Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reds June 2023 thread
Brewers are losing 7-1 in the 4th. If both scores hold Reds are in first!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Reds win 5-4! Moose stranded at third. Votto has a great night.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Reds win their 9th in a row!!!!! Reds are about to be in first!!! Diaz sure pulled his own ass out of the fire.
Reply/Quote
Really happy for JV and the rest of the team. 1st place!  Longest current win streak in the league..AND Once again..Cardinals in LAST PLACE!  That's almost as wonderful as the Squeelers being in last place.. Wink
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Feels like Votto has been around since the 70s..I'm old enough to be his dad.. lol  That's an odd feeling..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
WOW!!

I was on the road all day and didn't get to watch and caught very little on the radio. But Votto with an HR and 3 RBI's, who woulda thunk it?? Great for him!! Perhaps he'll fool us all and go out with a giant BOOM

I was prepared for the exact opposite of this come back. Perhaps he really is healed up and can contribute?

Reds in 1st place, I'm just stunned all the way around.
Reply/Quote
It's official Reds are in first place!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Even the fan base is fired up for this team.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
This is wild to watch. I thought for sure we'd be last place by now.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 09:26 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This is wild to watch. I thought for sure we'd be last place by now.

Me too Shocked

This is the most shocked I've ever been in my Cincinnati fandom, including the Bengals couple years ago. I'd have bet money they'd be 15 games out by now heading for another 100 loss season.

Even if they don't win the division this year I'm still way, way, waayyyyyyy more excited to watch Reds baseball this summer than I ever dreamed I'd be.

If they can only somehow get a bit better at starting pitching.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 09:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me too Shocked

This is the most shocked I've ever been in my Cincinnati fandom, including the Bengals couple years ago. I'd have bet money they'd be 15 games out by now heading for another 100 loss season.

Even if they don't win the division this year I'm still way, way, waayyyyyyy more excited to watch Reds baseball this summer than I ever dreamed I'd be.

If they can only somehow get a bit better at starting pitching.

It's fun watching the young guys do well. I hope they can keep whatever core stars emerge from this group together.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 11:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: WOW!!

I was on the road all day and didn't get to watch and caught very little on the radio. But Votto with an HR and 3 RBI's, who woulda thunk it?? Great for him!! Perhaps he'll fool us all and go out with a giant BOOM

I was prepared for the exact opposite of this come back. Perhaps he really is healed up and can contribute?

Reds in 1st place, I'm just stunned all the way around.

The narrative surrounding Votto is so interesting to me. In 2021, he had an OPS+ of 139 (39% better than the average player) with a slash line of .266/.375/.563/.938.

In 2022, he was clearly injured and had surgery to repair his arm which he said he had been playing with pain for several seasons and he didn't realize it was an injury until that year. He tweeted "I didn’t know I was hurt. Thought I just stunk."

I didn't think he'd come back and be an all star or anything like that, but he's been an above average hitter for, literally, his entire career. His lowest OPS+ ever recorded before 2022 was a 95 in 2019, a season where he was also playing through some injuries (Hamstring injury in May 2019, back injury in June, back injury again in August, Illness in September). He had a slightly down year in 2020 (OPS+ of 107) as he struggled to find his power following his 2019 injury season (and also COVID made everything kind of weird). In every other year, he didn't drop below 125 OPS+.

Very few teams have a better #6/#7 hitter available to them than Joey Votto, even coming off of an injury.
Reply/Quote
Wil Myers was reinstated from the IL and then DFA'd.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/06/reds-designate-wil-myers-for-assignment.html
Reply/Quote
10 wins in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish the 9th inning didn't have to be nerve wrecking all the time.
Reply/Quote
Reds won again, almost had a heart attack at the end
Reply/Quote
10 Wink

Abbott tomorrow for day game, lets make it 11
Reply/Quote
REDS in First Place just won 10 straight games for first time in 10 years and are the hottest team in baseball. I'll add a good sized crowd tonight in GABP. I'll add Reds just won Rockies series, going for the sweep tomorrow afternoon.

Diaz is showing signs of fatigue as he struggled to get save 20. As announcers said, he has pitched a lot lately. Maybe do not pitch him tomorrow and a day off Thursday would give Diaz a much needed 2 games off. He could put up 40 saves like Clase of Cleveland last year, but you don't want to burn him out with July, August, September and maybe October still to go. Someone else is going to have to take some save opportunities, or Diaz will be out of gas or injured. You really don't want Diaz to have more than 40 saves if Reds in First Place are now thinking Diaz in October Play-Offs.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 11:17 PM)kevin Wrote: REDS in First Place just won 10 straight games for first time in 10 years and are the hottest team in baseball.  I'll add a good sized crowd tonight in GABP.  I'll add Reds just won Rockies series, going for the sweep tomorrow afternoon.

Diaz is showing signs of fatigue as he struggled to get save 20.  As announcers said, he has pitched a lot lately.  Maybe do not pitch him tomorrow and a day off Thursday would give Diaz a much needed 2 games off.  He could put up 40 saves like Clase of Cleveland last year, but you don't want to burn him out with July, August, September and maybe October still to go. Someone else is going to have to take some save opportunities, or Diaz will be out of gas or injured.  You really don't want Diaz to have more than 40 saves if Reds in First Place are now thinking Diaz in October Play-Offs.

Diaz just threw almost 30 pitches tonight. Safe to say he's not pitching tomorrow and with Abbott starting it probably won't be necessary anyway.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 12:53 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The narrative surrounding Votto is so interesting to me. In 2021, he had an OPS+ of 139 (39% better than the average player) with a slash line of .266/.375/.563/.938.

In 2022, he was clearly injured and had surgery to repair his arm which he said he had been playing with pain for several seasons and he didn't realize it was an injury until that year. He tweeted "I didn’t know I was hurt. Thought I just stunk."

I didn't think he'd come back and be an all star or anything like that, but he's been an above average hitter for, literally, his entire career. His lowest OPS+ ever recorded before 2022 was a 95 in 2019, a season where he was also playing through some injuries (Hamstring injury in May 2019, back injury in June, back injury again in August, Illness in September). He had a slightly down year in 2020 (OPS+ of 107) as he struggled to find his power following his 2019 injury season (and also COVID made everything kind of weird). In every other year, he didn't drop below 125 OPS+.

Very few teams have a better #6/#7 hitter available to them than Joey Votto, even coming off of an injury.

Think the Reds will pick up his option after the season if he hits .400 and belts out 20 HRs?  Heck, if he's almost 40 and hitting .400 sign him another 10 years! LOL

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2023, 11:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: Think the Reds will pick up his option after the season if he hits .400 and belts out 20 HRs?  Heck, if he's almost 40 and hitting .400 sign him another 10 years! LOL

Some of this has been joking around, but I'm not joking on this.  Just as some said to keep AJ Green or Andy Dalton or that top pick WR that never panned out, I think his name Ross or something, or to keep Burfict. New Bengals dumped payroll on many in order to build a Super Bowl team.  Reds must do the same.  Reds have dumped much payroll.  Next year they will no longer have to pay The Moose to play for Colorado.  Go that one step further, and no more Votto.  Just as it became time for Take A Seat Pete, it is time for Let Go Of Votto.  He should retire end of this year and Reds have Joey Votto Day.  If he goes to another team next year, then Reds have Joey Votto Day in a year to be named later.  The Reds need to take what they pay Votto and apply it to keeping the other players on this 2023 team into the future.  

Votto is The Past and these new Reds are The Future.....Just as AJ Green, and Ross and Dalton and Burfict became The Past, and these new Bengals became The Future. 

There came a time for Take A Seat Pete.  Now it is time for Let Go Of Votto. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote