Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record Unemployment, Record Trade Deficit, Record National Debt
(10-07-2020, 06:44 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I want to give him a pass?

As soon as States stop locking people down and let businesses open back up.

I agreed with the travel bans.

I like that he is trying to do something with trade, nuclear deal sucked and so did the climate accord and even Biden said USMCA is a good deal.  So i'm good with what he did.  At least he is trying to secure the border.  I am very much against illegal immigration.

Have you even looked into Harris at all?  She could very well be Prez at least for a short time.  No thanks!

And just a funny, as I am typing this, I hear Pelosi say "Trump has always had EROTIC behavior and right now it's very, very dangerous".  lmao!  

So you think you have the right to tell some woman you have never met what she can do with her body because of your faith I presume. But you agree with bans that hurt some of the most worse off refugees in the world fleeing a living hell?

Nobody wants open borders. Dumping money into a wall so a probable Trump crony can get a massive government contract to build a wall that will fail in short time is a terrible waste of money.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 08:41 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So you think you have the right to tell some woman you have never met what she can do with her body because of your faith I presume. But you agree with bans that hurt some of the most worse off refugees in the world fleeing a living hell?

Nobody wants open borders. Dumping money into a wall so a probable Trump crony can get a massive government contract to build a wall that will fail in short time is a terrible waste of money.

You have no idea if I even have a religion.  I have no problem with a woman doing whatever she wants to her own body.  A baby is not "a womans body".  It is a separate living human being.

I believe they need to come into our Country legally.

Do you have proof of that?
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 09:47 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: You have no idea if I even have a religion.  I have no problem with a woman doing whatever she wants to her own body.  A baby is not "a womans body".  It is a separate living human being.

I believe they need to come into our Country legally.

Do you have proof of that?

Dude has been a glowing conman for years. And apparently some people have a specific type of color blindness. 

https://www.propublica.org/article/private-border-wall-fundraisers-have-been-arrested-on-fraud-charges

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a33901794/border-wall-failure-engineering-report/
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nafta wasn't reworked?

It was redone into the USMCA.

Is it better?

Eh... that's debatable.

It upped the amount of car parts required to be made in North America from 62% to 75%... but not necessarily the US. So, Mexico and Canada will see more production, presumably. It also upped the wage of auto workers to $16 US. Which makes it still much, much cheaper to make a car in Canada or Mexico. 

So as far as car manufacturing, Canada and Mexico won that issue.

Farmers and ranchers access is expanded, which is good for exporting good to Canada. It's also good for Mexico, which exports a lot of goods to the US. 

So for farmers, it's kind of a balance out.

The big winner? Maybe big business.

Old NAFTA required them to physically house data in Canada and Mexico. USMCA doesn't require that, largely thanks to Democrats. 

So Canadian and Mexican citizens get an economic boost, American companies get to do business cheaper and American workers... I dunno, get a potentially cheaper price of Canadian peanuts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 08:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I guess I made a mistake because I responded to what you actually said.

You were correct in the response, but just to add to Fred's thought:

A lot of us were hopeful on the trade deal aspect, which has largely been in favor of other countries for a while. In respect to China, a lot of Kentucky soy bean farmers got crunched between tariffs (which I personally support) and an unusually wet year (which left a lot of unsold soybeans rotting). I've been interested in how that will play out here in terms of the election. Soybean farmers are admittedly a small portion of our population, but they make for a large economic chunk in Kentucky (around 7,000 direct employees and $2.5 billion overall in revenue).
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:54 PM)Benton Wrote: You were correct in the response, but just to add to Fred's thought:

A lot of us were hopeful on the trade deal aspect, which has largely been in favor of other countries for a while. In respect to China, a lot of Kentucky soy bean farmers got crunched between tariffs (which I personally support) and an unusually wet year (which left a lot of unsold soybeans rotting). I've been interested in how that will play out here in terms of the election. Soybean farmers are admittedly a small portion of our population, but they make for a large economic chunk in Kentucky (around 7,000 direct employees and $2.5 billion overall in revenue).

My father's family is from Iowa and some still farm there.  Soybeans make up a large portion of their crops as well.  I agree with you, I was very hopeful our unbalanced trade agreements could be addressed in a more equitable fashion.  Hopefully whomever wins on election day continues efforts in this regard instead of returning to business as usual.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 04:37 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If some GoPers could please explain to me why you like policies that have these results. I keep hearing I like his policies. I would really like a good list of all the great policies that garner so much support.

Because I see epic failure.

Question: do you think a Biden-led shutdown of the country would be good for our economy?

As to Trump's policies, my company raised starting salaries of new employees because of his tax cut by $2/hour (and they have yet to come back down). I guess you think that was an "epic failure", too?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 08:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I guess I made a mistake because I responded to what you actually said.

No mistake on your part at all.  That is why I clarified my comments.  That is what I do when I make a mistake or am not clear about what I am saying.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:44 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote:  nuclear deal sucked and so did the climate accord 

The nuclear deal with Iraq did not suck.  We now have no limits on Iraq's plutonium enrichment.  How is that a good thing.

Climate accord did not suck either.  Why do you claim it did?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: As to Trump's policies, my company raised starting salaries of new employees because of his tax cut by $2/hour (and they have yet to come back down). I guess you think that was an "epic failure", too?

Your company is an outlier. 

And like I said before, the federal government had to borrow more money in order for you to get a raise.   think that will come back to bite us at some point.   Anyone can pump up the economy if they are willing to borrow money to do it.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Question: do you think a Biden-led shutdown of the country would be good for our economy?

As to Trump's policies, my company raised starting salaries of new employees because of his tax cut by $2/hour (and they have yet to come back down). I guess you think that was an "epic failure", too?

I have to admit im skeptical of the long term viability of such things since fiscal conservatism has been dead for decades. 

Tax cuts with increased spending doesn't add up, but it does please 'em in the short term. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Question: do you think a Biden-led shutdown of the country would be good for our economy?

Proof trickle down works? Or proof the years and years of people fighting for a living wage got a bone throne to them.

I’ll go with option B.

I’ll never call a win for a he working class an epic failure
Reply/Quote

No, how could it be.

But Biden has never said he would completely shut down the country.  Instead he said he would listen to the scientists.  He has not said that scientists have said we need to shut down the entire country.

Do you think Trumps refusal to address the spread of the virus and lie to the people about how dangerous it was was the right thing to do?

And don't even start about the China travel ban.  that is like bragging about closing the gate after the horse is out.  Once the virus was here the issue was the spread of the virus here and the travel ban did NOTHING to stop that.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 01:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Tax cuts with increased spending doesn't add up, but it does please 'em in the short term. 

Agreed. But I'd say the issue is more with the increased spending than with the tax cuts.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Agreed. But I'd say the issue is more with the increased spending than with the tax cuts.

They're really the same thing in regards to their impact on deficit and debt.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 02:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No, how could it be.

I agree. So, if Biden does do a lockdown that will actually make things worse, agree?

(10-08-2020, 02:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But Biden has never said he would completely shut down the country.  Instead he said he would listen to the scientists.  He has not said that scientists have said we need to shut down the entire country.
Which scientists? What if they disagree and there's no consensus on what to do? Also, are any of these scientists economic scientists? You do realize that a scientist may say a full lockdown is needed to stop the virus but a full lockdown could also totally crash our economy and so a compromise may be needed. What then?
(10-08-2020, 02:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Do you think Trumps refusal to address the spread of the virus and lie to the people about how dangerous it was was the right thing to do?

Nope. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Agreed. But I'd say the issue is more with the increased spending than with the tax cuts.

https://www.lp.org/
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: https://www.lp.org/

Do I gotta say who sent me? LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Which scientists? What if they disagree and there's no consensus on what to do? Also, are any of these scientists economic scientists? You do realize that a scientist may say a full lockdown is needed to stop the virus but a full lockdown could also totally crash our economy and so a compromise may be needed. What then?

Then some form of compromise might be needed. Sure. What Biden, I hope, would not do is just scold, undermine or turn away from actual experts and scientists whose opinions don't fit his goals or agendas. Which is what team Trump does, eg. running negative campaigns against Fauci because they do not approve of his take.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 04:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Do I gotta say who sent me? LOL

No, but I'm pretty sure there is a secret knock involved eventually.
Reply/Quote