Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ramsey lobbying to cover Chase
(02-08-2022, 09:43 AM)Synric Wrote: They can play cover 2 with a bracket ove Chase and limit YAC by short routes while creating pressure with their really good front 4. 

The Bengals need to figure out a way to pull an extra defender in the box and possibly open up chances for big plays. I would feel alot more comfortable about the offense is the run game wasnt so inconsistent. Bengals have been in 3rd and Longs alot over the last two playoff games and that is not a good thing.

You don’t necessarily need big plays. A 41-45 win is the same win as a 3-6 win.

If they play off we need to Mike White Jets their ass and go down the field slowly and safely. I’m totally fine not having one play for more than 20 yards in a win
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:30 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Ja’Marr Chase is a generational talent but from a defensive back perspective I would consider Tee Higgins a much tougher assignment. While Chase may be harder to keep up with while running routes, Higgins is a huge target — bigger and stronger than Chase — with a huge catch radius who can jump high and fight for contested balls.  Ja’Marr can move freakishly well but Tee will punish a defensive back.

Bigger, sure. Stronger? I don't know about that one at all.

Chase did 23 reps to Higgins' 15. He's also just built differently with more a RB body compared to Higgins' lankier WR body.

[Image: 433-84156-original.jpeg]
[Image: tee-higgins-of-the-cincinnati-bengals-in...1269173610]

Side-by-side:
[Image: usatsi_16581764_168390307_lowres-1.jpg]

Weight lifting, blocking, wrestling, whatever strength contest. I wouldn't bet on Higgins over Chase.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:44 AM)Housh Wrote: You don’t necessarily need big plays. A 41-45 win is the same win as a 3-6 win.

If they play off we need to Mike White Jets their ass and go down the field slowly and safely. I’m totally fine not having one play for more than 20 yards in a win

Their tackling has been suspect and their linebackers are a weakness, swing passes and screens to the HB should be a large part of this game no matter what they do defensively. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:50 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Chase thrives on trash talk and that is what Ramsey does. I like this matchup a lot honestly.

Ramsey better back it up same as our guy Eli Apple for us.

A few plays with Ja'Marr Chase means a few TD's.

Agree 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:46 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bigger, sure. Stronger? I don't know about that one at all.

Chase did 23 reps to Higgins' 15. He's also just built differently with more a RB body compared to Higgins' lankier WR body.

Side-by-side:

Weight lifting, blocking, wrestling, whatever strength contest. I wouldn't bet on Higgins over Chase.

Yeah, Tee definitely isn’t stronger than Chase. Some of Chase’s biggest YAC plays have come from just straight up shaking tacklers off of him. You don’t really see that with Tee as much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 10:27 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Meh, we have the blueprint for handling him.

[Image: green-ramsey.png]

I was at that game. It was mayhem.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 02:57 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Ramsey shut AJ down pretty good (comparable in size and strength to Higgins). 1 catch for 6 yards and ejected for fighting. I'd say he did his job. 

Funny to think about it now.  I wonder if that game broke AJ Green?  His production dropped off pretty quickly after that and then he suffered a series of injuries that took forever to rehab.   His heart never seemed in it after that.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:25 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I was at that game. It was mayhem.

If memory serves, we lost that game too, and I don't think it was close.  I remember the following week as a TD celebration Bell and Smith-Schuster did a pantomime of the fight that was funny but was not much appreciated here.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 11:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This would be ideal. I doubt they do it though.

If Ramsey covers Chase 1 on 1 he is definitely the best cover Corner in the NFL.

I don't see it happening though. Chase will tear Ramsey up, I don't care how good you are. You need to double Chase in this game.

Ramsey will have a few great plays but Chase WILL get free and that means TD's. Chase is too good and too physical.

Yes I think the smaller quicker CBS have a better chance VS Chase. Ramsey is a bit long and Chase could exploit that with his quickness.
But yes please keep saying how great you are Ramsey etc etc....all we do is go out and make guys like you look like dog crap. I cant wait to see how Ramsey reacts to trying to tackle Chase, a whole different deal the what hes used to.
Reply/Quote
They are both freak athletes. The advantage Ramsey brings is his experience and ability to anticipate routes. The advantage that Chase has is that he knows where he is going; Ramsey can only take an educated guess.

The question becomes, how well can Chase bait Ramsey into a mistake?

I don't have an answer to that, or even a guess. The only thing I am confident of is that when our QB sees man to man coverage on #1, that's where the ball is going.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:46 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bigger, sure. Stronger? I don't know about that one at all.

Side-by-side:

Still agree with his overall point though. Not that CB's ain't sweating having to cover Chase. But if I'm a CB, give me the speed guy - with probable safety help over the top - instead of the big body WR who wins every 50-50 ball with a huge catch radius.

Seems like you'd have to be more physical with Tee and it would be so frustrating to do well in coverage and still give up 7 catches for 100 yards.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: They aren't going to double him with Ramsey, you went out and got this guy so you don't have to double. He will shadow like he did with Evans and play him singled up. I actually think you will see them play split coverages with Ramsey locked on the backside with chase and some combo coverages like "Mable" to the front side. The other option is to play cover 1 and let the safety cheat to Higgins side, with a robber running bracket for Boyd.

If I am the Bengals I play Chase out of the slot 50% of the time, Ramsey doesn't play out of the slot often and is not nearly as effective. Make Ramsey do something he is less comfortable doing.

This is the way we should attack them. Lots of Chase in the Slot. Chase is too quick for Ramsey and like you said isn't as 
comfortable playing Slot Corner. If Ramsey truly wants to cover Chase this is what he would have to do and good luck.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 01:47 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes I think the smaller quicker CBS have a better chance VS Chase. Ramsey is a bit long and Chase could exploit that with his quickness.
But yes please keep saying how great you are Ramsey etc etc....all we do is go out and make guys like you look like dog crap. I cant wait to see how Ramsey reacts to trying to tackle Chase, a whole different deal the what hes used to.

Plus as we have been talking about Chase should be in the Slot a lot in this game and Ramsey isn't comfortable playing 
Slot Corner. So true about trying to tackle Chase, easier said than done with his strength and balance. I know Ramsey has
played against Deebo who is about the only guy I can really compare Chase to but Deebo excelled against the Rams.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Still agree with his overall point though. Not that CB's ain't sweating having to cover Chase. But if I'm a CB, give me the speed guy - with probable safety help over the top - instead of the big body WR who wins every 50-50 ball with a huge catch radius.

Seems like you'd have to be more physical with Tee and it would be so frustrating to do well in coverage and still give up 7 catches for 100 yards.

Former D1 corner here, so take it for what it's worth- I hated playing against the speed guys personally. The focus involved was intense. Any sudden movement that you bit on and you were done. 

Not that bigger WR's weren't a problem too, just personally hated the speed guys.

That being said, Ramsey is an elite corner, I enjoy his game. I will be watching him Vs Chase very closely.
Reply/Quote
Jalen Ramsey is very comfortable playing slot corner
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:08 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think the safer bet (for them) would be using Ramsey on Tee, and rolling coverage to Chase.

But I hope they listen to Ramsey. Please give him that one on one.

They are gonna be miss matched wither way. Their other outside corner is complete garbage..  They are gonna go away from Ramsey unless he is in 1 on 1 with either Chase or Higgins. Can't double them both.. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 06:20 PM)TCUBengal34 Wrote: Former D1 corner here, so take it for what it's worth- I hated playing against the speed guys personally. The focus involved was intense. Any sudden movement that you bit on and you were done. 

Not that bigger WR's weren't a problem too, just personally hated the speed guys.

That being said, Ramsey is an elite corner, I enjoy his game. I will be watching him Vs Chase very closely.

D1? I'm assuming TCU? You play with Dalton by any chance?

I appreciate the input. It might just come down to preference. I'm just glad we have 2 great receivers that present different problems.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 12:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: D1? I'm assuming TCU? You play with Dalton by any chance?

I appreciate the input. It might just come down to preference. I'm just glad we have 2 great receivers that present different problems.

I was wondering the same things with the new poster. Would be cool to have a former TCU Corner to talk with on here.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 12:11 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I was wondering the same things with the new poster. Would be cool to have a former TCU Corner to talk with on here.

Agreed, it's cool knowing our posters that played a high level of ball such as D1. They add unique perspective.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 12:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: D1? I'm assuming TCU? You play with Dalton by any chance?

Yes sir TCU. I'm a few years older than Andy but yes we were on the same team for 2 years. I actually used to post on the old Bengals.com board years and years ago before the Bengals ever drafted Andy. Marvin White was a secondary teammate of mine as well, I'm sure a lot of you guys remember him. Then going back even further, Matt Schobel was another great TCU player who also played for the Bengals.

(02-09-2022, 12:11 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I was wondering the same things with the new poster. Would be cool to have a former TCU Corner to talk with on here.
Thanks, I wasn't that good though. LOL

(02-09-2022, 12:17 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Agreed, it's cool knowing our posters that played a high level of ball such as D1. They add unique perspective.
It was a long time ago, and the game has changed a lot, but I still like trying to breakdown coverages and route trees.
Reply/Quote