Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Rate Bengals Draft
Overall: A- (Of course come back in 3 years because this is only on paper)

Round 1, Pick #1 - Joe Burrow QB LSU Tigers: A+
This comes down to sucking the right year when there’s a #1 overall QB worthy of the pick. Anyone can bust, but no one can fault us for taking Burrow with the first pick. It was either take Burrow or trade down.

Round 2, Pick #33 - Tee Higgins WR Clemson Tigers: A
First round talent falling to the second in a deep draft. I wish he had some more speed but he’s one of those big guys that can catch anything. He was also one of my favorites in this class so getting him at #33 was awesome. I was also in the LB/OL club for #33, but the 2 guys everyone wanted were still there later. One the LB class seemed weak and 2 the best offensive linemen were taken on a heavy run before we picked. So I do think this is a good case of BPA with a bit of need.

Round 3, Pick #65 - Logan Wilson LB Wyoming Cowboys: B+
I didn’t know too much of this guy, but I read a lot on him since the pick. 4 year starter, team captain, solid against the run and pass (former CB in HS). A lot of intangibles our LB corps could really use. My biggest knock researching him is limited athleticism.

Round 4, Pick #107 - Akeem Davis-Gaither LB Appalachian State Mountaineers B+
Needed to get a good OLB and I like what I see out of ADG. App State has been an up and coming program since they’ve moved up a division and he was a leader on some dang good mountaineer teams. I’m hoping he’ll add some more pressure in the pass rush.

Round 5, Pick #147 - Khalid Kareem LB Notre Dame Fighting Irish: C
He’s a fine depth player (yes we definitely need depth all over this team) but I would have like to have seen a lineman here even though that player probably wouldn’t make much of an impact this year. A meh pick for me I don’t hate it or love it.

Round 6, Pick #180 - Hakeem Adeniji OL Kansas Jayhawks: C-
I really wanted Prince Tega here. I’m sure he fell for a reason, but he seemed to have a high ceiling and this late why not pull the trigger. Oh well we will see what happens over time.

Round 7, Pick #215 - LB Markus Bailey LB Purdue Boilermakers: A
Actually a very solid choice in the 7th. Promising talent that was derailed by a big injury. A lot of guys late don’t stick, but if he can overcome that injury and be as good a prospect as people thought before the injury this is a major steal late.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 10:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Letter grades before anyone plays a down are a little silly, but based on the perceived value of each pick, and where they were drafted, I will give it an B+. Only one pick raised my eyebrows and it was only after some information came out. At the very least, I see three first-year starters that will be impact players with a lot of quality depth.

Burrow- A+

Higgins- A: I wanted the more explosive guy in Mims or Claypool, but I love that Higgins grew up a Bengal Fan and AJ Green is his favorite player. Plus, he's only 21.

Wilson- A+: Excellent value, a true 3 down LB. Instinctive, film and gym rat, and leader. I loved where it said how he was all business at the Senior Bowl and he would get on teammates that weren't taking things serious at Wyoming.

ADG: D-: I loved what I saw on film and his play at the Senior Bowl week, but could a lack of vetting on his medicals cost them a valuable selection? I understand the fracture in his foot can be repaired, but the "bone on bone" comment about his knee has me scared to death. If his medicals check out, he would be a steal with the first pick in Rd 4. Some places had him ranked above Wilson. But those medicals are a huge risk.

Khalid Kareem: B-; I like the captain/high character traits, but it seemed to me that you go for athletic freaks later that can be coached up. I wonder with a father as a coach and being at an institution like ND with their coaching staff, strength training, diet, etc. if he is a maxed out talent. I understand that he fell because of injury his senior season, and based on his junior year he could have been a Rd 3-4 selection. I get the buy-low mentality here, but at the very top of Rd 5, there were still a lot of crazy athletes on the board. I am assuming his high football IQ and ability to shed is what the Bengals see as a DE and NASCAR package guy where they line up all DEs and just try to shoot gaps to get the QB.

Hakeem Adeniji: A-; Big, strong man with position versatility. A little raw in his game. I wonder if they will train him almost exclusively as a RG, or will they use his versatility to back up both RG and RT, possibly allowing them to release Hart and start Johnson at RT.

Markus Bailey: A+; I know...you are probably saying: You killed ADG for his medicals and here you love a guy with two knee injuries in college. Understood, but this is where you take those risks. This guy was CRAZY productive at Purdue outside of injuries. Even after his first ACL injury, he came back and was productive after his first one in 2015. How productive? Coming off ACL surgery, the next season (his redshirt freshman year), the guy had 97 tackles and 4 INTs. Wow. I know the Patriots were snooping around this guy a lot leading up to the draft and they seem to know a thing or two about LBs. Could be the so-called "steal of the draft".

When asked about any medical concerns with ADG:

“We trust our doctors. We did our due diligence on that. If we felt there was an issue, we wouldn’t have taken him. We feel good about it.”~ Lou Anarumo

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When asked about any medical concerns with ADG:

“We trust our doctors. We did our due diligence on that. If we felt there was an issue, we wouldn’t have taken him. We feel good about it.”~ Lou Anarumo

That's a curious quote as I didn't think their doctors were able to examine him?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: These letter grade things are silly at best AS IF they're all still in 4th grade and if a team gets an F their daddy's will give them all a spanking when he gets home from work..the Bengals never even got a stern talking to over the years

Laveranues Coles disagrees...

https://youtu.be/knXuiqdvZ4E

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So Wilson was a bit of reach, but the value of ADG made up for it.

I know your critique is based off 1 source PFF). But Kiper immediately said we will look back in 5 years and Wilson will be the steal of the 2020 draft, his words not mine. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Laveranues Coles disagrees...

HIs face!  Hahahaha, looked a lot like Bip Roberts in the Red's clubhouse after Sweet Lou put Rob Dibble in a headlock and gave him a nuggie.  
Reply/Quote

I also love Dennis Roland in the background:  "Hey coach, I'm eligible" 
Reply/Quote
My grade is A+ as I think Burrow has shot at minimum being franchise perennial all pro QB and shot at being in HOF. The rest of the draft starting with Higgins is just gravy on top. I hope and pray we now sign AJ to a 3 year contract around the 45 million range with 28 million guaranteed.

That would help our cap a lot as we can spread 2020 cap of 18 million into 2021 and 2022 giving us cap room to keep Dalton to compete with Burrow in year one. The same as Kitna did with Palmer.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

So does the defense..... (this is my 2nd favorite Bengals soundbite, right after Sam's "You don't live in Cleveland"

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That's a curious quote as I didn't think their doctors were able to examine him?

I believe ADG was at the senior bowl and Lou is referencing then.
Reply/Quote
Bengals killed this draft. I c everyone in this draft making the team and competing for a job
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I believe ADG was at the senior bowl and Lou is referencing then.

I get that, but I don't think they were allowed to medically examine the players, just coach them.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That's a curious quote as I didn't think their doctors were able to examine him?

Lou was talking about the full medical checks Akeem Davis-Gaither went through at the combine. If his knee was in that bad of a shape every team in the league would have been notified (and likely would have leaked to the public).

The Knee thing was a false tweet by some random fan.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Good draft. A-

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So Wilson was a bit of reach, but the value of ADG made up for it.

By far and away in Zac's post pick press conferences, he was most excited to get Logan Wilson.  Not to say he wasn't happy with the overall draft but he was almost giddy (as much as he gets giddy) when talking about Wilson.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'd say a solid A. I think almost every pick was perfect for our team needs. I went through and watched as much game tape as I could on everyone. I really liked what I saw. That Burrow kid is decent too.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know your critique is based off 1 source PFF). But Kiper immediately said we will look back in 5 years and Wilson will be the steal of the 2020 draft, his words not mine. 

Yes, it was PFF’s opinion, not mine. I like the Wilson pick.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So does the defense..... (this is my 2nd favorite Bengals soundbite, right after Sam's "You don't live in Cleveland"

Haha best get your mind right, Luke.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Lou was talking about the full medical checks Akeem Davis-Gaither went through at the combine. If his knee was in that bad of a shape every team in the league would have been notified (and likely would have leaked to the public).

The Knee thing was a false tweet by some random fan.

The report about his knee being bone on bone somewhat surprised me because I never saw an injury in his write ups that would correlate to that kind of condition.  It's possible that this was a smokescreen put up by some team looking for him to drop.  The Bengals could also be looking at it from a standpoint that they got their franchise QB in Round 1 and they just aren't going to be able to resign everyone in this draft class even if they wanted to.  If they get 4 good years out of ADG and let him walk, that's a W.  Former Maryland LB Erin Henderson was projected as a 3rd rounder and went undrafted with a similar condition and he lasted 8 years before calling it quits.  
Reply/Quote
I don’t like it as much as most on here do. Where is the OL help? We take a franchise QB and don’t even attempt to protect him, makes no sense. I give this draft a passing grade just because we got Burrow , very happy with the 1st selection. I just hate having Hart protecting Burrow , he’s so bad I can’t even half way understand why he’s still even on the team. I hope Burrow doesn’t get hurt badly his first year. Kinda wanting AD to stick around and start next year so Joe don’t get that beat I g that coming to him. 

Burrow - He’s the real deal , He makes this draft a success. Luckily they had the 1st pick Grade A+ 

Higgins- Went to soon on the Wr and didn’t get the best one on the board. Would’ve loved Mims or Jones here Grade C 
Wilson- Don’t like this pick, slow white guys aren’t usually great LBs. Jones and Mims both still on the board too Grade D 
ADG- Great pick! 
Kareem- Where is the OL help? D
Kansas OT - OL help YAY A+ 
Markus Bailey- love this pick too , he’s can be really good if he’s healthy. B+ 

Draft could’ve been so much better if they would’ve done this 
2nd -Jones 
3rd- Mims 
4th- ADG 
Reply/Quote