Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-visiting the 4 sacks of the week 17 match up with the Chiefs
Starting O-Line 
LT - Williams
LG - Spain - injured on the last offensive snap of the 1st half. Replaced by Carman
C - Hopkins
RG - Adeniji
RT - Prince

KC-Cincy PFF grade thread

sack #1 1st snap of the game on offense Frank Clark easily beats CJ but any young QB not named Joe Burrow, half of the people might've said "You gotta get rid of the ball right there, kid." Burrow pumped and as he moved to his next read he was popped.

sack #2 is a design flaw or Jonah did less on this play than he's supposed to. It was a fake sweep to the right/rollout to the left and Jonah kind of ducked away from contacting Chris Jones and Jones just ran untouched straight into Joe's path blowing up the play before there was any chance for anything to develop. Jonah looked liked he was setting up a cross-field screen and didn't want to be late to his spot. If that was the case, then that's the design flaw. If it was intended for Joe to hit someone downfield and NOT be a screen, then Jonah needs to do more on that play than shy away from a stud DT heading straight for your QB with his back to the play in the middle of selling a play fake. Burn that page of the playbook.

sack #3 made me realize why Jackson Carman probably isn't playing over Adeniji. On the running play before, the Bengals o-line was level across the board in their stances. On this next play that was a sack, Carman is almost a full helmet higher than everyone else and although it took awhile for his man(Reed) to get the sack, he did. So not only is he getting beat, he's also tipping plays in his stances. However, in all fairness in the Adeniji vs Carman debate, on the previous said running play, Jones kept it to a one yard gain by destroying Adeniji.

Before sack #4, Joe had to scramble because Jones went by Carman almost instantly with one hand check move. This was the play that might've been a sack if Joe didn't have a velcro nameplate because Jones ripped it off as he grabbed Joe's jersey.

sack #4 Carman does a double flop on this play. He "attempts" to assist Hopkins on Jones by completely mis-firing on a lunging shove attempt and then leaves Hopkins alone against Jones to go "help" Jonah. Instead of hitting the defender, he kind of runs in between them and hits Jonah's arms harder than he hit the defender just as Jones runs through Burrow. I have a feeling that the o-line in the film room was pretty quiet when this play rolled through.

Add in a false start for Carman and a holding penalty on the goal line in one half of a game. I didn't start this as a character assassination of Carman but he didn't have a good game filling in for Spain, I don't care what PFF says. Those ratings are shocking. He has been moving from LT to RG and this game was at LG so he gets some slack for that but if that is what practice is like for him at RG, I can see why they choose Adeniji over him for now.

The last play where Boyd was fouled in the endzone was also the play that knocked Burrow out for the last two snaps, Burrow was hit by a blitzing DB that beat Jonah. This was twice in 4 weeks where Burrow was injured by a DB that beat Jonah. I keep thinking of recent great LTs Ogden and Thomas and how they would take much joy in burying that DB with gusto so he'd not be so anxious the next time they send him. Watching Jonah playing patty cake with those two DBs, I'm reminded of that Progressive Car Insurance commercial . . . "Remember, it's a football game, not a play date." I haven't given up on him, but it would go a long way in improving this line if he developed a bit more of a mean streak. It doesn't matter if it's a good team or bad team, I just rarely see him dominate anyone.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:01 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Starting O-Line 
LT - Williams
LG - Spain - injured on the last offensive snap of the 1st half. Replaced by Carman
C - Hopkins
RG - Adeniji
RT - Prince

KC-Cincy PFF grade thread

sack #1 1st snap of the game on offense Frank Clark easily beats CJ but any young QB not named Joe Burrow, half of the people might've said "You gotta get rid of the ball right there, kid." Burrow pumped and as he moved to his next read he was popped.

sack #2 is a design flaw or Jonah did less on this play than he's supposed to. It was a fake sweep to the right/rollout to the left and Jonah kind of ducked away from contacting Chris Jones and Jones just ran untouched straight into Joe's path blowing up the play before there was any chance for anything to develop. Jonah looked liked he was setting up a cross-field screen and didn't want to be late to his spot. If that was the case, then that's the design flaw. If it was intended for Joe to hit someone downfield and NOT be a screen, then Jonah needs to do more on that play than shy away from a stud DT heading straight for your QB with his back to the play in the middle of selling a play fake. Burn that page of the playbook.

sack #3 made me realize why Jackson Carman probably isn't playing over Adeniji. On the running play before, the Bengals o-line was level across the board in their stances. On this next play that was a sack, Carman is almost a full helmet higher than everyone else and although it took awhile for his man(Reed) to get the sack, he did. So not only is he getting beat, he's also tipping plays in his stances. However, in all fairness in the Adeniji vs Carman debate, on the previous said running play, Jones kept it to a one yard gain by destroying Adeniji.

Before sack #4, Joe had to scramble because Jones went by Carman almost instantly with one hand check move. This was the play that might've been a sack if Joe didn't have a velcro nameplate because Jones ripped it off as he grabbed Joe's jersey.

sack #4 Carman does a double flop on this play. He "attempts" to assist Hopkins on Jones by completely mis-firing on a lunging shove attempt and then leaves Hopkins alone against Jones to go "help" Jonah. Instead of hitting the defender, he kind of runs in between them and hits Jonah's arms harder than he hit the defender just as Jones runs through Burrow. I have a feeling that the o-line in the film room was pretty quiet when this play rolled through.

Add in a false start for Carman and a holding penalty on the goal line in one half of a game. I didn't start this as a character assassination of Carman but he didn't have a good game filling in for Spain, I don't care what PFF says. Those ratings are shocking. He has been moving from LT to RG and this game was at LG so he gets some slack for that but if that is what practice is like for him at RG, I can see why they choose Adeniji over him for now.

The last play where Boyd was fouled in the endzone was also the play that knocked Burrow out for the last two snaps, Burrow was hit by a blitzing DB that beat Jonah. This was twice in 4 weeks where Burrow was injured by a DB that beat Jonah. I keep thinking of recent great LTs Ogden and Thomas and how they would take much joy in burying that DB with gusto so he'd not be so anxious the next time they send him. Watching Jonah playing patty cake with those two DBs, I'm reminded of that Progressive Car Insurance commercial . . . "Remember, it's a football game, not a play date." I haven't given up on him, but it would go a long way in improving this line if he developed a bit more of a mean streak. It doesn't matter if it's a good team or bad team, I just rarely see him dominate anyone.

Sack #2 is a naked bootleg. It isn’t a design flaw or the fault of Jonah - that is the play. The defender is expected to wash down the line but Jones made a great play. The Bengals have used this exact play several times this season, including in the Jaguars game where they had a huge gain.

You can reference the play vs the Jaguars here, starting at 18 seconds

https://youtu.be/vKTl6DczK9k
Reply/Quote
Soooo, one thing that works against the team that earned the #1 pick should work against the two time defending conference champs in the Conference Championship Game?

OK
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
You need to look at things like how many seconds before contact on a sack. If it 1-2 seconds that is problematic. When it is over 3 (or indeed over 4 like one was) that is not on the OL it is more coverage. This is one reason a lot of the "OL SUCKS!!!!" stuff is irritating - there is no context provided.

So answer the real question,. ON AVERAGE, how long does Burrow get to throw on his drop backs. Burrow has been middle of the pack this season having 2.4 seconds before pressure comes (same as Allen and Mahomes - Jalen Hurts at 2.7 had the most).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:11 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Soooo, one thing that works against the team that earned the #1 pick should work against the two time defending conference champs in the Conference Championship Game?

OK

That wasn’t the point of my post. Your analysis is wrong on that play. I’m correcting you. That’s as deep as it goes.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:20 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: That wasn’t the point of my post. Your analysis is wrong on that play. I’m correcting you. That’s as deep as it goes.
Yep! A naked boot that the defense picks up is very likely going to result in a sack. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:21 AM)Joelist Wrote: Yep! A naked boot that the defense picks up is very likely going to result in a sack. 

Yep, Jones just made a great, heads up play. The play is fast developing, Burrow is just looking to hit Boyd but Burrow couldn’t even turn around.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:21 AM)Joelist Wrote: Yep! A naked boot that the defense picks up is very likely going to result in a sack. 

Especially if the boot is left. No way Burrow can turn his shoulders and throw. If it’s right and someone is open it’s easier to flick something out.
Reply/Quote