Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds July 2023 thread
I get what you're saying dawg, but. In the end I just feel our pitching will be our downfall. The top teams every season, or dang near every team always has upper tier pitching. And I'm just afraid this magic on offense isn't going to be enough down the road.

AS I've said a thousand times it seems, LOL. I realize it's probably next year before we're a true contender for the big show, but... I'd hate to be just on the cusp this season and falter because the pitching staff just doesn't have it. Bullpen is exhausted by Sept. and so on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 01:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get what you're saying dawg, but. In the end I just feel our pitching will be our downfall. The top teams every season, or dang near every team always has upper tier pitching. And I'm just afraid this magic on offense isn't going to be enough down the road.

AS I've said a thousand times it seems, LOL. I realize it's probably next year before we're a true contender for the big show, but... I'd hate to be just on the cusp this season and falter because the pitching staff just doesn't have it. Bullpen is exhausted by Sept. and so on.

That's true. I'm just worried about the asking price.

When we traded Tyler Mahle, he had 1 and a half seasons left of control and his stat line for the season was 5-7 W-L, 4.40 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 2.9 K/BB, 9.83 K/9 and and ERA+ of 102 (100 being average). 

Those numbers were right around his average career numbers at the time as well. 

That player cost the Twins Spencer Steer and Christian Encarnacion-Strand, as well as a third player that we flipped for Will Benson (plus a 2022 2nd round draftee). 

At the time, those were the Twins' #7, #18 and #23 overall prospects. CES was the #23 prospect but, at the time, he was hitting .333/.400/.685 in AA ball after being promoted following a .296/.370/.599 campaign in A+. The rankings only had him that low because they had not yet caught up to how amazing of a prospect he was, which he promptly showed this year.

If we were to trade for a similar pitcher, it may end up costing us something along the lines of Chase Petty (or CES, they are our #7 and #6 prospects, respectively), Austin Hendrick (2020 first round pick, #19 prospect), and Lyon Richardson (#27 prospect but, like CES last year, the rankings have not caught up to his success this year, currently sporting a 2.25 ERA in 13 starts in AA).

It's definitely a tough decision. I wouldn't want to be in Nick Krall's shoes for the decision of whether or not we go for it this year.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully the rest of the offense keeps rolling and benching Votto when he has back-to-back games with homers and just had a 3-hit game doesn't bite them. Don't love benching guys who just got red hot after having a slump, baseball always seems like such a game of momentum.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Senzel makes a game saving catch in the 9th and first pitch he sees in the 10th he crushes for a 2 run homer. Happens everytime!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 06:39 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Senzel makes a game saving catch in the 9th and first pitch he sees in the 10th he crushes for a 2 run homer. Happens everytime!

Good teams make the plays?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
The Reds are 1-0 when I watch them play on TV this season.

I'm assuming this Friedel is related to Ryan Friedel? (Too lazy to google)
Reply/Quote
It's A Capitol 4th. Reds win all 4 games. How Sweep It Is.

It's nice going to Milwaukee with this lead in First Place to face 2nd place Brewers.

Sims and Diaz used today, but that's OK. Reds built up a lead on Brewers as they took 4 from last place Washington DC Nationals. Don't lose to last place teams, and Reds didn't. Reds were tied with Brewers but built up a cushion sweeping Nationals.

The crowd was dead in DC. That will change tomorrow in Milwaukee in a Play-Off atmosphere.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
On to Milwaukee and the first show down. We've got the red hot Abbott going 1st. Should be some real good baseball.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 10:56 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Plus, any trade will likely occur around the end of the month since teams will want to wait to the last second to make sure they're getting the best deal, so we may be stuck with this rotation as it is until the end of July anyway.
I've been suggesting that as a possibility for awhile. Some aren't as accepting as you that there's not a lot available. Almost all of the teams looking to trade to a contender will be asking too much for mediocre talent.
(07-06-2023, 01:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get what you're saying dawg, but. In the end I just feel our pitching will be our downfall. The top teams every season, or dang near every team always has upper tier pitching. And I'm just afraid this magic on offense isn't going to be enough down the road.

In the post season, it's a three or four man rotation. If they can get there healthy, Abbott, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft. Nobody that they can realistically trade for will beat out those four.
Our starting five to start the season Greene - IL, Lodolo - IL, Ashcraft - just came back from IL, Overton - IL, Cessa - DFA. They're still in first place even though they've been using bubblegum and stickers to keep it all together. The use of the AAA pitchers has truly made this an organization wide success to this point.
(07-06-2023, 01:43 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's true. I'm just worried about the asking price.

It's definitely a tough decision. I wouldn't want to be in Nick Krall's shoes for the decision of whether or not we go for it this year.
@ 6:05, they start talking about the trade deadline . . . they've had calls . . . no one wants to deal right now.

There needs to be two interested parties to a trade and teams with semi-decent starters don't care about Cincy's situation. You can't force a trade with teams that aren't interested in parting with their pitchers right now. These GMs will lose status with their owner if they trade a C level pitcher early and a D level pitcher gets a bigger haul at the deadline. People can get pissy about it all they want, but other teams long term plans don't fit Cincinnati's short term needs.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 07:08 PM)basballguy Wrote: The Reds are 1-0 when I watch them play on TV this season.  

I'm assuming this Friedel is related to Ryan Friedel?  (Too lazy to google)

I think you're thinking of Ryan Freel and obviously no not related.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 06:39 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Senzel makes a game saving catch in the 9th and first pitch he sees in the 10th he crushes for a 2 run homer. Happens everytime!

That was an amazing catch and those series of events needs to be in the Reds highlights re-cap for this awesome season.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 07:08 PM)basballguy Wrote: The Reds are 1-0 when I watch them play on TV this season.  

I'm assuming this Friedel is related to Ryan Friedel?  (Too lazy to google)

Put it on your resume.. It's sure to get you a great job.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I missed this, musta been on one of my three bathroom trips during the game?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/cincinnati-reds-rookie-elly-de-la-cruz-continues-to-amaze-people-makes-unreal-throw/ar-AA1dxilK?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5656bf4aa0fd4864b513bb51cf77cc33&ei=11

The guys pic is in the dictionary beside the word WOW
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 08:14 PM)cinci4life Wrote: I think you're thinking of Ryan Freel and obviously no not related.

RIP

Reply/Quote
I feel good about the Brewers series. Hope we can win 2 of 3 at least. Unfortunately, I think the All Star break might cool the Reds off. It is a long season so we need to continue to win series.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 08:14 PM)cinci4life Wrote: I think you're thinking of Ryan Freel and obviously no not related.

Yep...that's how bad of a fan i am these days
Reply/Quote
I believe that’s 20 consecutive games now with a HR. Franchise record is 21.

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 09:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I missed this, musta been on one of my three bathroom trips during the game?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/cincinnati-reds-rookie-elly-de-la-cruz-continues-to-amaze-people-makes-unreal-throw/ar-AA1dxilK?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5656bf4aa0fd4864b513bb51cf77cc33&ei=11

The guys pic is in the dictionary beside the word WOW
Three trips to the bathroom? That's some competitive drinking right there. Drunk

I'm impressed.

And, oh yeah. It was a nice throw.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2023, 03:48 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Three trips to the bathroom? That's some competitive drinking right there. Drunk

I'm impressed.

And, oh yeah. It was a nice throw.

Doctor checked the other day. The blood is getting pretty high in my alcohol content. Cheers
Reply/Quote