Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ramsey lobbying to cover Chase
(02-08-2022, 12:30 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Ja’Marr Chase is a generational talent but from a defensive back perspective I would consider Tee Higgins a much tougher assignment. While Chase may be harder to keep up with while running routes, Higgins is a huge target — bigger and stronger than Chase — with a huge catch radius who can jump high and fight for contested balls.  Ja’Marr can move freakishly well but Tee will punish a defensive back.

Seeing the same thing right now. I see Tee having a great Superbowl.
Reply/Quote
Let him have his wish, and make him regret it. I would say to play Chase in the slot, but Ramsey is actually better in coverage from the slot position. It’ll be a rough matchup for Ja’Marr either way. Really though, he’s really good, but he can be beat.

Any chance we can bring A.J. in for the game? He could be our sacrificial lamb…just let them fight it out and get ejected again.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ramsey will cover him and he will talk shit, which will fire Chase (AKA manchild) up enough to burn him on a few plays. Mark it Down. He won't get shut out and choke him out, he will beat him on a few plays.
Reply/Quote
The Rams may decided to put Ramsey 1 on 1 vs Tee Higgins then bracket Chase on the other side more often than 1 on 1 vs Chase.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:37 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Seeing the same thing right now. I see Tee having a great Superbowl.

Do you know who else I see having a great Super Bowl? The Cincinnati secondary! Matthew Stafford has a big arm but he throws a lot of interceptions; Stafford reminds me of Carson Palmer. I have a good feeling Lou Anarumo has some rather nasty surprises in store for the Rams this weekend especially on the back end. The Los Angeles receiving corps is impressive and they are all great route runners but Stafford isn’t so accurate at times. The Bengals’ secondary will feast because combined with plaster coverage will be a pass rush that makes Stafford throw bad balls.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:46 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Ramsey will cover him and he will talk shit, which will fire Chase (AKA manchild) up enough to burn him on a few plays.  Mark it Down.  He won't get shut out and choke him out, he will beat him on a few plays.

Chase thrives on trash talk and that is what Ramsey does. I like this matchup a lot honestly.

Ramsey better back it up same as our guy Eli Apple for us.

A few plays with Ja'Marr Chase means a few TD's.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:48 AM)Synric Wrote: The Rams may decided to put Ramsey 1 on 1 vs Tee Higgins then bracket Chase on the other side more often than 1 on 1 vs Chase.

That would be smart by the Rams.

(02-08-2022, 12:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Do you know who else I see having a great Super Bowl? The Cincinnati secondary! Matthew Stafford has a big arm but he throws a lot of interceptions; Stafford reminds me of Carson Palmer.  I have a good feeling Lou Anarumo has some rather nasty surprises in store for the Rams this weekend especially on the back end.  The Los Angeles receiving corps is impressive and they are all great route runners but Stafford isn’t so accurate at times. The Bengals’ secondary will feast because combined with plaster coverage will be a pass rush that makes Stafford throw bad balls.

Once again we see the same thing. Bates, Bell, Awuzie, Hilton, Apple... our Linebackers in Wilson and Pratt.

There might be a lot of picks in this game if Stafford isn't insanely accurate.
Reply/Quote
Good.

Then he'll have no excuses when Chase scores.
Reply/Quote
The last "shutdown" CB who trash talked like this got abused by Chase (Humphries).
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:48 AM)Synric Wrote: The Rams may decided to put Ramsey 1 on 1 vs Tee Higgins then bracket Chase on the other side more often than 1 on 1 vs Chase.

Go for it. Leaves one of their mediocre DBs hanging on for dear life against Boyd.

I like this team.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:30 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Ja’Marr Chase is a generational talent but from a defensive back perspective I would consider Tee Higgins a much tougher assignment. While Chase may be harder to keep up with while running routes, Higgins is a huge target — bigger and stronger than Chase — with a huge catch radius who can jump high and fight for contested balls.  Ja’Marr can move freakishly well but Tee will punish a defensive back.

Ramsey shut AJ down pretty good (comparable in size and strength to Higgins). 1 catch for 6 yards and ejected for fighting. I'd say he did his job. 

I think we have a better shot if Ramsey covers Chase 1 v 1. Chase can beat him deep (his weakness if he has one). Chase is quicker and better at getting separation. 

Boyd and Uzo should be our focus on quick throws over the middle. Mix in some deep shots to Chase. If Higgens gets the number two CB 1v1 he should have a good day.

But really, it all comes down to can they protect Burrow. Can they scheme up quick throws to move the chains. If Burrow has only 2 seconds to throw and the receivers aren't getting open in time, it'll be a long day.
Reply/Quote

This makes the most sense to me as Ramsey can lock down Tee no problem. Then you double Chase to neutralize him (although Chase can still win this matchup if the primary cb isn't Ramsey). The big question mark is can they cover Boyd and Uzo in the middle. 

I think we need to focus on getting the ball to Boyd and Uzo first and foremost--as well as the backs. Expose the middle of the defense to open things up elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Do you know who else I see having a great Super Bowl? The Cincinnati secondary! Matthew Stafford has a big arm but he throws a lot of interceptions; Stafford reminds me of Carson Palmer.  I have a good feeling Lou Anarumo has some rather nasty surprises in store for the Rams this weekend especially on the back end.  The Los Angeles receiving corps is impressive and they are all great route runners but Stafford isn’t so accurate at times. The Bengals’ secondary will feast because combined with plaster coverage will be a pass rush that makes Stafford throw bad balls.

I think we need to sit back in coverage most of the time as we did against the Chiefs. Lock them down and rush 3-4 guys. Stafford is great against the blitz so it will be tough to be successful unless we can confuse him. 

The big question is can they stop the run. If the Rams come out running a lot, we better shut it down or it will be a long day.
Reply/Quote
Stafford was only good against the blitz because the blitz would get picked up and he would have wide open targets. Against pressure without a blitz he is not good at all. And it just happens that getting pressure without blitzing is something our defense does well. Meanwhile Burrow is elite against blitzes AND elite under pressure. Also the Rams all season were bad versus screens and we have actually gotten decent at them.

While it is true the right side of the OL has had problems it is also true that it is getting overplayed a bit by the sports media. Note that they followed the 9 sacks by Tennessee by only 1 against KC. I expect our OL performance will be somewhere in between, say 4 sacks. I also expect us to continue our disciplined (few penalties) and unlikely to turn it over play.
Reply/Quote
1. If our D shows up, we should win; unless Stafford is razor sharp.

2. Dink dunk to Mixon, Perine, Boyd and CJ all the way to the end zone.
This will neutralize LA’s D with plays that develop in only 2-3 seconds.
*Must take Donald and VonM out of the game.

3. JB scrambling and taking the gimme yards when available; as he did against KC to keep them honest, will not only help as well but force them to change their D plan a bit too.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, Ramsey on Higgins, all Joe has to do is throw his passes high and Higgins will go up and get them all day long.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 10:31 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Mike evans was 4 catches on 9 targets for 88 yards.

I figured he would go against Higgins and predict 4/75.
If he goes against chase I predict the first 100 yard game since AB in 2017

He will be holding every single play and not get called, though.  That's kind of his MO. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 02:42 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Go for it. Leaves one of their mediocre DBs hanging on for dear life against Boyd.

I like this team.

They can play cover 2 with a bracket ove Chase and limit YAC by short routes while creating pressure with their really good front 4. 

The Bengals need to figure out a way to pull an extra defender in the box and possibly open up chances for big plays. I would feel alot more comfortable about the offense is the run game wasnt so inconsistent. Bengals have been in 3rd and Longs alot over the last two playoff games and that is not a good thing.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 09:43 AM)Synric Wrote: They can play cover 2 with a bracket ove Chase and limit YAC by short routes while creating pressure with their really good front 4. 

The Bengals need to figure out a way to pull an extra defender in the box and possibly open up chances for big plays. I would feel alot more comfortable about the offense is the run game wasnt so inconsistent. Bengals have been in 3rd and Longs alot over the last two playoff games and that is not a good thing.

They aren't going to double him with Ramsey, you went out and got this guy so you don't have to double. He will shadow like he did with Evans and play him singled up. I actually think you will see them play split coverages with Ramsey locked on the backside with chase and some combo coverages like "Mable" to the front side. The other option is to play cover 1 and let the safety cheat to Higgins side, with a robber running bracket for Boyd.

If I am the Bengals I play Chase out of the slot 50% of the time, Ramsey doesn't play out of the slot often and is not nearly as effective. Make Ramsey do something he is less comfortable doing.
Reply/Quote
I’d just put Ramsey on Tee and then double Chase overtop and tell that safety to not let Chase behind him. Honestly id tell both safeties just to not let Chase behind them and make sure our slot is covered. Put Boyd in Tee in man with 2 high safeties back every play and tell the safeties to be mindful of Chase. Tee isn’t gonna get deep because Ramsey and Boyd usually doesn’t run deep so probably won’t kill you either. That defense will leave you susceptible to clear out routes and quick seams to Boyd but I’m willing to bet that LAR will wager that Boyd isn’t gonna catch 12 passes for 200 yards.
-Housh
Reply/Quote