Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reason Tyler Boyd isn’t a Steeler yet.
(04-05-2024, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Give me Newton or Murphy too and cut BJ Hill and man would our interior pass rush be improved along with our run Defense.

Both Newton and Murphy are great at stopping the run and rushing the passer and Murphy can play NT.

Nu-uh!

There's only 4 nose tackles in the draft! Just look at the weight of the prospects.

I agree, multiples DT's can play NT, though not as good of pure run stuffers, they push the pocket well and are more than worthy of consideration.

But if you disagree, I am certain there are multiple scouting reports on reddit and Walterfootball that will prove you wrong.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 07:15 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Nu-uh!

There's only 4 nose tackles in the draft! Just look at the weight of the prospects.

I agree, multiples DT's can play NT, though not as good of pure run stuffers, they push the pocket well and are more than worthy of consideration.

But if you disagree, I am certain there are multiple scouting reports on reddit and Walterfootball that will prove you wrong.

Wink

That is what is so nice about Byron Murphy, he can do both. I know he looks tiny next to Sweat but that doesn't mean anything 
when talking about positions in the scheme they play. Maason Smith who we just brought in can also play multiple positions all 
across the DL. Don't be surprised with a Fautanu/Maason Smith start to the Draft for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 06:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I don't see any solid/strong starter like Hilton or Hill being cut, particularly in the name of *cap savings*. The only personnel move that I could foresee is Higgins getting traded during the draft, to a team that missed out on the top 3 WRs in this class, and even that wouldn't be in the name of *cap savings* as much as getting draft capital to make the team better.

As for Tyler Boyd coming back to the team, their silence speaks loudly in that they haven't elected to match Pittsburgh's offer of $10M over 2 years.  They indeed want to be younger at the WR position, as they see a couple of OL starters needing replaced in the next two years.

Agree in all aspects.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 07:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wink

That is what is so nice about Byron Murphy, he can do both. I know he looks tiny next to Sweat but that doesn't mean anything 
when talking about positions in the scheme they play. Maason Smith who we just brought in can also play multiple positions all 
across the DL. Don't be surprised with a Fautanu/Maason Smith start to the Draft for the Bengals.

That is why Murphy is my ideal first round pick. Can play both spots, no question marks,  but get the foreshadowing.

I hate that the biggest positions of need, IMO, are the ones where the coaching has show the least ability to make improvements (O-line, D-line).

Maybe that makes the argument for taking a WR, TE, RB, or CB instead?  blech
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 06:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I don't see any solid/strong starter like Hilton or Hill being cut, particularly in the name of *cap savings*. The only personnel move that I could foresee is Higgins getting traded during the draft, to a team that missed out on the top 3 WRs in this class, and even that wouldn't be in the name of *cap savings* as much as getting draft capital to make the team better.

As for Tyler Boyd coming back to the team, their silence speaks loudly in that they haven't elected to match Pittsburgh's offer of $10M over 2 years.  They indeed want to be younger at the WR position, as they see a couple of OL starters needing replaced in the next two years.

Absolutely.

Why cut a CB heavy defensive scheme like Lou's of CB's?

Dax has much better measurables that Hilton, but comparing instincts, Dax is out of his depth.

I agree the silence of Boyd speaks loudly. Hopefully whatever Burrow wants in that regard, he gets.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 07:25 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: That is why Murphy is my ideal first round pick. Can play both spots, no question marks,  but get the foreshadowing.

I hate that the biggest positions of need, IMO, are the ones where the coaching has show the least ability to make improvements (O-line, D-line).

Maybe that makes the argument for taking a WR, TE, RB, or CB instead?  blech

No doubt, that is the problem alright. We need to be able to coach up the trenches and the trench coaches especially Pollack have been 
bad to say the least at this. It is why we always have to push for Free Agents in the trenches. But sooner or later we need our coaches to 
be able to coach up the Draft picks.

But it will be easier for the coaches with more polished players, Murphy is polished.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 07:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, that is the problem alright. We need to be able to coach up the trenches and the trench coaches especially Pollack have been 
bad to say the least at this. It is why we always have to push for Free Agents in the trenches. But sooner or later we need our coaches to 
be able to coach up the Draft picks.

But it will be easier for the coaches with more polished players, Murphy is polished.

Makes for an interesting concept.

How long will it be until the "Burrow Effect" transitions to the coaching staff?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 07:49 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Makes for an interesting concept.

How long will it be until the "Burrow Effect" transitions to the coaching staff?

Hmmm  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Give me Newton or Murphy too and cut BJ Hill and man would our interior pass rush be improved along with our run Defense.

Both Newton and Murphy are great at stopping the run and rushing the passer and Murphy can play NT.

We have no depth behind Rankins or Hill. Cutting BJ would make it very weak on the DL.. Unless you think Carter is the answer, I don't.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 01:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even if Bowers is there?

tbh i don't even care. Why bother? Between the Bengals, Reds, Bearcats and Wildcats, this area is a shit show for sports "entertainment". No matter what any of them do, they'll end up ***** it up in the end. Have a ***** annoying day at work just to come home and watch the Reds **** up all night and lose. Then watch NC State lose in their final 4 game and now after not really paying attention until recently, i watch the Iowa game and of course they're shitting the bed. I ***** absolutely hate teams that win all the time. Oh, look. It's the UConn women in the final 4 again. It must be nice being a fan in an area where the teams do nothing but win all the damn time. Could you imagine living in the New England area the last 20 years or so. Or around the bay area? All those damn teams do nothing but win and i get to do nothing but watch shit year after year. I've got no more patience for the bullshit that goes on with the teams around here or the teams i try to root for because they do nothing but lose. 

Zack Edey can suck a dick because he does nothing but stand under the basket because he's twice as big as anyone else, but how much do you wanna bet when they meet Uconn in the finals, Uconn wins AGAIN. I'm about done with sports entirely because it's nothing but frustrating bullshit all the time. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Money is the primary concern but playtime can impact things as well. You'd think Boyd would more likely want to be in Pittsburgh as he might get more targets. OTOH, it is hard to know if Russ has anything left. So yeah, factor in winning as well.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 10:08 PM)sandwedge Wrote: We have no depth behind Rankins or Hill. Cutting BJ would make it very weak on the DL.. Unless you think Carter is the answer, I don't.

Cutting BJ is an insane idea. The man consistently makes plays when we need the most. How many interceptions did he have last year at the DT spot?
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 10:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Cutting BJ is an insane idea. The man consistently makes plays when we need the most. How many interceptions did he have last year at the DT spot?

Two.
Reply/Quote
Cutting BJ for cap space to make room for a star player would be a no brainer

But cutting him for any other reason seems stupid

Dude is a good player and at 7M he’s not even expensive
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 11:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: tbh i don't even care. Why bother? Between the Bengals, Reds, Bearcats and Wildcats, this area is a shit show for sports "entertainment". No matter what any of them do, they'll end up ***** it up in the end. Have a ***** annoying day at work just to come home and watch the Reds **** up all night and lose. Then watch NC State lose in their final 4 game and now after not really paying attention until recently, i watch the Iowa game and of course they're shitting the bed. I ***** absolutely hate teams that win all the time. Oh, look. It's the UConn women in the final 4 again. It must be nice being a fan in an area where the teams do nothing but win all the damn time. Could you imagine living in the New England area the last 20 years or so. Or around the bay area? All those damn teams do nothing but win and i get to do nothing but watch shit year after year. I've got no more patience for the bullshit that goes on with the teams around here or the teams i try to root for because they do nothing but lose. 

Zack Edey can suck a dick because he does nothing but stand under the basket because he's twice as big as anyone else, but how much do you wanna bet when they meet Uconn in the finals, Uconn wins AGAIN. I'm about done with sports entirely because it's nothing but frustrating bullshit all the time. 

Iowa won...... Ninja
Watch your blood pressure old man.... Tongue
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 10:31 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Two.

Abd how many did all the other DT's combined have? BJ's not the best DT in the league by any stretch, but he is very valuable and comes up big at the right time. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 10:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Abd how many did all the other DT's combined have? BJ's not the best DT in the league by any stretch, but he is very valuable and comes up big at the right time. 

You'll have to use the almighty internet and look that one up.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 10:31 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Two.

As fate would have it that's the same amount of TDs that Tyler Boyd had last year... Meh.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 11:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: tbh i don't even care. Why bother? Between the Bengals, Reds, Bearcats and Wildcats, this area is a shit show for sports "entertainment". No matter what any of them do, they'll end up ***** it up in the end. Have a ***** annoying day at work just to come home and watch the Reds **** up all night and lose. Then watch NC State lose in their final 4 game and now after not really paying attention until recently, i watch the Iowa game and of course they're shitting the bed. I ***** absolutely hate teams that win all the time. Oh, look. It's the UConn women in the final 4 again. It must be nice being a fan in an area where the teams do nothing but win all the damn time. Could you imagine living in the New England area the last 20 years or so. Or around the bay area? All those damn teams do nothing but win and i get to do nothing but watch shit year after year. I've got no more patience for the bullshit that goes on with the teams around here or the teams i try to root for because they do nothing but lose. 

I  go back to where the World Series was the only postseason games. You had to be the winner of the National League for the Reds to make the postseason. So, many years they had no chance. But I still enjoyed those regular games immensely. 

I go back to when the NFL didn't have these postseason games -- just the two best teams at the end of the year. When college football just had the bowl games, not a playoff, and a poll determined the national champion. I still enjoyed the regular season when there was little chance my teams would be crowned at the end.

It's a pastime -- entertainment to "pass the time." The key is to enjoy the games without the reliance on winning it all. Yes, it's very frustrating to come close and lose, because of all the media attention on championship games and playoffs. But if one's happiness is reliant on winning it all, one will be miserable almost every year in our short lives.
Reply/Quote
I feel like Hilton is the only 3rd contract guy i want to resign right now
-Housh
Reply/Quote