Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reds June 2023 thread
Get the broom out

Reds are on fire, damn
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like Votto might be back as early as tomorrow. So the million dollar question is who do you send down to make room? My guess is possibly Maile because it might be getting hard to keep 3 catchers.

https://www.mlb.com/news/joey-votto-expected-to-return-to-cincinnati-reds-from-rehab
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
REDS SWEEP ASTROS IN HOUSTON

Few teams beat Houston, let alone sweep them in their own park. Reds are playing great.

Right, Reds are playing great, so hearing Votto will be back, I'm not sure that is good news. Reds are playing great without him.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 07:09 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Sounds like Votto might be back as early as tomorrow. So the million dollar question is who do you send down to make room? My guess is possibly Maile because it might be getting hard to keep 3 catchers.

https://www.mlb.com/news/joey-votto-expected-to-return-to-cincinnati-reds-from-rehab

I'd say Maile or Myers.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 07:44 PM)kevin Wrote: REDS SWEEP ASTROS IN HOUSTON

Few teams beat Houston, let alone sweep them in their own park. Reds are playing great.

Right, Reds are playing great, so hearing Votto will be back, I'm not sure that is good news. Reds are playing great without him.

A healthy Votto is still an asset.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Votto can play DH for a while and hopefully he will hit. I just hope it isn't a step backward for this team.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 07:44 PM)kevin Wrote: REDS SWEEP ASTROS IN HOUSTON

An extra bat isn't likely to hurt us. I imagine Votto will mostly play DH for us at this point, so he'd likely play on days where Stephenson is behind the plate. 

Our current line up is something like Friedl CF, McLain SS, India 2B, De La Cruz 3B, Steer 1B, Stephenson C, RF Will Benson, LF Nick Senzel with the DH being someone like Jake Fraley, Stuart Fairchild or Kevin Newman.

I could see them moving Fraley to LF to open up DH for Votto, which would bench Senzel, who has been ice cold since his return from the IL, going 0 for 10 with 0 walks and 4 SOs in the series against Houston. He did have one run scored, but that's only because he was the ghost runner in the 10th inning.

Or, on days where Stephenson isn't catching, Steer could move out to LF, Stephenson could DH and Votto could play 1B and Fraley (or Benson, who has been super hot as of late) would be a pinch hitting bat.

We'll have to see how the team does it, but hopefully it doesn't disrupt the chemistry of the team (and I don't think it will).
Reply/Quote
I would guess Bell isn't going to upset the chemistry this team has going right now by thrusting Votto into the starting lineup at 1st batting 3rd right off the bat.

There's 19 games left before the All star break. I'd say Votto will be sprinkled in at DH here and there just to see how he does. Come in and pinch hit late in games and so on. Get a idea of where he's at and how he feels?

Votto has been in decline since the 2018 season save the anomaly of 21 where he did have a power resurgence. His career BA stands at .297 now, I'd bet he'd love to get that back at .300 or above. He's not going to want to play batting .193 and tanking his average and OBP even more. And the team can't afford that either.

Hopefully he'll come out and go out with a boom! But I'm not gonna bet the bank on it.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 08:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Perhaps this can be Weaver's coming out party? He's had stretches of innings where he's pitched decent. Then he gives up a walk and a blast and folds up.
The guy he's going up against ain't all that either.

They're hot and nothing seems to big a reach right now. Get on the train Weaver.

In Luke Weaver's last 3 games, he has put up 
1. 5.0 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K in 98 P
2. 4.2 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 3 K in 93 P 
3. 3.2 IP, 6 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 4 K in 86 P

And the Reds are 3-0 in those 3 games.

It really does speak to the ascension of this offense that he has been able to not only get away with these last 3 games without recording an L, but for the team to have won all 3 is simply remarkable. I don't know how many teams can win consistently when their starting pitcher is throwing 9.00 ERA games out there.

The funniest thing is that middle game (4.2 IP, 3 ER) was against the Royals and, despite not making it to 5 innings, that game actually qualifies as Weaver's 4th best game in terms of ERA haha. He's only had 3 individual games where the ERA has been lower than 5.79. That's out of 11 total starts.

The 3.2 IP 7 ER game against the Dodgers is, by far, his worst as a Red (17.18 ERA), but oddly enough he has had one more game that was worse than last night (5 IP, 5 ER, 9.00 ERA). In April, he pitched 5.2 innings against the Rangers, gave up 8 H, 6 ER, 3 HR, 2 BB, 8 K in 99 P, good for an ERA of 9.53.

And we ALSO won that game!

Luke Weaver playing poorly may actually be a symbol of good luck hahaha.
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping like hell we can take at least two from the Rockies. I mean I hope there's not a let up. The Rockies have the worst team ERA in the NL 5.45 funny the Reds are next to worst 4.88. Lets hope for a sweep because.

Next up the Braves have the 2nd best team ERA in NL 3.77 and have won 46 games soo... we'll be lucky to win more than one there.

I want to see 1st place, which I never would have dreamed a month or so ago. Brewers are facing Dbacks and they're pretty good so now is our time to make hay.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 11:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm hoping like hell we can take at least two from the Rockies. I mean I hope there's not a let up. The Rockies have the worst team ERA in the NL 5.45 funny the Reds are next to worst 4.88. Lets hope for a sweep because.

Next up the Braves have the 2nd best team ERA in NL 3.77 and have won 46 games soo... we'll be lucky to win more than one there.

I want to see 1st place, which I never would have dreamed a month or so ago. Brewers are facing Dbacks and they're pretty good so now is our time to make hay.

I was expecting to open up the Rockies home and away splits to see that their ERA is so bad because they play a mile above sea level.

But nope. Their home ERA is 5.74, but their away ERA is nearly as bad, 5.16.

So yea, I think we should take at least 2 of 3 against them.

The Braves, on the other hand, are one of the few teams that have not disappointed this season (looking at you Yankees, Mets, Padres, Phillies, Dodgers, Blue Jays, Cubs, Red Sox, White Sox, Cardinals and Astros). Among the teams that have a top 16 payroll for 2023, only the Braves and Rangers are leading their division.  There are 3 division leaders in the bottom 11 payrolls (Arizona, Milwaukee[soon to be Cincinnati, also a bottom 10 payroll team], and Tampa Bay) and 4 2nd place teams in the bottom 10 payrolls (Miami, Cincinnati [Soon to be Milwaukee], Cleveland and Baltimore).

If we can take 1 of 3 from the Braves, I'd be happy. 2 of 3, I'd be ecstatic and 3 of 3 and I'm calling for the WS Tongue.
Reply/Quote
Votto is indeed back tonight and batting 6th. No corresponding moved has been announced yet.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 06:13 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Votto is indeed back tonight and batting 6th. No corresponding moved has been announced yet.

They just announced Hunter Greene has been put on the 15 day IL (for the 26 man roster spot), retroactive to yesterday, and they DFA's Kevin Herget (for the 40 man roster spot).

It's a bummer, but hopefully Ashcraft comes back this weekend and kind of makes up for Greene's 2 week absence.

Reply/Quote
Votto was hitting a buck something in Louisville..While I want JV to retire as a Red he really doesn't belong in the starting lineup right now, but who knows..Maybe he'll hit .300 the rest of the way although I have my doubts..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 07:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: Votto was hitting a buck something in Louisville..While I want JV to retire as a Red he really doesn't belong in the starting lineup right now, but who knows..Maybe he'll hit .300 the rest of the way although I have my doubts..

Even with that batting average, his OBP was still 0.340. Votto gets on base even when his bat isn't functioning. I am fine with giving him a shot. Maybe he'll surprise us.
Reply/Quote
Well, I wish Votto well for us but glad he is batting 6th and not higher in the lineup. This team likes to run and Joey will just clog the bases up.
Reply/Quote
Votto with a homer!!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 09:21 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Votto with a homer!!!!

He hammered that ball.  I was so awesome to watch the reaction in that stadium.
Reply/Quote
Votto with a 2 run single! He's looking pretty damn good tonight!
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 07:44 PM)kevin Wrote: Right, Reds are playing great, so hearing Votto will be back, I'm not sure that is good news. Reds are playing great without him.

[Image: clown-pics-and-memes30.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote