Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ravens parked 2 safeties EVERY PLAY and dared us to run
I saw somewhere that said the Ravens ran ZERO defensive snaps where both safeties werent deep. I find that very hard to believe but im not about to pay 10$ just to rewatch a game with NFL+ so im going to just ASSUME the real number is at least 75% of the snaps.

If the Bills do this to us, we HAVE to run the ball. As I look at this game's matchups I see no world in which we win with Mixon getting 11 carries for 39 yards. (3.5 YPC). Playing the Ravens twice before I think helped Burrow more than it hurt. Burrow is known to do very well against teams hes seen before. I dont want to say this is why we won, but its a part. We only have 1 quarter of Bills tape and I dont see us jumping them like we did at Paycor again.

Theoretically a team should not be able to park 2 safeties deep for that many plays. Theoretically, you should get them out of that defense after a few decent gains on the ground. But if those gains never come we get what we saw Sunday. Zac and Callahan are pass game aces, but we are gonna need them to be a complete offensive coaches on Sunday. Im talkin jet sweeps, runs from shotgun, HB screens EVERYTHING. We absolutely need the run game to put in 70+ yards this Sunday. We cannot allow the Bills to comfortably sit their 2 safeties back all game. We cant ask Burrow to be the whole offense. Guys gotta step up.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I agree and getting Mixon going with establishing the run would get the line and the entire team fired up by imposing our will.

Unfortunately, I don't think Zac sees that the simplest way to move the ball is the best way to move the ball.

We definitely need to run the ball to control the crowd and the momentum of the game.

I trust Burrow but I'd rather not get into a shootout with Josh Allen in their stadium.

Let's hope that we feed Mixon early and often!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 09:31 PM)Housh Wrote: I saw somewhere that said the Ravens ran ZERO defensive snaps where both safeties werent deep. I find that very hard to believe but im not about to pay 10$ just to rewatch a game with NFL+ so im going to just ASSUME the real number is at least 75% of the snaps.

If the Bills do this to us, we HAVE to run the ball. As I look at this game's matchups I see no world in which we win with Mixon getting 11 carries for 39 yards. (3.5 YPC). Playing the Ravens twice before I think helped Burrow more than it hurt. Burrow is known to do very well against teams hes seen before. I dont want to say this is why we won, but its a part. We only have 1 quarter of Bills tape and I dont see us jumping them like we did at Paycor again.

Theoretically a team should not be able to park 2 safeties deep for that many plays. Theoretically, you should get them out of that defense after a few decent gains on the ground. But if those gains never come we get what we saw Sunday. Zac and Callahan are pass game aces, but we are gonna need them to be a complete offensive coaches on Sunday. Im talkin jet sweeps, runs from shotgun, HB screens EVERYTHING. We absolutely need the run game to put in 70+ yards this Sunday. We cannot allow the Bills to comfortably sit their 2 safeties back all game. We cant ask Burrow to be the whole offense. Guys gotta step up.

I have been watching football for over 40 years and I have a lot of knowledge as a fan but I am not a student of the game by any means so a lot of the technical side of the game goes past me.
 My question is , why cant we get the run game going when it seems like that is what the defense is giving us?
Is it Mixon's fault? Does our line suck at run blocking? It seems to me like the other team knows when and where we are going to run it. Are we telegraphing our plays somehow?
We are a decent line away from having a run like the Cowboys did from 92-95 I believe and I would hate to see this team's one flaw keep us from winning it all.
Reply/Quote
I still believe Perine is the better running back for this team. I know there was talks of Mixon tipping the plays earlier this year.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I kinda laughed at how one of the announcers claimed that the Bengals were establishing the play-action on one "deeper" pass(Chase?).

Clearly on that play the D was looking at Mixon to receive the checkdown pass and froze for a second for it.

Not because of our team running the ball.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The key is simply for our receivers to catch the ball. Had Tee especially done that the game Sunday night is not close.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The fact of the matter is every Bengal on the offense can catch and catch well.... Teeggins, Chase, Boyd, Perine, Mixon, Hurst, Irwin, etc. The key is to get the rock going, no, not Mixon, it will be Perine, also Perine is an excellent blocker. I've waiting all season for Mixon to dominate and he hasn't, we even revamped our line with same result. Is Mixon good? yes he is, is he the guy to pound the ball and get the yardage, no.

If Zac and Callahan dont wanna be 0-2 in the SB, they will need to utilize Perine more to have success with the running game. Mixon can give some rest to Perine.
Reply/Quote
FACT: The Ravens are EXCELLENT at stopping the run.
FACT: The Racens know the Bengals as well as anyone kn the league.

FACT: A lot of the short throws are basically long hand offs. The Bengals didn't hand the ball off, but they killed the Ravens with short passes (long handoffs).

This was basically an old school slug it out game, which the Ravens wanted, and the Bengals did their "run game" with short passes. A MUST with this less than good OLine... and with the most accurate passer in league history.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:23 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I still believe Perine is the better running back for this team. I know there was talks of Mixon tipping the plays earlier this year.

Perine is a great #2, but on no planet is he better than Joe Mixon, even with the rough year that Mixon has had.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Yeah we've gotta run the ball more. Sometimes it's not all about the yards you'll get, but it's about making the defence defend it and account for it.

I feel sometimes this has been an issue for us this year. I do get trusting the offence to Burrow and the pass as it's way more effective than our run game. But the run/pass proportions at times during games have been pretty mad.
Reply/Quote
Perine played 53% of the offensive snaps and only had 2 carries and 1 target.

That makes the offense way too predictable based off which RB is in the game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 09:31 PM)Housh Wrote: I saw somewhere that said the Ravens ran ZERO defensive snaps where both safeties werent deep. I find that very hard to believe but im not about to pay 10$ just to rewatch a game with NFL+ so im going to just ASSUME the real number is at least 75% of the snaps.

But you got to understand the Bengals were down three offensive line starters. When they scored in the first quarter at and then early in the third quarter they did get the run game going a little bit just enough to freeze the linebackers but when you're down multiple starters on the ol it's going to catch up with you and there's such a chemistry involved with these guys that any team in the NFL that loses three stars is going to suffer.

It's really really hard in this league to be good at both running and throwing.The Bengals running game has never been great we certainly got it going a bit more when the offensive line was intact but none of these guys have worked together more than a few plays so I would hope the more reps they get the more NSYNC they can be.

The Bengals do use the short pass as a means in their running game as well.
Reply/Quote
There was one time I could see the D backfield and they went with a single high. Not sure if it was to dupe Burrow to go deep or that was the actual coverage.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: The key is simply for our receivers to catch the ball. Had Tee especially done that the game Sunday night is not close.

Seriously?  Tee had 4 receptions on 6 targets and one of the incompletions was in the end zone when Marcus "king of the assbags" Peters punched him in the facemask so hard his helmet almost popped off.  Tee damn near still caught the ball but that was a shitty play.  
Reply/Quote
until we establish a consistent run game this is the blue print to beat the Bengals. The Offense was buttcheeks all game
I say bring on more Perine and see what he can do.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:53 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The fact of the matter is every Bengal on the offense can catch and catch well.... Teeggins, Chase, Boyd, Perine, Mixon, Hurst, Irwin, etc. The key is to get the rock going, no, not Mixon, it will be Perine, also Perine is an excellent blocker.  I've waiting all season for Mixon to dominate and he hasn't, we even revamped our line with same result.  Is Mixon good? yes he is, is he the guy to pound the ball and get the yardage, no.

If Zac and Callahan dont wanna be 0-2 in the SB, they will need to utilize Perine more to have success with the running game. Mixon can give some rest to Perine.

I agree. I like Mixon but something tells me/shows me he tries to make too many big plays instead of just getting 3-5 yards which is all this offense really needs to stay manageable and to spring big play. Perine is powerful, stays low to the ground, gets lost behind blockers and can get that extra 1-2 yards many times after initial contact.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is the more dynamic runner. Perine more steady and a better blocker. A better OL Mixon much much better. Poor OL they are about equal
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:44 PM)PDub80 Wrote: FACT: The Ravens are EXCELLENT at stopping the run.
FACT: The Racens know the Bengals as well as anyone kn the league.

FACT: A lot of the short throws are basically long hand offs. The Bengals didn't hand the ball off, but they killed the Ravens with short passes (long handoffs).

This was basically an old school slug it out game, which the Ravens wanted, and the Bengals did their "run game" with short passes. A MUST with this less than good OLine... and with the most accurate passer in league history.

Hey everybody!  Here's a post from a guy who actually understands the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:46 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Perine is a great #2, but on no planet is he better than Joe Mixon, even with the rough year that Mixon has had.

I'm not saying he's better in a vacuum. I'm saying Perine is better for this Bengals football team.  Both things can be true.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:23 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I still believe Perine is the better running back for this team.  I know there was talks of Mixon tipping the plays earlier this year.

This narrative has to stop.

Anyone that's watched this season can't possibly still believe this.

Perine has more than proven his value and showed there are certainly times when he needs to be on the field but he is not 'better' than Mixon.

The dude runs hard and is a better blocker but he's not shown that he's better at taking most of the load (I know what I said, stop being gross, lol).

They need to continue to run both backs to get each a break and to put the right back in at the right time.

Mixing both in is the best approach.

I do agree getting the run game going early will be important this weekend and the bills should be easier to run on than the ravens.  The ravens dared us to run on them and we couldn't.  I don't think the bills can stop the runs as easy.
Reply/Quote