Green Bay
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Tampa Bay
Arizona
Miami
NY Jets
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ranking The Current Openings
On the one hand who wants to be HC on a team with the worst GM in the history of the NFL ?

On the other hand if you turned the Bengals into a winner you could write your own ticket.

Who wants a challenge ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 02:13 PM)Tomkat Wrote: How so?  They didn't beat a single team with a winning record, this season.

They will have the best QB in the division when Ben retires, if not sooner, they have a really good RB in Chubb, Myles Garrett on defense, and John Dorsey running the show. I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to think they’ll be contenders for the division for a while.

They’re the top job, imo.

Reply/Quote
There are multiple factors that go into decision making on the part of candidates in terms of optimal organization. But the reality is that from a candidate perspective, a HC position in NFL is a privilege that very few would turn down.

In terms of ranking, talent is important, but so is stability in ownership, meddling nature of owner/GM in game prep/strategy, short and intermediate term expectations, divisional opponents, draft position, and even state income taxes, etc.

Green Bay- Good QB, but not much talent. Strong competition in the division. Ownership by committee. Unreasonable expectations, given the above.

Cleveland - Unproven QB, shaky ownership with recent legal issues. Strong willed GM with a power trip. Short term success is problematic with two SB winning Teams in the division.

Tampa - Below average QB and overall talent is subpar. Stable ownership. Tough division with SB winning Team and two SB participants in the past 5 years.

Jets - Unproven QB and below average talent. Tough market. Bill Belichek....

Arizona - Unproven QB. Below average talent. Rams, Seahawks....

Miami - Dysfunctional organization from top to bottom. Only good thing is no state income tax.

Denver - Elway is a meddler. Good defense, but nowhere near the SB Team. QB situation is shaky. Chiefs, Chargers and Chucky.

That brings us to the Bengals. One of few NFL Teams where the ownership owns the Team outright. Irrespective of opinion, that is stable ownership that is patient. No meddling by ownership and supposed GM in game plan and strategy.

Established QB with a solid core of weapons. Solid secondary and veteran pieces on the D-line.

Good draft position. 4-5 players away from competing.
Reply/Quote
As I'm thinking about the rankings, I started to consider the division the teams are in and whether divisional opponents are on the upswing/downswing
Reply/Quote
1.) Greenbay- you have Arron Rodgers
2.) Cleveland- Mayfield with loaded talent
3.)Miami- It's South Beach I mean come on even if the job sucks you're living in Miami
4.)Jets- Sam Darnold will eventually prove himself to be the better QB over Mayfield in time
5.)Tampa- Brees is old and Cam has a bad shoulder plus like Miami you're living on a freaking beach. I am biased because I used to live there and loved it but I think that would be a good job just because of the area alone.
6.) Airizona- number 1 pick plus you already have the # 1 pick in the draft. That's going to = a ton of draft picks for them when they trade it.
7.) Cincinnati- honestly should be #2 on the list if you look at the Roster but then there is Mike Brown who ruins everything.
8.) Denver- John Elway is a complete snake and will turn on you in a second. He has the whole Fanbase wrapped around his Finger because he has brought them three Superbowls. So when it goes awful it's all on you.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Yeah i hate typing this but Cleveland is where you want to be.

Reply/Quote
Denver: No QB - 2 straight losing seasons - Elway is feeling pressure, so any new coach will feel immediate pressure
Miami: Is there anything good to say?
Tampa: Stuck with Winston - been losers for most of the past decade
NY Jets: Bad ownership - NY media - stuck with a young QB who looked lost
Arizona: Stuck with a young QB who looked lost - roster is toast
Green Bay: High expectations thanks to Rodgers - but Rodgers is 35 coming off his worst season - bad roster with little hope of fixing thanks to Rodgers' cap hit
Cleveland: They're the Browns - whoever is hired will be expected to win immediately, now that expectations are raised
Cincy: Bad ownership - o-line and LB's are a mess

My top 3 spots:

1. Cleveland - talented young roster, had by far the best finish to 2018
2. Green Bay - despite the iffy situation with Rodgers, it is considered a prestigious job. And even if Rodgers is aging, it is Aaron Rodgers
3. Cincinnati - You have studs at the skill positions (Green, Boyd, Mixon), a solid QB if you want him, some good pieces on defense, and the best job security in any sport.

I look at Tampa, NY, AZ, Miami and Denver and I'm not seeing a better situation. Of course, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Any head coach would die to get a QB like Rodgers. This is a player that doesn't come along too often. Green Bay could turn it around very quickly and would be the most attractive team to a HC.
Reply/Quote
I think that division belongs to Chicago now. Rodgers is a diva on the back side and imo won't make it to another SB.

Reply/Quote
1. Cleveland - A chance to be the savior, with some great talented pieces that are young.

2. GB - You have one of the greats at the most important position, and the organization runs deep with culture. It's nice to say your the coach at Lambeau.

3. NY Jets - A talented young QB who has shown flashes, and some pieces. QB won't be a guarantee, but you have ballers like Jamal Adams. If you succeed here, media will love you. Again, another "savior" position. Another place with a caring fan base as well.

-- I think things really drop drastically from here. The remaining positions aren't nearly as enticing.

4. Denver - Muddy QB situation, but still have talented pieces on both sides of the ball. And this is still an organization and fan base that cares about winning. Mile High has a great fan base that can get rocking, especially when playing divisional opponents.

5. Arizona - I differ from some here apparently, but I don't think this is a terrible gig. Again, some pieces in place, and a QB who shouldn't be written off yet. He's not the best of the class, but if you want, you can try to build around him. Have guys like David Johnson and Patrick Peterson. This spot, IMO, is BARELY above the last spots.

6. Cincinnati - Young pieces such as Mixon and WJ3. Among the worst ownership in the league, with a terrible track record. Great QB contract that gives you some options. Another savior spot. One of the worst home field advantages in the league, and a pretty pedestrian fan base. Not much excitement here.

7. Miami - Bad QB, not much talent around. Ownership is just as bad. Good weather? Not a riveting fan base either.

8. TB - This one is interesting, because I could also see TB actually being ranked higher at the same time. They do have some talent around the field, and that offense was still flying this year. But they are stuck in a rut as well, and not much care is given to them.

TBH - I see 6-8 as about the same in terms of desirable spots. I'm amazed people here think Cincy is a good deal. If I'm a HC, I'm setting my sights on Cleveland, GB, and NYJ first. I think Denver isn't a bad gig either.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 01:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd put them in these categories:

NEW STARTS
Cleveland
NY Jets
Arizona

IN LIMBO
Green Bay*
Miami
Cincinnati*
Denver*
Tampa Bay

*difficult people calling the shots, here

I would still put a star next to Cleveland.. The owner has been up and down through the years, Dorsey made some nice moves but he also brought in Haley then fired him.... he tends to be power hungry type GM
Reply/Quote
Green Bay is the prime spot i agree but i would put us right behind them with the amount of talent we have on both sides of the ball. Really all we have to do is solidify the O-line and add some playmaking Linebackers.

Cleveland is still Cleveland, don't care about Mayfield.

Denver is a nice spot to land cause of the players on Defense but man that Offense besides Phillips and Sanders is not very good.

The rest would be tough spots to go and turn those teams around.

Guess the Cards have Rosen and some talent.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 04:29 PM)thillan Wrote: 1. Cleveland - A chance to be the savior, with some great talented pieces that are young.

2. GB - You have one of the greats at the most important position, and the organization runs deep with culture. It's nice to say your the coach at Lambeau.

3. NY Jets - A talented young QB who has shown flashes, and some pieces. QB won't be a guarantee, but you have ballers like Jamal Adams. If you succeed here, media will love you. Again, another "savior" position. Another place with a caring fan base as well.

-- I think things really drop drastically from here. The remaining positions aren't nearly as enticing.

4. Denver - Muddy QB situation, but still have talented pieces on both sides of the ball. And this is still an organization and fan base that cares about winning. Mile High has a great fan base that can get rocking, especially when playing divisional opponents.

5. Arizona - I differ from some here apparently, but I don't think this is a terrible gig. Again, some pieces in place, and a QB who shouldn't be written off yet. He's not the best of the class, but if you want, you can try to build around him. Have guys like David Johnson and Patrick Peterson. This spot, IMO, is BARELY above the last spots.

6. Cincinnati - Young pieces such as Mixon and WJ3. Among the worst ownership in the league, with a terrible track record. Great QB contract that gives you some options. Another savior spot. One of the worst home field advantages in the league, and a pretty pedestrian fan base. Not much excitement here.

7. Miami - Bad QB, not much talent around. Ownership is just as bad. Good weather? Not a riveting fan base either.

8. TB - This one is interesting, because I could also see TB actually being ranked higher at the same time. They do have some talent around the field, and that offense was still flying this year. But they are stuck in a rut as well, and not much care is given to them.

TBH - I see 6-8 as about the same in terms of desirable spots. I'm amazed people here think Cincy is a good deal. If I'm a HC, I'm setting my sights on Cleveland, GB, and NYJ first. I think Denver isn't a bad gig either.

Coaching in NY can be horrible, media is rude and , caring fan base not sure about that.. caring also equals yelling screaming nasty fan base..... a few ex coaches have not had fond opinions of coaching in the Big Apple.. Cincy should move up because you will be given a chance to succeed... also have 16 years of Marvin, you can also be a Savior to many fans I am not putting Cleveland #1 because of their history, if you are going to knock Cincy down , you have to knock Cleveland down, Haslam has owned them since 2012 and has made some bad moves during those times.. 

Green Bay
Cleveland
Denver
Cincinnati
NY Jets
Tampa Bay
Miami
Arizona
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:36 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im not sure how you rank Cincinnati ahead of Cleveland... 

Cleveland is set to win the division for years to come. 

Nope, they had a fire sale and got all those 1st and 2nd round players, but soon they are going to have to start paying them on their 2nd contracts. After next year, they will be dumping a lot of talent due to the cap....
Reply/Quote
I really think GB is the only better spot, and that is just because you can coach a legacy team. Elway has a worse rep than MB as far as being able to work with. Cincinnati's roster, with a few adjustments and additions, is ready to win now....
Reply/Quote
People tend to put the ownership as a negative in Cincinnati. I don't think it's truly viewed that way.

Think about:

1. You have plenty of patience to get results. Ownership isn't going to pull the plug after 1-2 seasons.
2. You have plenty of input on personnel.

Now, there are some downsides as far as structure goes, but job security here is lengendary.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 03:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: Any head coach would die to get a QB like Rodgers. This is a player that doesn't come along too often. Green Bay could turn it around very quickly and would be the most attractive team to a HC.

I'm not so sure about that anymore.  It seems like he's part of the problem in Green Bay.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 05:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I really think GB is the only better spot, and that is just because you can coach a legacy team. Elway has a worse rep than MB as far as being able to work with. Cincinnati's roster, with a few adjustments and additions, is ready to win now....

I don't know if John Elway truly has a worse rep than Mike Brown when it comes to being someone who is easy to work with, but I think it is very safe to say that Elway has a far better reputation when it comes to doing whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl. I don't think anyone has ever objectively said that about Brown.

(01-03-2019, 05:06 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: People tend to put the ownership as a negative in Cincinnati.  I don't think it's truly viewed that way.

Think about:

1.  You have plenty of patience to get results.  Ownership isn't going to pull the plug after 1-2 seasons.
2.  You have plenty of input on personnel.  

Now, there are some downsides as far as structure goes, but job security here is lengendary.

There is no guarantee that a new head coach will be the beneficiary of the same patience Marvin Lewis received. The other head coaches Mike Brown hired only worked 4, 3, and 2 full seasons. Yes, Marvin's absurdly long tenure shows it is possible, but he is the outlier since Mike Brown has been the owner.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 03:01 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 1.) Greenbay- you have Arron Rodgers
2.) Cleveland- Mayfield with loaded talent
3.)Miami- It's South Beach I mean come on even if the job sucks you're living in Miami
4.)Jets- Sam Darnold will eventually prove himself to be the better QB over Mayfield in time
5.)Tampa- Brees is old and Cam has a bad shoulder plus like Miami you're living on a freaking beach. I am biased because I used to live there and loved it but I think that would be a good job just because of the area alone.
6.) Airizona- number 1 pick plus you already have the # 1 pick in the draft. That's going to = a ton of draft picks for them when they trade it.
7.) Cincinnati- honestly should be #2 on the list if you look at the Roster but then there is Mike Brown who ruins everything.
8.) Denver- John Elway is a complete snake and will turn on you in a second. He has the whole Fanbase wrapped around his Finger because he has brought them three Superbowls. So when it goes awful it's all on you.
You may be over-valuing how much free time an NFL head coach has to enjoy the beach.

FWIW my take:

Green Bay: You win there, you're a God
Cleveland: Young talent and the fans are happy just to win (for now)
Denver: Bronco Football is their life
Cincinnati: Low expectations and job security
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 05:17 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I don't know if John Elway truly has a worse rep than Mike Brown when it comes to being someone who is easy to work with, but I think it is very safe to say that Elway has a far better reputation when it comes to doing whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl. I don't think anyone has ever objectively said that about Brown.

There is no guarantee that a new head coach will be the beneficiary of the same patience Marvin Lewis received. The other head coaches Mike Brown hired only worked 4, 3, and 2 full seasons. Yes, Marvin's absurdly long tenure shows it is possible, but he is the outlier since Mike Brown has been the owner.

How many 1 year coaches would have loved to have had 4, 3 or even a 2 year season instead of being fired after 1....
Reply/Quote