Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can have all the O Line talent you want...
(01-25-2021, 10:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You block well for Burrow and we will start winning.

The running game will also come alive if we block well.

Just hoping we can get after the passer and stop the run on the other side of the ball eventually.

Sounds like we have a ton of holes to fill.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(01-25-2021, 10:36 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah for real... They had a ton of oot outs too. Yet they managed to finish around .500... Just like Tomlin did with the Steelers the previous year. In Cincinnati, they give passes for terrible records because this or that didn't happen.

but at least Tomlin was working with pretty much the best defense in the league that season

Bill's coaching carried the 2020 pats to 7-9
O-line talent? Meh.

Pass rushers. We need pass rushers. Did anyone see Shaq Barrett and JPP feast on the packers? Aaron Rodgers looked pretty human with those 2 chasing him down.

We. Need. Premier. Pass rushers.
(01-25-2021, 09:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Steelers were not a good team this year. 

They started 8-0. Even bad Steelers teams throttle the Bengals in prime time. 
Turnovers are part of the game.

They weren't that good but they were better than we were.

People criticize ZT. The 2020 season was a terrible year. Covid, no preseason, new QB and a lot of injuries.
Those same people cannot give him credit for beating the Titans or the Steelers. 2 playoff teams.
(01-25-2021, 11:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: O-line talent? Meh.

Pass rushers. We need pass rushers. Did anyone see Shaq Barrett and JPP feast on the packers? Aaron Rodgers looked pretty human with those 2 chasing him down.

The Pack were down to backup tackles because All Pro David Bahktiari was out. If David plays the Pack stand a better chance of winning.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
(01-25-2021, 11:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: O-line talent? Meh.

Maybe we could do that some day if we could sustain drives, and keep our defense fresh... Probably wouldn't hurt to maybe put our opponent in 3rd and long situations every now and again too. If we do all of that, and maybe stay away from allowing 150 - 400 yrds rushing per game, we could get some pressure and sacks.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(01-25-2021, 11:37 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The Pack were down to backup tackles because All Pro David Bahktiari was out. If David plays the Pack stand a better chance of winning.

Blown coverage before the half and Aaron Jones becoming butterfingers killed the Packers. Probably win that game if those didn't happen.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(01-25-2021, 10:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: but at least Tomlin was working with pretty much the best defense in the league that season

Bill's coaching carried the 2020 pats to 7-9

The shell of Cam Newton at QB and I would argue the worst skill group in the NFL (anyone putting a WR/WR/TE of Jakobi Meyers/Damiere Byrd/Ryan Izzo higher than 32nd?), and still won more games in 1 year than Zac Taylor could win in 2 combined.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Andy Reid was a slightly more successful version of an NFC Marvin Lewis.

He spent 77 years (ok, 13 for realistic sake) as head coach/GM of the Eagles. And he got to a SB.

But he wasn't exactly the Andy Reid of the Chiefs, who managed to land one of the NFL's most talented rosters with a decent coaching staff.

It's not as cut and dry as saying "the Bengals will always suck because they've always sucked/the Chiefs will dominate because they've always dominated." They've got some good coaches and some great players. Does that translate into a Bellicheck/Brady decade-long run? Probably not. Does it mean they probably make another SB or two in the next few seasons before cap issues gut the roster and Reid looks like Andy Reid, coach of the marginally successful Eagles? Probably.

A good coach can finesse some roster issues. But at the end of the day, the majority of a teams success depends on two things: the talent on the roster and the locker room environment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-25-2021, 07:21 PM)J24 Wrote: Kansas City has the Best QB, Best Deep threat WR, and best TE in the league. So yeah it's easy to scheme when you have the best players on your team.

"That's a bingo"

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(01-26-2021, 12:04 AM)Benton Wrote: Andy Reid was a slightly more successful version of an NFC Marvin Lewis.

He spent 77 years (ok, 13 for realistic sake) as head coach/GM of the Eagles. And he got to a SB.

But he wasn't exactly the Andy Reid of the Chiefs, who managed to land one of the NFL's most talented rosters with a decent coaching staff.

It's not as cut and dry as saying "the Bengals will always suck because they've always sucked/the Chiefs will dominate because they've always dominated." They've got some good coaches and some great players. Does that translate into a Bellicheck/Brady decade-long run? Probably not. Does it mean they probably make another SB or two in the next few seasons before cap issues gut the roster and Reid looks like Andy Reid, coach of the marginally successful Eagles? Probably.

A good coach can finesse some roster issues. But at the end of the day, the majority of a teams success depends on two things: the talent on the roster and the locker room environment.

One of my best friends is from Philly... He also roots for the Bengals, but he's an Eagles fan to the bone. I remember him bitching about Andy Reid, and being stoked when they brought in Chip Kelly. I think your assessment is pretty fair. In all honesty Andy Reid is a top 5 current NFL HC though... Maybe top 3.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(01-26-2021, 12:04 AM)Benton Wrote: Andy Reid was a slightly more successful version of an NFC Marvin Lewis.

That's not even close, Benton.

14 years with the Eagles
Went to the playoffs 9 of those years
Won at least 1 playoff game in 7 of those 9 years
Won the division 5 times
Went to 5 NFC Championship games
Went to 1 Super Bowl

130-93-1 in the regular season
10-9 in the postseason

Andy Reid is far more than a "slightly more successful version of an NFC Marvin Lewis". Is he up there on the greatest coaches ever? No, probably not, but he's probably the first name on the tier below that very top tier and well well above Marvin Lewis.

Guy is going into the HoF as a coach.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(01-25-2021, 10:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Belichick just went 7-9 with one of the worst qb's in the league. Maybe the worst

All of these Belichick doubters are going to be proven so wrong down the line. Guy's still the best coach in the NFL

That is what makes me laugh.

People are saying it was all Brady.... while ignoring that he has more offensive talent around him now then ever before, not too mention Arians is a good coach in his own right.

The hoodie will either get someone in the draft that he develops or he'll get a Darnold or Stafford or one of the other QBs on the move (please not Watson, that would be unstoppable) and just get right back to kicking ass.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(01-26-2021, 12:33 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is what makes me laugh.

People are saying it was all Brady.... while ignoring that he has more offensive talent around him now then ever before, not too mention Arians is a good coach in his own right.

The hoodie will either get someone in the draft that he develops or he'll get a Darnold or Stafford or one of the other QBs on the move (please not Watson, that would be unstoppable) and just get right back to kicking ass.

I actually think a pure pocket accurate passer works best with Belichick.

Stafford would be HUGE for New England. I think San Fran will nab him though
(01-26-2021, 12:33 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is what makes me laugh.

I don’t think anyone is saying “it was all Brady.” I started a thread myself in Around the NFL just to give him his due though early this season. The “system QB” stuff was always complete nonsense. And if I never have to hear about Belichick winning with Matt Cassel again (a board favorite) it’ll be too soon.

Brady has now proved he can win without Belichick. I’m sure Belichick will regroup up there in NE and get them back to being a contender soon enough. One thing working against him is the AFC is absolutely stacked with good teams now and up and coming talent (especially at QB). It’ll be interesting.

(01-26-2021, 12:21 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's not even close, Benton.

14 years with the Eagles
Went to the playoffs 9 of those years
Won at least 1 playoff game in 7 of those 9 years
Won the division 5 times
Went to 5 NFC Championship games
Went to 1 Super Bowl

130-93-1 in the regular season
10-9 in the postseason

Andy Reid is far more than a "slightly more successful version of an NFC Marvin Lewis". Is he up there on the greatest coaches ever? No, probably not, but he's probably the first name on the tier below that very top tier and well well above Marvin Lewis.

Guy is going into the HoF as a coach.

Meh

It's likes (off the top of my head) 14-6 afc over nfc this last 20 years in the sb. Being a marginally successful nfc coach is not very good on the afc.

Marvin lewis probably would have done pretty well with the eagles. Reid did pretty well, too. The afc doesn't forgive "pretty well."