Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redmond - Weakest link on the line
(10-24-2018, 02:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Stats never tell the whole story nor will they ever tell the whole story. They're like reading the middle 10 chapters in a 20 chapter book.

For example we're down by 21 late in a game and get 2 pressures, see what I mean ?

...they still got pressure. You said they don't get pressure, but then just contended they do just not when you want (which in it self is subjective to your own personal belief).  If you can show me what their actual rate of pressure is during situations you deem "important" then we can have a real conversation. The reality is your basing your argument around casual observation which has a slanted bias towards your own belief so nothing I say will actually make a difference to you.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mean, i would be all for this but the coaches don't seem to be for whatever reason with Westerman.

He just never gets a shot at RG.

Also, what is Price's timeline? Heard from his own mouth he would be back for the Steelers game and he is
still out a game later? This has me concerned now if he doesn't make it back this week.

Nervous

I have a theory about this.  We've been wondering why no Westerman at RG, when it's been blatantly apparent to everyone who watched him play, that he's a better player.  I believe that the reason is because he's Boling's only backup.  Boling is also the next best OT on the team.  If something happens to Glenn or Hart, and Boling has to play OT, then I believe that you will see Westerman inserted directly at LG.  In other words, they keep him on the shelf to be Boling's only backup.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have a theory about this.  We've been wondering why no Westerman at RG, when it's been blatantly apparent to everyone who watched him play, that he's a better player.  I believe that the reason is because he's Boling's only backup.  Boling is also the next best OT on the team.  If something happens to Glenn or Hart, and Boling has to play OT, then I believe that you will see Westerman inserted directly at LG.  In other words, they keep him on the shelf to be Boling's only backup.

Sounds plausible.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have a theory about this.  We've been wondering why no Westerman at RG, when it's been blatantly apparent to everyone who watched him play, that he's a better player.  I believe that the reason is because he's Boling's only backup.  Boling is also the next best OT on the team.  If something happens to Glenn or Hart, and Boling has to play OT, then I believe that you will see Westerman inserted directly at LG.  In other words, they keep him on the shelf to be Boling's only backup.

You may be exactly right Sunset but can you sacrifice games just to keep somebody safe to be a back up ?

Why not roll the dice and have Redmond be the back up ? I mean that's why they're back ups. 
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No doubt,

Lazor has got to rewrite the playbook with what we have and find ways to make it work. I think this is often a trap coaches fall into. They are stubborn changing their plan, "it was a good plan I made it up" and they often don't want to adapt it. At least not quickly enough.

This is where the hoodie and whomever he has under him are wizards. They rewrite the book every week.

It seems Lazor is game to adjust, but man......the bye can't some soon enough, he's running out of bullets out there.  That being said, he needs to figure it out, and quickly.  I hope he does, and hope that things look better when some players get back out there.

Damn I wish we had Darth Hoodie.  Be nice if he decided to come here to prove the haters are wrong about him winning without Brady....lol.

(10-24-2018, 02:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We need to draft atleast one TE early next year for sure to go along with a couple LB's it seems.

And of course a Guard and Tackle.

BTW, liked what i saw from that Minshew, Guard on your Noles the Gator game Wyche.

Big, mean, looking sumbitch.

Yes....and this is why I'm not very upset.....aside from getting curb stomped Sunday night.  You never want to see that.

I've felt all along this team needed another good offseason plugging holes to be a legit contender.  They've actually performed above my expectations to this point.....but we need to beat Tampa.  I'd be looking for a TE in FA.....or a backer.  Honestly though, CJ and Kroft aren't that bad.  OG, OT, and LB seem to be our worst holes right now.

Minshew was a top prospect in 2015.  It's hard to gauge any of our olinemen based on how poorly the unit, as a whole, has played.  He certainly looks the part, and played well at the end of 2106.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: It seems Lazor is game to adjust, but man......the bye can't some soon enough, he's running out of bullets out there.  That being said, he needs to figure it out, and quickly.  I hope he does, and hope that things look better when some players get back out there.

Damn I wish we had Darth Hoodie.  Be nice if he decided to come here to prove the haters are wrong about him winning without Brady....lol.

Yes....and this is why I'm not very upset.....aside from getting curb stomped Sunday night.  You never want to see that.

I've felt all along this team needed another good offseason plugging holes to be a legit contender.  They've actually performed above my expectations to this point.....but we need to beat Tampa.  I'd be looking for a TE in FA.....or a backer.  Honestly though, CJ and Kroft aren't that bad.  OG, OT, and LB seem to be our worst holes right now.

Minshew was a top prospect in 2015.  It's hard to gauge any of our olinemen based on how poorly the unit, as a whole, has played.  He certainly looks the part, and played well at the end of 2106.

Those are the holes no question. Uzomah has looked good to me, just is not targeted enough by Dalton which is
really my only problem with Dalton especially lately, he has been trying to force the ball to AJ. This makes the entire
Offense predictable. Run it with Mixon, get a couple, two passes to AJ Green, repeat.

Atleast that is what happened last game. Need to try and spread the ball around a little more and Mixon is a WR too.

Would think Lazor would be loving all the ways to use Mixon, he is not just a RB and Boyd looks like a stud all of a
sudden. We need to add as you say a TE, LB and an O-lineman right now before the bye so they can get into the
system. Lengel is not the answer, Schreck is out for the year.

Don't know what TE's are out there that could really help, but getting say Chance Warmack and Hassan Reddick
sure would help immediately IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You may be exactly right Sunset but can you sacrifice games just to keep somebody safe to be a back up ?

Why not roll the dice and have Redmond be the back up ? I mean that's why they're back ups. 

That's a good question, but we've both been fans of this team long enough to expect wacky decisions from the coaching staff. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Those are the holes no question. Uzomah has looked good to me, just is not targeted enough by Dalton which is
really my only problem with Dalton especially lately, he has been trying to force the ball to AJ. This makes the entire
Offense predictable. Run it with Mixon, get a couple, two passes to AJ Green, repeat.

Atleast that is what happened last game. Need to try and spread the ball around a little more and Mixon is a WR too.

Would think Lazor would be loving all the ways to use Mixon, he is not just a RB and Boyd looks like a stud all of a
sudden. We need to add as you say a TE, LB and an O-lineman right now before the bye so they can get into the
system. Lengel is not the answer, Schreck is out for the year.

Don't know what TE's are out there that could really help, but getting say Chance Warmack and Hassan Reddick
sure would help immediately IMHO.

Didn't really look like many people were getting open except Green on Sunday night to me.  The ball was being spread around all season up until this game.  I just think the injuries have made us a lot easier to cover.  There was a good post near the end of the Game Day thread about the number of people the Chiefs were able to drop back in coverage as a result of getting pressure and run stuffs with a rather small amount of players.  Made sense.

IDK, they have to figure something out pretty quickly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 11:09 AM)spazz70 Wrote: That is why I believe that you plug Price in at RG when he returns...He played 3 seasons at OSU at RG then 1 season at Center...TJ and Andy seemed to be doing just fine right now.

As much as I'd hate to lose that stud Center we've been waiting for since the Braham days, kicking Price over could save the season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Trade burfict to raiders fir Rodney Hudson or Gabe Jackson. Play price at the other spot. Draft a rt early next year. Line on its way to being fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 03:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Didn't really look like many people were getting open except Green on Sunday night to me.  The ball was being spread around all season up until this game.  I just think the injuries have made us a lot easier to cover.  There was a good post near the end of the Game Day thread about the number of people the Chiefs were able to drop back in coverage as a result of getting pressure and run stuffs with a rather small amount of players.  Made sense.

IDK, they have to figure something out pretty quickly.

True that the Chiefs adapted but i saw atleast a few plays where either Boyd, Mixon or Uzi were open and Dalton
forced it to Green and it ended badly. That Chiefs Defense was not the one i watched play earlier this season against
the Steelers and Pats that is for sure, muchly improved against us and i guess it could be because of no Eifert or Gio
for us but i just don't know. Uzi looks decent, Mixon is a stud pass catcher out of the backfield.

Sounds like the DC for the Chiefs just had Lazor's number this last game.

Andy Reid sure had Austin's.

You are correct as usual, need to adjust and respond big come Sunday. Than we can make a few moves in the bye.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 03:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As much as I'd hate to lose that stud Center we've been waiting for since the Braham days, kicking Price over could save the season.

Could. :andy:

(10-24-2018, 03:25 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Trade burfict to raiders fir Rodney Hudson or Gabe Jackson.  Play price at the other spot.  Draft a rt early next year.  Line on its way to being fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think Burfict is an attractive player in a trade after the way he has played lately?

Don't know about it.
Reply/Quote
Even with Burfict not playing all that great right now he’s still far and away the best LB we have, and you don’t trade away a player from an already extremely weak position group.

As for the OP, yes, Redmond sucks. Needs to sit. Idc if we move Price to RG, or start Westerman, do something. We’ve already lost 2 seasons over sticking with terrible OL play too long.

Reply/Quote
I would not be opposed to putting Price in at RG when he returns, but I'm a layman. I do find it comical that Pollock was resoundingly glorified when he was hired as a great offensive line coach, and now to read it here, he cannot tell who is the better RG, Redmond or Westerman.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 09:03 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'll try and find the graphic, but the Bengals give up the 10th fewest QB pressures in the NFL which was completely mind blowing. I think people continue to under estimate how bad lines are across the entire league currently.

"Pressures" sounds very subjective.  It isn't sacks, or tackles for loss....and last time I checked, with the exception of the "start the game by trying to kill the clock" ***** scheme against the Chiefs, the Bengals weren't having a lot of offensive difficulties.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I do find it comical that Pollock was resoundingly glorified when he was hired as a great offensive line coach, and now to read it here, he cannot tell who is the better RG, Redmond or Westerman.

Rep.

Fans always think they are smarter than NFL coaches because they refuse to acknowledge all the times they were wrong
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I would not be opposed to putting Price in at RG when he returns, but I'm a layman. I do find it comical that Pollock was resoundingly glorified when he was hired as a great offensive line coach, and now to read it here, he cannot tell who is the better RG, Redmond or Westerman.

As Sunset said, maybe they only think of Westerman as a LG and Boling's backup.

Also, spell Pollack's name right atleast Sled.

I usually agree with you but i don't know if we have a backup to Redmond at RG right now. Hopkins or Price.

Hopkins has been our Center lately out of necessity and Price has been injured.

True that Pollack has not done a good job with Redmond, definately agree there as we all see from these pressures.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

Fans always think they are smarter than NFL coaches because they refuse to acknowledge all the times they were wrong

Thats you, i have admitted many times when i have been wrong.

Don't remember a time you have.

Also, PA never admitted he was wrong and called it a witch hunt to call out his Center that was the worst in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

Fred it has nothing to do with us fans thinking we're smarter than NFL coaches. But while we're on that what makes you believe NFL coaches are the smartest people in the world ? 

What it has to do with is we see Redmond struggling like he is and we wonder why they don't try something else ? LIKE:

Try Westerman, get another player off a practice squad, trade for somebody. And I don't think Pollock has the power to do that on his own.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thats you, i have admitted many times when i have been wrong.

Don't remember a time you have.

Also, PA never admitted he was wrong and called it a witch hunt to call out his Center that was the worst in the NFL.

Right on
Reply/Quote