Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raven' Score Before the Half
(09-14-2018, 09:42 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Ravens were out of time outs when they scored. They had all 3 prior to starting the drive. It absolutely could have made a difference.

Could and would are two different things. When you start a drive with 2 TO's vs 3 it completely changes the way they call plays. Simply saying they finished with none and no time doesn't mean anything because they start the drive understanding there situation to manage. 
Reply/Quote
If he calls run plays and short passes, people complain that Marvin is afraid to go for it in the two minute drill.

If he calls pass plays to try and drive down the field and they don't work out (like last night), people complain about giving the opponent another chance.

Before the half play calling is apparently a lose lose.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 07:38 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I was unable to join game day thread for the Raven's game.  But damn, that offense sequence by the Bengals just before the half in which Lazor called 3 straight passing plays nearly gave me an ulcer.  

To be fair, if he played it safe for 3 downs resulting in a punt and TD, you would've still been upset.

I get it. We were playing hot the whole game, one more quick score would've really put the nail in the coffin. I thought it was the right thing. The defense didn't do its job on the other side so it wasn't just those calls.

Even though I wasn't happy with the 3 and out, I loved we kept at them. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 07:38 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Does anyone know if where the Bengals rank in terms of allowing teams to score in the last two minutes of the half under Marvin Lewis?

I dont know where this ranks but I read in an article about last night's game that the Bengals have let a team score in the last 2 minutes of the first half in 12 of their last 18 games. That doesn't seem like a very good stat. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:44 AM)Au165 Wrote: Could and would are two different things. When you start a drive with 2 TO's vs 3 it completely changes the way they call plays. Simply saying they finished with none and no time doesn't mean anything because they start the drive understanding there situation to manage. 

Brother I'm 100% behind being aggressive !! I have zero problem with Marvin going for the throat there.

:andy: :andy: :andy:

I've watched ML try and sit on a lead in the 1st quarter, it doesn't work very often in today's NFL. I want this team to come out swinging, there's no doubt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Miami fans have complained that Lazor's flaw is not knowing when to take his foot off the gas. That said, we sort of seemed to slow down and get more conservative after the half anyways.

Personally I loved the aggressiveness of three straight pass plays. Our defense had been playing well enough that we should have been able to rely on them. And frankly the most the Ravens should have gotten was a field goal but the refs helped them out with that pass interference call that even Mike Pereira agreed should have been a no call if I recall correctly.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:27 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Like most of the others have said I will not fault Marvin for being aggressive there. That's been one of his bigger downfalls IMHO. It didn't work. But they should have ran at least once there to make the Ravens burn a time out.

It's football, it doesn't always work. It's just like surprise fake punts or whatever. If it works the coach is a genius, if it fails he's a moron.

Aggressive is one thing, but knowing the situation and when to be aggressive is another. That was not the time to be aggressive, it was the time to be smart. They had the ball coming out of halftime. Run the ball, make Baltimore burn TOs, punt and make them go 80+ yds in a minute with 0 TO. They maybe get a FG, but probably not a TD and a huge momentum swing. Coming out at half..... Then you be Aggressive and go for the kill shot. A quick TD on the first drive of he half 35-10..... Game Over. Fortunately it worked out, but not a good call burning a series in 14 seconds and letting them score before the half.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:57 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Aggressive is one thing, but knowing the situation and when to be aggressive is another. That was not the time to be aggressive, it was the time to be smart. They had the ball coming out of halftime. Run the ball, make Baltimore burn TOs, punt and make them go 80+ yds in a minute with 0 TO. They maybe get a FG, but probably not a TD and a huge momentum swing. Coming out at half..... Then you be Aggressive and go for the kill shot. A quick TD on the first drive of he half  35-10..... Game Over. Fortunately it worked out, but not a good call burning a series in 14 seconds and letting them score before the half.

I agree, the smarter play there would have been to work the clock. But I won't fault being aggressive from MR. sit on a 1st qtr. lead in seasons past.

We have to be aggressive in today's NFL, have to. If it had worked Marvin would have been a genius !

We can play what if all day. What if we had ran and still ended up punting with 30 seconds left and Flacco threw a bomb to Brown and they still scored ?

Won't ***** about being aggressive, this team has failed way to much in seasons past at putting their foot on a teams throat.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:57 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Miami fans have complained that Lazor's flaw is not knowing when to take his foot off the gas. That said, we sort of seemed to slow down and get more conservative after the half anyways.

That's a staple of Merv's coaching. No matter who the OC is, if we build a big lead, Merv forces the offense to slow down.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote