Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Rate Bengals Draft
(04-25-2020, 09:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:

So Wilson was a bit of reach, but the value of ADG made up for it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:

So they just didn't like the Wilson pick who was supposedly going to be a 2nd round pick before the Draft started eh?

I will more than take it. Smirk
Reply/Quote
I'll give the draft a B+ (a very strong B+ at that).

They went and filled most of the spots I wanted them to fill, not always in the rounds I wanted them to fill it, but every pick made sense to me.

The one pick they made that I didn't consider a massive need, was Higgins in the 2nd. That being said when I went to sleep Thursday Higgins was who I wanted them to take if it was a WR. And of all their draft picks, I'm the happiest about getting Higgins. It's refreshing to see a guy get drafted and be genuinely happy to be a Bengal, not the rehearsed generic platitudes, genuine enthusiasm So that's an unexpected positive.
Reply/Quote
Wish there was some OL in there, but not like they drafted a punter or someone straight off of the surgery table, so I'd say it was pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So Wilson was a bit of reach, but the value of ADG made up for it.

Wilson was a reach according to PFF. Not that they're the pinnacle, but ESPN and NFL.com both had him as a 2nd rounder and I've yet to see anyone really criticize that pick as being a reach. 

Again, not overly fond of ESPN overall, but an ESPN+ article lists Wilson as one of the best value/steals in the draft:

Quote:"Selected: Round 3, No. 65 overall, out of Wyoming

Wilson has the traits of a second-round linebacker. He has three-down ability, second-level speed and coverage skills that will translate to the pro game. And Wilson should create an impact as a core special teams player, as well. This was a really smart pick for a Bengals team that simply had to upgrade the linebacker position."

Source: https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/29093677/2020-nfl-draft-best-picks-round-steals-impact-players-matt-bowen-picks-favorites
Reply/Quote
QB Burrow: A+
WR Tee Higgins A+
LB Logan Wilson A+
LB Akeem Davis-Gaither A+
DE Khalid Kareem: B (Alton Robinson went the next pick; so, I'll be tracking their careers)
G Hakeem Adeniji: B (It's an Offensive Lineman) Enuff said...
LB Markus Bailey: A (If Daniel Jeremiah says he could be the steal of the draft in the 7th Round, we must've done something right)

Overall: They get an A+ just because of their first 4 picks who will all be starters on Day 1. And, because they of course drafted Joe Burrow. The rest is icing on the cake!

New Dey!! Let's Go!
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:19 PM)Ravage Wrote: Wilson was a reach according to PFF. Not that they're the pinnacle, but ESPN and NFL.com both had him as a 2nd rounder and I've yet to see anyone really criticize that pick as being a reach. 

Again, not overly fond of ESPN overall, but an ESPN+ article lists Wilson as one of the best value/steals in the draft:

Source: https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/29093677/2020-nfl-draft-best-picks-round-steals-impact-players-matt-bowen-picks-favorites

I take no stock in ESPN at all but NFL.com I do a bit. One thing I think about Logan Wilson is it will take some time with him 
adjusting coming from U-Dub, such a small school to the NFL but I do believe Wilson has great upside. He is a good tackler and
can cover being a former DB and all and has great hands. He says Kuechly is who he strives to be like.

Honestly reminds me of Kuechly a bit in the way he tackles and covers but it will take time coming from such a small school.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 08:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think it's as simple as they were sticking to their board. I think all 3 were BPA picks and when you're rebuilding an entire position group it makes sense to get as many players in that room as possible. 

With the 3 LBs we picked today that gives us 7 total. Which is pretty good to head into camp with. We do need depth. Btw, I agree with you about them sticking to their board.
Reply/Quote
I really didn't like any of the OL who were left after the 1st except for Ezra Cleveland, Cushenberry, and Niang. Couldn't pass on Tee and they had their chances on the other guys and passed. I don't know if any of those guys are beating out the guys we got either, doubtful. I think next year 1st and 2nd round we will go OL. We've put ourselves in good position to add starters to it next year and not have to worry about other positions. I'm happy with the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I take no stock in ESPN at all but NFL.com I do a bit. One thing I think about Logan Wilson is it will take some time with him 
adjusting coming from U-Dub, such a small school to the NFL but I do believe Wilson has great upside. He is a good tackler and
can cover being a former DB and all and has great hands. He says Kuechly is who he strives to be like.

Honestly reminds me of Kuechly a bit in the way he tackles and covers but it will take time coming from such a small school.

He was Daniel Jeremiah's favorite player in the draft. I take a lot of stock in what he says.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:25 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: He was Daniel Jeremiah's favorite player in the draft. I take a lot of stock in what he says.

That is saying something. Wilson is very smart and instinctive to go along with his other traits which makes him special.

I am not a Wyoming homer on this one lol

Dude is seriously a really good player, he is no Vigil.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I take no stock in ESPN at all but NFL.com I do a bit. One thing I think about Logan Wilson is it will take some time with him 

Yeah. I'm really looking forward to having a LB whose specialty should be coverage and ball skills since he's a former WR (HS) & DB. On top of that he's a tackling machine, so win-win. Hopefully the transition goes quickly, but if nothing else the coverage, ball, and tackling skills should give him a huge leg up early on with a LB group that desperately needs all three of those skills out of their LB's.

As for NFL.com's coverage of rounds 2 & 3 they gave us an A:

Quote:I was glad to see that a disappointing pro-day workout didn't cause Higgins to fall too far. His strong hands and body control give him a real shot to be a strong downfield playmaker for Joe Burrow. Wilson is an athletic, tough player who can make plays in coverage and against the run. Two solid picks for a team looking to become a contender in the AFC.
Source:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111377/article/2020-nfl-draft-day-2-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams
Reply/Quote
They reset after the first day fairly well. In day two they got Higgins. In day 3 they got ADG. At worst I give them a B plus. Those picks seem competent
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 06:51 PM)kevin Wrote: Because we got the Kansas OT at top of 6, which is like a Pick 5. And because we got 3 Linebackers. and a Notre Dame DE. and Burrow and a WR by pick 33.

I give it an A....We got LB tackling and we did add a blocker to O Line.

Had we not got an O Lineman not as good, But we did get an O Lineman almost a pick 5 at top of 6.

This is an A type draft addressing weak areas and bringing in Burrow plus a WR he has been working out with in off season per ESPN

An A to Bengals draft. Players added to get back to winning.

A+ because of Burrow. The rest we shall see, call it incomplete.
From a need angle, the Bengals kept working on the defense. No position lacks depth and competition.

Bengals got one starter on offense, a possible starter in 2021 and depth in 2021 so they must be broadly satisfied with that unit. Alternatively the offense gets the Zac makeover next year that the defense just got.
Reply/Quote
A

I think we did a great job in this draft in many ways. We addressed need, we didnt reach at all, we drafted high character guys. Burrow is a grand slam pick, and Higgins is great pick to go along with him, but I love what we did at LB. We basically have a new LB core depth and all with Pratt and Bynes. Love this. Goodbye Vigil, Brown, Nickerson, Evans, etc. Time for some real LBs.
Reply/Quote
Draft Grade: C

Akeem, Kareem, Hakeem.  Trying to rhyme poetry with draftee names is just not gonna work. Facepalm
Reply/Quote
All of the first 4 picks will be starting. Remember ZT loves 3 WR sets and how he can actually use them (AJ, Higgins, Boyd). Both ADG and Wilson can start together with Pratt at LB - add Bynes when they align 3-4.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 07:06 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: If burrow pans out it’s an A+, any other contributors is just gravy.

Does anyone else remember who the colts drafted outside if manning?  How about the packers when they drafted Rodgers?

Colts could get away with that because the 4 drafts before Manning they drafted 2 Hall of Famers (Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison), and the 5 drafts after Manning they drafted 4 Hall of Famers/soon-to-be-HoFers (Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis).

Including Manning, that's 7 Hall of Famers in a 10 draft period. If you're racking up a Hall of Famer in 7/10 drafts, it doesn't matter who the other people are. If it was JUST Manning in that period, then it would seriously matter who the other people drafted were. Without those other 6 HoFers, Manning wouldn't be in GOAT territory considering 2 were RB and 2 were WR.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
A -

would have liked some OL help drafted earlier. But like it all other than that

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The biggest thing to me is that I think all of these picks are going to hit (if Bailey doesn't it'll only be due to injury), and they all address areas of need.

Without trading now there was no way we were going to address every need we have. Roster just has too many problems for that. So as much as I like Higgins and ADG I would rather have traded down in those spots, but then again we don't know what was offered, and you don't trade down if it isn't an equitable offer. So I would give this draft an A-.
Reply/Quote