Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Rational perspective on Finley's first start
Not much different from Tom Brady's first start

Brady 13-23, 168 yds, 0 td, 0 int, 79.6 rating
Finley 16-30, 167 yds, 1 td, 1 int, 66.9 rating

Just saying'.

I'll bet there were not many Patriot fans predicting 3 MVPs, and 6 rings for Tom after that first start.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 07:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not much different from Tom Brady's first start

Brady  13-23, 168 yds, 0 td, 0 int, 79.6 rating
Finley  16-30, 167 yds, 1 td, 1 int, 66.9 rating

Just saying'.

I'll bet there were not many Patriot fans predicting 3 MVPs, and 6 rings for Tom after that first start.

Interesting that you describe comparing Finley to Brady as a 'rational perspective'.
Reply/Quote
Are you seriously comparing Finley to Brady? FML... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In all seriousness, and not meaning to cave into the coachspeek cliche's, he did some good things and some bad things. He didn't looked overwhelmed, and that's the biggest takeaway to me. That is encouraging. I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a spot starter, but he looks like a guy that won't lose you many games on his own. Movement in the pocket was good. All in all, a decent first start against a tough defense.

Reply/Quote
He did some good things. We need to let him loose and let him go downfield more. He got his first start out of the way now let's see what he does next week.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 07:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not much different from Tom Brady's first start

Just saying'.

Brady was, and is, a "system" quarterback. New England could have had Snoopy at QB and still achieved some success. The same goes for programs like Pittsburgh (Big Ben) and San Fran (Montana). It is not about the quality of the field general but the quality of the system built to plug in any type of QB for success. Certainly, these guys are well above average but still replaceable drill bits (to coin a Trumpy phrase).

That being said, the Bengals have never had, and probably never will, a program that elevates the QB. They could draft the reincarnation of Johnny Unitas and still be the NFL's worst team.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 08:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: In all seriousness, and not meaning to cave into the coachspeek cliche's, he did some good things and some bad things. He didn't looked overwhelmed, and that's the biggest takeaway to me. That is encouraging. I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a spot starter, but he looks like a guy that won't lose you many games on his own. Movement in the pocket was good. All in all, a decent first start against a tough defense.

Exactly, given the situation that he stepped into?  I thought that he did a fair job.  Just like you, I noticed his movement in the pocket, and his desire to extend the play. (from what little I saw on Redzone channel)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good grief..

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 08:28 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Brady was, and is, a "system" quarterback. New England could have had Snoopy at QB and still achieved some success. The same goes for programs like Pittsburgh (Big Ben) and San Fran (Montana). It is not about the quality of the field general but the quality of the system built to plug in any type of QB for success. Certainly, these guys are well above average but still replaceable drill bits (to coin a Trumpy phrase).

That being said, the Bengals have never had, and probably never will, a program that elevates the QB. They could draft the reincarnation of Johnny Unitas and still be the NFL's worst team.

The system you refer to regarding Montana was developed on the banks of the Ohio when Bill Walsh was OC for Paul Brown to accommodate Virgil Carter. Kenny Anderson ran it all the way to the Super Bowl.

Sam Wyche was an offensive genius.

Recently, however, you are correct. Not much innovation outside of Hue Jackson's creative shifts.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 08:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: The system you refer to regarding Montana was developed on the banks of the Ohio when Bill Walsh was OC for Paul Brown to accommodate Virgil Carter. Kenny Anderson ran it all the way to the Super Bowl.

Sam Wyche was an offensive genius.

Recently, however, you are correct. Not much innovation outside of Hue Jackson's creative shifts.

You are spot on. I often think what would be if Bill Walsh wasn't kicked the curb by the Bengals. Walsh as HC and Wyche as OC in the same program? I can only imagine it in my dreams. If only I owned a time machine.
Reply/Quote
Geez...
I just read and i will go back to just reading this board...
But i need to say
FredToast... Without a doubt..Your Takes on this site may be the most ridiculous and Nonsensical I have ever come across in my young 42 years on Planet Bengal..
Rep points coming your way...
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 08:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: In all seriousness, and not meaning to cave into the coachspeek cliche's, he did some good things and some bad things. He didn't looked overwhelmed, and that's the biggest takeaway to me. That is encouraging. I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a spot starter, but he looks like a guy that won't lose you many games on his own. Movement in the pocket was good. All in all, a decent first start against a tough defense.

(11-11-2019, 08:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, given the situation that he stepped into?  I thought that he did a fair job.  Just like you, I noticed his movement in the pocket, and his desire to extend the play. (from what little I saw on Redzone channel)

I was able to watch most of it. He made some rookie mistakes against a good D but did some good things. His pocket awareness is better than Andy's. Extends plays better.
The team found a run game, so that helped. Definitely deserves a chance against a lesser defense.
Reply/Quote

I want to say that he did pretty well too.

It's hard for me to heap praise on him though when we lose by 36.

I think ultimately he just doesn't have a strong arm. There was that 1 play where Tate was wide open deep and Finley threw it 10 yards out of bounds. Good QB's make that throw.
Reply/Quote
Finley: 53.3% completion, 167 yards (5.6 AVG), 1 TD/1 INT, 66.9 QB Rating
5 rushes/22 yards (4.4 AVG), 1 Fum/1 FumL

Driskel: 58.7% completion, 269 yards (5.8 AVG), 1 TD/1 INT, 73.6 QB Rating
5 rushes/37 yards (7.4 AVG), 0 Fum/0 FumL

One guy got cut from this team for not being good and is going to be a career backup at best... the other one is being compared to Tom Brady in the OP.

Drink that orange koolaid right down.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Just saying'.

Ah, when Brady got his first start, his team went 11-3 with him as the starting QB, they won the Super Bowl and Tom Brady made the Pro Bowl.

Somehow I just don't see that coming from Finley. Maybe I'm missing something.

Reply/Quote
I thought Finley played a pretty good game. If comparing to Dalton I’d say he Escaped about 3-4 pressures that likely would have been sacks. Had an int and another that shoulda been picked. Didn’t have any batted passes that I remember and lately dalton seems to have 5 a game. I do think dalton would have been able to hold on to the fumble as he has impressed me the last season or so with being able to hold onto some when getting hit in the pocket.

Don’t know that he’s the answer but you never do after one game, which I think is kind of what Fred was getting at when comparing to Brady. Not necessarily saying Finley=Brady.
Reply/Quote
Ugh.
Reply/Quote
While his comparison to Tom Brady's stat line from his first start has no bearing on Finley's future success, I do think Finley did a few good things in his first start.

Nothing he did was exceptional or particularly unique, but he has pocket mobility that Dalton has long since lost. He seems to keep his eyes downfield and isn't shaken by the pass rush as much as Dalton or even as much as a rookie would.

He is fairly accurate with his passes in the mid range and his fade pass is absolutely beautiful.

I think he'll be a good back up for Joe Burrow in 2021.
Reply/Quote
Points scored on offense = 13
Points scored by Ravens D = 14

Bengals' net offense points total = -1

Sure, it's his first start but come on....NEGATIVE POINTS in a game that was 95% garbage time.
Reply/Quote
Not only were passing stats in 2001 absurdly different from nowadays, but the guy scored negative points with his turnovers.  He's a noodle arm who hasn't the faintest of chances of being a winning starting QB in this league.  
Reply/Quote