Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reds June 2023 thread
11 straight and another sweep. This is pretty crazy. Enjoy the off day tomorrow and then we have a huge weekend series against the Braves. 1957 was the last time the Reds had won 11 straight.

De La Cruz is just so special...he turns ground outs into singles, singles into doubles and fly outs into home runs on a regular basis.

He hasn't even hit his stride yet and is still hitting .321/.387/.536/.923. Both of his doubles this series were singles for every other player in the major leagues, but his speed is just incredible. Once he gets that power swing going, he'll be unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
11 in a row !! woot

Despite a home plate umpire smoking some serious crack.

I don't get super upset at called strikes that are like barely low or just outside, it happens. But how in the name of Zeus's ass do you call balls eye high on players strikes ?????

I mean they weren't even kinda close, a friggin foot high. That dude needs some serious dressing down on calling balls and strikes.

RANT OFF
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 04:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 11 in a row !! woot

Despite a home plate umpire smoking some serious crack.  

I don't get super upset at called strikes that are like barely low or just outside, it happens. But how in the name of Zeus's ass do you call balls eye high on players strikes ?????

I mean they weren't even kinda close, a friggin foot high. That dude needs some serious dressing down on calling balls and strikes.

RANT OFF

Those high strikes against Maile and Friedl were absolutely absurd. That's Umpire firing material if I'm the MLB.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 04:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Those high strikes against Maile and Friedl were absolutely absurd. That's Umpire firing material if I'm the MLB.

For sure

I'm not expert on how they address this. I think they do reviews with umpires and balls and strikes on video. Have no idea how they do discipline or whatever?

But in my mind balls that far out of strike zone called strikes need to be red flagged or whatever. And so many redflags in a season and you're done.
Reply/Quote
Diamondbacks 5-1 over the Brewers . . . Reds up by 1.5 games! FIVE games over .500!

So for Eugenio Suarez and Jesse Winker the Reds got . . .

Justin Dunn - battling arm injuries but has good stuff - he'd be great in the pen for long relief
Brandon Williamson - bumped up due to injuries in the rotation - has been very solid in most stretches but still walking a bit too many
Jake Fraley - see below
and the "player to be named later" was Connor Phillips, so far, 2-2 3.23 ERA with 109 strikeouts in 64 innings at AA Chattanooga.

Suarez
2022 - 150 games - .236 - 31 HR - 87 RBI - . . . a career high 196 strikeouts led the league
2023 - 71 games - .215 - 7 HR - 39 RBI - . . . 87 strikeouts
Winker
2022 - 136 games - .219 - 14 HR - 53 RBI - . . . 103 strikeouts - traded in off-season to Milwaukee
2023 - 43 games - .200 - 1 HR - 16 RBI - . . . 38 strikeouts - picked up his 1st HR yesterday - very poor defender
Fraley
2022 - 68 games - .259 - 12 HR - 28 RBI . . . played injured early, came back up later and has been playing on the same level up through today
2023 - 59 games - .270 - 9 HR - 44 RBI

Fraley 90 total strikeouts in 127 games as a Red
Suarez 283 total strikeouts in 221 games as a Mariner
Winker 141 total strikeouts in 179 games since the trade

yearly .OPS since the trade . . . GABP is a hitter friendly park
Suarez - career .811 as a Red
2022 - .791
2023 - .641
Winker - career .888 as a Red
2022 - .688
2023 - .562
Fraley - career .656 as a Mariner
2022 - .812
2023 - .823

He was a throw in on the deal because the Reds needed a MLB ready outfielder to replace Winker. It would be like Cincinnati adding Stuart Fairchild in a trade, he gets injured and then he goes off. They got money off of their payroll with that trade, then had one terrible, terrible season and are now sitting pretty damn fortunate.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 04:07 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 11 straight and another sweep. This is pretty crazy. Enjoy the off day tomorrow and then we have a huge weekend series against the Braves. 1957 was the last time the Reds had won 11 straight.

De La Cruz is just so special...he turns ground outs into singles, singles into doubles and fly outs into home runs on a regular basis.

He hasn't even hit his stride yet and is still hitting .321/.387/.536/.923. Both of his doubles this series were singles for every other player in the major leagues, but his speed is just incredible. Once he gets that power swing going, he'll be unstoppable.

A good post worth repeating. FIRST PLACE REDS stay in FIRST PLACE with SWEEP over Rockies in Cincinnati.  A much needed day off, especially for the bullpen.  Tough Atlanta comes in Friday for the weekend.  Reds vs Braves should be a great hard fought series, should fill the stands. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 11:55 AM)kevin Wrote: Some of this has been joking around, but I'm not joking on this.  Just as some said to keep AJ Green or Andy Dalton or that top pick WR that never panned out, I think his name Ross or something, or to keep Burfict. New Bengals dumped payroll on many in order to build a Super Bowl team.  Reds must do the same.  Reds have dumped much payroll.  Next year they will no longer have to pay The Moose to play for Colorado.  Go that one step further, and no more Votto.  Just as it became time for Take A Seat Pete, it is time for Let Go Of Votto.  He should retire end of this year and Reds have Joey Votto Day.  If he goes to another team next year, then Reds have Joey Votto Day in a year to be named later.  The Reds need to take what they pay Votto and apply it to keeping the other players on this 2023 team into the future.  

Votto is The Past and these new Reds are The Future.....Just as AJ Green, and Ross and Dalton and Burfict became The Past, and these new Bengals became The Future. 

There came a time for Take A Seat Pete.  Now it is time for Let Go Of Votto. 

If he does manage to hit 400 and they win the WS  he'll have a statue on Fountain Square ..LOL I'm almost pretty sure it ain't happening though, but it would be awesome ? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I wonder if the Reds sweep the Braves will the Reds get an honorable mention in the national media? Probably not. The big news in the NY Times is how bad the Cards have been.. Fine by me though. I kind of like em flying under the radar.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don't get to watch many games down here in Florida. I just wanted to say my family is on cloud 9. They have a group of 21 going to Friday night games against the Braves. I applaud all of you for being loyal Reds fans in bad times.

I have looking in on gamecast recently. it is good to see them win tight games. It is also fun to see (I have seen a few games live) the youthful excitement being generated by this team.

Congrats to all Reds fans and I hope they can continue to play great baseball. I don't think anyone had the Reds in first place in the month of June.

Fun times in Cincy sports right now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The Reds are hot right now. Hope it continues. Don't be a fair weather fan.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I'd like to give a shout out to TJ Friedl. He has kinda become lost in all the DLC, McClain, Steer, Abbott, and even CES hype. But he's been one of the bigger catalysts of this team.

I don't know much about his minor league story? But I do know he was basically considered a fringe player and many weren't even sure he was major league material. His minor league stats aren't awful, but they don't jump off the page at you either.

Is this just a flash in the pan and he'll revert back to pretty average stats at some point? who knows? But I'm pulling for him to stick and finally make some hay.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 09:25 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know much about his minor league story? 

He was known as a hustle player, but fringe prospect like you mentioned.
Reply/Quote
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17255032/tj-friedl-strange-journey-signing-undrafted-free-agent

Friedl's signing was very odd in that nobody for awhile, including TJ himself, even knew he was eligible.
Reply/Quote
Well, Weaver getting rocked...again
Reply/Quote
Well the win steak was fun while it lasted. I know it's only the first but it would truly be a miracle if they came back.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 08:01 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Well the win steak was fun while it lasted. I know it's only the first but it would truly be a miracle if they came back.

They've got to get Weaver out of the starting rotation
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 08:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They've got to get Weaver out of the starting rotation

Guess i should know better than to give up so soon.
Reply/Quote
Luke Weaver gives up 5 ER in 3.1 IP and somehow will avoid the decision once again (posting this right after Votto's game tying homerun).

That's unbelievable.
Reply/Quote
[Image: VottoStillBangs_JoeyVotto_MLBPA_Breaking...1627596566]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Uh oh Elly needs a triple for the cycle.
Reply/Quote