Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redmond to start Sunday
(10-02-2020, 04:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So what do you guys look at when studying film of the o-line? Honest question, as I was busy scoring TDs!     Ninja

I'm not an expert and there are more educated posters on this board than me, but I like doing it for fun. I look at the gap setup of the defensive line and then I run through the play several times, watching each individual lineman in their assignment. On a pass play, I look for how well they do hand fighting or anticipating the rushers moves. Are they handling the bull rush well, or do they get pushed back into the QB? If the rusher is able to get the edge on a lineman, how well do they recover? Can they get his side and flush him out of the play? I also like to look for stunts and how well the interior line handles them (for instance, early in the game, Fred Johnson gave up pressure on a play where the Eagles stunted the defensive end to the inside. He committed too aggressively early on and allowed the end nearly untouched right past him. To his credit, they tried this again in the second quarter and he learned, and picked it up.) Also, checking out blitzes and how well they are picked up. 

The run game is a little more basic. Basically, how well does the lineman move his assignment and open running lanes. Does he get movement down the field, or is he being pushed back into the backfield? The Bengals run quite a bit of zone, so I try to look for how well defenders are being moved and how well the line can get to the second level. There hasn't been much to be excited about here, the Bengals really stink at running the ball and that's because the line isn't opening very many running lanes. It is pretty common for Mixon to be evading in the backfield, so he loses momentum and ends up crashing forward for a yard or two. 
Reply/Quote
In order of what is most likely to happen with Redmond:

1. 2 penalties
2. Hurt at some point
3. Isn’t any better than Price
4. Has a good game, no penalties, sacks, hits or pressures given up.
Reply/Quote
Is there some old rule...you can either choose to deploy an offensive line or just make the defenders count to 2 Mississippi before they can rush?

That may be off the books now.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just really hope Redmond regains his 2018 form where he posted a 60.8 pff rating while taking nearly 1000 snaps. That doesnt sound like the best pff rating, but its leaps and bounds over what Price and Johnson have posted this season.

But I still have very little confidence in Turner at this point. I'm not sure how well he can actually develop players, but so far it doesnt look good for him at all. Thanks for switching to pin and pull once the season was already lost last year, it really helped get Mixon going....but dude.... resign please lol.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 04:58 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: In order of what is most likely to happen with Redmond:

1. 2 penalties
2. Hurt at some point
3. Isn’t any better than Price
4. Has a good game, no penalties, sacks, hits or pressures given up.

Dunno if that's possible.

In Redmond's time as a starter (2018), he's had:
- 928 snaps
- PFF score of 60.8 (57.7 pass, 65.3 block)
- 3 sacks allowed
- 10 penalties

If you add in the 104 snaps he had in 2017, tack on 1 more sack and 2 more penalties.

By comparison, Price at guard is at:
2019 - 588 snaps with 41.9 PFF grade, 4 penalties, 3 sacks
2020 - 69 snaps with 38.8 PFF grade, 2 penalties, 1 sack

So Redmond was a better run blocker and pass protector than Price at OG.
Redmond has allowed the same number of sacks as Price but with 375 more snaps, so his sacks per snap ratio is lower.
Redmond has only been worse than Price when it comes to penalties.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 05:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Dunno if that's possible.

- 928 snaps
- 3 sacks allowed
- 10 penalties

If you add in the 104 snaps he had in 2017, tack on 1 more sack and 2 more penalties.

Redmond has allowed the same number of sacks as Price but with 375 more snaps, so his sacks per snap ratio is lower.

I meant just this first game. He hasn’t played in a game or scrimmage, so he’s bound to not be at his best.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 05:05 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I just really hope Redmond regains his 2018 form where he posted a 60.8 pff rating while taking nearly 1000 snaps. That doesnt sound like the best pff rating, but its leaps and bounds over what Price and Johnson have posted this season.

Those were his numbers on PEDs.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 04:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day that I was happy to see Redmond start...

Give it about 47 hours and get back to me...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 05:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Dunno if that's possible.

- 928 snaps
- 3 sacks allowed
- 10 penalties

If Redmond comes in and plays at 60.8 level or above, we'll definitely notice a difference in offensive production.  I realize that he's a guy that the team was trying to move on from, but if he can make the unit we have been rolling out there even a little bit better, why wouldn't we?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Seriously, How is Price so Bad??
Reply/Quote
Redmond is an upgrade by default..
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 04:20 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Can't be any worse..well...it COULD. Like free rushers AND false starts. But I don't think so. But I do wonder how much "rust" he has to shake off and what that's gonna look like.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You know its a sad state of affairs when the thought of Alex Redmond sounds kind of good. He likely will kill the game winning drive with a dumb false start.  
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 06:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If Redmond comes in and plays at 60.8 level or above, we'll definitely notice a difference in offensive production.  I realize that he's a guy that the team was trying to move on from, but if he can make the unit we have been rolling out there even a little bit better, why wouldn't we?

I did forget, but Fred pointed out that Redmond's full season of starting was when he was on PEDs.
So there's a chance he won't be even that good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 08:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I did forget, but Fred pointed out that Redmond's full season of starting was when he was on PEDs.
So there's a chance he won't be even that good.

I've never read the specifics of that PED violation. I mean, was he caught injecting Tren, or was it just a banned supplement?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I guess it can't hurt to give Redmond a shot, I mean at this point, why not? The only good things to happen this year so far with the offensive line is that we finally have Jonah Williams on the field and Isiah Prince opted out before the season started. That's the only bright spots I can think of right now.
Reply/Quote
How ya like me now?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 05:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How ya like me now?

Alex Redmond the savior?  Who'da thunk it.  Reaffirms my faith in never say never.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Why the hell wasn't he starting from day one?

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 05:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why the hell wasn't he starting from day one?

At least part of the time he was hurt or suspended or something.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 05:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why the hell wasn't he starting from day one?

I think he practiced like one week in training camp

But damn.....!!!

Who would have thought the answer to the question.. Who will be the OL savior week 4?  Would be Alex Freaking Redmond. Turns out the pt job of personal body guard for Marvin Lewis this offseason really paid off.
Reply/Quote