25-32 (One of the worst in the League)
0%
0 0%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank our DTs
The rankings continue. This time we move to interior Dline. I'll go with 3. Our 3:

DJ Reader
Larry Ogunjobi
Mike Daniels

The competition

ARZ- JJ Watt-Rashad Lawrence-J0sh Allen
ATL- Grady Jarret-Tyson Davidson-Marion Davidson
BAL- Derrek Wolfe-Brandon Williams-Justin Madubuke
BUF- Vernon Butler-Ed Oliver-Star Lotulelei
CAR-Bravvion Roy-Derrek Brown-Daquan Jones
CHI-Akiem Hicks-Eddie Goldman-Bilal Nichols
CLV- Andrew Billings-Makik Jackson-Jordan Elliott
DAL-Neville Gallimore-Trysten Hill-Oga Odighizuwa
DEN-Dre'Mont Jones-Mike-Purcell-Shelby Harris
DET- Michael Brockers-Levi Onwuzurike-Alim McNeil
GBP-Dean Lowrey-Kenny Clark-Kingsley Keke
HOU-Vicent Taylor-Malik Collins-Charles Omenihu
IND- Deforest Buckner-Grover Stewart-Antwan Woods
JAX- Roy RobinsonHarris-Malcolm Brown-Tavon Bryant
KCC- Chris Jones-Jarren Reid-Derik Nnadi
LVR- Quinton Jefferson-Johnathan Hankins-Soloman Thomas
LAC-Jerry Tillery-Linval joseph-Justin Jones
LAR-A'Shawn Robinson-Aaron Donald-Bobby Brown III
MIA- Christian Wilkins-Raekwon Davis-John Jenkins
MIN- Michael Pierce-Davlin Tomlison-Jaylen Twyman
NEP- Lawrence Guy-Davon Godchaux-Henry Anderson
NOS- Malcom Roach-David Onyemata-Christian Ringo
NYG- Dexter Lawrence-Danny Shelton-Leonard Williams
NYJ- Sheldon Rankins-Quinnen Williams-Folo Fatukasi
PHI- Javon Hargrave-Fletcher Cox-Hassan Ridgeway
PIT-Stephen Tuitt-Tyson Alualu-Cameron Hayward
SFF-Javon Kinlaw-DJ Jones-Maurice Hurst
SEA- Poona Ford-Bryan Mone-Al Woods
TBB- Ndomakung Suh-Vita Vea-William Gholston
TEN- Jeffrey Simmons-Teair Tart-Danico Autry
WAS-Johnathan Allen-Daron Paye-Tim Settle

FA-Geno Atkins-Jurrel casey-Sheldon Richardson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Both reader and Ogunjobi are young. If they can both just produce like they did in 2019 we will have one of the best DT duos in the league. Look at where they ranked among all DT/NTs that year

................Reader.......Ogunjobi
Tackles.......10th (52).... 11th (50)
OB Hits........ 5th (13).... 5th (13)
TFL.............16th (6)..... 3rd (10)
Sacks..........26th (2.5).. 8th (5.5)
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Both reader and Ogunjobi are young.  If they can both just produce like they did in 2019 we will have one of the best DT duos in the league.  Look at where they ranked among all DT/NTs that year

................Reader.......Ogunjobi
Tackles.......10th (52).... 11th (50)
OB Hits........ 5th (13)....  5th (13)
TFL.............16th (6).....  3rd (10)
Sacks..........26th (2.5)..   8th (5.5)

I hope you are right!
Reply/Quote
I'm banking on them being a top 10 unit.
Reply/Quote
I put mid pack. I think they will end the season better than they start.

One thing that is overlooked with this 2021 defense is that there are so many new pieces it could take some time to get on the same page. Nervous this is our Phili dream team scenario. I believe there are new starters at every position other than Safety, LB and Hubbard. Everything else will be new. A much needed change, but could take time before things start clicking.
Reply/Quote
As I was preparing the thread I only noticed 3 units that I'd put ahead of them without question:

TBB
LAR
PHI

Others may be better but it could be argued.

Also, it apparently helps to have a last name that starts with O and is hard to spell

Finally, there's a few FAs that could improve our "1st off the bench"

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 01:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Finally, there's a few FAs that could improve our "1st off the bench"

This.

I really like DJ and Larry, but I am also concerned about our depth.

Most positions can play every snap effectively, but D-linemen need a rotation where they only play 70%-80%.
Reply/Quote
I've got them in that 7-12 range. If health is on their side, and Shelvin develops like I think he will, they could be rather formidable in the second half of the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like our NTs but our 3T is a bit to be desired. Larry is an interesting player to evaluate he has the stats that make him look good but his PFF score is bad. Also Daniels can't stay healthy.

For right now their mid pack but I would not be shocked if there top 5 by the end of the year if Larry plays up to his ability.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 02:37 PM)J24 Wrote:  Larry is an interesting player to evaluate he has the stats that make him look good but his PFF score is bad. 

I'll take production over PFFs scores anyday

He was one of the top playmaking DTs in 2018 and 2019.  Over those two seasons among all DTs he ranked 5th in TFLs (20), 6th in solo tackles (68), 11th in QB hits (28), and 12th in sacks (11).

Ogunjobi is only 26 years old and has no major injury issues.  He is a great athlete who blew up the combine when he placed first among DTs in both the broad jump and vertical, 3rd in the three-cone, 4th in bench, and 5th in the forty.

He could easily be a Pro Bowl level player for us.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 02:37 PM)J24 Wrote: I like our NTs but our 3T is a bit to be desired. Larry is an interesting player to evaluate he has the stats that make him look good but his PFF score is bad. Also Daniels can't stay healthy.

For right now their mid pack but I would not be shocked if there top 5 by the end of the year if Larry plays up to his ability.

I think Cam Sample is getting overlooked simply because Shelvin is from LSU. Wouldn't be surprised to see him getting some work inside on 3rd downs

Reply/Quote
7-12 if they are healthy. Reader when healthy is a top run stopper that also can rush the passer, Ogunjobi just has been
used as a NT and that is not where he should be used. The guy is a 3-tech all the way the way Geno used to be and he
could have his breakout season here as that is where they said he will be used. Mike Daniels didn't play as good as I
thought he would last year but he is a great locker room dude and has shown flashes. Loved how he pumped up the D
to put a beat down on the Steelers last year.

Shelvin and Tupou are big dudes in the middle to stop the run. Hope Wren finally comes around.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 02:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll take production over PFFs scores anyday

He was one of the top playmaking DTs in 2018 and 2019.  Over those two seasons among all DTs he ranked 5th in TFLs (20), 6th in solo tackles (68), 11th in QB hits (28), and 12th in sacks (11).

Ogunjobi is only 26 years old and has no major injury issues.  He is a great athlete who blew up the combine when he placed first among DTs in both the broad jump and vertical, 3rd in the three-cone, 4th in bench, and 5th in the forty.

He could easily be a Pro Bowl level player for us.
Yes we all know you don't value PFF.
(06-05-2021, 03:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Cam Sample is getting overlooked simply because Shelvin is from LSU. Wouldn't be surprised to see him getting some work inside on 3rd downs
He is interesting player i Like his inside- out versatility on the line.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 03:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Cam Sample is getting overlooked simply because Shelvin is from LSU. Wouldn't be surprised to see him getting some work inside on 3rd downs

Cam Sample showed a crazy first step at the Senior Bowl theres only 1 rep where the offensive linemen werent just trying to slow him down as he was going by them and he even won with his second move on that same rep.

Sample's reps are through out the tape along with Wyatt Hubert. D'Ante Smith is near the end of the video.

https://youtu.be/_ssmw9c4gFY

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 03:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Cam Sample showed a crazy first step at the Senior Bowl theres only 1 rep where the offensive linemen werent just trying to slow him down as he was going by them and he even won with his second move on that same rep.

Sample's reps are through out the tape along with Wyatt Hubert. D'Ante Smith is near the end of the video.

https://youtu.be/_ssmw9c4gFY

Sample looked clean.

Makes me wonder more why David Moore went undrafted. 

Reply/Quote
Generally I don't count on much from rookies after the second round. Lots of good players are drafted after the second round, but they usually need a year to develop. But as thin as we are at DT I would not be surprised to see Shelvin or even Sample getting a lot of snaps.

Like I said before D-line is the one place where you really need a rotation of players.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 12:08 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I hope you are right!

Liked Larry but just have to wonder if playing next to Garrett pumped up those numbers?   
Reply/Quote
Not sure how to rank them against rest, but I like our DTs and believe they could be awesome this year! I liked the Jobi pick up a lot.
Reply/Quote

What? Cam isn't a NT and that is the biggest reason he fell. He is an edge rusher that can stop the run.

They used Cam in the middle way too much at Tulane and that is why he fell. 

He is a lot like Carl Lawson honestly but a better run stopper.

Shelvin is a NT all the way, don't even get the comparison.WTF
Reply/Quote
I voted 7-12.One of the better lines in the league.Once this defense puts it together,they should be top 15,maybe even top 10.Although there are some younger guys that we’re not real sure about yet.Looking forward to seeing this defense in action almost as much as the offense.But I have to admit that the offense is definitely going to be very entertaining.This team is going to the playoffs this year.
Reply/Quote