Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reds June 2023 thread
Reds are now just 1/2 a game out of first with the Brewers beating the Pirates. Brewers in first at 35-34, Reds are 35-35, and Pirates are 34-34.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 11:35 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Reds win 2-1!!!

So sweet

Abbott 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 17.2 innings pitched. And man did we need it with all the crap we're going through with our starters.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Abbott (3-0) allowed four hits in six innings to become the first MLB pitcher since 1893 when the mound was moved to its current distance to open his career with three consecutive scoreless starts of at least five innings.
From ESPN recap
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 11:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So sweet

Abbott 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 17.2 innings pitched. And man did we need it with all the crap we're going through with our starters.

It's a shame that Corbin Carroll qualifies as a rookie this year (he had 106 ABS last season, which is just below the threshold of 130), because if it weren't for him I'd be 99% sure that the NL Rookie of the Year would have been a Red. Between McLain, EDLC (assuming he picks up the pace), Steer, Abbott and, in the near future, CES, the Reds have the most talented pool of rookies I have ever seen. It's actually remarkable.
Reply/Quote
Nice shot by Stephenson. He needed that and the line drive single in the 9th. They were two of their only five hits. I hope Steer is OK. He was showing Senzel after the game where it still hurt up near his wrist even though he was hit on his elbow. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets tomorrow off.

Good, timely hitting by this team was very lacking early on in this season, not so much anymore. Crucial RBI double by Newman to just barely score Benson. What an amazing throw from left field by Dubon. Perfect one hop, and mid-hop so it's easy to read for the catcher, but just a hair late. It kind of reminded me of when Benson was thrown out trying to stretch a double into a triple a couple of games ago in KC. I wasn't upset with him for breaking the cardinal rule "Never make the first out or third out at third." What I didn't like was his pouting afterwards and feeling down because this team had a mindset that started way back in Spring Training of "Put pressure on the defense/Be aggressive on the base path". It took a perfect relay throw by Witt Jr. to get him at third, anything less than a perfect throw on that play and he's safe. Keep your head up, son. Those negative vibes can be just as infectious as the good vibes.

I was confused as to why Abbott was pulled with only 83 pitches gone. He was awesome . . . again. Part Tom Browning, part Orel Hershiser and, except for the walks, part Greg Maddux. He's like a more talented Tanner Roark, who battled and battled every batter he faced as a Red. Abbott comes right at them, forcing them to swing.

I was a little pissed Abbott was pulled when Farmer gave up the double but then he struck out the next two batters to end the inning. I said after a relaxing exhale, "Well done and I guess Abbott doesn't have too much of a work load to recover from before his next start."

Six game winning streak, all on the road, and that's part of them being a combined 11-2 on their last road trip and this current one.

Upcoming series after two more in Houston . . .
vs Colorado x3 plus day off
vs Atlanta x3
@ Baltimore x3 plus day off - last day off before all-star break
vs San Diego x3
@ Washington x4
@ Milwaukee x3
All-Star - then a 10 game home stand followed by a 10 game road trip
vs Milwaukee x3
vs San Francisco x4
vs Arizona x3
@ Milwaukee x3 plus day off - 9 games out of 16 against Milwaukee then don't see them again
@ Los Angeles x3
@ Chicago Cubs x4

remaining division games
6 vs Pittsburgh
6 vs St Louis
8 vs Chicago (2 four game series)
9 vs Milwaukee

PLUS . . . if they are in the race late in the season, they get a major break at the end to help keep their bullpen fresh
vs Minnesota x3 then a day off after 9 straight(6 road/3 home) - about 50 hours between games, all at home with no travel
vs Pittsburgh x3 then another day off
@ Cleveland x2 then ANOTHER day off
@ St Louis x3 end of season

With these extra days off late on the schedule, they can cut their last 12 games down to a four man rotation and not force anyone to pitch on three days rest. Committing to a four man rotation for those 12 games will also allow you to either have an extra arm in the bullpen or an extra bat on the bench. Let's hope that they keep it up and keep all of this interesting!
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Cards in last place!  Everyone gets a trophy..except St Louis.. 
The only thing I worry about is Reds ownership decides to have another fire sale just for pitching. IDK.Maybe they leave Krell alone and let him do his job..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 01:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's a shame that Corbin Carroll qualifies as a rookie this year (he had 106 ABS last season, which is just below the threshold of 130), because if it weren't for him I'd be 99% sure that the NL Rookie of the Year would have been a Red. Between McLain, EDLC (assuming he picks up the pace), Steer, Abbott and, in the near future, CES, the Reds have the most talented pool of rookies I have ever seen. It's actually remarkable.

I can't believe I'm typing this but I agree. The sky is the limit with this team! I believe this may be the most talented team the Reds have fielded in decades, Big Red Machine days.

I get it, it's all still mostly potential. But, man they have a crap ton of it. 

And I'm grounded, I mean I really, really, doubt we have the starting pitching to be any kind of serious contender this season? But I do believe next season we can be a major player in the post season.

I'll still just stunned by what has developed this season.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 09:36 AM)grampahol Wrote: Cards in last place!  Everyone gets a trophy..except St Louis.. 
The only thing I worry about is Reds ownership decides to have another fire sale just for pitching. IDK.Maybe they leave Krell alone and let him do his job..

Sounds like they are open to being buyers if they are still in it by the trade deadline.

Reds Open To Buying, Spending At Trade Deadline - MLB Trade Rumors
Reply/Quote
Was a busy week with all De La Cruz had to handle. Wise move for Bell to sit him for a game..
Reply/Quote
GREAT WIN over Houston.

I don't know how many of you know it, but the last few years, NOBODY beats Houston, especially IN HOUSTON.

If Reds can win 1 out of the next 2 and win the series IN HOUSTON, not only are The Reds playing good ball this year, but it shows THEY CAN BEAT ANYBODY.

GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds win 10-3 and win the series and will go for the sweep tomorrow! Brewers beat Pirates again so Reds are in second still 1/2 game out of first!
Reply/Quote
First win was a pitcher's duel. The second win was an offensive clinic.

Looking forward to what's in store for the 3rd and final game.

I was going to be happy taking 1 from Houston. The idea of taking all 3 is pretty crazy but now completely possible.

Unfortunately, that will require Luke Weaver not play horrible which...yea, I wouldn't count on it. Still a successful weekend regardless though!
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 08:04 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Reds win 10-3 and win the series and will go for the sweep tomorrow! Brewers beat Pirates again so Reds are in second still 1/2 game out of first!

YES, Reds have did what few teams have done last few years, and THAT is WIN a series IN HOUSTON. 

This is a time for Reds and Reds Fans to be Very Happy.  I was only hoping for better than awful 2022 season. In 2023, Reds are playing as good as any team in baseball.  

Almost Nobody wins in Houston and Reds just did. You add that to the series win over Dodgers and Red Sox lately, Reds are playing Great Baseball.  So great, I really don't want to see trades or players brought back from injury list At This Time, because The Team Chemistry is as good as you can get right now. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 08:06 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: First win was a pitcher's duel. The second win was an offensive clinic.

Looking forward to what's in store for the 3rd and final game.

I was going to be happy taking 1 from Houston. The idea of taking all 3 is pretty crazy but now completely possible.

Unfortunately, that will require Luke Weaver not play horrible which...yea, I wouldn't count on it. Still a successful weekend regardless though!

Perhaps this can be Weaver's coming out party? He's had stretches of innings where he's pitched decent. Then he gives up a walk and a blast and folds up.
The guy he's going up against ain't all that either.

They're hot and nothing seems to big a reach right now. Get on the train Weaver.
Reply/Quote
I'm now officially on the record to say I'm fantasizing about both the Reds and the Bengals winning the championships..World Series and the Super Bowl. I checked..I'm allowed to be disappointed.. lol
Both teams winning the championships? Ya think Cincinnati would make it in the news?  The bigger story would be that just a few years ago both were league bottom feeders.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
At first it looks BIG, but it isn't. REDS TRADE WITH HOUSTON. All Reds did was trade a relief pitcher in Triple A Louisville for Money. Houston gets a relief pitcher who hasn't done very much, but Houston is getting desperate for relief help. The Reds got Money. So Reds didn't trade anybody which is good, because Reds are playing too good to trade anybody right now. Oh, Reds traded a minor league pitcher who wasn't in their plans anyway. With Reds I think he pitched 3 innings and gave up 6 runs, and he is not one of the younger players in minors.

It's not a major trade.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I loved Kuhnel's mindset and approach but he could never get a consistent run of good outings. He'd have two or three scoreless appearances and then get blasted for four runs in 1/3 of an inning.

It is kind of embarrassing for the Reds and for Kuhnel.
"Grandpa Joel?"
"Yes?"
"The Cubs just traded my favorite player, Fernando Tatis IV, to the Astros for Bobby Witt IV . . . teams can just trade players?"
"Surrrre. Even your Grandpa was once traded to the Astros by the Reds."
"REALLY? Who did the Reds get for you?"
"Bill."
"Bill who?"
"Paid electric bill."
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Fraley is back and Hopkins sent back to Louisville.
Reply/Quote
Weaver is not long for this game. 31 pitches, 4 hits, and 2 runs in the 1st inning alone.
Reply/Quote
Reds get the sweep!!!! After that bottom of the 4th with the what should have been a single turned into a little league home run i really didn't think this was our day. Also unless i missed it, was Diaz not available? Otherwise why the hell did he not pitch the 9th with a 1 run lead?
Reply/Quote