Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank the DT's
So I am listing 10 DT's for this draft and I'm wondering how you rank them in comparison to mine.

1. Jer'Zhan Newton
2.Tyleik Williams
3. Maason Smith
4. Leonard Taylor
5. Kris Jenkins
6. Brandon Dorlus
7. T'Vondre Sweat
8. Ruke Orhorhoro
9. Tyler Davis
10.Michael Hall
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 08:15 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So I am listing 10 DT's for this draft and I'm wondering how you rank them in comparison to mine.  

1. Jer'Zhan Newton
2.Tyleik Williams
3. Maason Smith
4. Leonard Taylor
5. Kris Jenkins
6. Brandon Dorlus
7. T'Vondre Sweat
8. Ruke Orhorhoro
9. Tyler Davis
10.Michael Hall

I don't know about ranking them yet but its a good year to need a Defensive Tackle.

Both Texas Defensive Tackles T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy II are AP All-American (First and Third teams respectively). LSU's Maason Smith was the Number 1 ranked HS recruit in 2021 all kinds of talent but a ACL in 2022 ruined that year and slowed down this one. He's also playing alot of Gap Control Nose Tackle. Leonard Taylor is another 5 star guy he's more of a 3T and like Myles Murphy when he starts using his hands more pass rushing he is going to be a real problem. Bengals like tweeners and that describes Brandon Dorlus perfectly same mold as Cam Sample and Zac Carter. Clemson is starting to become a go to program for the Bengals Murphy's 2022 teammate Ruke Orhorhoro might end up high on their board. 

List of Nose Tackles:
T'Vondre Sweat
Maason Smith
McKinnley Jackson
Nazir Stackhouse
Fabien Lovett

Tyleik Williams (more of a penetrating A gap defender without the gap control)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 08:15 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So I am listing 10 DT's for this draft and I'm wondering how you rank them in comparison to mine.

1. Jer'Zhan Newton
2.Tyleik Williams
3. Maason Smith
4. Leonard Taylor
5. Kris Jenkins
6. Brandon Dorlus
7. T'Vondre Sweat
8. Ruke Orhorhoro
9. Tyler Davis
10.Michael Hall

1. Newton.

Large gap.

2. Tyleik Williams.
3. Teveondre sweat.
4. Brandon dorlus
5. Mason smith
6. Kris Jenkins.
7. Micheal hall
8. Duke orhororo
9. Leonard Taylor
10.Tyler Davis
Reply/Quote
The Senior Bowl OL/DL battles this year are gonna be some of the best in recent history.

https://www.seniorbowl.com/accepted-invites/

(Shame WVU's Zach Frazier was injured in the last game of the year)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2023, 12:37 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't know about ranking them yet but its a good year to need a Defensive Tackle.

Both Texas Defensive Tackles T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy II are AP All-American (First and Third teams respectively). LSU's Maason Smith was the Number 1 ranked HS recruit in 2021 all kinds of talent but a ACL in 2022 ruined that year and slowed down this one. He's also playing alot of Gap Control Nose Tackle. Leonard Taylor is another 5 star guy he's more of a 3T and like Myles Murphy when he starts using his hands more pass rushing he is going to be a real problem. Bengals like tweeners and that describes Brandon Dorlus perfectly same mold as Cam Sample and Zac Carter. Clemson is starting to become a go to program for the Bengals Murphy's 2022 teammate Ruke Orhorhoro might end up high on their board. 

List of Nose Tackles:
T'Vondre Sweat
Maason Smith
McKinnley Jackson
Nazir Stackhouse
Fabien Lovett

Thanks for this Synric, lots of good info on the DT's this year. With Reader's injury I think T'Vondre Sweat fits just what we need at NT and
BJ Hill has been playing pretty great lately as the 3-tech. Carter just showed up huge in this last Vikings game with a monster run stop. I still
think we need to add a 3-tech to collapse the middle of OL's, but that might be next year after we see if Carter can grow into this for us.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2023, 12:37 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't know about ranking them yet but its a good year to need a Defensive Tackle.

List of Nose Tackles:
T'Vondre Sweat
Maason Smith
McKinnley Jackson
Nazir Stackhouse
Fabien Lovett

Williams is going to need to go to a 1-gap scheme to have success at the NFL level.  Guy simply doesn't have the length to be a 2-gap NT.  He's probably going to plummet just because of lack of scheme fits.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 11:09 AM)Whatever Wrote: Williams is going to need to go to a 1-gap scheme to have success at the NFL level.  Guy simply doesn't have the length to be a 2-gap NT.  He's probably going to plummet just because of lack of scheme fits.  

I think Williams could be a 3-tech pretty easily. Also he has the profile to play 2-gap NT. It’s what makes him so interesting to me. He can play either at a high level. But right now sweat is my top DT who we can realistically get,
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 11:31 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I think Williams could be a 3-tech pretty easily. Also he has the profile to play 2-gap NT. It’s what makes him so interesting to me. He can play either at a high level. But right now sweat is my top DT who we can realistically get,

If Williams really is a short 6'2 290lbs with no length then he will be a 3T. Probably only a 3T without much versatility with no length to play 4i or 5t, not big enough to play the nose, and poor core strength for gap control.

Tyliek Williams measurables could cause him to either be a day 2 guy or a day 3 guy. 

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 12:41 PM)Synric Wrote: If Williams really is a short 6'2 290lbs with no length then he will be a 3T. Probably only a 3T without much versatility with no length to play 4i or 5t, not big enough to play the nose, and poor core strength for gap control.

Tyliek Williams measurables could cause him to either be a day 2 guy or a day 3 guy. 

When tyleik Williams came to osu, he got 6.5 sacks at 360 lbs. I think the length concerns are exaggerated. He bats down passes all the time, and his length has never hosted up on film too much. He’s currently listed at 6”2 320. He has the anchor to play NT.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 04:46 PM)Jpoore Wrote: When tyleik Williams came to osu, he got 6.5 sacks at 360 lbs. I think the length concerns are exaggerated. He bats down passes all the time, and his length has never hosted up on film too much. He’s currently listed at 6”2 320. He has the anchor to play NT.

He is currently listed at 290lbs. I think he's closer to 305.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/football/roster/tyleik-williams/6273

His lack of length shows up when using gap control techniques which also highlights his lack of core strength. He played much better when his weight is in gap cancel up on his front foot. Williams inability to control the OL instead of shooting gaps was a big reason Ohio States run defense was closer to NCAA Average.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 05:22 PM)Synric Wrote: He is currently listed at 290lbs. I think he's closer to 305.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/football/roster/tyleik-williams/6273

His lack of length shows up when using gap control techniques which also highlights his lack of core strength. He played much better when his weight is in gap cancel up on his front foot. Williams inability to control the OL instead of shooting gaps was a big reason Ohio States run defense was closer to NCAA Average.

Osu dline is taught to stack instead of shoot… I saw plenty of games where he 2 gapped extremely well. Also weird but most scouting reports show him at 320-330lbs. As a freshman he was 360 don’t see any way he lost 70 lbs. he likely is a 3-tech/Larry o player at next level but can play NT I. Pinch. I would love to pair sweat and Williams.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 11:31 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I think Williams could be a 3-tech pretty easily. Also he has the profile to play 2-gap NT. It’s what makes him so interesting to me. He can play either at a high level. But right now sweat is my top DT who we can realistically get,

(12-24-2023, 12:39 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Osu dline is taught to stack instead of shoot… I saw plenty of games where he 2 gapped extremely well.  Also weird but most scouting reports show him at 320-330lbs. As a freshman he was 360 don’t see any way he lost 70 lbs. he likely is a 3-tech/Larry o player at next level but can play NT I. Pinch. I would love to pair sweat and Williams.

So you are saying Tyliek Williams is position and scheme versitle high level run defender and pass rusher from the IDL.... Why isn't he a top 10 prospect?... because it's not true. 

He is a top 100 prospect but he comes with warts. Length hands core power. He is not a good gap control defender. When he is asked to control the OL instead of shooting a gap its a mixed bag. You mentioned Larry O and that is a good comp because he is the same way. Larry O struggled at nose tackle in 2020 for the Browns for similar reasons.

Reply/Quote
I love the big guy outta Texas, but I like his teammate more in the 2nd than him in the first
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 09:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I love the big guy outta Texas, but I like his teammate more in the 2nd than him in the first

Murphy will probably be a first RD pick come April; He'll both the Texas DTs might go in the First 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 04:46 PM)Jpoore Wrote: When tyleik Williams came to osu, he got 6.5 sacks at 360 lbs. I think the length concerns are exaggerated. He bats down passes all the time, and his length has never hosted up on film too much. He’s currently listed at 6”2 320. He has the anchor to play NT.

Williams had 5 sacks his freshman year, not 6.5.  4 of those came against powerhouses Tulsa, Akron, and Rutgers.  The 5th came when they emptied the bench late in 56-7 drubbing of Michigan St.

He came in massively overweight due to a bout with COVID and by his own admission couldn't stay on the field due to his conditioning.  He had already dropped over pounds going into the '22 season.  
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 11:10 AM)Whatever Wrote: Williams had 5 sacks his freshman year, not 6.5.  4 of those came against powerhouses Tulsa, Akron, and Rutgers.  The 5th came when they emptied the bench late in 56-7 drubbing of Michigan St.

He came in massively overweight due to a bout with COVID and by his own admission couldn't stay on the field due to his conditioning.  He had already dropped over pounds going into the '22 season.  

Yeah but still dropping 70lbs I’d be surprised. Just from watching him 310-325 seems in that range. He don’t look like 290. And I was looking at TFL, not sacks my bad. But my point holds. Think the length concerns are exaggerated. He’s been great this year, and ideally you would have him at 3-tech but in a pinch having someone like that that can play nose would be a tremendous value.
Reply/Quote
Ugh.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39236362/ohio-state-dt-tyleik-williams-return-buckeyes-24
Reply/Quote
https://ugawire.usatoday.com/lists/social-media-thrilled-nazir-stackhouse-announces-uga-football-return/
https://cincyontheprowl.com/2023/11/30/cincinnati-football-dontay-corleone-reveals-decision-return-bearcats-2024/
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2023/01/16/michigan-wolverines-kris-jenkins-says-hes-coming-back-next-season/69811977007/ {edit: my bad this was last year}

Underclassmen declaring: Byron Murphy II, Jer'Zhan Newtown, Leonard Taylor, Michael Hall, Mehki Wingo...
Reply/Quote
Braden Fiske will be a day 3 guy to watch. There's "high motor" guys, there's "relentless motor" guys... Then there is Braden Fiske. Offensive Linemen have such a hard time keeping their hands on Fiske.

Reply/Quote
23 Jer'zhan Newton DT Illinois 6'2 295
43 T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas 6'4 350 Sr. Bowl
55 Ruke Orhorhoro DT Clemson 6'4 295 Sr. Bowl
56 Byron Murphy DT Texas 6'1 308 Sr. Bowl
59 Leonard Taylor DT Miami 6'3 305
61 Brandon Dorlus DT Oregon 6'3 290 Sr. Bowl
76 Kris Jenkins DT Michigan 6'3 285
87 Michael Hall DT Ohio State 6'2 285
89 Maason Smith DT LSU 6'6 315
95 Tyler Davis DT Clemson 6'2 300 Sr. Bowl

I'm posting an updated re-rank with their overall number listed on the left.
Reply/Quote