Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reds June 2023 thread
(06-06-2023, 10:23 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Bell got tossed and apparently Young did too. Knew Bell would before it happened. Torres was bad especially on the outside part of the plate. Gonsolin was getting strike calls on pitches that were going over the chalk of the opposite batter box meanwhile Reds pitchers couldn't buy that call.

One of the worst one sided umpiring jobs I've ever witnessed. He was calling strikes for Dodgers on balls against right handers way out into the left handers box. Meanwhile our pitchers miss out there by 1/2 an inch, crickets.

That guy needs fired.

Poetic justice that we won.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've been watching Reds since 1966. TONIGHT was one of the best Come From Behind Wins in all those decades. The almost sellout crowd got just about everything in tonight's game. GO REDS.....One of the best because high paid All-Stars on LA Dodgers were way ahead, but exciting young Reds amazing comeback....Did this team get fired up when Bell had rhubarb with umpire and thrown out of game ?
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 11:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: One of the worst one sided umpiring jobs I've ever witnessed. He was calling strikes for Dodgers on balls against right handers way out into the left handers box. Meanwhile our pitchers miss out there by 1/2 an inch, crickets.

That guy needs fired.

Poetic justice that we won.

Casali took one of those strike calls in the 9th that was up and away and i thought at that point it was going to cost us the comeback. Next pitch was almost exactly the same spot and called a ball and all i could say is "is this guy for real?"
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 11:37 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Casali took one of those strike calls in the 9th that was up and away and i thought at that point it was going to cost us the comeback. Next pitch was almost exactly the same spot and called a ball and all i could say is "is this guy for real?"

Saw that

That guy was just flat out awful. His umpiring needs a serious look from MLB. The ball that hit Fraley for the tying run probably would have been a strike for a RH batter.
Reply/Quote
There was a serious buzz in the stadium that was very evident on TV. I haven't heard a crowd like that in Cincy for awhile. The opening segment of the Reds Live post game show was the most insane crowd that I've ever seen.

Gotta throw more props to the bullpen. After the grand slam, one hit in the last five innings pitched and even Salazar picked up a couple of strikeouts along with the win.

What a year for rookies in Cincinnati
Steer
then McClain
then Williamson
then Abbott
then De La Cruz
sprinkle in Salazar and Hopkins along with other young players playing well like Friedl and Fairchild . . . this team may not have room for veterans when CES and Marte come up. Where is Myers going to get at bats? Barerro? Votto?

In only 20 games, Matt "The Bat" McClain has scored 17 runs . . . tying him with Kevin Newman(44 games) and TJ Friedl(42 games) for 7th on the team. 
The six Reds ahead of him . . .
20 Fairchild (55 games) - I'm liking him more and more. He looks like he belongs and is pretty smooth in the outfield
22 Senzel (45 games)
22 Fraley (54 games)
26 Stephenson (59 games)
33 Steer (58 games) - this dude is a pretty advanced hitter for a rookie
48 India (61 games) - if he continues his current pace, McClain would have 51 runs scored after 60 games

And it looks like the Blue Jays stole my idea about sending Ashcraft to A ball with sending former stud pitcher Alek Manoah to their training complex. 
https://www.mlb.com/news/alek-manoah-optioned-to-florida-complex-league
If Ashcraft doesn't get his head straightened out, this would be even better than my idea of a stint in A ball. No pressure.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see them trade some combination of Newman/Stephenson/Barrero or all 3 for a pitcher or two.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:15 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd love to see them trade some combination of Newman/Stephenson/Barrero or all 3 for a pitcher or two.

Trading Stephenson right now would be the definition of selling low. In 166 ABs last season, he was hitting .319/.372/.482/.854 with 1.5 WAR in just 50 games.

He struggled with injuries, the majority of which were considered "freak accidents" like a ball ricocheting off of his collarbone. 

He's coming back from that season ending injury and has been in a bit of a rut. His lines are down .246/.332/.351/.683 as he has not been able to find his power stroke that he had last season.

Pair that with the whole "limiting his catching days" thing to protect him from further injury, and his future is very cloudy.

I don't know what you'd get for him in this state, but it'd be nowhere near the value of Stephenson if he just rebounds to his 2022 pre-injury self.

The last two games, he has shown some life with 4 hits including a homer in 8 ABs.

I say we let him ride this season out and let him work through his issues. At his best, he's an elite hitting catcher with good pop in his bat. Those kinds of players don't come around too often.

But yea, Barrero and Newman can go haha. Get what you can for them :)
Reply/Quote
Elly with his first bomb 458ft!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 08:30 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Elly with his first bomb 458ft!!!!!!

That ball was crushed!! damn near left the park, WOW
Reply/Quote
Whole
Lee
Shit
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Cycle watch is on. McLain with a single and triple, Elly with a homer and triple. This might finally happen tonight.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 09:12 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Cycle watch is on. McLain with a single and triple, Elly with a homer and triple. This might finally happen tonight.

I'm just blown away with Elly. WOW And McClain is no slouch either. I'm pumped
Reply/Quote
BENSON WALK OFF HOMER!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:39 PM)cinci4life Wrote: BENSON WALK OFF HOMER!!!!!!!!!

They did it again

This team is just electric right now
Reply/Quote
Have to wonder if the Dodgers take exception to Benson's celebration before he left the plate area? Interesting to see if there are any fireworks in the game tomorrow.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:51 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Have to wonder if the Dodgers take exception to Benson's celebration before he left the plate area? Interesting to see if there are any fireworks in the game tomorrow.

They've been plunking Steer steady. Is there some kind of bad blood there?
Reply/Quote
The last 2 games against the Dodgers have been very entertaining. Our young talent out dueling the veterans. I said in another post this could be our year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They did it again

This team is just electric right now

There is this crazy buzz about the team right now and it's something that i haven't felt in a loooong time. So much good, young, exciting talent. Not just a little bit of winning but there's an atmosphere that feels like they're ready to blow up. 

Hopefully it's not just a bit of gas buildup. Shocked

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Nice wins over LA Dodgers. Reds have won the series. A chance to get THE SWEEP Thursday afternoon.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 12:45 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There is this crazy buzz about the team right now and it's something that i haven't felt in a loooong time. So much good, young, exciting talent. Not just a little bit of winning but there's an atmosphere that feels like they're ready to blow up. 

Hopefully it's not just a bit of gas buildup. Shocked

Yep.  

Saw an interesting post from Lance McAllister (I think).  

Once this season is over and the Votto/Moose deals are done, the Reds will basically have zero significant major league contracts on the books.  Guys like McClain, EDLC, Steer, Freidl, and CES won't come due until 2030.  India and Stephenson are arb-eligible soon, but that would only put them down for 3 mil a year or so, which is basically nothing.  Greene signed his deal, which is the outlier, but it's still extremely team-friendly.  Most of these guys aren't even making a million a year.

Payroll will be about 45-50 mil.

People want to know how Bob and Phil can bring the fans back from the toxic 2022 season.  Well, they're on the way.  The stadium is already filling up.  I bought tickets for my son and I Tuesday and the lines for 1-2-3 night were forever long.  I doubt they expected that.  If the ownership uses the flexible payroll to obtain whatever they may need (spoiler alert-it's pitching) in the offseason, they'll have no problem getting fans to the park and selling merchandise.  

It's like the Bengals.  They got a superstar to build around.  They then proceeded to act like a real NFL team and build around him.  Now there's a wait list for tickets and a rabid fanbase, even a national profile.  Fans spend money to see good players and teams.  it's not a advanced calculus to figure it out.
Reply/Quote