Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redmond - Weakest link on the line
(10-25-2018, 12:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thats you, i have admitted many times when i have been wrong.

Don't remember a time you have.

I was wrong about Ogbuehi.  I thought his missing training camps was the reason he was slow to develop.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fred it has nothing to do with us fans thinking we're smarter than NFL coaches. But while we're on that what makes you believe NFL coaches are the smartest people in the world ? 

Because there are thousands of people competing for those handful of jobs.  The vetting process is extreme.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was wrong about Ogbuehi.  I thought his missing training camps was the reason he was slow to develop.

Are you asserting that he's developmentally disabled?  I know a few around here that would agree.   Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

Fans always think they are smarter than NFL coaches because they refuse to acknowledge all the times they were wrong

They are NFL coaches but that doesn't mean we cannot debate their decisions. 

And not all of the desicions they make are right. It's naive to assume everything they do is right JUST because they are in the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fred it has nothing to do with us fans thinking we're smarter than NFL coaches. But while we're on that what makes you believe NFL coaches are the smartest people in the world ? 

What it has to do with is we see Redmond struggling like he is and we wonder why they don't try something else ? LIKE:

Try Westerman, get another player off a practice squad, trade for somebody. And I don't think Pollock has the power to do that on his own.

He may not.....Piano Man Paul did, but I wonder if Pollack has as much leeway.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was wrong about Ogbuehi.  I thought his missing training camps was the reason he was slow to develop.

Cool, cool Fred.

Were you wrong about PA? Now that the Cowboys O-line is struggling?

Evidently i was wrong about Fisher who i thought would end up being a good OT for us.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool, cool Fred.

Were you wrong about PA? Now that the Cowboys O-line is struggling?

Evidently i was wrong about Fisher who i thought would end up being a good OT for us.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I view Alexander as being a dinosaur. He was a high quality coach back in the old days but the game has evolved to a point where his teaching techniques and talent evaluation do not fit well with today's game/players. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As Sunset said, maybe they only think of Westerman as a LG and Boling's backup.

Also, spell Pollack's name right atleast Sled.

I usually agree with you but i don't know if we have a backup to Redmond at RG right now. Hopkins or Price.

Hopkins has been our Center lately out of necessity and Price has been injured.

True that Pollack has not done a good job with Redmond, definately agree there as we all see from these pressures.

You got me, I misspelled it. I am recovering from Cataract surgery, and can barely see the keyboard.... Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Were you wrong about PA? Now that the Cowboys O-line is struggling?

They lost their All Pro Center and are starting a rookie at LG.  So it is hard to judge.  But if you remember I agreed that PA had to go after the Bodine/Ogbuehi/Fisher picks wrecked our O-line.

How about your opinion of Pollack?  Can he still walk on water and cure the sick?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 04:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps I'm wrong, but I view Alexander as being a dinosaur. He was a high quality coach back in the old days but the game has evolved to a point where his teaching techniques and talent evaluation do not fit well with today's game/players. 

.....if only he had adapted and updated himself.  He was a good coach at one time, just got to resting on his laurels I feel like.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 05:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They lost their All Pro Center and are starting a rookie at LG.  So it is hard to judge.  But if you remember I agreed that PA had to go after the Bodine/Ogbuehi/Fisher picks wrecked our O-line.

How about your opinion of Pollack?  Can he still walk on water and cure the sick?

The Dallas fans forums and sports writers have also called out the new blocking technique they are using as causing problems. Where did they get the new technique? PA.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thats you, i have admitted many times when i have been wrong.

Also, PA never admitted he was wrong and called it a witch hunt to call out his Center that was the worst in the NFL.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 03:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could. :andy:

You think Burfict is an attractive player in a trade after the way he has played lately?

Don't know about it.

It only matters what gruden thinks about him.  Last year he slobbered all over him on mnf
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 08:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: It only matters what gruden thinks about him.  Last year he slobbered all over him on mnf

If we are trading players based on Gruden's opinions, we need to send "This Dre KirKPaTRiCK" (this is how Gruden pronounces his name, overemphasizing the consonants) over there for a first rounder.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 01:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because there are thousands of people competing for those handful of jobs.  The vetting process is extreme.

In maany cases it is an old boys network. Some of the coaches may be brilliant others just may have some good common sense and leadership skills. There are no doubt many coaches you would be great NFL head coaches but will never get the chance.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:

You're not alone in thinking that Fisher was going to settle into being at least a solid starter.  His rookie year, when they were putting him all over the place, just to get him on the field;  I really thought to myself "Wow, this guy is an athlete.  He's going to be a special player for the Bengals.".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 07:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....if only he had adapted and updated himself.  He was a good coach at one time, just got to resting on his laurels I feel like.

And I think that's why Mike Brown kept him around for so long. He used to be good, Mike remembered that, and felt Alexander could get back to his successful ways.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thats you, i have admitted many times when i have been wrong.

Also, PA never admitted he was wrong and called it a witch hunt to call out his Center that was the worst in the NFL.

Not only that, PA also said Ogbuehi and Fisher would become great OTs in this league. Meanwhile, we're still waiting for either to contribute anything of quality and we're in Year 4. If they do ever become solid OTs (which I doubt), it's not going to be with the Bengals.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 12:58 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: In maany cases it is an old boys network. Some of the coaches may be brilliant others just may have some good common sense and leadership skills. There are no doubt many coaches you would be great NFL head coaches but will never get the chance.

I don't buy that one second. There are 32 HC jobs, 323 OC jobs, 32 DC jobs, 32 line coach jobs, etc. I don't think any HC is going to risk his job hiring a "good old boy" that isn't the best choice to help him win, and I don't think any owner is going to hire a HC he doesn't think can win for him. Now, they might not always be right, but I don't think it is an old boys club at all. The reason head coaches bounce from team to team occasionally, is because they are the best at what they do....
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 10:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't buy that one second. There are 32 HC jobs, 323 OC jobs, 32 DC jobs, 32 line coach jobs, etc. I don't think any HC is going to risk his job hiring a "good old boy" that isn't the best choice to help him win, and I don't think any owner is going to hire a HC he doesn't think can win for him. Now, they might not always be right, but I don't think it is an old boys club at all. The reason head coaches bounce from team to team occasionally, is because they are the best at what they do....

I can see that viewpoint but it is too clinical. Human nature will show that owners will act with some level of "comfort" - perhaps choose the coach with experience then the one without. A good example is the Celtics when they chose Brad Stevens as HC, almost everyone thought WTF??? But he quickly became one of the best head coaches in the NBA. 

With your argument you could translate that to any business and say every CEO is the best their is because it is the top position in the business world. But no, many (if not most) fail, they are not the best. Sometimes someone is very good for a short window of time or in a very specific spot. Many CEO's go from firm to firm and often fail all over the place but keep getting more chances. It happens. 

This is humans picking other humans, ergo subjective to human error. To say there is no coordinator or other coach or ANY college coach who could not do a better job than ML (or Hue Jackson or Doug Marrone or, etc etc) is ridiculous. MANY of the head coaches in the NFL are the best but many are outright average or weak or just plain bad. 

Coslet, Crennel, Marion Campbell, Kotite, Dave Shula, etc etc. Right now you can say Hue and Doug Marrone and a few others who simply are not that good. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote