Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Dehner - 'Will Bengals invest in offensive line?'
(01-20-2021, 10:09 PM)Benton Wrote: Agree with the second sentence, but my concern with the first sentence is: we need a RT for (hopefully) more than 16 games. Jonah hasn't played 16 games in two years. Even if we move him to RT, he's  like when we had Andre  only as good as his backup.

Good point. Cannot disagree, but you take Sewell if he is there no matter what IMO.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 09:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jonah isn't below average talent, far from it. Still am for drafting Sewell no matter what cause Jonah is injury prone so far
in the NFL as you mention but Jonah has GREAT technique, quick feet and is just a natural O-lineman. Think Jonah will be a
stud down the road wherever he plays if he can just stay healthy.

Jonah definitely has the skills, knowhow, and desire to be a successful NFL OL, but the rate at which he's getting injured makes me wonder if he didn't just give a little too much in college?  Perhaps a slide into LG might allow him to excel, while giving his body a break and time to heal up at the same time?  Then, down the road, when the opportunity arises, he'll be healthy and ready to move back out to Tackle.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
No matter how you slice it, the Bengals need at least TWO free-agent OL's. They need a Guard, Center and Tackle and you can't trust the draft to fall your way an satisfying your needs. You can't assume Sewell will be there at #5, so going after Moton or a Darryl Williams is a must in my opinion. A Center as well (Linsley?). Anyone trust Price at Center? I certainly don't. Hell, I'm starting to think Center is more important than Guard right now. Grabbing at least two free-agents lets you know who you have instead of risking a bust which the Bengals certainly can't afford.

The Bengals can't afford for Burrow to get hit like he did last year. Opening up the checkbook is a must.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 11:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jonah definitely has the skills, knowhow, and desire to be a successful NFL OL, but the rate at which he's getting injured makes me wonder if he didn't just give a little too much in college?  Perhaps a slide into LG might allow him to excel, while giving his body a break and time to heal up at the same time?  Then, down the road, when the opportunity arises, he'll be healthy and ready to move back out to Tackle.

Sounds good especially if we get Sewell. Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2021, 12:11 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: No matter how you slice it, the Bengals need at least TWO free-agent OL's. They need a Guard, Center and Tackle and you can't trust the draft to fall your way an satisfying your needs. You can't assume Sewell will be there at #5, so going after Moton or a Darryl Williams is a must in my opinion. A Center as well (Linsley?). Anyone trust Price at Center? I certainly don't. Hell, I'm starting to think Center is more important than Guard right now. Grabbing at least two free-agents lets you know who you have instead of risking a bust which the Bengals certainly can't afford.

The Bengals can't afford for Burrow to get hit like he did last year. Opening up the checkbook is a must.
100% agree that I'd take Linsley over any free agent guard. If Hopkins comes back midway through the season, he can compete for a guard position.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 11:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jonah definitely has the skills, knowhow, and desire to be a successful NFL OL, but the rate at which he's getting injured makes me wonder if he didn't just give a little too much in college?  Perhaps a slide into LG might allow him to excel, while giving his body a break and time to heal up at the same time?  Then, down the road, when the opportunity arises, he'll be healthy and ready to move back out to Tackle.

That's the rub with Bama players.  They often seem used up when they get to the league.  There's no load management or consideration for the future.  They are there to win titles and that's it.  Saban will grind a kid into the ground, especially OL and running backs.  Henry and Ingram looked pedestrian until they had a year or two to "recover" in the league, lol.
Reply/Quote
Personally,
I'd announce ahead of time that we are going to be looking for some players on the OL and willing to pay for top notch (don't use names so no tampering). Gets the message out there to those that are on the fence about resigning with the current teams.

As soon as FA opens, send an offer to Moton and Williams, tell them first one to accept get the job. lol
And Get Linsley from GB if he's available as well, forget about a guard, we can draft them in the mid rounds of the draft.
Not sure about you guys, but C and T is where I want my best players at.

Then once the draft starts up, if Sewell falls and Chase is there, make your decision then on which one to take.
We can take Sewell at that point and let him develop and challenge Jonah, winner is LT, loser is Guard.

If completely comfortable with Jonah at LT, then get Chase.

Take a G with the 2nd pick. I'm liking that Tennessee guy, Trey Smith.

A Center i like later in the draft that's a forgotten man is Jack Wohlabaugh. He tore his ACL at the beginning of this college season and is now rated as a UDFA.
Reply/Quote
Well after last night I think a good case could be made for signing top level talent at the guard position. KC destroyed Buffalo's guards last night.

Last night also underscored the value of a top receiver who can reliably get open - and the value of defensive backs and linebackers who can cover tight.

But for now, the focus has to be on protecting Burrow. And the interior is the place to start.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 03:34 PM)3wt Wrote: Well after last night I think a good case could be made for signing top level talent at the guard position.  KC destroyed Buffalo's guards last night.

Last night also underscored the value of a top receiver who can reliably get open - and the value of defensive backs and linebackers who can cover tight.

But for now, the focus has to be on protecting Burrow.  And the interior is the place to start.

Good point, think I am leaning that way. Our Guard in MJ was the reason Burrow got killed last season.

I still like Spain though and believe we need to retain him and if Sewell is there you Draft him at 5.
Reply/Quote