Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raven Revival? Not This Year.
I see a lot of talk about how the Ravens will be coming back strong, and last year was derailed due to injuries.

The Ravens have plenty of other issues other than just injuries. Their defense, I'll give them credit, has been fairly decent.

Offense is another story though. Does anyone really think Forsett can really be good without Kubiak? He has never done really much of anything without Kubiak, and I don't see him having another all star season at his age, especially coming of the injury.

Then you have the WR position. One guy has never touched the field, the other guy failed his physical and the 3rd guy is ancient and coming off injury as well. Also, what happened to the TE's? They drafted two but.. not much came of them yet.

On top of all that you have Flacco, leeching the franchises money, coming off an ACL injury, and we know he can't carry on offense by himself.

Oh, and Osemele headed off to Oakland, and he was the most feared lineman.

Will the Ravens do better than last year? Sure, but is it enough? No. I think a 7 win season is in order.

The Ravens have a ways to go before becoming a contender in the AFCN again. That's not to say they won't be a pain for Cinci and Pitt, but they just aren't ready to make noise yet.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2016, 01:20 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I see a lot of talk about how the Ravens will be coming back strong, and last year was derailed due to injuries.

The Ravens have plenty of other issues other than just injuries. Their defense, I'll give them credit, has been fairly decent.

Offense is another story though. Does anyone really think Forsett can really be good without Kubiak? He has never done really much of anything without Kubiak, and I don't see him having another all star season at his age, especially coming of the injury.

Then you have the WR position. One guy has never touched the field, the other guy failed his physical and the 3rd guy is ancient and coming off injury as well. Also, what happened to the TE's? They drafted two but.. not much came of them yet.

On top of all that you have Flacco, leeching the franchises money, coming off an ACL injury, and we know he can't carry on offense by himself.

Will the Ravens do better than last year? Sure, but is it enough? No. I think a 7 win season is in order.

The Ravens have a ways to go before becoming a contender in the AFCN again. That's not to say they won't be a pain for Cinci and Pitt, but they just aren't ready to make noise yet.

Forsett was with Kubiak twice. Once he ran the ball less than 4 times a game and the other he had a surprise career season. I expect it to be more of a committee at RB, but who knows what Buck Allen will do. 

The Ravens have never had stellar wide receivers. They always have some #2 pretending to be a #1 and an older player who came to Baltimore to retire. Wallace failing the conditioning test once isn't a big deal.

Flacco once carried the team by himself throughout the playoffs. It would be nice to see the team give him an Antonio Brown or AJ Green, but that's not a luxury he has ever been afforded. He gets guys in their 30's. Somehow he has been the best playoff QB since entering the league, though. I'll wait and see how he does coming off that injury.

TE is a pretty big unknown. Can Pitta play? What will 36 year old Watson do coming off a career season? Will Crockett Gillmore be used more in the passing game?

Losing Osemele sucks, but he wasn't going to make $11m a year here, especially after the Eugene Monroe bust. PFF gives them a 13th out of 32 coming into the season, mainly because Stanley is a rookie and they think rookies do not do well as tackles. We'll see how he does.

Good coaching can go a long way. It could be another 5 win season, it could be an 11 win season.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 02:20 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Flacco once carried the team by himself throughout the playoffs.
Stop it with the revisionist history, Patrick. 
Boldin put Flacco on his shoulders, with an assist from Pitta and a HUGE assist from some dummy safety in Denver. 
It was certainly not Flacco. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 06:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Stop it with the revisionist history, Patrick. 
Boldin put Flacco on his shoulders, with an assist from Pitta and a HUGE assist from some dummy safety in Denver. 
It was certainly not Flacco. 

Sorry, I forgot that they were the ones who set post season records at their position, not Flacco. 

Thanks.

Reply/Quote
It's going to be a rough season for the Ravens. Hue has seen them and even though the Browns don't have a lot shored up, he's going to throw something unexpected at the Ravens at least once. The Bengals and Steelers are set for good seasons. Both those teams could sweep the Ravens and the Browns should at least split.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 07:07 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Sorry, I forgot that they were the ones who set post season records at their position, not Flacco. 

Thanks.

He can't throw the ball and then catch it all by himself. It was everyone else. 

You're welcome.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2016, 12:25 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He can't throw the ball and then catch it all by himself. It was everyone else. 

You're welcome.

I can use that same argument for every receiver. 

The difference is one player set playoff records, the others didn't...

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 02:20 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Forsett was with Kubiak twice. Once he ran the ball less than 4 times a game and the other he had a surprise career season. I expect it to be more of a committee at RB, but who knows what Buck Allen will do. 

The Ravens have never had stellar wide receivers. They always have some #2 pretending to be a #1 and an older player who came to Baltimore to retire. Wallace failing the conditioning test once isn't a big deal.

Flacco once carried the team by himself throughout the playoffs. It would be nice to see the team give him an Antonio Brown or AJ Green, but that's not a luxury he has ever been afforded. He gets guys in their 30's. Somehow he has been the best playoff QB since entering the league, though. I'll wait and see how he does coming off that injury.

TE is a pretty big unknown. Can Pitta play? What will 36 year old Watson do coming off a career season? Will Crockett Gillmore be used more in the passing game?

Losing Osemele sucks, but he wasn't going to make $11m a year here, especially after the Eugene Monroe bust. PFF gives them a 13th out of 32 coming into the season, mainly because Stanley is a rookie and they think rookies do not do well as tackles. We'll see how he does.

Good coaching can go a long way. It could be another 5 win season, it could be an 11 win season.

Anquan Boldin was one of the best receivers in the league and Derreck Mason wasn't bad either. ( Idk if Mason was on the team during the playoff run but Flacco has played with him.)
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2016, 01:51 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Anquan Boldin was one of the best receivers in the league and Derreck Mason wasn't bad either. ( Idk if Mason was on the team during the playoff run but Flacco has played with him.)

Boldin was one of the top 10 best receivers in 2005 and 2006... with Arizona. He was 30-32 when he played with Flacco.

Mason hit top 5 once in 2003... with Tennessee. He was 34-36 when he played with Flacco. 

Like I said, "He gets guys in their 30's". Those guys had limited success 5 seasons prior to ever playing with Flacco.

Smith was a top 10 receiver in 2005 (#1), 2006, 2008 (#3), 2009, and 2011... with Carolina. Now he's playing with Flacco at the age of 35-37. It's the frustration of being a Ravens fan. They cannot draft a WR and go for guys in their 30's who were once good. I would love to see an AJ Green or Antonio Brown type guy with Flacco's arm. 

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2016, 04:23 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote:  I would love to see an AJ Green or Antonio Brown type guy with Flacco's arm. 

Why would you want to ruin their production like that?

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2016, 05:08 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Why would you want to ruin their production like that?

I want to see them win playoff games. I'm sure Green would love to experience that.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2016, 05:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I want to see them win playoff games. I'm sure Green would love to experience that.

Let me know when 4 win seasons afford that opportunity.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2016, 06:01 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Let me know when 4 win seasons afford that opportunity.

5 wins, thanks. You should remember that since it's the same number of playoff losses as Green has. 

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2016, 06:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 5 wins, thanks. You should remember that since it's the same number of playoff losses as Green has. 

Magical season in Baltimore.

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2016, 01:20 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: BI see a lot of talk about how the Ravens will be coming back strong, and last year was derailed due to injuries.

Like Pat said the Ravens will more than likely employ a RB by committee. I'm more concerned with the secondary than the WRs. They were able to put up 4000 yards with a bunch of bench players. If they can protect Flacco they should be okay on O. Anything can happen. Hope they have a good start because last few stretch of games will be brutal.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2016, 06:43 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Magical season in Baltimore.

If seeing your team contend and win it all means a losing season once every 8 years, I'll take it. You would too.

Reply/Quote
One thing that I've learned is that you never count out the Ravens. They'll find a way. They've proven it over time.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 02:16 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: One thing that I've learned is that you never count out the Ravens. They'll find a way. They've proven it over time.

Maybe against Pittsburgh, but against Cincinnati, they have proved to find new and exciting ways to lose  as of late. I mean, not as new and exciting as the bengals found in the wildcard game because that was the newest and most exciting way of all time. But new and exciting nonetheless. 

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2016, 02:16 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: One thing that I've learned is that you never count out the Ravens. They'll find a way. They've proven it over time.

they really came back last year for sure, they folded in so many times in games last year, any true Raven fan would be sick
Reply/Quote