Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Rate Bengals Draft
(04-25-2020, 08:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I never thought about those drafts, but that's a good point.

I think Tee Higgins could also become memorable as an All-Pro that came in with Burrow.

That makes me question the three backers pick even more.  I understand needing four with the switch to the 3-4, but we have ends that can play OLB in the 3-4.  I guess we do need competition and depth, but I just thought we could go elsewhere, especially ignoring offensive line until our 6th pick.  

If we can get Moss as a free agent at TE, I'll feel a little better about this draft, but there's 31 other teams in the league (not every team is looking for a TE, I know).

Overall, I'll give it a B with the possibility for an A+ if Adenji works out because I think we needed to go offensive line earlier, but I think Higgins could become a big name with Burrow and also picking up Moss would push it over the top.  

I think it's as simple as they were sticking to their board. I think all 3 were BPA picks and when you're rebuilding an entire position group it makes sense to get as many players in that room as possible. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 08:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I can't imagine grading a draft that gives you a star at QB, WR and completely rebuilds a decrepit linebacker Corp as anything less than an A.

If they all bust, then the grade goes down but you could say that about literally any draft class.

Pretty wild out of all the Linebackers they picked two of them were the tops on our boards in the 3rd and 4th CJD.

Kind of blows my mind man. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 07:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I can understand this and I am a major Wilson backer.

I just don't think there was any way of knowing both ADG and Bailey would fall as far as they did so good going Duke and Zac.

Still think there is something going on in a trade of some sort for Gabe Jackson and most likely bringing in Jason Peters for OL.

Hindsight is always 20/20, so it's easy for me to woulda, shoulda the pick in retrospect. In fairness, Lucas Niang almost made it to us in 4. I've seen some project AGD in a Star S/LB hybrid role, so maybe that will help get him on the field some as a package player.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 08:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think it's as simple as they were sticking to their board. I think all 3 were BPA picks and when you're rebuilding an entire position group it makes sense to get as many players in that room as possible. 

This, and you don't reach for another Lineman just cause the guy you were looking at in Biadasz was just took right in front of you.
Reply/Quote
9.483/10
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 08:14 PM)Whatever Wrote: Hindsight is always 20/20, so it's easy for me to woulda, shoulda the pick in retrospect. In fairness, Lucas Niang almost made it to us in 4. I've seen some project AGD in a Star S/LB hybrid role, so maybe that will help get him on the field some as a package player.  

True and yes have seen the same thing, I could see Shawn and Dalton's salary opening up some options for us.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 07:22 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Was hoping for another TE....I think Randy Moss's Kid, Thadeus didnt get drafted?? Burrow may lobby to sign him as FA.   

If Burrow wants him, I think all parties would agree to it.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 08:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This, and you don't reach for another Lineman just cause the guy you were looking at in Biadasz was just took right in front of you.

that was a bit of a gut punch and it led to, literally, the only pick that wasn't universally praised. But even Kareem was a good pick that makes sense and will serve an important role on this team. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 08:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: that was a bit of a gut punch and it led to, literally, the only pick that wasn't universally praised. But even Kareem was a good pick that makes sense and will serve an important role on this team. 

I thought it shown a lot of composure not panicking and reaching for a Guard/OT right there.
Reply/Quote
A+
1.) They got the best player in the Draft in Joe Burrow, at the biggest position of need, and who fits the offense perfectly. That alone gives the Bengals at least a B.
2.) All three LBers they drafted fit perfectly for what they need. All can cover and play the run
3.) They drafted a WR who again fits what they want to do and can grow with Joe.

If I had to hate on one thing it would be lack of a pure speed edge but other than that it was near perfect. I'm going with a 97 out of 100. So A+.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
There are several people on here that grade the draft an A every year. I’ve given low grades in the past but this feels more like a solid B+ at the worst. There should be at least 3 long term starters in this group. It’s the best draft they’ve had in awhile. Having the first pick every round is awesome but let’s hope it’s another 15 years before they have to do that again.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 07:22 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Bengal's coaches had bird's eye view of Jones at the Senior Bowl and must have saw something they did not like.  That is my only guess.  Plus, PA said Bengals should have taken him... so there is that...

I don't know that they necessarily didn't like Jones.  I think they were just very high on Logan Wilson.  Taylor said in his interview that he was a guy they targeted going into Day 2, that somehow, some way they had to get him, and they were sweating it out as he fell.    It really seemed like he was a possibility at 33.  Zac said there was zero discussion when he made it to 65.  It was just how fast they could get the pick in.  
Reply/Quote
A+ for the first 4 rounds. I'm not counting the rest. They chose the pass/fail option, and I was going to give them all incompletes anyway/
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
First off, hats off to the entire scouting staff. They had a really good board and they stuck with it throughout the process and they came away with no reaches and finding good value in each round.

Zac Taylor still hammering down his culture change with high character players as most of the picks were captains of there teams.

I have never seen a team try to completely change a side of the ball almost overnight like Zac and Lou have and completely overhaul 1 position group, probably only going to see Pratt as the one familiar face next year.

I really feel like we came away with 3 starters and 3 rotation players making high impact. Hakeem needs some time to develop into a guard but the talent is there.

I really wished we went in a different direction in round 5 and selected a guard like Simpson, but when you really need to stop the run, and you want a dude that can set the edge, Khalid Kareem can and will do that.

ONLY ONE pick was sexy this year and that was Tee Higgins. Literally every other pick was need or a building blocks for the defense.

Not rating anything. I want to see this defense stop Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
A-

Burrow, Higgins, and Adeniji were slam dunk A+ picks imo.  Davis-Gaither and Bailey were well worth the shots at those spots with their potential upside.  I feel that Wilson's ceiling might be lower than some want to admit, but I'd like to think that he has a decently high floor.  The only pick that I wasn't really a big fan of was Kareem in the 5th*.  He seems to fit the mold of similar DEs that they've been drafting forever who haven't worked out - kind of stiff and not a lot of production.  Maybe they see him as more of an IDL like Andrew Brown.  All in all this looks like a great haul of players.  
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 08:40 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: A-

Burrow, Higgins, and Adeniji were slam dunk A+ picks imo.  Davis-Gaither and Bailey were well worth the shots at those spots with their potential upside.  I feel that Wilson's ceiling might be lower than some want to admit, but I'd like to think that he has a decently high floor.  The only pick that I wasn't really a big fan of was Khareem in the 4th.  He's seems to fit the mold of similar DEs that they've been drafting forever who haven't worked out - kind of stiff and not a lot of production.  Maybe they see him as more of an IDL like Andrew Brown.  All in all this looks like a great haul of players.  

He was in the 5th.

Reply/Quote
I'd give it an A. I thought they did a good job of pretty much sticking to BPA.

The first two picks were obviously BPA. Burrow is obviously the best player in the draft. Higgins was a first round talent that luckily fell to us. Our WR group is set for a long time. We got a franchise QB for the next 10+ years. We drafted 6 team captains throughout the draft.

I like the value we got with our linebacker picks. Guys that can cover, play the run, tackle. I like picking up a G/T in the 6th round.

The only complaint is really that we didn't add more offensive line help other than the one 6th round pick. It would have been nice to see a Dalton trade too, but obviously he has zero value and nobody wants him.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 08:33 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: First off, hats off to the entire scouting staff. They had a really good board and they stuck with it throughout the process and they came away with no reaches and finding good value in each round.

Zac Taylor still hammering down his culture change with high character players as most of the picks were captains of there teams.

I have never seen a team try to completely change a side of the ball almost overnight like Zac and Lou have and completely overhaul 1 position group, probably only going to see Pratt as the one familiar face next year.

I really feel like we came away with 3 starters and 3 rotation players making high impact. Hakeem needs some time to develop into a guard but the talent is there.

I really wished we went in a different direction in round 5 and selected a guard like Simpson, but when you really need to stop the run, and you want a dude that can set the edge, Khalid Kareem can and will do that.

ONLY ONE pick was sexy this year and that was Tee Higgins. Literally every other pick was need or a building blocks for the defense.

Not rating anything. I want to see this defense stop Baltimore.

Well said Gdale, just have to say this about Simpson, not a good pass protector and has lots of penalties.

Could be another Redmond for all we know.

I actually like Onwenu better the Guard that the Pats got. Mauler but that doesn't look like the type Turner is after.
Reply/Quote
I give them an A. They got 3 potential starters a D-line rotation guy. Also a few of the picks should really help on special teams.
Reply/Quote
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote