Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August 2023 thread
(08-05-2023, 06:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can't tell if that is Joan Adon or Clayton Kershaw.

If I knew all I had to do to break the shutout was being snarky, I would have done that awhile ago. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I hope the Reds can continue the comeback today. 6-3 in the 7th.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Pathetic.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 05:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Abbott hit a career high in innings pitched last start. From here on it is all just adding more.

Think we might be seeing him hit a bit of a rookie wall.

Yup

In his last two starts, 9 innings pitched total. He has given up 14 hits and 10 runs. 8 K's and 8 BB Perhaps the 70.2 innings is starting to wear on him? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 06:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Please make Nick Senzel go away.

I'm with you
Reply/Quote
3. McClain - 0 fer
4. Steer - 0 fer
5. Votto - 0 fer
6. CES - 0 fer
7. Bernson - 0 fer
8. Senzel - 0 fer

Hard to win like that

Senzel in his last 15 games is batting .138 with 4 hits and 4 RBI's, he has a couple HR's but other than that he's an easy out. I like many had high hopes for Senzel 4 years ago or whatever? And he had a little hot streak back in April and I was hoping somehow, he could finally live up a little bit to his billing. But it's just not there. Please put him back on bench ASAP

Votto just damn! Been a hell of a player for Reds, hell of a career. But you can't have a guy in the lineup batting .198 that hits a couple HR's every 10 -15 games or so.

With Fraley and India both on DL I know they're running out of options. Put Stephenson on 1st or something?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 08:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

In his last two starts, 9 innings pitched total. He has given up 14 hits and 10 runs. 8 K's and 8 BB Perhaps the 70.2 innings is starting to wear on him? 

He pitched 54 innings in the minors this year, too. So he's actually at 124.2 on the year, and he had never pitched more than 118 in a year before. 

The AA season ended Sept 18th last year. So he's already pitched more innings than he ever has, condensed to about a month and a half less time. It's not shocking that it looks like he's hitting a bit of a rookie wall.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 08:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 3. McClain - 0 fer
4. Steer - 0 fer
5. Votto - 0 fer
6. CES - 0 fer
7. Bernson - 0 fer
8. Senzel - 0 fer

Hard to win like that

Senzel in his last 15 games is batting .138 with 4 hits and 4 RBI's, he has a couple HR's but other than that he's an easy out. I like many had high hopes for Senzel 4 years ago or whatever? And he had a little hot streak back in April and I was hoping somehow, he could finally live up a little bit to his billing. But it's just not there. Please put him back on bench ASAP

Votto just damn! Been a hell of a player for Reds, hell of a career. But you can't have a guy in the lineup batting .198 that hits a couple HR's every 10 -15 games or so.

With Fraley and India both on DL I know they're running out of options. Put Stephenson on 1st or something?

They have nobody better to replace him. You focus on the .198 BA, which is indeed bad, but overall he came into the game with a 113 OPS+, meaning he is 13% above league average even when adjusting for GAPB being more hitter friendly.

For comparison, India is at 98, Stephenson (your solution for a replacement) is at 84.

Coming into today, Votto had the 5th highest OPS+ on the team, and only 2 points behind Fraley for 4th.

You minimized it down to "a couple HRs ever 10-15 games or so" but his current pace this year, if given a 600 PA season, would be around 47 home runs and 123 RBI. Even with a bad BA, that still has a lot of value. A .301 ISO doesn't grow on trees as coming into today that was 7th in all of baseball (min 100 PA).

On the topic of his bad BA, Votto actually came into today hitting .371 with runners in scoring position this year. A 1.450 OPS. His problem is actually the inverse of India who can't hit for the life of him with runners on this year, Votto is hitting .136 with nobody on base.

Reply/Quote
It's time to pull the pug on Abbott.

It's unfortunate that we need him badly, but he's too important to the future of the organization. If they get him hurt running him out there until his arm is a wet noodle, then they are moronic.

This is the downside of not acquiring a starter at the deadline. Everything has broken the wrong way since. Lively is hurt, Phillips is walking everyone, Weaver is Weaver, and Abbott needs rest. Even a cheaper journeyman would serve them well right now.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 10:58 PM)samhain Wrote: It's time to pull the pug on Abbott.

It's unfortunate that we need him badly, but he's too important to the future of the organization.  If they get him hurt running him out there until his arm is a wet noodle, then they are moronic.  

This is the downside of not acquiring a starter at the deadline.  Everything has broken the wrong way since.  Lively is hurt, Phillips is walking everyone, Weaver is Weaver, and Abbott needs rest.  Even a cheaper journeyman would serve them well right now.

I so wish they had gotten one or even two. And yes Lively is on the 15 day DL.
Reply/Quote
Get a WIN today and avoid being swept at home....Then WIN the Miami Marlins series in Cincy......DAMAGE CONTROL, Salvage This Home Stand for the paying customers going to the games, who are putting money in the bank for the 2024 year team. Fans have turned out in 2023 for first time since 2019, and so keep putting up some Wins at Home. I don't care how many they win on the road, but WIN some more games for the money spending fans at GABP.

Get a WIN today

This may be a good day for Bell to get himself tossed out of the game. Pick up first base and throw it into the outfield like Lou did. Kick over a water cooler. WAKE THIS TEAM UP. It's not time to go home, they have almost 2 months still to play.

GOOD NEWS : Hunter Greene pitched 2.2 innings in Louisville Triple A yesterday, which is like a first start in Spring Training. They have to get him stretched out again and work his innings up as in Spring Training, but Reds are hoping for a Hunter Greene return in mid to late August. I might suggest to Reds that when Greene is ready to toss 5 innings, he might as well do it for the Reds. He could get reinjured just as much at Louisville. So when it is time to let him try to go 5 innings, let Greene try that with Reds, not Bats. So let Greene pitch 5 days from now and see if he can go 3 or 4 innings. If so, then let Greene rest another 5 days and have him start for Reds around August 16th on a limited pitch count, but Reds need the start by Greene more than the Bats do.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I hope not doing much at the deadline doesn't cost this team the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2023, 09:16 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I so wish they had gotten one or even two. And yes Lively is on the 15 day DL.

It was tough watching Lively get pounded in his last outing.  You just knew something was wrong with him, but he unfortunately had to take one for the team (which I think is a questionable practice for a player health standpoint).  Hes not prime Roger Clemens, but he's a better pitcher than he was in Chicago.  The signs were there.

The thing they've always been missing, even before we thought they might be good, is a veteran innings eater.  There are several young guys in-house that have high enough ceilings to become top-of-rotation guys in time.  Greene, Ashcraft, Abbott, and Lodolo, maybe even Phillips should provide a more than solid foundation.  There's not a need to shell out huge money for a starter.  Not if things go according to plan.  

They need a Bronson Arroyo or Wade Miley type.  A guy that's better than average most days and regularly pitches 6 or 7 innings would be a wise investment.  They aren't necessarily bargain bin players, but they're well within the budget at this point.  Do that, and get some pen up grades and you do a lot to help your young staff when they need rest or have a rough outing.  

It's really not a tough ask, and it does a lot to let them bring the kids along the right way.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2023, 11:05 AM)kevin Wrote: This may be a good day for Bell to get himself tossed out of the game.  Pick up first base and throw it into the outfield like Lou did.  Kick over a water cooler.  WAKE THIS TEAM UP.   It's not time to go home, they have almost 2 months still to play.

Guess you forgot he was tossed out of Thursday's game vs the Cubs. Actually i'm still very shocked he wasn't tossed Friday on the runner interference no call. Pretty obvious when the runner is in fair territory the whole time running to first and it directly cost us the game.
Reply/Quote
CES hitting 4th today. Never expected to see that since he's not hitting much right now.
Reply/Quote
If I’m seeing this correctly, they are starting recent taxi-squad call-up Lyon Richardson on the mound today for his Big League debut. I hope he does well, I hear he has electric stuff!
Reply/Quote
Well we get to see what RHP Lyon Richardson is all about today? Don't really understand why you have Fairchild in lineup over Steer ?
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2023, 12:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well we get to see what RHP Lyon Richardson is all about today? Don't really understand why you have Fairchild in lineup over Steer ?

More confused at why Senzel keeps being in the lineup. Guy whined publically for more playing time and is seemingly starting every day now... And being absolutely terrible while doing so.

Reply/Quote
Good lord 2 pitches 2 homers.
Reply/Quote
And he gets screwed out of a K. Welcome to the majors kid.
Reply/Quote