Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds July 2023 thread
What can I say? I figured by now we'd be 20 games out and we're in 1st place !!

This is such a fun team to watch, pretty close to baseball of old. Steals, aggressive base running, it's not just HR or nothing. Summer is going to be such fun this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 08:19 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What can I say? I figured by now we'd be 20 games out and we're in 1st place !!

This is such a fun team to watch, pretty close to baseball of old. Steals, aggressive base running, it's not just HR or nothing. Summer is going to be such fun this season.
I've always said that I'm glad I'm not in the business of predicting the futures of young men's athletic careers.  I'd definitely starve to death..lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Every now and then an entire team starts firing on all cylinders even when everyone is predicting gloom and doom. That's a hell of a lot more fun than seeing a team of all-stars win..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 09:39 AM)grampahol Wrote: Every now and then an entire team starts firing on all cylinders even when everyone is predicting gloom and doom. That's a hell of a lot more fun than seeing a team of all-stars win..

For sure!!

I haven't had as much fun as a Reds fan since the 70's. Yes 1990 was good but this is even better.
Reply/Quote
Well

I only got to watch 1st couple innings and just got home and, oh boy. Can't win em all
Reply/Quote
Classic bullpen self destruction.

It happens.
Reply/Quote
Well, Suck Farmer showed up today. ruined a great performance from Williamson.

Alec Mills with a shitty first impression. Pretty much put the game out of reach.

Votto appears done and looks like he has no answers.

I've kept this back because they've been playing well but Bell's lineups are a joke. 4 lefties in the lineup, 2 sets of back to back lefties.
#5 Fraley
#6 Votto

#9 Benson
#1 Friedl
There's also 2 sets of back to back righties.
#2 McLain
#3 India

#7 Steer
#8 Stephenson
That's just setting up segments of your lineup for the other team to shut down or forcing yourself to use your bench.

Against a right handed pitcher
L Friedl
R McLain
S De La Cruz
R Steer
L Fraley
R Stephenson
L  Votto
R India
L Benson

Against a left handed pitcher
L Friedl
R McLain
R Steer
S De La Cruz
R Stephenson
R Senzel
L Votto
R India
R Newman

Friedl is the spark plug and doesn't seem to struggle against lefties. Quit moving him around if you're going to keep him in the lineup.

Abbott going tomorrow in his second to last start before the break. If there are no rainouts, Abbott is due to face Corbin Burnes in the opener of the final series before the break . . . they also face Milwaukee coming out of the break.

Remaining Reds rotation before the break
Abbott vs ???? - was supposed to be Darvish a few days ago
Weaver vs Irvin - @ Washington
???? vs Corbin
Ashcraft vs Gray
Williamson vs Gore
Abbott vs Burnes - @ Milwaukee
Weaver vs Rea
???? vs Teheran

Coming out of the break vs Milwaukee, I think you go Ashcraft 7 days rest, Abbott 6 days rest, Williamson 8 days rest . . . maybe even switch Abbott and Williamson to give all of them 7 days rest. 
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 08:29 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, Suck Farmer showed up today. ruined a great performance from Williamson.

Alec Mills with a shitty first impression. Pretty much put the game out of reach.

Friedl is the spark plug and doesn't seem to struggle against lefties. Quit moving him around if you're going to keep him in the lineup.

Yup

And Yup

Since those first few games Votto has fell flat on his face. He doesn't look comfortable, at all. Give him a couple games off or something? I'd love to see Votto go out with a bang, butt. If he's going to bat .158 or whatever he's been these last several games? Get him outta there

And I also agree with moving India down in the lineup.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 08:29 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, Suck Farmer showed up today. ruined a great performance from Williamson.

I've kept this back because they've been playing well but Bell's lineups are a joke. 4 lefties in the lineup, 2 sets of back to back lefties.
#5 Fraley
#6 Votto

#9 Benson
#1 Friedl
There's also 2 sets of back to back righties.
#2 McLain
#3 India

#7 Steer
#8 Stephenson
That's just setting up segments of your lineup for the other team to shut down or forcing yourself to use your bench.

Against a right handed pitcher
L Friedl
R McLain
S De La Cruz
R Steer
L Fraley
R Stephenson
L  Votto
R India
L Benson

Against a left handed pitcher
L Friedl
R McLain
R Steer
S De La Cruz
R Stephenson
R Senzel
L Votto
R India
R Newman

Abbott going tomorrow in his second to last start before the break. If there are no rainouts, Abbott is due to face Corbin Burnes in the opener of the final series before the break . . . they also face Milwaukee coming out of the break.

Remaining Reds rotation before the break
Abbott vs ???? - was supposed to be Darvish a few days ago
Weaver vs Irvin - @ Washington
???? vs Corbin
Ashcraft vs Gray
Williamson vs Gore
Abbott vs Burnes - @ Milwaukee
Weaver vs Rea
???? vs Teheran

Coming out of the break vs Milwaukee, I think you go Ashcraft 7 days rest, Abbott 6 days rest, Williamson 8 days rest . . . maybe even switch Abbott and Williamson to give all of them 7 days rest. 

I think Bell is coaching to protect egos at the moment. Moving India down would be a knock on his confidence after he apparently already felt a little weird when he heard fans discussing trading him because of unproven rookies coming up.

I think from a gameplay standpoint, moving India down is the objectively correct thing to do, but from a team management and locker room standpoint, Bell may fear damaging India's ego.

Also, it's worth mentioning that India had a similar issue last season where he was pretty cold in the month of June.
9 for 54, .167/.250/.296/.546
But he rebounded in July, .290/.365/.527/.892.
And, as a rookie, India batted .319/.470/.527/.998 in July. It was basically the month that caused him to win the rookie of the year.

So who knows. Maybe India bounces back in a big way in July. 

He started the month off well with a grand slam after all Tongue

As for Votto, I don't know what's going on with him. I feel bad because he's the face of our franchise, but he may be done. I still think they should give him a few weeks to acclimate, but it is discouraging, for sure. His OBP is still .300 though so...it's not like he's a dead spot in the line up. 5 BBs and 2 HBPs will help bolster a subpar batting average through 10 games.
Reply/Quote
Votto is still a good player, but might need some time off. Reds were bound to lose a game this weekend. Let's win the series against the Padres.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Well the Alec Mills experiment is over already. He was dfa'd and Salazar sent back to AAA with Derek Law and Fairchild back with the Reds.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 12:48 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Well the Alec Mills experiment is over already. He was dfa'd and Salazar sent back to AAA with Derek Law and Fairchild back with the Reds.

Mills got roughed up pretty bad from looking at the box.

Hopefully Abbott can log some innings and keep us in it today. 
Reply/Quote
A bit of good news:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/cincinnati-reds-pitcher-nick-lodolo-gets-good-news-regarding-return-from-leg-injury/ar-AA1dkh9p?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=a8e152816ab2460db4dcfa5e69e5a691&ei=7
Reply/Quote
Go Reds....Win Series Today

Here is where I differ with the Oakland GM in Money Ball. He said if you don't win the World Series, the rest of the season doesn't matter. I say that is Bull. Come Halloween there will only be 2 teams playing and 28 teams finished. And it is Halloween, more football season. My Money Ball is give the Fans a good team on Memorial Day and 4th of July in baseball season, not football season. Reds have did that in 2023 after failing at it in 2022. To say 29 teams had a bad season is stupid after Halloween. Baseball is mostly a Summer game, so be playing good ball Memorial Day and 4th of July.

Reds are on the road 4th of July, so this Sunday 2nd of July rubber game of the Padres series is The Reds 4th of July Game. Win it for the large crowd of Holiday Fans in Cincinnati today rooting for THE FIRST PLACE REDS.

If Reds WIN TODAY, to me it is HUGE. There is more than World Series. More than All Star Game. Giving home Fans a team to enjoy Memorial Day and 4th of July are Big Baseball Days.

So GO REDS TODAY. For The Fans In The Stands, GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Abbott on fire but the game is probably about to be delayed because Cincinnati just went under a thunderstorm warning. Hopefully not a long delay.
Reply/Quote
Ugh.
Reply/Quote
I hope Abbott is always this consistent and emerges as an ace from year to year.
Reply/Quote
Great win and great series win but you just can't be giving up runs after getting the first 2 outs of an inning. That's been happening too much lately.
Reply/Quote
REDS DID IT

Reds WON their 4th of July Home Game. They go on the road for the 4th.

Winning the series on a Holiday Sunday for the sell out Cincinnati Fans, and those watching on TV, or listening on radio.

Abbott great start. Major Homers by Steer and Stephenson.

FIRST PLACE and a GREAT HOME HOLIDAY WEEKEND WIN....REDS DID IT.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Glad we pulled out the win but man am I already sick of seeing the corpse of Joey Votto taking up someone-who-can-produce’s ABs. Wasn’t he quoted saying he’d hang it up if he didn’t have it anymore? Not trying to attack the guy, but we need all the offense we can get with this spotty and injured pitching rotation if we expect to keep winning. Watching day after day O-fers in the 6-hole is frustrating for me as a fan. I appreciate all he’s done in his time here but its time to pass the torch. I don’t see a Last-Ride-Albert-Pujols season out him.
Reply/Quote