Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real reason why Hue left
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25548212/heres-why-hue-jackson-left-the-bengals-to-take-the-browns-job

Has anyone read this?? Marvin wanted to groom Hue for the HC job for the Bengals and give him the keys in two years. Mike Brown couldn't guarantee it because that's too far down the road. So Hue takes his stuff and heads over to the rival to prove a point?? Interesting and disappointing at the same time.
Reply/Quote
Mike is obviously in love with Marvin. He just can't quit him. Tate is involved somewhere in there as well. It's a love triangle.

Reply/Quote
This makes no sense because Jackson becoming Head Coach would have happened and Jackson is a fool for leaving.

We all know how Mike Brown is and we all know Mike Brown wasn't going to agree to anything because it takes leverage away from the organization.

Hue Jackson, in two years time, would be inheriting a Super Bowl caliber team but rather than wait two years for Marvin Lewis to get to the big game or win a ring, he decides he will go to Cleveland and try to build a team?

I guess there's something to building a Championship caliber team from scratch, because that is what's going on in Cleveland, rather than having the team handed to you. Maybe Jackson wants to build his own team so people don't say, "He won only because Marvin Lewis built the team", I don't know. Mike Tomlin gets that criticism and maybe Jackson doesn't want it.

Imagine though, Hue Jackson building a team and taking that team to the Super Bowl and winning in 5 or 6 years. That will make Hue Jackson an automatic HoF Coach right there if Cleveland gives him that time to do it.

I would have rather had Vance Joseph though so maybe in two years, he will be the coach. He'll get some more expierience, I can't remember where he went, and in two years, the Bengals will come knocking.
Reply/Quote
I read (on NFL.com I think) that the plan was in place but didn't happen because mike wouldn't put it in writing. Who knows exactly but I think it was fairly close to happening. This will work out just as well tho because he'll be fired in two years when marvins current deal expires so we win a SB or two then Browns get impatient as always and fire him and we give Hue a real chance as a head coach
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe he just figured a bird in the hand was better. I hate it because i always view Hue as an important part of the modern-day Bengals organization. I hated to see him go the first time, and I didn't love it this time. It's how the business works unfortunately.

I also like the idea of Vance Joseph getting the job when Marvin finally leaves. I know he left, but nothing would stop him from coming here from a procedural standpoint if the Bengals wanted to offer him a HC job with him being a coordinator. I realize that this probably isn't likely, but I always saw him as having a strong chance at being the heir apparent.

I mentioned this once, but Duke Tobin and Vance Joseph were college teammates at Colorado. That and the organization's unwillingness to let him leave last year made it seem possible that he may have been the guy.
Reply/Quote
Hue was offered a HC position versus the prospect of POSSIBLY getting a HC position in 2 years...what's so hard to understand about his decision? I realize the Browns are the absolute pits, but we also have to realize that in their 48 years of existence not a single player, coach, fan, nor peanut vendor has ever missed out on a championship by leaving the Bengals.

For good or ill I see our next HC as being someone who is far more in-house than Hue is. Hue isn't afraid to go elsewhere for an instant promotion, so he doesn't seem to fit the Mike Brown "Loyalty and/or fall in line" mantra. I'm just an outsider, though.
Reply/Quote
Yea that backwards toss run play on the two point conversion attempt in the playoffs made me question Hue's decision making. As well as more pass plays designed for our rookie tackle than our rookie WR or other rookie TE. And a few other things.

We were healthy as hell all year. And our two free agent WRs got paid big time. Dalton would have progressed with or without Hue with the weapons we had. Hue on the other hand couldnt get our run game going because he wanted to have 1000 different run plays.

I like a good coach. But i dont think a coach gets you a super bowl. Its the guys on the field. A shitbag coach can F things up. But hand a decent coach a team with some studs and they can go all the way.

I give Tom Brady a lot more credit than bellicheat. Though he did revolutionize cheating.
Reply/Quote
I heard that they were also trying to work out a succession plan with Zimmer, but that didn't work either. Zimmer had no problem in thinking that a handshake on it with Mike Brown was enough, but he couldn't agree to pass up an opportunity for a head coaching job if it came along. It did and the rest is history.

I don't really think any coach feels he can afford to pass on a head coaching opportunity in the NFL. It's the top of their profession, the money is big, and it's what they've been driving for throughout their careers. Furthermore, they're all extremely competitive guys who want to run their own show.

But for us, it's tough to see two outstanding head coach candidates get away. It's life in the fast lane.
Reply/Quote
He made the right decision.

Reply/Quote
If it's true I can't say I blame either party. A lot can happen right or wrong and there's nothing guaranteed in Cleveland either.
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm ok with Marvin still the HC. Over the past few years he's really turned the ship around despite the playoff record and we all know this team is in great shape for winning. It only takes once to win it all and if that happens under Marvin everyone who has been bad mouthing him all this time will be eating crow. If not then we still will have a great winning record and nothing to be ashamed about.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
NFL rules, I thought you couldn't have it in writing. Either you offer a HC position or you don't. Wasn't that part of the issue in Dallas several years ago?
Reply/Quote
Maybe Mr. Brown did not like those stupid ass trick plays all the time.

Does anybody know what percentage of those actually worked?

The reason hue left is because of money. I don't know the numbers but I bet he is guaranteed to make 4 or 5 MILLION $ more over the next 2 years. That's enough to set yourself and your family up for the rest of your life. I would take that over a handshake and a promise.
Reply/Quote
I remember there was something about MB and family being high on Guenther. Probably a safer pick at HC then Hue. I just hate that Hue went to the Browns. Now I have to hope he fails.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Knowing Mike Brown, don't be surprised if our next coach is Bratkowski. You may giggle, but the fear is real. He would be the perfect guy to dismantle and put our team back into the rebuilding concept the way Brown likes it.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 06:07 AM)Benton Wrote: NFL rules, I thought you couldn't have it in writing. Either you offer a HC position or you don't. Wasn't that part of the issue in Dallas several years ago?

I think you are correct about this.  Otherwise there would be several of those situations laid out around the league.

So, assuming the news that Hue was all but guaranteed the team in two years time, how many of you would pass on a big promotion and pay increase with a new organization now because you feel in two years time the promise that you will be promoted andget the big raise will happen?

Anything can happen in two years, so there is certainly no guarantee of getting the job in the future.
Reply/Quote
Im having a hard time buying into the validity of this.. I mean from what we've seen from Brown in the past is that he's all about promoting coaches from within, and this plan would have fit in perfectly with his philosophy. I know Mike has made some shrewd decisions but passing a plan like this up seems highly unlike him. Its basically Marvin saying that I'll give you two more years down on the field, then move me upstairs in some capacity, and let Hue takeover on the field. Im sure Marvin would have been involved with the team in a operational fashion.

Personally I think Marvin is growing tired of coaching and is looking at his career beyond coaching. He keeps getting extended because he's loyal to the organization and doesn't want to see it some kind of coaching limbo. I would expect this same plan again in some shape or form with Guenther or Zampese in the next two or three years.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hue answered that question in an interview why he left. It was pretty clear:

"I wanted to know what it felt like to win a playoff game"
Reply/Quote
Most of the time those succession plans never work.

You've got to think Hue knew as well as the fans that Marvin is a lifer.

To believe that Marv would actually step aside and MB to hand the keys to him is a big pill to swallow.

Hue made the right choice.

The Browns offer for HC was reality here and now... not some "we'll see" scenario.

Those calling him an idiot for doing so should rethink what they're saying.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 09:58 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I think you are correct about this.  Otherwise there would be several of those situations laid out around the league.

So, assuming the news that Hue was all but guaranteed the team in two years time, how many of you would pass on a big promotion and pay increase with a new organization now because you feel in two years time the promise that you will be promoted andget the big raise will happen?

Anything can happen in two years, so there is certainly no guarantee of getting the job in the future.

Plus nothing is guaranteed. Just because mike wanted him in 2016 doesn't mean he will in 2017. Or if someone else took over, they wouldn't be bound to honor it.

I see hues side. I still think anyone that takes a head coach assignment with the browns is an idiot, though.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 12:01 PM)Benton Wrote: I still think anyone that takes a head coach assignment with the browns is an idiot, though.

Because of ownership and it's the "Factory of Sadness"?

Ya know...

I can still remember when the Bengals were that team.

Just sayin'...
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote