Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds July 2023 thread

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
The Reds optioned RHP Brett Kennedy to Louisville and activated RHP Tony Santillian from 60 day DL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2023, 07:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Reds optioned RHP Brett Kennedy to Louisville and activated RHP Tony Santillian from 60 day DL

Santillian pitched an inning yesterday.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2023, 07:31 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Santillian pitched an inning yesterday.

missed that I guess?
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2023, 08:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: missed that I guess?

9th inning i believe.
Reply/Quote
Kennedy was kept around until word on Lively came back positive. If Lively was still out until after the break, Kennedy was going to be Sunday's starter and Santillan would have taken Lively's spot.

When I saw Lively in the dugout in Washington, I knew he was coming back soon . . . the Reds have a policy of injured players not traveling with the team with the rare exceptions of Votto and other clubhouse leaders like Bronson Arroyo, etc.. Lively doesn't have that status in the clubhouse.

Regardless of how this season finishes up, the Reds should fly or bus everyone involved in Louisville, Chattanooga and Dayton into Cincinnati for a BBQ weekend. This team is so young right now and so tight, this might help future players when they do break into the show. Most of the MLB Reds have recently been playing in those cities so seeing everyone in a relaxed atmosphere instead of only when almost everyone in the franchise is fighting for a job in Spring Training might help keep that comradery going for years to come.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Not good already. Abbott giving up 2 runs in each of the first 2 innings. Never saw that coming.
Reply/Quote
For the love of god can we stop getting picked off bases!!!
Reply/Quote
VOTTO STILL BANGS!!!!
Reply/Quote
And Abbott gives those 2 runs right back. Unreal.
Reply/Quote
Shame for Abbott, but all pitchers put up a stinker every now and then.

Bell REALLY needs to take India out of the #3 spot already.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm not blaming the strike zone but there literally seems to be a different zone for each team especially the bottom. Seems like every time a pitch is an inch or two below the zone for a Reds hitter it gets called a strike but there's been several times a pitch has clipped the bottom of the zone for Brewers hitters and gets called a ball. I'm pretty shocked Bell hasn't blown his stack yet.
Reply/Quote
End of 7th inning . . . being outhit 13-3

This looks just like the first three games against the brewers in Cincinnati. They were clearly a level above Cincinnati for the entire series before Abbott shut them down.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
This home plate ump can take his strike zone and go to hell.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 12:07 AM)cinci4life Wrote: This home plate ump can take his strike zone and go to hell.

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 12:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

That's pretty darn bad. There's been quite a few umpires this year I have seen make calls and cringe at. Even when we benefitted from them.

- - - 
Side note: I knew he was struggling, but I didn't realize how bad... India is hitting .188 over the last 28 days.

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 12:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Kinda surprised it wasn't worse than this.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2023, 10:34 PM)cinci4life Wrote: And Abbott gives those 2 runs right back. Unreal.

Yup, it's too bad he has his first meltdown vs. Brewers but I can't complain about him. He'll bounce back

I hope
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2023, 10:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Shame for Abbott, but all pitchers put up a stinker every now and then.

Bell REALLY needs to take India out of the #3 spot already.

I guess it's just he's one of the leaders and they hate to demote him, kinda ??

But he's only batting .158 with 16 strikeouts over last 15 games. If he didn't have the three HR's his stats would be well just bad. If it keeps up much longer they're going to have to move him.

Your 3rd batter is supposed to be the best hitter on the team.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 04:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I guess it's just he's one of the leaders and they hate to demote him, kinda ??

But he's only batting .158 with 16 strikeouts over last 15 games. If he didn't have the three HR's his stats would be well just bad. If it keeps up much longer they're going to have to move him.

Your 3rd batter is supposed to be the best hitter on the team.

Even with the homers, he's pretty routinely 8th in OPS in the lineup. Same with tonight, the only person with a lower OPS than India in the lineup is playing Catcher and batting 8th.

It's not a demotion. I would argue it's worse to put a guy into a position where he's clearly not meant to be and leaving him there to just flounder. Give Fraley or Steer a chance.

Funny thing is India has actually been good when there's nobody on base, hitting .270/.366/.456 even with the slump. Just isn't a #2-#5 hitter.

- - - - -

I think the current popular theory is your #2 hitter should be your best hitter as it gives your #1 hitter (should be your best OBP guy) the chance to move into scoring position or score on an xbh, or if the #1 fails to get on but the #2 still does it gives you enough outs that your #3 hitter (2nd best) and #4 hitter (power) have an AB with a player on. Also the #2 hitter gets more PA than the #3 over time.

1: OBP (+speed)
2: Best
3: 2nd Best
4: Power
5: 3rd Best/2nd Power
6-8: Whomever
9: Speed

I think the best hitters moved to #2 when the math started showing that sac bunts were taking runs off your board over the course of a year and should be reserved for very specific scenarios. That and the reduction in hit-and-runs made the #2 be less of your "contact guy".

Reply/Quote