM)J24 Wrote: I think the patriots are pretty well known around world... Anyways football won't be an international game until international players start playing the game at a high rate. I think its a mistake for the NFL to think that if they put a team in another country that it will automatically raise the sports profile.

I think that's a big part of it. It's like with soccer. Part of why the U.S. isn't as soccer crazy as the rest of the world is because we aren't as good as the rest of the world. We don't have a lot of U.S. athletes that are known for it. On the flip side, not a lot of other countries have as much to get excited about when we introduce U.S. football because they don't have anything to get behind — they don't have college teams and youth leagues competing in it like we do here, players from their towns or schools, etc.

It's just like building a college or high school team. If the NFL wants international appeal, they need to start building it at the youth level.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 07:17 PM)Benton Wrote: I think that's a big part of it. It's like with soccer. Part of why the U.S. isn't as soccer crazy as the rest of the world is because we aren't as good as the rest of the world. We don't have a lot of U.S. athletes that are known for it. On the flip side, not a lot of other countries have as much to get excited about when we introduce U.S. football because they don't have anything to get behind — they don't have college teams and youth leagues competing in it like we do here, players from their towns or schools, etc.

It's just like building a college or high school team. If the NFL wants international appeal, they need to start building it at the youth level.

I'm no anthropologist, but a game that requires as much equipment as football is going to have a hard time catching on anywhere but the higher-end countries.  A game that 22 kids can play with a single ball is going to win over globally every time.  

Anyways, I tend to follow the money when it comes to justification for the way anything is the way it is.  The non-stop nature of soccer is the direct opposite of football which has many breaks that allow for zounds of commercials.  More commercials means more money and more money means more promotion, and we all know promotion is almost everything.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 11:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm no anthropologist, but a game that requires as much equipment as football is going to have a hard time catching on anywhere but the higher-end countries.  A game that 22 kids can play with a single ball is going to win over globally every time.  

Anyways, I tend to follow the money when it comes to justification for the way anything is the way it is.  The non-stop nature of soccer is the direct opposite of football which has many breaks that allow for zounds of commercials.  More commercials means more money and more money means more promotion, and we all know promotion is almost everything.

To the bold, true. It is a little different at youth levels. At least not the first few grades. Before they get into pads it's still basically flag. Many gym classes play flag through high school.
Reply/Quote